All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Jamal Fogarty joins Canberra Raiders on three year deal

Post by Botman »

Probably one of the better options available to us
Happy this is done and we can move on to other areas of our team, with an eye still cast dad and wide to look for his successor
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Jamal Fogarty released by Titans, set to sign with Green Machine

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: October 9, 2021, 8:39 am
Matt wrote: October 9, 2021, 8:23 am
BadnMean wrote: October 7, 2021, 4:34 pm Almost there. I assume if the raiders offered 350k or thereabouts, that's more than the Titans will probably want to offer if they see him as their backup half. Plus the intangible of standing the way of a guys FG career when he's really at a career turning point and finally has a chance to really make it.
Pretty sure that's what he'd already agreed too at Titans 300-350K for 2yrs. I'd say even if we offered 500K, we are getting a good deal.
Considering Chad Townsend is on about 700/800k, you're probably right. And not knocking the Chad, I think they are similar output kind of players- pretty good organiser halves who actually do contribute a fair bit- but not quite the main man kind of guys. And a Sharks proved you can win a comp with that sort of half, if you have some quality around it.
Yup. I agree.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Green Fog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

greeneyed wrote: October 9, 2021, 3:38 pm
Billy Walker wrote: October 9, 2021, 2:25 pm Couple of insightful quotes there. Not the warmest or most welcoming things to say.
That’s not all he said. He was being very nice as always and complimentary. Give him a break.
I agree with you .. though You and billy aren’t to dissimilar

Croker = nsw
Green2ooF
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Meninga

Post by Green2ooF »

Does anyone know if he can kick goals?
With no JC, we can’t rely on Raps
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Billy Walker wrote: October 9, 2021, 2:25 pm Couple of insightful quotes there. Not the warmest or most welcoming things to say.
Get help
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Green2ooF wrote:Does anyone know if he can kick goals?
With no JC, we can’t rely on Raps
Yes, kicks at 75% 79/105

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Welcome to the best Rugbrugh Leeg club in the whole wide world Jamal.

You’re going to love the bike tracks.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Welcome to the Raiders Jamal. I am looking forward to watching you play in green over the next few years. I hope you and your family settle into the ACT well.
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Drandyt »

ok, footy brains - does Jamal's selection signal a more attacking Raiders brand of football in 2022? I for one would like to see some more creative plays, rather than the standard one out ball the Raiders 0f 21 demonstrated.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The meeting that sealed Fogarty's Raiders move

The Courier Mail reports that departing Gold Coast co-captain Jamal Fogarty has no bad blood with the Titans in the wake of his release to the Raiders. His one on one review with coach Justin Holbrook revealed the club had "different ideas" for him in 2022, which led him to seek another opportunity.

Read more: https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nr ... 860c2e2f89

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Drandyt wrote:ok, footy brains - does Jamal's selection signal a more attacking Raiders brand of football in 2022? I for one would like to see some more creative plays, rather than the standard one out ball the Raiders 0f 21 demonstrated.
Yes, hence why Mick Crawley has been re-signed as attacking coach

Sticky finally realised grind ball doesn't work

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Drandyt wrote: October 10, 2021, 1:08 pm ok, footy brains - does Jamal's selection signal a more attacking Raiders brand of football in 2022? I for one would like to see some more creative plays, rather than the standard one out ball the Raiders 0f 21 demonstrated.
Jamal is certainly capable of that kind of style. I'd say he's a better passer than GWilly. Not the same pace but still enough running threat to keep the defence on their toes.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The signing of Mick Crawley was the indicator that Attack is Back at the Raiders. To make the most of it though we needed a consistent FG quality half back. Jamal Fogarty is better than any other 7 currently on our roster so to sign him was a no brainer. There was also the fact that we could offer him FG for next season and the Titans coach wanted to move Jamal back to Qld Intrust Cup. From Co-Captain to Reggies and I reckon Jamal said No Thanks.

We should be clear about what we are getting though. Jamal is no Cleary or Keary or DCE. He is an NRL quality 7 but not a rep player. Such a player was enough to get us to a Grand Final in 2019. Can Jamal go one better and help us win it? That's the plan I reckon.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Has to be better than Sammy or Frawley
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

dubby wrote: October 10, 2021, 5:38 pm Has to be better than Sammy or Frawley
Mate I’m tipping Chris O’Sullivan would still be more competitive than those two.
Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Good signing. One thing you can say about the Titans over the past couple of years is they are quite good to watch in attack and he has been to implement such a game plan. With a new attacking mindset guided by Crawley he should be useful for us
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I’m pretty sure the meeting that convinced him to join would have been something like..
Look Foges. Papalii’s made a fool of you twice. He’s chased you down and ankle tapped you, and he’s run through you like Hodgo breaking a door. Sign here, and we’ll promise Papa won’t haunt you anymore.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Noobs
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Noobs »

When was the last time we had an organising halfback with good skills all round? G Willy was not what we needed to get the best out of our team (and Jack). Very astute signing which will pay massive dividends for us moving forward. Our only impediment now is Toots medical retirement.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Noobs wrote:When was the last time we had an organising halfback with good skills all round? G Willy was not what we needed to get the best out of our team (and Jack). Very astute signing which will pay massive dividends for us moving forward. Our only impediment now is Toots medical retirement.
wasn't George our 7 when Jack got the Dally M and we went to the prelim?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Fogarty is at best a solid player. A large downgrade on George Williams, which was to be expected. Having Crawley back will hopefully help out to mitigate that loss. His goal kicking ability and experience in leading a team is definitely a plus.

Granted there weren't many options immediately available to us, so I hope that the club still has a more permanent solution on the agenda, and retains the capability to strike when possible. I really want to see a concerted effort to have a kid brought up from within.

A lot of people are bringing up 2016, 2019 and so on, but this isn't the same team. We don't have BJ, Nicko, or Bateman, Rapa is past his prime, Hodgo and Whitehead are ageing and may also be past it, Croker is shot. It's apples and oranges. A lot rests on how our outside backs develop, but really I don't think one move in the market is enough at this stage.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2021, 8:33 pm Fogarty is at best a solid player. A large downgrade on George Williams, which was to be expected. Having Crawley back will hopefully help out to mitigate that loss. His goal kicking ability and experience in leading a team is definitely a plus.

Granted there weren't many options immediately available to us, so I hope that the club still has a more permanent solution on the agenda, and retains the capability to strike when possible. I really want to see a concerted effort to have a kid brought up from within.

A lot of people are bringing up 2016, 2019 and so on, but this isn't the same team. We don't have BJ, Nicko, or Bateman, Rapa is past his prime, Hodgo and Whitehead are ageing and may also be past it, Croker is shot. It's apples and oranges. A lot rests on how our outside backs develop, but really I don't think one move in the market is enough at this stage.
I agree with a lot of what you said except Raps. He had his best season for a very long time. He’s adjusted his game as he has got older sure, but he was just about the only shining light this year (sad) for the team. So arguably he produced his best.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

-TW- wrote: October 10, 2021, 2:02 pm The meeting that sealed Fogarty's Raiders move

The Courier Mail reports that departing Gold Coast co-captain Jamal Fogarty has no bad blood with the Titans in the wake of his release to the Raiders. His one on one review with coach Justin Holbrook revealed the club had "different ideas" for him in 2022, which led him to seek another opportunity.

Read more: https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nr ... 860c2e2f89

I don't like signing based on personality, but I really am impressed with how Jamal conducts himself. He's grateful to be in the grade and he's a professional. He could be just what the doctor ordered after our dressing room schism and some tantrum-throwing among the players in 2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I’m very confident Stick and Mick will add to Fogs game.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2021, 8:33 pm Fogarty is at best a solid player. A large downgrade on George Williams, which was to be expected. Having Crawley back will hopefully help out to mitigate that loss. His goal kicking ability and experience in leading a team is definitely a plus.

Agree with this. It’s a very different side. Next season will very much depend on how our young outside backs develop their game. Our attack needs to be much better, but the thing is, we didn’t even “grindball” effectively this year. Numerous games where we conceded 30+ points, compared to 2019 and 2020 where it was rare. The side clearly wasn’t fit enough, and not making the extra plays in defence required.

I think there is a lot of revisionist history being applied to George Williams. He was an excellent player. Remember last year we lost the strike of BJ, and didn’t have Bateman for most of the season. Williams was a large part of why we got to the preliminary, and his deficiencies have been greatly exaggerated since his departure. Had an excellent short kicking game, support play, decent ball playing, and was developing his combination with Wighton. His defence was top tier for a half. Fogarty is a solid player, probably the best of all the options we had, but let’s not pretend he is better for the side than George Williams was, purely on field.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

TongueFTW wrote: October 11, 2021, 7:51 am

Agree with this. It’s a very different side. Next season will very much depend on how our young outside backs develop their game. Our attack needs to be much better, but the thing is, we didn’t even “grindball” effectively this year. Numerous games where we conceded 30+ points, compared to 2019 and 2020 where it was rare. The side clearly wasn’t fit enough, and not making the extra plays in defence required.

I think there is a lot of revisionist history being applied to George Williams. He was an excellent player. Remember last year we lost the strike of BJ, and didn’t have Bateman for most of the season. Williams was a large part of why we got to the preliminary, and his deficiencies have been greatly exaggerated since his departure. Had an excellent short kicking game, support play, decent ball playing, and was developing his combination with Wighton. His defence was top tier for a half. Fogarty is a solid player, probably the best of all the options we had, but let’s not pretend he is better for the side than George Williams was, purely on field.
I agree with all that. The hope for Fogarty would be that he brings more than the sum of the part- simply because he IS a genuine organiser #7, whereas GWilly was really another running #6, with slightly better all round skills in attack than Jacko.

GWilly had all the strengths you point out, but he didn't necessarily make anyone around him look good/better. Here's hoping Fogarty lends us some more fluency and that our gun 2nd rower- CHN- and young edges enjoy the fruits.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

OFFICIAL: Jamal Fogarty signs with Canberra Raiders to end 2024

The Canberra Raiders can confirm the signing of Gold Coast Titans halfback Jamal Fogarty on a three-year deal. Fogarty will join the Raiders after 41 NRL matches for the Titans, including 21 matches in 2021 where he helped the Gold Coast to their first finals appearance since 2016.

“I’m super excited about coming down and meeting the squad,” Fogarty said. “The Raiders have a great roster and coach in Ricky and they’ve had some success over the past few seasons and I’m really excited to join them and be a part of it.”

“I’m looking to bring a bit of game management and direction to the team, and this is what I’ve based my career on,” he said. “I’m also a really clear communicator and if I need to tell someone on the field what to do, I’m confident in doing that. Hopefully, I can bring what I’ve learned and I’m also really excited to work with Ricky and the other coaches to help improve my game.”

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/10 ... e-raiders/

Raiders get their man as ‘super excited’ Fogarty inks three-year deal: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 9c9db5d4d7

'Talent only gets you so far': Why Gold Coast Titans' Jamal Fogarty joined the Canberra Raiders

Jamal Fogarty had just about convinced himself the NRL would be easy by the time he left school.

"Obviously coming out of school being an Australian schoolboy, you kind of think NRL is going to be easy and I'm going to stroll on in," Fogarty said. "For it to take a couple of different turns, I had to go and ply my trade at [Queensland] Cup level for a couple of years and find that balance of professionalism and what it takes to get my body right and to get mentally prepared for the weekly grind.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Very happy with this signing but agree this isn’t the missing piece to the puzzle to us winning a premiership. I think our success lies in how effectively we can introduce and develop the future players coming through. Curious to hear thoughts on how many players from our last game (roosters) will be in the next Raiders team that finishes in the top 4. I’m saying only 4 or 5.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

This is the best and most important signing we’ve made in a long time, probably since Hodgson. Sezer and G Williams were great signing at the time but neither was a genuine half back. It’s so exciting to have someone who can kick properly and organise the attack, we haven’t that in a very long time.

The only caveat is that Hodgson stays on. If we let him go and Starling becomes our starting hooker that’ll put too much pressure on Fogarty to do all the playmaking, creative stuff, which probably isnt his strength. A spine of CNK/Savage, Wighton, Fogarty and Hodgson is probably good enough to get us into the prelims.
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

greeneyed wrote: October 11, 2021, 12:03 pm “What I really loved was in the locker room how each player has past players on their locker to remind them of the history of the club.

“I think a lot of young players come into the game these days and don’t appreciate the players who have gone before them and helped get the club to where it is now, so I love that the Raiders include their old boys in things they do like presenting jerseys and being a part of the club.”
Brings an absolute tear to the eye I will admit.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

We sign Fogarty...... yet Luke Brooks wins the Tigers 'Player of the Season'...... Missed opportunity there :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Lamenting Actions wrote: October 11, 2021, 12:31 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 11, 2021, 12:03 pm “What I really loved was in the locker room how each player has past players on their locker to remind them of the history of the club.

“I think a lot of young players come into the game these days and don’t appreciate the players who have gone before them and helped get the club to where it is now, so I love that the Raiders include their old boys in things they do like presenting jerseys and being a part of the club.”
In fairness what old boys could the Titans possibly give a nod too who you’d want your current players to emulate. One thing to say - here’s a picture of Mal, try to be like Mal - a different sell trying to tell player to be like Michael Gordon or Dave Taylor…..
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Only 41 games? Still a rookie.

Let's hope he goes well.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Never seen snow eh !!!

He’ll be homesick the moment winter hits Berra !!!
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Billy Walker wrote: October 11, 2021, 12:39 pm
Lamenting Actions wrote: October 11, 2021, 12:31 pm

In fairness what old boys could the Titans possibly give a nod too who you’d want your current players to emulate. One thing to say - here’s a picture of Mal, try to be like Mal - a different sell trying to tell player to be like Michael Gordon or Dave Taylor…..
what about Preston Campbell, Mat Rogers, Nate Myles and the great Jordan Rapana?