Adam Elliott to join Newcastle Knights

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders linked with Adam Elliott

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: October 10, 2021, 5:25 pm As if we didn't learn our lesson with Curtis Scott.
And Carney and Fergo and Dugan and others and we don't appear to have learned. There are some who lose it on the drink. Originally from the South Coast so perhaps the thinking is that he is closer to family and they may be a more positive influence. Backrower of some ability and just over 100 NRL games with the Dogs but the concern is if he can just stop drinking alcohol. Given he was cut loose by the Dogs he would not be much above minimum payment on the Cap. My view would be No given the upheaval among the players this year, but Sticky is likely to put it to the senior player group and get their opinion before making a decision.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders linked to Adam Elliott

Post by bonehead »

he's a flat out reserve grader

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Don't know about this. Lots of off-field stuff, mostly minor in NRL terms but it's how many he's had and the lack of any kind of change of behaviour.

I also don't see what he brings on the field. If he's coming for $200K and sitting outside the 17, then that's okay.

But put the mediocre ability together with the off-field question marks and that's a lot of things that need to improve for him to be a contributor.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 10, 2021, 7:17 pm
Matt wrote: October 10, 2021, 7:12 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 10, 2021, 7:03 pm Lock up your girlfriends !
He's not better than CHN or Young. Prefer one of the Parra dudes or Sims coming off contract than Elliott
Even Dylan Walker as a lock or bench player.
Id take Sims or Lane too.
Agreed. Even Niukore, Matterson and Little Papa. Matt - what do you think of Walker ? I don't like him as a person, he's had a history with taunting some of our players, but i was impressed with his role in the finals and the rule changes suit him
Pretty sure Nuke just signed elsewhere.

Matto is a gun, but your taking on the HIA risk. He is getting closer and closer to the Cordner/Friend zone. Also $$$.

Lil Papa I'd take in a heartbeat. But Eels would be stupid to let him go, and again $$$.

Walker, he had a good yr, but no, not interested in him at all. He is a turnstile defensively. He is not a good human.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I am hopeful this doesn't come to fruition.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

BJ wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:He’s a Bega boy. Bega boys come good. The guy left the country for the big smoke and he got a little loose.

Maybe some tough Stick love in a place like Canberra is just what the doctor ordered
I’m from Pambula and I’ve never seen or heard this ‘Bega boys come’ good malarkey.
You being from down home, and being on here being BJ makes you also a Bega boy come good
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Most of his off field stuff is minor. But the thing with his best mate’s partner? That’s an average move and wouldn’t endear himself to the group one wouldn’t think.
In saying that CHN came with some questionable baggage too and I think he’s been great for the squad and seems to be getting even better.
Comes down to price and whether he would be a negative for the culture. He’s a pretty handy player, experienced and has a real go from what I’ve seen. Stick likes those tough type of players so will be interesting. Snr players would have a big say too I’d suggest.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I don't watch many bulldogs games but when I did, he seemed to have some ability. Someone mentioned he had a good season 2-3 years ago, that might have been when I saw him. I remember Brandy in commentary saying he was their biggest threat with the ball, that "they need to get the ball to Adam Elliott"

It does seem he hasn't kicked on since then. But I don't mind it. It at least shows that we've recognised the need for some ballplaying on the edge/middle

Given our halves and likely fullback, we're going to need all the hands on deck we can get, for ballplaying in other positions
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Good Lord NO!!

Average player.

Dead set scum human.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: October 10, 2021, 7:54 pm he's a flat out reserve grader

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
At best.

May as well start a “Raiders linked the boney” thread.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote: October 11, 2021, 2:30 am Good Lord NO!!

Average player.

Dead set scum human.
Can’t sleep dub ?

Agree by the way..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Can't sleep mate. Having those 3am thoughts
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I don't think he's worth it due to the off field stuff. But from what I saw of Canterbury this year he was their best backrower. Solely on field if you got him next to minimum wage it's a good signing imo. And the club is short in NRL standard backrowers. Don't think it's worth the negative press and risks though.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

I really rate him and think he could fill the ball playing lock role

He’s the closest you’ll get to Yeo in that type of role and obviously different to say Peachey and Walker who are really more of that X factor in attack and can sniff around the ruck but you don’t really fear them in defence

Added bonus is he’ll come relatively cheap and has a point to prove
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
BJ wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:He’s a Bega boy. Bega boys come good. The guy left the country for the big smoke and he got a little loose.

