Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Jamal Fogarty joins Canberra Raiders on three year deal

Post by Billy Walker »

Raiders_Pat wrote: October 11, 2021, 1:43 pm
Billy Walker wrote: October 11, 2021, 12:39 pm
Lamenting Actions wrote: October 11, 2021, 12:31 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 11, 2021, 12:03 pm “What I really loved was in the locker room how each player has past players on their locker to remind them of the history of the club.

“I think a lot of young players come into the game these days and don’t appreciate the players who have gone before them and helped get the club to where it is now, so I love that the Raiders include their old boys in things they do like presenting jerseys and being a part of the club.”
Brings an absolute tear to the eye I will admit.
In fairness what old boys could the Titans possibly give a nod too who you’d want your current players to emulate. One thing to say - here’s a picture of Mal, try to be like Mal - a different sell trying to tell player to be like Michael Gordon or Dave Taylor…..
what about Preston Campbell, Mat Rogers, Nate Myles and the great Jordan Rapana?
I guess if they want to put up posters of 4 blokes who all played for the Titans but achieved far greater success at other clubs they should go for it. Not sure it’s a great message to send though :lol:
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Looking forward to seeing how he goes,got to be better than Sammy or Frawley?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Significantly better in attack than those two, from what I've seen + the stats.

Defence- maybe a shade better than those two but nowhere near GWilly. He's a pretty little guy and had his problems at Titans.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: October 11, 2021, 4:30 pm Significantly better in attack than those two, from what I've seen + the stats.

Defence- maybe a shade better than those two but nowhere near GWilly. He's a pretty little guy and had his problems at Titans.
Mate I have a wheelie bin that is a better defender than Sam Williams. I’m not suggesting Fogarty is the world’s best defender but I am suggesting you could chainsaw off a couple of his limbs and I’d still feel safer with him hopping around trying to defend the line than Sam Williams doing whatever it is he tries to do.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

greeneyed wrote: October 11, 2021, 5:41 pm
classy
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

TongueFTW wrote: October 11, 2021, 7:51 am
afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2021, 8:33 pm Fogarty is at best a solid player. A large downgrade on George Williams, which was to be expected. Having Crawley back will hopefully help out to mitigate that loss. His goal kicking ability and experience in leading a team is definitely a plus.

Granted there weren't many options immediately available to us, so I hope that the club still has a more permanent solution on the agenda, and retains the capability to strike when possible. I really want to see a concerted effort to have a kid brought up from within.

A lot of people are bringing up 2016, 2019 and so on, but this isn't the same team. We don't have BJ, Nicko, or Bateman, Rapa is past his prime, Hodgo and Whitehead are ageing and may also be past it, Croker is shot. It's apples and oranges. A lot rests on how our outside backs develop, but really I don't think one move in the market is enough at this stage.
Agree with this. It’s a very different side. Next season will very much depend on how our young outside backs develop their game. Our attack needs to be much better, but the thing is, we didn’t even “grindball” effectively this year. Numerous games where we conceded 30+ points, compared to 2019 and 2020 where it was rare. The side clearly wasn’t fit enough, and not making the extra plays in defence required.

I think there is a lot of revisionist history being applied to George Williams. He was an excellent player. Remember last year we lost the strike of BJ, and didn’t have Bateman for most of the season. Williams was a large part of why we got to the preliminary, and his deficiencies have been greatly exaggerated since his departure. Had an excellent short kicking game, support play, decent ball playing, and was developing his combination with Wighton. His defence was top tier for a half. Fogarty is a solid player, probably the best of all the options we had, but let’s not pretend he is better for the side than George Williams was, purely on field.
Hopefully Fogarty can fix out long kicking game a bit cause G Williams was horrible in that department and Wighton's is erratic to say the least.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

mongoose wrote: October 12, 2021, 8:56 am
afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2021, 8:33 pm Fogarty is at best a solid player. A large downgrade on George Williams, which was to be expected. Having Crawley back will hopefully help out to mitigate that loss. His goal kicking ability and experience in leading a team is definitely a plus.

Granted there weren't many options immediately available to us, so I hope that the club still has a more permanent solution on the agenda, and retains the capability to strike when possible. I really want to see a concerted effort to have a kid brought up from within.

A lot of people are bringing up 2016, 2019 and so on, but this isn't the same team. We don't have BJ, Nicko, or Bateman, Rapa is past his prime, Hodgo and Whitehead are ageing and may also be past it, Croker is shot. It's apples and oranges. A lot rests on how our outside backs develop, but really I don't think one move in the market is enough at this stage.
Agree with this. It’s a very different side. Next season will very much depend on how our young outside backs develop their game. Our attack needs to be much better, but the thing is, we didn’t even “grindball” effectively this year. Numerous games where we conceded 30+ points, compared to 2019 and 2020 where it was rare. The side clearly wasn’t fit enough, and not making the extra plays in defence required.

