Jamal Fogarty joins Canberra Raiders on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Re: Canberra Raiders linked to Gold Coast Titans half Jamal Fogarty

Post by Lui_Bon »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 22, 2021, 11:00 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: September 22, 2021, 10:45 pm Can't say I've watched enough of Fogarty to have a strong opinion. What I have seen is quite underwhelming. He's a 27 year old who has played about 2 First Grade seasons with the Titans. Doesn't scream success. Seems to have a decent skillset, but doesn't seem to be a great game manager. He's possibly a better than our existing options though. At least he is a genuine halfback.

I'm very interested in the fact the club is persuing him, Peachey and CHT. My only question is whether they are chasing all three at once, which would completely turn our attacking structure on its head. I have no doubts that we would have the cap space to do so.

Interesting days.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
He's not a great game manager. He's not even a great player. The Titans looked directionless against the Roosters with him steering the ship, or failing to steer the ship more accurately. But you'd be hard-pressed to say he's not a first-grader, and hopefully we will have enough ad-lib attack elsewhere in the team to compensate. If he can chime in with some kicking, goalkicking and assists here and there it's a win
Yes, I agree with you - you're on the half-empty spectrum and I like him a bit more, without going overboard, but it's still a win for the club compared to what we have now.

I'd still prefer Lewis Dodds.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

kiwi raider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: September 22, 2021, 8:02 pm

Nine News Queensland suggesting it is a three year deal, not that the particular reporter is that reliable with his information.
Jesus christ this is a travesty. Surely there is someone better.

I mean how on earth does wally lewis get a gig reading the news?

All for fogarty though! Sign him up
I'm sure during yhe job interview Wally's was dictating terms.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

We need a better 7 than the options we currently have on the books. Fogarty is better and can hopefully produce consistent competent performance week after week. We have recruited young players in the 7 position and I await their development. Fogarty played 21 matches for the Titans this year with a 33% win percentage. We go into this with eyes wide open knowing we are not buying brilliance. We are looking to upgrade the weakest positional link in the Raiders squad. Fogarty will provide that upgrade.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Lui_Bon wrote: September 22, 2021, 11:00 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: September 22, 2021, 10:45 pm Can't say I've watched enough of Fogarty to have a strong opinion. What I have seen is quite underwhelming. Seems to have a decent skillset, but doesn't seem to be a great game manager. He's probably better than our existing options though.

I'm very interested in the fact the club is persuing him, Peachey and CHT. My only question is whether they are chasing all three at once, which would completely turn our attacking structure on its head. I have no doubts that we would have the cap space to do so.

Interesting days.

I reckon I've seen every Titans game this year (though to be fair I think I've missed about three NRL games all season - possibly I need a life) and Fogarty isn't a great linebreaker but he has a nice short ball and a good kicking game. Mostly though he has a calm head that isn't just about putting up dinky kicks. In the last couple of weeks I've seen a few Warrington games with George Williams (by way of comparison) and Fogarty is probably better that George. Of course he's not hindered by Old Man Widdop and Blake Austin coming off the bench to give away penalties, but still...

With Fogarty, Peachey would be an even more excellent moneyball buy. And there'd be no need to chase CHT because the obvious idea would be for Fogarty to fill a gap, or win a premiership, while we wait for Schneider to get a bit more game time and become a superstar. Haha fingers crossed.
Interesting movie !!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

How's his defence?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

This will do for now.

They’d better be a bigger target in the crosshairs though.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 23, 2021, 6:08 am How's his defence?
89.4% tackle efficiency Dr Zaius. He will be better than Sam Williams.
https://www.titans.com.au/teams/telstra ... l-fogarty/
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

RedRaider wrote:
not the highest benchmark Redmund

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: September 22, 2021, 8:35 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 22, 2021, 8:05 pm Best option available. Much prefer Fogarty over Ash Taylor, Brooks, Dylan Brown, Cust, Milford, Lachlan Lam, Townsend (even if they were available). Gold Coast's attack has looked good this year - helps if you have Justin Hollbrook as coach as well !

Cannot understand why we cannot sign both Peachey and Fogarty - I pointed out on another post we have around $1.3 million to spend with the departures of G Williams, Scott and Ryan James.
I agree. I think the DT are talking out their ......
Yea the way I figured if we swap James for Hazleton, still a cap win. +100k or so on that one.

GWilly would be enough to cover Fogarty.

Scott should cover Peachey.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

It’s been a while since we had a Jamal.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

-PJ- wrote: September 23, 2021, 6:37 am This will do for now.

Realistically though who is the biggest target ?? There isn't much around at all, plus no reserve grade means there is no scoping out potential stars of the future.
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 22, 2021, 10:45 pm Can't say I've watched enough of Fogarty to have a strong opinion. What I have seen is quite underwhelming. He's a 27 year old who has played about 2 First Grade seasons with the Titans. Doesn't scream success. Seems to have a decent skillset, but doesn't seem to be a great game manager. He's possibly a better than our existing options though. At least he is a genuine halfback.

Interesting days.

I've seen him look quite good. Decent pass, good smart short kick and he engages the line and is a running threat. Yes, Papa caught him over 40-50m after he did some dodging but he's zippy enough on the acceleration, moves a lot better than Ash Taylor and Pearce for example. I've literally seen him score length of the field breakaway tries (v Penriff iirc). I'd put him better than Sezer in engaging the line, decent passing, better than Sezer running game but not GWilly level. Defence probably not as strong as those two, but about average for a halfback, not poor.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I like this. I think Fogarty is a good player and a good fit. We’ll be a better team with him.

This isn’t a marquee signing by any stretch but it shows the club is being smart not desperate. Not agreeing to $400K per season for Peachey is the same. That’s only a bit over the average wage yet they aren’t taking it.

This gives me a bit of hope.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: September 23, 2021, 7:27 am
Matt wrote: September 22, 2021, 8:35 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 22, 2021, 8:05 pm Best option available. Much prefer Fogarty over Ash Taylor, Brooks, Dylan Brown, Cust, Milford, Lachlan Lam, Townsend (even if they were available). Gold Coast's attack has looked good this year - helps if you have Justin Hollbrook as coach as well !

Cannot understand why we cannot sign both Peachey and Fogarty - I pointed out on another post we have around $1.3 million to spend with the departures of G Williams, Scott and Ryan James.
I agree. I think the DT are talking out their ......
Yea the way I figured if we swap James for Hazleton, still a cap win. +100k or so on that one.

GWilly would be enough to cover Fogarty.

Scott should cover Peachey.
I agree. Hence my comment :lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: September 23, 2021, 7:21 am
RedRaider wrote:
not the highest benchmark Redmund

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Statically he misses 0.2 fewer tackles than Sezer did, and he was considered a good defender for a half at the time.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Lui_Bon wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: September 22, 2021, 10:45 pm Can't say I've watched enough of Fogarty to have a strong opinion. What I have seen is quite underwhelming. Seems to have a decent skillset, but doesn't seem to be a great game manager. He's probably better than our existing options though.

Interesting days.

I reckon I've seen every Titans game this year (though to be fair I think I've missed about three NRL games all season - possibly I need a life) and Fogarty isn't a great linebreaker but he has a nice short ball and a good kicking game. Mostly though he has a calm head that isn't just about putting up dinky kicks. In the last couple of weeks I've seen a few Warrington games with George Williams (by way of comparison) and Fogarty is probably better that George. Of course he's not hindered by Old Man Widdop and Blake Austin coming off the bench to give away penalties, but still...

With Fogarty, Peachey would be an even more excellent moneyball buy. And there'd be no need to chase CHT because the obvious idea would be for Fogarty to fill a gap, or win a premiership, while we wait for Schneider to get a bit more game time and become a superstar. Haha fingers crossed.
Yeah, I probably wasn't as high on Williams as others. Good running 5/8, but couldn't manage his way out of a wet paper bag. Ordinary long kicking game too. Surprisingly great defender though.

I think Fogarty adds something to our team. He'd clearly be a stopgap though. If both he and Peachey come, at least they have a bit of a combo already going.

badsall1
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: campo

Post by badsall1 »

This is the best option out of all mentioned links so far. 2yr deal is perfect.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Yeah, I am not ecstatic to have him as our 7 next year but it isn't a bad signing either. Having a hard working guy who has had to fight for every opportunity is probably the most positive aspect if he comes to Canberra. And him being thought of highly enough at the Titans to captain them speaks volumes for him as an individual.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

He'll be fine without being brilliant.

Sezer mark 2.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I called this way back when we heard G Willy was on the nose.
He's a better option than what we currently have...
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Happy with this signing. We are in an era where there is a shortage of quality number 7’s in the game.

Considering the options available, Jamal Fogarty is easily the best out of the bunch (better than Dylan Brown too).

Give him two years, see how he goes and develop Brad Schneider in the background remain active in the open market.

1. CNK
2. Xavier Savage
3. Harley Smith-Shields
4. Matt Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papali
9. Tom Starling
10. Joseph Tapine
11. CHN
12. Hudson Young
13. Elliot Whitehead

14. Adrian Trevilyan
15. Trey Mooney
16. Ryan Sutton
17. Corey Horsburgh

18. Emre Guler
19. Josh Hodgson
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

I'm surprised the Titans would let him go... I think he's been one of their best players over the last 2 seasons.

