Canberra Raiders sign young Illawarra centre Brandon Morkos on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders sign young Illawarra centre Brandon Morkos on three year deal

Post by greeneyed »

Steelers Schoolboys rep is Canberra bound after inking Raiders deal: There’s more than a touch of irony in the fact that Steelers SG Ball star Brandon Morkos was this week lured away by the 'Raiders': https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/sto ... ders-deal/

Morkos played for the Steelers SG Ball Cup team this year and scored the first try in the Grand Final against the Raiders.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2022 Canberra Raiders Junior Representatives

Post by greeneyed »

Looks like he goes by Brad as well as Brandon. That report says he'll be a development player for first two years and promoted to top 30 in the third year.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Canberra Raiders sign young Illawarra centre Brandon Morkos on three year deal

Post by Billy Walker »

Really excellent news this. I like this very much!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders sign young Illawarra centre Brandon Morkos on three year deal

Post by RedRaider »

Always good to have promising juniors join the Raiders. What does it mean for the Raiders SG Ball centers? Welcome aboard young fella.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Billing and Deakin Bright were our SG Ball centres and both very good players. But Morkos is the Australian Schoolboys centre... so it puts the Raiders in a good spot and it's good competition to have.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

centres are the new second rowers
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: October 10, 2021, 8:17 am Josh Billing and Deakin Bright were our SG Ball centres and both very good players. But Morkos is the Australian Schoolboys centre... so it puts the Raiders in a good spot and it's good competition to have.
He doesn't look overly tall in the photo's. Is he an elusive stepper GE or has lots of pace? You know what my next question is going to be ... what's his defensive play like?
Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

RedRaider wrote: October 10, 2021, 5:39 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 10, 2021, 8:17 am Josh Billing and Deakin Bright were our SG Ball centres and both very good players. But Morkos is the Australian Schoolboys centre... so it puts the Raiders in a good spot and it's good competition to have.
He doesn't look overly tall in the photo's. Is he an elusive stepper GE or has lots of pace? You know what my next question is going to be ... what's his defensive play like?
I saw him in a match between the Steelers and the Raiders in Flegg. In the final he was quiet but in the previous game he showed a bit. His running style reminded me of Herbie Farnworth
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He's very solid physically, I think some of those photos on flickr are a bit out of date. You can see him playing on the NSWRL Facebook page in the SG Ball Grand Final for the Steelers. He was strong in attack, and scored a try. I can't say I took a whole lot of notice of his defence, but the Raiders produced one of the best defensive games I've ever seen in junior footy in that game... and the Steelers weren't far behind.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Thanks GE and Colk. Always good to have quality juniors join the squad. A big jump to NRL but hopefully he can make it for the Raiders.

We had a glimpse with Savage this year and it was a shame Anderson could not play some more lower grade footy to show his skills. Recruiting players like Morkos means we are looking at developing the squad for renewal. That's a good thing.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

RedRaider wrote: October 11, 2021, 6:22 am Thanks GE and Colk. Always good to have quality juniors join the squad. A big jump to NRL but hopefully he can make it for the Raiders.

We had a glimpse with Savage this year and it was a shame Anderson could not play some more lower grade footy to show his skills. Recruiting players like Morkos means we are looking at developing the squad for renewal. That's a good thing.
I suspect this is where our next shot at success comes from. Obviously you need to ease these guys into first grade with experience around them, but I think it will be these new names that give us our next shot at glory. I think if you take the 2021 team that played the final game against the Roosters there might only be 4 or 5 of those players remaining in the next raiders team that finishes in the top 4.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I have a relative who has been a long time official in the Steelers junior set up, he is very upset at this guy leaving, reckons he will be in first grade within a couple of years and "the sky is the limit" for him. Said he is very ambitious, and a great trainer.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Boom rookie slips through Dragons' fingers

An 18-year-old Australian Schoolboy who has joined Canberra could be the one that got away from the Dragons. Brad Morkos signed a long—term deal with the Raiders recently and is so highly regarded he could be in contention for a first grade centre spot next season.

Morkos, who played for Corrimal, Wests, Thirroul and Collies in his time in Wollongong, was a standout for City under 18s against Country last season and has been brought straight into the Raiders' fulltime squad for the pre-season. He'll be given his chance in the trials and has the speed and size to be an instant success.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-t ... 91b684db1f
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

This kid is a gun...Very good signing