I think there is a lot of revisionist history being applied to George Williams. He was an excellent player. Remember last year we lost the strike of BJ, and didn’t have Bateman for most of the season. Williams was a large part of why we got to the preliminary, and his deficiencies have been greatly exaggerated since his departure. Had an excellent short kicking game, support play, decent ball playing, and was developing his combination with Wighton. His defence was top tier for a half. Fogarty is a solid player, probably the best of all the options we had, but let’s not pretend he is better for the side than George Williams was, purely on field.
Hopefully Fogarty can fix out long kicking game a bit cause G Williams was horrible in that department and Wighton's is erratic to say the least.
Williams' long kicking game was solid last season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

do we rate him a better player than Chad Townsend? Sharks won a premiership with him as halfback in 2016. I see him as a poor mans Chad Townsend, hopefully I am wrong.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

jimmy82 wrote: October 12, 2021, 4:05 pm do we rate him a better player than Chad Townsend? Sharks won a premiership with him as halfback in 2016. I see him as a poor mans Chad Townsend, hopefully I am wrong.
And the Broncos won a premiership with Shane Perry. Both squads were far stronger outside of the half-back than Canberra's will be next season.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

afgtnk wrote: October 12, 2021, 2:37 pm

Williams' long kicking game was solid last season.
Define solid.

George Williams long kicking game consisted of 30-40 metre chip kicks. His short kicking game held up but his long kicking game was never good enough as a halfback, as he's not a halfback.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I don't think Fogarty is going to give us any more than a 7/10 performace each week but if we had a 7/10 halfback performance against Storm and Manly in those late season games we would have had two more season wins. What I particularly like though is the fact he appears to be a high character guy which I feel will really benefit our squad next year.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

The game really doesn’t have that many quality halfbacks running around. So given we thought we had ours locked in for a few years prior to this season kicking off, we have done extremely well to find someone who is an upgrade on what we currently have whilst seemingly not paying overs.

Let’s not forget earlier this year the Cowboys signed a 30 year old Chad Townsend over 3 years for $2million. $1 million over the same term seems pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

RTW wrote: October 12, 2021, 4:32 pm The game really doesn’t have that many quality halfbacks running around. So given we thought we had ours locked in for a few years prior to this season kicking off, we have done extremely well to find someone who is an upgrade on what we currently have whilst seemingly not paying overs.

Let’s not forget earlier this year the Cowboys signed a 30 year old Chad Townsend over 3 years for $2million. $1 million over the same term seems pretty good.

That's how I view this. I would much rather pay $350-400k for Fogarty which is probably about right rather than $600-800k for Brooks or $700k for Townsend. Although if we aren't using the funds saved here to bolster our squad somewhere else, then it doesn't really matter. I'm hoping we've targeted somebody decent for 2023 with a view to push for an early release.
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

RTW wrote: October 12, 2021, 4:32 pm The game really doesn’t have that many quality halfbacks running around. So given we thought we had ours locked in for a few years prior to this season kicking off, we have done extremely well to find someone who is an upgrade on what we currently have whilst seemingly not paying overs.

My thought process as well. At the start of the season I was thinking about the number of starting 7’s that are just average players.

As you said, the club has done very well given the situation.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

There is going to be a lot of pressure from the fan base on a bloke that's essentially a seasoned reserve grader entering his 3rd season in the top grade at age 28.

I do not mean to denigrate him at all. I hope he kills it, almost more for his sake than the teams given the celebration upon his signing.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

PerthRaider86 wrote:We sign Fogarty...... yet Luke Brooks wins the Tigers 'Player of the Season'...... Missed opportunity there :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
They will do anything to part with him it seems

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I hope he proves to be better than Townsend. Nobody wants your halfback hauled from the field in a sudden death finals game.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: October 12, 2021, 4:55 pm There is going to be a lot of pressure from the fan base on a bloke that's essentially a seasoned reserve grader entering his 3rd season in the top grade at age 28.

I do not mean to denigrate him at all. I hope he kills it, almost more for his sake than the teams given the celebration upon his signing.
I think most of the reasonable fans have pretty modest expectations of him

For me, I don’t expect much
I want him to be give us a little ball playing, mostly ball distribution, provide a primary 5th tackler kicker, make his tackles and support the ball carrier

I think he can do that
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

As long as he keeps Jack wighton away from playmaking he's done his job

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I expect immortal.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Jamal Fogarty joins Canberra Raiders on three year deal

Post by Sid »

I know he will be starting 7 next year, but the 350k per annum price tag would kind of be between backup half and starting half wouldn’t it?

