Sia Soliola retires

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Sia Soliola retires

Post by -TW- »

Sia Soliola to retire from professional rugby league

Sia Soliola has announced his retirement from professional rugby league today after 17 seasons playing the game at the highest level.

“I’m at ease with everything now,” Soliola said. “There’s a few mixed emotions, I’m excited and a bit nervous but relieved to make the decision to leave the game which has given me a lot and I’m looking forward to what’s ahead.

His announcement headlines several players departing the club playing roster at the end of the 2021 season, with Dunamis Lui, Siliva Havili, Ryan James, Darby Medlyn and Caleb Aekins also finishing their time at the club.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/09 ... by-league/

Canberra Raiders leader Sia Soliola retires after 17 seasons

After 17 seasons and 346 games, Sia Soliola went into Canberra Raiders HQ and cleaned out his locker on Monday, drawing the curtain on a wonderful career. Now he's preparing to welcome his fourth child into his young family and the next stage of his career.

He'll still be wearing lime green, using all of his vast experience to help the next generation of the Green Machine in his new role in player welfare.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

GALLERY: Sia Soliola: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/09 ... a-soliola/

VIDEO: A tribute to Sia Soliola: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/09 ... a-soliola/
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Re: Sia Soliola retires

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Congrats on the career Sia.

Hopefully he is moving into a coaching/mentoring role behind the scenes for the younger guys coming through
Perth Based Raiders Fan
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Congrats big guy. Hope to see you sticking around the club.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Fantastic career - wonderful player, great leader. The time was right for him to retire but Rugby League is poorer for him no longer playing!
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Thanks for everything Sia.

Truly one of the most loved and respected Raiders over the last 6 years; and maybe ever.

And I will cut myself a nice sliver of humble pie on the welfare officer role. I thought it was just a GH thought experiment but it turns out that it was a real thing.

All the best mate and a good thing he isn't lost to the club as I am sure he will be an asset.
Up The Milk
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Firstly, lets acknowledge that this is the correct decision. I don't think Sia has much more to give.

But more importantly, what an influence he has had on our club. When we talk about the English imports changing on our club, I put Sia right up the top of that. I know he is not English, but he played a long time in England and I thought it was that experience that he brought with him and was a massive influence on how he created a relationship with the fans and the other players bought into that. At his best he was a wonderful player for us and a person who simply made our club better on and off the field.

One of our great people. His contribution will never be forgotten and hopefully it will continue in other roles.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

What a legend. Timed this retirement perfectly and you have to admire the man for knowing when the time was right.

Has done so much for the club and he was one of those players that every time he scored a try you'd be so stoked for him. Will definitely go down as a Raiders legend and you can credit his arrival as being at least a decent part of the change in success at the club.

Great he is remaining with the club too. Massive asset and it seems like a role that would be perfect for a bloke with such great leadership and mentoring ability.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Hell of a career. Ticked every box and did so whilst being one of the most widely respected players in the game.
Congrats and thanks for your efforts for us on the park

Im sure he'll continue to have a big impact on people in his new role
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Congrats on your career, Sia, and thanks for what you have done for the Raiders. Enjoy your retirement. This was the right decision for yourself and the club.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Enjoy retirement great man

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Billy Walker wrote: September 28, 2021, 10:34 am Fantastic career - wonderful player, great leader. The time was right for him to retire but Rugby League is poorer for him no longer playing!
Also, while never a big fan of the concept of finding ex-players club roles post career, I can’t think of a better welfare officer for the club. Great call Raiders. I suspect we will see a lot more of Sia in other capacities in the community now he has time on his hands. Anything he does choose to involve himself in will be better for him being a part of it.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

+1 on the sentiment that extra credit goes to a man who has the awareness to make the call at the right time while your star is still shining bright.

Just a guess but I feel he could have squeezed another contract out of the club if he wanted.
Up The Milk
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Congats on a great career.
I hope he stays around our Club in some capacity going forward.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Congratulations on a great career and being a great person. Such a positive influence on the club and playing group.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 28, 2021, 10:48 am +1 on the sentiment that extra credit goes to a man who has the awareness to make the call at the right time while your star is still shining bright.