Maybe some tough Stick love in a place like Canberra is just what the doctor ordered
I’m from Pambula and I’ve never seen or heard this ‘Bega boys come’ good malarkey.
You being from down home, and being on here being BJ makes you also a Bega boy come good
I like the low bar you set Fui.

But we don’t want to let people know how good the far south coast is.

Mind you I came to Canberra as a schoolkid but have spent a lot of time back home over the years.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Adam Elliot? Ew.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

He is a big unit who doesnt know when to pass or play with his brain.

Our team already is a bit to big and a bit lacking on the skills and thought front.

Honestly, this is why I hope Jarrod Croker returns to his best, because with him at his best it gives our attack a lot more balance then just trying to run directly over teams.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

If you got him on the cheap it would be a decent signing imo
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I don't remember much of his play, therefore probably neither particularly good nor bad.
I'm interested in the commentary regarding his behaviour. 1. He is caught "pashing" with a girl in or near a toilet apparently with full consent. 2. He was photographed by papparazzi in a private function room specifically hired to host a party which was always likely to be a bit risque and apparently was. The Paparazzi were actually acting like peeping toms, filming from the roof of a building across the street acts that were in no way visible to the ordinary public. They are more culpable than Elliott. 3. Apparently he likes a drink, and is reputed to not handle it too well. That in itself is not an insurmountable problem, but would require firm handling. 4. He is reputed to have raced off a team mates partner. Much more problematical as such behaviour can tear a team apart. Would need to know all the circumstances of the time to come to any realistic conclusion.
To me, points one, two and three should have no bearing on the decision the Raiders need to make, point four is a more serious consideration. Clarify point four and the decision comes down to his potential contribution to the squad, but taking a wowsers point of view is wrong in my opinion.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

papabear wrote: October 11, 2021, 11:02 am He is a big unit who doesnt know when to pass or play with his brain.

Our team already is a bit to big and a bit lacking on the skills and thought front.

Honestly, this is why I hope Jarrod Croker returns to his best, because with him at his best it gives our attack a lot more balance then just trying to run directly over teams.
See I’d argue Croker doesn’t give much in attack, but is helpful in defence because at least you know where the opposition will target all their attacks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

One of the dumbest players on the Bulldogs roster. There's a reason they don't want to keep him that's unrelated to off field issues. Not keen on him making the same stupid decisions for us next year.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Cranky Old Man wrote: October 11, 2021, 2:59 pm I don't remember much of his play, therefore probably neither particularly good nor bad.
I'm interested in the commentary regarding his behaviour. 1. He is caught "pashing" with a girl in or near a toilet apparently with full consent. 2. He was photographed by papparazzi in a private function room specifically hired to host a party which was always likely to be a bit risque and apparently was. The Paparazzi were actually acting like peeping toms, filming from the roof of a building across the street acts that were in no way visible to the ordinary public. They are more culpable than Elliott. 3. Apparently he likes a drink, and is reputed to not handle it too well. That in itself is not an insurmountable problem, but would require firm handling. 4. He is reputed to have raced off a team mates partner. Much more problematical as such behaviour can tear a team apart. Would need to know all the circumstances of the time to come to any realistic conclusion.
To me, points one, two and three should have no bearing on the decision the Raiders need to make, point four is a more serious consideration. Clarify point four and the decision comes down to his potential contribution to the squad, but taking a wowsers point of view is wrong in my opinion.
I generally agree and points 1-3 are nothing issues for me, point 4 is pretty concerning, i worry about that sort of character being in a team ... but it's very Curtis Scott, in that there is a lot of minor stuff that isnt a big deal... and frankly the talent and playing ability isnt worth the risk imo

He's quite simply not a very good footballer imo. I wouldnt be keen on him if he was a clean skin. His histry of incidents just makes it a slam dunk for me. The hardest of hard passes for me.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

julian87 wrote:I don't think he's worth it due to the off field stuff. But from what I saw of Canterbury this year he was their best backrower. Solely on field if you got him next to minimum wage it's a good signing imo. And the club is short in NRL standard backrowers. Don't think it's worth the negative press and risks though.
Being the best backrower at the Bulldogs is akin to being the best looking in the ugly contest.

Pass

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-TW- wrote:
julian87 wrote:I don't think he's worth it due to the off field stuff. But from what I saw of Canterbury this year he was their best backrower. Solely on field if you got him next to minimum wage it's a good signing imo. And the club is short in NRL standard backrowers. Don't think it's worth the negative press and risks though.
Being the best backrower at the Bulldogs is akin to being the best looking in the ugly contest.

Pass

Yeah and I'd actually challenge that. Ray Fatalia- Mariner or whatever his name is a far better backrower. Even with an injury interrupted season where he only played 2 or 3 games.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: October 11, 2021, 7:47 pm
-TW- wrote:

Pass

Yeah and I'd actually challenge that. Ray Fatalia- Mariner or whatever his name is a far better backrower. Even with an injury interrupted season where he only played 2 or 3 games.
Has a foot issue. Might be career ending that's not ideal.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Watched all bar one Bulldogs games this year and never saw him do anything.

Possibly I spend too long in front of tv league to be a decent judge anymore, but I can't really accept Damoni's idea that he could be a ball playing lock. I'd say he can't ball play all that much and he can't really be an effective third middle forward. And my own observation (fancy way of saying what I saw on telly) is that he isn't that laterally mobile either.

Plus he seems to be a complete wad. There's no way we're signing him.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Matt wrote:
-TW- wrote:

Pass

RFM? Really? That's pretty sucky for him as he was improving all the time and starting to play some great footy.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: October 11, 2021, 7:37 pm

Pass

:lol: I agree with you TW. But are you also suggesting the raiders recruitment strategy should only focus on signing handsome men? :shock: :roflmao
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Billy Walker wrote: October 11, 2021, 4:44 pm
papabear wrote: October 11, 2021, 11:02 am He is a big unit who doesnt know when to pass or play with his brain.

See I’d argue Croker doesn’t give much in attack, but is helpful in defence because at least you know where the opposition will target all their attacks.
2021 he didnt because he had a bungy knee.

If he can get back to his best, he is a better then average centre, he offers great footwork and an excellent passing game, also knows when to call for an early grubber or where to be for a kick.

Obviously if hes body is not in shape to play nrl football then he shouldnt be picked.... but if the surgery works magic and he rediscovers his quickness it bodes well for us.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

David Fusitua (Warriors) is on the market.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

the bone wrote: October 11, 2021, 8:49 am Adam Elliot? Ew.
I'll take one of these. There are clubs that can afford to carry people like Adam Elliott... and we're not one of them.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: October 11, 2021, 11:06 pm
Matt wrote:
-TW- wrote:

Pass

RFM? Really? That's pretty sucky for him as he was improving all the time and starting to play some great footy.
Thats why he missed most of this yr. Was a Lisfranc that didnt heal. So had a 2nd surgery I believe. Sad, coz they guy had ability. Came in about the same time as Shaun Lane. I liked both of them.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

sprintman wrote: October 12, 2021, 9:28 am David Fusitua (Warriors) is on the market.
Been in a steep decline regressing for 3 straight years now... not a good bet.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

sprintman wrote: October 12, 2021, 9:28 am David Fusitua (Warriors) is on the market.
I think retirement is one of the things he is considering. Hasnt coped well the past 2 yrs in the bubble apparently. Oh... had like 1 good yr too.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Matt wrote:
gergreg wrote: October 11, 2021, 11:06 pm
Matt wrote:
-TW- wrote:Being the best backrower at the Bulldogs is akin to being the best looking in the ugly contest.

Pass

Thats why he missed most of this yr. Was a Lisfranc that didnt heal. So had a 2nd surgery I believe. Sad, coz they guy had ability. Came in about the same time as Shaun Lane. I liked both of them.
That's the same as Tuiaki and that young Broncos winger from a few years back?