I suppose between his wage and Jack (rightfully) being on around 900ish k per annum the 1.3M mark for a halves pairing would probably be slightly lower than most teams

Edit: all kind of moot with 3rd party deals/ no transparency in cap etc.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

jimmy82 wrote: October 12, 2021, 4:05 pm do we rate him a better player than Chad Townsend? Sharks won a premiership with him as halfback in 2016. I see him as a poor mans Chad Townsend, hopefully I am wrong.
Very close. He runs signicantly better than the Chad but Chad may shade him for kicking. So I don't disagree with you. But Chad is being wildly overpaid at 750k and we have Jamal at half that. And he is a hell of a lot closer (+ on the way up) than half as good...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Id have Fogarty over Chad any day of the week and twice on Sunday's
Which is admittedly a very low bar to clear.

Cousin Chad **** sucks :lol:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I wouldn’t describe Jack’s long kicking game as erratic. I thought we was quite consistent. He consistently put 1 out of 5 kicks 10 rows back! :lol:
Last edited by Billy Walker on October 12, 2021, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: October 12, 2021, 7:00 pm Id have Fogarty over Chad any day of the week and twice on Sunday's

Cool. Explain to us where you think the difference lies and add something to the forum.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: October 12, 2021, 7:03 pm
Botman wrote: October 12, 2021, 7:00 pm Id have Fogarty over Chad any day of the week and twice on Sunday's

Cool. Explain to us where you think the difference lies and add something to the forum.
:lol: oddly aggressive response?

Also I think i did?
Chad sucks... Fogarty doesnt suck.

If you want more, i genuine dont think there is anything Chad does better than Fog.

Defensively i think Fog is smarter and more physical and willing.
Chad has no running game what so ever, Fog is quite good in that area imo
Chad's passing game is akin to Sam Williams, doesnt read and react and pre-determines where the ball is going. Fog isnt a super strong ball player, but he is a touch more instinctive.
Chad moves like his feet are in concrete, despite being run down by Papa, Fog has some speed is a player who can attack in second phase. He does a good job of being alert and supporting ball runners too
I think Chad's best games as a long kicker are better than Fogarty's but he's INCREDIBLY inconsistent. Fog isn't going to be confused for Ricky Stuart as a long kicker but he's reliable game to game
I think Chad's short kicking absolutely reeks. No touch, no feel, just garbage. Again, Fogarty isnt going to be confused for Cooper Cronk but i like it better than Chads.

Honestly i dont think Chad Townsend is an NRL level halfback, he's to me on the same level as Sam Williams/Matt Frawley, so again, we're talking about clearing an extremely low bar. I dont think it's very close at all. Fogarty is a NRL level footballer. Chad isn't.

edit: admittedly i dont think you'll find anyone who rates Cousin Chad as lowly i do. He brings great shame to the Townsend name.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

greeneyed wrote: October 11, 2021, 5:41 pm
I’d have left out the photo of him with the convicted sex offender currently serving time in prison whose stint at the Titans was an unmitigated disaster and caused nothing but disruption, but that’s just me.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: October 12, 2021, 7:20 pm

Also I think i did?

If you want more, i genuine dont think there is anything Chad does better than Fog.

Chad's passing game is akin to Sam Williams, doesnt read and react and pre-determines where the ball is going. Fog isnt a super strong ball player, but he is a touch more instinctive.
Chad moves like his feet are in concrete, despite being run down by Papa, Fog has some speed is a player who can attack in second phase. He does a good job of being alert and supporting ball runners too
I think Chad's best games as a long kicker are better than Fogarty's but he's INCREDIBLY inconsistent. Fog isn't going to be confused for Ricky Stuart as a long kicker but he's reliable game to game
I think Chad's short kicking absolutely reeks. No touch, no feel, just garbage. Again, Fogarty isnt going to be confused for Cooper Cronk but i like it better than Chads.

Honestly i dont think Chad Townsend is an NRL level halfback, he's to me on the same level as Sam Williams/Matt Frawley, so again, we're talking about clearing an extremely low bar. I dont think it's very close at all. Fogarty is a NRL level footballer. Chad isn't.

edit: admittedly i dont think you'll find anyone who rates Cousin Chad as lowly i do. He brings great shame to the Townsend name.
I don't think Chad is a bad halfback. I think he's a contributor. I just think he's on massive overs.

And it was weirdly aggressive, I apologise for that. I'm so bored in lockdown I got on the cans last night.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:lol: i can respect that
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Also I think i did?

I agree with what you have said here about chad except his kicking game. Every time I watch the chad his kicking game is on point. Which imo is the biggest skills for a no 7 and why chad is an nrl half.
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

Also I think i did?

He's not that bad, you don't win a premiership as a halfback if you're below NRL standard.

Are the Cowboys overpaying him and is Fogarty better value? god yes

I actually think Tom Deardan was starting to show something in the back half of the season despite them not winning. Not sure what the Cowboys plan is with him, Chad and Drinkwater though...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

mongoose wrote: October 13, 2021, 9:27 am He's not that bad, you don't win a premiership as a halfback if you're below NRL standard.
It's a good rule and one i generally subscribe to, however there are always exceptions to such rules
Shane Perry and Chad Townsend would be those IMO.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Settle petal...
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.