Just a guess but I feel he could have squeezed another contract out of the club if he wanted.
Mickey I wonder whether Sia decided this sometime during the season and the fact he hasn’t put a spotlight on himself in farewell games or award ceremonies is a sign of his humility. To quietly announce this after the Daly M says a lot I think.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Good call.

Sia was great for the club. I'll remember the big hits, terrorised forwards and halfbacks alike at his peak, even the late ones like the time he killed Billy Slater. Also that time he had to shift out to wing in a depserate injury game and he scored the match sealer with a breakway wingers try. It was unclear if Sia was really that quick still or if everyone else just slowed down out of respect :roflmao
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Another thing of note is that there is no reference to Williams being moved on in that Raiders media releaae

I guess we will have another year of Sammy as a back up.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Raider47 wrote: September 28, 2021, 11:22 am Another thing of note is that there is no reference to Williams being moved on in that Raiders media releaae

Back up to the back up.

Really sad Sia missed out on that 2019 Premiership which would have been the ultimate cap on his career. Bloody "attention to detail" Sutton. He has been a club legend in helping turn us around.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Sia Soliola retires

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Should be the only person blowing the horn each week for 2022
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

Raider47 wrote: September 28, 2021, 11:22 am Another thing of note is that there is no reference to Williams being moved on in that Raiders media releaae

Maybe no decision has been made yet, still no re-signing announcement yet
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

UncleDrew wrote: September 28, 2021, 12:22 pm

Maybe no decision has been made yet, still no re-signing announcement yet
Sam's one year deal was done some time ago.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Love Sia. One of the players that makes you feel proud to support this club. As disappointing as it is to see him hang up the boots it is absolutely the right call, as is the decision to keep this bloke at the club in some capacity. Well done to the club in way they've handled this and well done to Sia on an amazing career.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Darby Medlyn leaving? Oh and good new about Sia staying…
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

The world needs more Sia Soliola's,
Dead set legend.

Will not forget the roar from the crowd when it was announced Sia won the Ken Stephen medal on Grand Final day

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Sia is a legend. Congratulations to him on a long and excellent career. Very important player for us since he joined - in particular, I feel a lot of the previous toxic culture changed once he arrived.

Glad he'll be staying with the club in another capacity.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Hey Sia,

Congrats on a fantastic career.

MrsPJ says you’ve got a rockin bod.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 28, 2021, 11:44 am Should be the only person blowing the horn each week for 2022
I endorse this gesture.

Let’s officially call it the Sia Soliola horn.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Well done for a spectacular career and thank you for being an excellent representative of the club!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Fabulous career Sia and congratulations on your new role with the Raiders. Plenty of memories of strong performances from you and one memory I hope no other player has to go through. That facial fracture and the courage it took to overcome the mental issues to come back to the NRL and play hard footy will always stay with me. I think the timing of your retirement is right and I wish you a long future helping other Raider players in your new role.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

He will still be around the club in some way and rightly so. We became a better club when Sia came aboard.
Great career. Good luck for the rest.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 28, 2021, 10:48 am +1 on the sentiment that extra credit goes to a man who has the awareness to make the call at the right time while your star is still shining bright.

I must have watched a different guy. His star burnt out a few years ago imo. He probably gave us enough value on the contract for what he brought us outside of NRL performances.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: September 28, 2021, 8:09 pm

I must have watched a different guy. His star burnt out a few years ago imo. He probably gave us enough value on the contract for what he brought us outside of NRL performances.
Sia was excellent in 2019. Really helped to lead the forwards well and was a key figure in that ultra physical style we played.

Faded a bit last season, and this year seemed to be a write-off for a few of our forwards, including him.

I'm confident if the team's style and fitness are addressed he'd look a decent standard again, but now's a good time for him to call it a day. You wouldn't want him to go on a season too long.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Botman wrote: September 28, 2021, 8:09 pm

He definitely declined over his last two years but what I am referring to is the Darius Boyd level of star fade where resentment builds the longer you play on while clearly being washed.

Play on too long and your earlier feats risk being tarnished by the late career malaise.

Sia called it before this point, hence why I think his star was still shining, so to speak.

Separately I am concerned that we have other club legends who will very soon be walking down the Darius Boyd route if they aren’t careful.
Up The Milk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

2019 he and Tapine were coming off the bench and really driving us forward

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer