Canberra Museum and Gallery to help celebrate Raiders 40th year

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Museum and Gallery will hold a special exhibition early in 2022, to help celebrate the Raiders 40th anniversary. The exhibition titled Canberra Raiders: 40 years in the Limelight, will showcase the club’s history on the field, together with the significant contribution the Raiders have made to the community over the past 40 years.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/09 ... 40th-year/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Museum and Gallery to help celebrate Raiders 40th year

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders and CMAG call on Raiders fans to help with Exhibition

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Canberra Raiders’ first game (in Feb 2022), the Canberra Museum and Gallery (CMAG) is curating an exhibition exploring the club’s history, evolution and contribution to the community – and they want to hear from you.

Canberra Raiders: 40 Years in the Limelight is the name of the exhibition and we’re looking to engage and include pieces of Raiders history from a broad cross-section.

So whether you’re a long-time member or just go to the odd game for a bit of fun, if you have a unique or unusual object, something hand-made or from a key moment of Raiders history, or simply a great story or photo, then get in touch.

Simply send through an image of your item(s), photo or story with a description to reception@raiders.com.au with the subject heading ‘CMAG Raiders Submission’ and we will take your submission into consideration.

While we won’t be able to put everything in the show or respond to every email, we will carefully consider all your contributions and we thank you in advance for your enthusiasm for this project. We can’t wait to share this exhibition with you all.

Potential things we’re looking for include may be:

· Unique Clothing (Jerseys/t-shirts/scarves etc)
· Unique or rare memorabilia items
· Flags/banners/posters
· Tickets (particularly early games at Seiffert Oval) or early membership information
· Paper-based ephemera such as /brochures/newspaper clippings
· Home-made items/souvenirs
· Premiership items (t-shirts, flags etc)
· Images of Raiders interacting major community events

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/09 ... xhibition/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Call out for Canberra Raiders' memorabilia for Canberra Museum and Art Gallery exhibition to mark the team's 40th anniversary

Canberra Museum and Gallery and the Canberra Raiders have put out a call for memorabilia, to help mark the NRL team's 40th anniversary.

Canberra Raiders: 40 Years in the Limelight is a specially curated exhibition that - along with a string of other events - will help mark the club's milestone.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... s-history/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Footy superfan to ditch famous lime green suit for exhibition celebrating 40 years of the Canberra Raiders

He’s a man who has gone above and beyond for the Canberra Raiders time and time again, and 2022 will be no different for ‘The Lime Green Suit Guy’ Christopher Veilands, who is set to donate his beloved green suit to help celebrate 40 years of the NRL club. The exhibition will also feature plenty of old-school Raiders merchandise and iconic photos.

The Canberra Raiders: 40 Years in the Limelight exhibition will run at the Canberra Museum + Gallery from 26 February, 2022, until 21 May, 2022.

Read more: https://the-riotact.com/footy-superfan- ... ers/518205
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Famous for being a prized **** too.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Lol do tell, Botty

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Not much to tell. Classic EDIT saw it many, many, many times. Shouts to him for donating him silly green suit of **** for a cause.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

40 Years in the Limelight at CMAG is a celebration of the Canberra Raiders

Over their 40-year existence, the Canberra Raiders have inspired some extreme acts of devotion. One of them has been Tony Wood's creation of Victor the Viking, the mascot whose antics have been synonymous with the Raiders since 1983, the club's second year of existence.

Various versions of the Victor costume, showing its evolution, will be among the items on display at the Canberra Museum and Gallery exhibition Canberra Raiders: 40 years in the limelight which opened on Friday.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

26 FEB 2022—21 MAY 2022

Canberra Raiders: 40 years in the limelight

Affectionately known as the 'Green Machine’ thanks to their trademark lime green jerseys, the Canberra Raiders have taken fans from the highs of premiership victory to the heartbreak of defeat. Over 40 years, they have become an integral part of the identity of Canberra and the region.

Discover the history of the team, their place in the NRL and what they mean to the fans – and the city – who support them. View Raiders’ memorabilia and photographs, including rare jerseys, material from the Raiders’ earliest days and their grand final appearances. Help us celebrate all things Raiders during their 40th anniversary.

Read more: https://www.cmag.com.au/exhibitions/can ... -limelight

9 MAR 2022: Floor talk: Victor the Viking: https://www.cmag.com.au/events/floor-ta ... the-viking
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There’s also some video on our Instagram Stories.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘It will take someone special’: Tony Wood on one day handing over his Victor the Viking suit

Seiffert Oval, Queanbeyan, 1983.

Lime green Woodgers jerseys, tight jeans and mullets are in abundance and the smell of grass, deep heat and meat pies fills the air. The Canberra (Queanbeyan) Raiders are playing to a roaring crowd as kids collect tin cans for cash. A scary-looking man in a Viking suit stands on the sideline, punching the air as the Raiders score their third try of the game.

Read more: https://qnewsmedia.com.au/index.php/202 ... king-suit/
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Went there on Saturday while down from Sydney for the game.

Hate to be negative but though the stuff that was there was good, it was a very small collection. I assumed based on the call out for memorabilia that there would be a lot more. Almost an afterthought, really.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

hrundi89 wrote: March 13, 2022, 10:24 pm Went there on Saturday while down from Sydney for the game.

Hate to be negative but though the stuff that was there was good, it was a very small collection. I assumed based on the call out for memorabilia that there would be a lot more. Almost an afterthought, really.
They turned down a lot of offers, is the feedback I’ve had. It was missing things like premiership trophies and some of the memorabilia of club legends. Ricky Stuart’s or Laurie Daley’s Dally M trophies? The space was very small, but they could have easily fit more into the displays. Some of the stuff included was pre Raiders and some wasn’t the best quality. It could have been much better if curated properly.

In any case I still really enjoyed it. Loved my time walking around.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: March 13, 2022, 10:33 pm
hrundi89 wrote: March 13, 2022, 10:24 pm Went there on Saturday while down from Sydney for the game.

They turned down a lot of offers, is the feedback I’ve had. It was missing things like premiership trophies and some of the memorabilia of club legends. Ricky Stuart’s or Laurie Daley’s Dally M trophies? The space was very small, but they could have easily fit more into the displays. Some of the stuff included was pre Raiders and some wasn’t the best quality. It could have been much better if curated properly.

In any case I still really enjoyed it. Loved my time walking around.
I have to say I enjoyed it. A few things really brought back some memories for me. I totally forgot about those little gold tolkens needed to get through the turnstiles at Seiffert. The 87 grand final T-Shirt with a raider standing on an eagle was once pride of place in my drawer. Some of that “save a raider” fundraiser stuff I still have at home, and really enjoyed some of the early pictures and memorabilia.