Sexton is still very green and I don't think he has much of a running game, he also looks like he's running in quicksand.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

chris83 wrote: September 23, 2021, 7:55 am
-PJ- wrote: September 23, 2021, 6:37 am This will do for now.

Realistically though who is the biggest target ?? There isn't much around at all, plus no reserve grade means there is no scoping out potential stars of the future.
We need to be on the front foot right now, looking 2-3 yrs from now.

We need a plan post Fogarty, and I’d like to think our next halfback will be upper echelon.
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

Fogarty may be on the move... it would solve Raiders ‘weakness’... but Titans say not so fast

Just over one month ago, the Titans extended halfback and co-captain Jamal Fogarty until the end of the 2023 season. Now Fogarty is reportedly eyeing an early exit, with the Raiders keen on luring the 27-year-old to the nation’s capital. The Gold Coast though have put brakes onto the situation, at least for the time being.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 0c0e6627dc
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Meh weedler is rarely right

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Could be a long saga. Fogarty told youngster is starting at No. 7 in 2022. Fogarty says, fine I'll look elsewhere. Raiders make offer. Titans say you can't go. Fogarty says I'd really like to go. Raiders say we'd really like you to come. Titans say no. Fogarty says not happy Jan... etc etc. In the era of player power, guess what happens?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2021, 11:05 am Could be a long saga. Fogarty told youngster is starting at No. 7 in 2022. Fogarty says, fine I'll look elsewhere. Raiders make offer. Titans say you can't go. Fogarty says I'd really like to go. Raiders say we'd really like you to come. Titans say no. Fogarty says not happy Jan... etc etc. In the era of player power, guess what happens?
:thumbsup :welcome: Mr Fogarty
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah if we really want him, and he really wants to be here, it'll happen.
Just might take longer than i initially expected after seeing the Titans CEO comments
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

It’s a bit of a dick move by the Titans to make someone club captain, re-sign them, then a month later go ‘you’re actually a depth player and will be playing Q-Cup unless Sexton or Brimson get injured’.

I predict that he’ll be lining up with our guys on the first day of pre-season.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Swap for Hodgson
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2021, 11:05 am Could be a long saga. Fogarty told youngster is starting at No. 7 in 2022. Fogarty says, fine I'll look elsewhere. Raiders make offer. Titans say you can't go. Fogarty says I'd really like to go. Raiders say we'd really like you to come. Titans say no. Fogarty says not happy Jan... etc etc. In the era of player power, guess what happens?
He's homesick... It's covid... his dad's crook and there's no hospitals or medicine on the Gold Coast... his family doesn't like it there... he needs to be closer to his family...it's a mental health issue...it's a player welfare issue...

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Meh Titans are just playing the game of 'how much are we paying you to play for another club' All clubs are doing it, except for a few stupid ones.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

It's pretty obvious where this is heading. The only unknown for me is how much of hodgos salary they'd want us to pay with a player swap. I'd say nil. Call their bluff and start negotiating with CHT

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Titans douse Raiders' Fogarty interest as exits free up No.7 cash

Canberra's hunt for a new No.7 will continue after Titans officials told the Raiders that co-captain Jamal Fogarty would not be granted an early release to move to the nation's capital.

Veteran Raiders recruitment chief Peter Mulholland said the imminent release of Ryan James to the Broncos would see further funds added to Canberra's halfback pursuit. James is poised to be released early to take up a one-year deal with Brisbane, while fellow veteran Dunamis Lui has also been told he won't be re-signed.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/09/23/tit ... no.7-cash/

Gold Coast Titans refuse to release Jamal Fogarty to pursue deal with Canberra Raiders: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/gold-coast ... ec4e3369d3
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2021, 1:55 pm Titans douse Raiders' Fogarty interest as exits free up No.7 cash

Canberra's hunt for a new No.7 will continue after Titans officials told the Raiders that co-captain Jamal Fogarty would not be granted an early release to move to the nation's capital.

Veteran Raiders recruitment chief Peter Mulholland said the imminent release of Ryan James to the Broncos would see further funds added to Canberra's halfback pursuit. James is poised to be released early to take up a one-year deal with Brisbane, while fellow veteran Dunamis Lui has also been told he won't be re-signed.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/09/23/tit ... no.7-cash/

Gold Coast Titans refuse to release Jamal Fogarty to pursue deal with Canberra Raiders: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/gold-coast ... ec4e3369d3
Titans - 'We won't stand in the way of any player that doesnt want to be a titans player'
Fogarty - 'Hey, I want to go play for canberra'
Raiders - 'Yes, we would love to have you and will pay for your release'

Titans - ''Ummmmmmmm..................No'

Makes so much sense :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Perth Based Raiders Fan