Moderator: GH Moderators

julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders favoured to sign Adam Elliott

Post by julian87 »

bonehead wrote: October 18, 2021, 10:00 am
julian87 wrote:The Dogs haven't been dreadful because of Adam Elliott haha
yes they have, think a little deeper.

They have had duds like Elliott and Jackson as their better players thus being dreadful.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Nope. Their pack hasn't really been a problem.

Their disgusting recruitment in the spine and outside backs has been the problem. Namely crippled by Kieran Foran and Will Hopoate. Allan, Hoppa, Flanagan, Meaney, DWZ and Cotric have all essentially been decent money failures in the positions they were intended to play.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Elliott is one of those players the commentators toss on about but I've never really seen it. I think he can be good for us....At the very worst this place does love a new scape goat.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I can understand being concerned about his off-field stuff but I find it bizarre that people think he's a dud. I don't rate him all that high... but the thing about Elliott is whether you rate him or not, he will easily make our 17. If we bought him today, he would become the best lock on our roster pending maybe complete unknown quantities like Mooney, and arguably our second best second rower after Harawira-Naera. He's easily better than Hudson Young and his output is better than what Whitehead gave us in 2021. You wouldn't find many people outside of Raiders fans arguing the other way. If you can get him in for $200k, you absolutely get it done imo.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Raiders_Pat wrote: October 19, 2021, 11:48 am I can understand being concerned about his off-field stuff but I find it bizarre that people think he's a dud. I don't rate him all that high... but the thing about Elliott is whether you rate him or not, he will easily make our 17. If we bought him today, he would become the best lock on our roster pending maybe complete unknown quantities like Mooney, and arguably our second best second rower after Harawira-Naera. He's easily better than Hudson Young and his output is better than what Whitehead gave us in 2021. You wouldn't find many people outside of Raiders fans arguing the other way. If you can get him in for $200k, you absolutely get it done imo.
You lost me at “easily better than Hudson Young”
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’d rate them about the same ‘at unwanted groping’
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

BJ wrote: October 19, 2021, 12:50 pm I’d rate them about the same ‘at unwanted groping’
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Finchy wrote: October 19, 2021, 12:35 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: October 19, 2021, 11:48 am I can understand being concerned about his off-field stuff but I find it bizarre that people think he's a dud. I don't rate him all that high... but the thing about Elliott is whether you rate him or not, he will easily make our 17. If we bought him today, he would become the best lock on our roster pending maybe complete unknown quantities like Mooney, and arguably our second best second rower after Harawira-Naera. He's easily better than Hudson Young and his output is better than what Whitehead gave us in 2021. You wouldn't find many people outside of Raiders fans arguing the other way. If you can get him in for $200k, you absolutely get it done imo.
He's better than Hudson Young. If you did a poll across league fans, Elliot would be the favoured player.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

Raiders_Pat wrote: October 19, 2021, 2:11 pm
He's better than Hudson Young. If you did a poll across league fans, Elliot would be the favoured player.
I would automatically do the opposite of what a poll of league fans says
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

RichmondRaider wrote: October 19, 2021, 2:44 pm
Ok. He's still better than Young and if we sign him I'd be willing to bet that he would overtake him in the pecking order.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I just found out that Elliott is 27 which does change my view on him a little bit. For some reason I thought he was 24/25 at best. Although at $200k, I still think it's a good move. He's good enough to play a role straight away and puts pressure on the other backrowers to lift.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Can anyone report of what the Canberra Times article says?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

FROG wrote:Can anyone report of what the Canberra Times article says?
Having a zoom meeting with him in the next couple of days unless they're able to sit down with him face to face.

A few clubs are interested

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' interest Zooms in on Adam Elliott

A Zoom meeting with the Canberra Raiders could decide Adam Elliott's future. The Raiders are interested in the former Canterbury Bulldogs forward and will meet with him via Zoom from Darwin in the next day or two.

"We're just exploring opportunities there," CEO Don Furner said."We'd want to meet him first, we'd have to do all that first, but there is some interest there, yes."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Raiders_Pat wrote:
Ok. He's still better than Young and if we sign him I'd be willing to bet that he would overtake him in the pecking order.
I think Young has greater potential. Elliott's best was 3 years ago and trending down ever since. Maybe a change would do him good, particularly as it seems like his last chance in the NRL. Wonder who the other clubs are, or whether that's just his agent spinning?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

gergreg wrote: October 19, 2021, 6:23 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote:

I think Young has greater potential. Elliott's best was 3 years ago and trending down ever since. Maybe a change would do him good, particularly as it seems like his last chance in the NRL. Wonder who the other clubs are, or whether that's just his agent spinning?
At 24, Young definitely has greater potential than Elliott. Elliott is the better player as it currently stands though. It's funny to me that others find that notion laughable. At $200k, it's a no brainer.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I like Hudson and was super excited about his 2020 form. But he didn’t really kick on in 2021 IMO. Very loose defensively.
I think the large bulk of his best games have been in the middle off the bench.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

What is it that you think Elliott does well as a player?
What is he potentially bringing to us in your eyes?

Im very curious about that because i havent seen it. I've watch a lot of footy and cant say i can think of anything he does particularly well.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raiders_Pat wrote:
Raiders_Pat wrote:
Raiders_Pat wrote: October 19, 2021, 2:11 pm He's better than Hudson Young. If you did a poll across league fans, Elliot would be the favoured player.
At 24, Young definitely has greater potential than Elliott. Elliott is the better player as it currently stands though. It's funny to me that others find that notion laughable. At $200k, it's a no brainer.
No he's not

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

11. Young
12. CHN
13. Whitehead

Depends who the next men up are if there is an injury as to if you sign someone like Elliot really...
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-TW- wrote:
Raiders_Pat wrote:
Raiders_Pat wrote:
RichmondRaider wrote: October 19, 2021, 2:44 pm I would automatically do the opposite of what a poll of league fans says
No he's not

Yeah I wouldn't say it's laughable but on current form I'd have Young ahead of Elliott. Young had some cracking games last season, up there with MOTM. Elliott hasn't been at that level for 3 years. But as always if the club signs him I'd support the player.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gergreg wrote:
-TW- wrote:
Raiders_Pat wrote:
Raiders_Pat wrote: Ok. He's still better than Young and if we sign him I'd be willing to bet that he would overtake him in the pecking order.
No he's not

Yeah I wouldn't say it's laughable but on current form I'd have Young ahead of Elliott. Young had some cracking games last season, up there with MOTM. Elliott hasn't been at that level for 3 years. But as always if the club signs him I'd support the player.
I think that's a fair summation.

At his best, Young has been a very high performing player, capable of making a genuine impact in a top 4 quality team.

I can't say I've seen anything of the sort from Elliott.

And as poorly as Young was in defence a few games this season, Adam Elliott is statistically one of the worst forwards in the NRL in defence.

I simply don't see how Elliott is better than Young.

Still, he's worth a gamble at $200k.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Adam Elliot also, statistically, offers nothing in attack. Far less than Whitehead did in his worst season and a lot less than Young has shown.

That's why he just screams plodder. If we are putting him on 150k and he knows he's starting in reggies and waiting for an opportunity- fine. But not for 200k where he's going to expect to be in the 17.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont think 200k means there is an expectation of being a FGer
The cap is 10m flat in 2022, and the minimum wage is 120k. The mean wage of 10m across 30 players is 333k
So at 200k, you're being paid substantially lower than that... 200k is exactly what you probably pay for a player you expect to be one of your better NSW Cup players and do a job for you when called on in FG

That all being said, i still wouldnt do it myself simply because i dont like the player and would rather not have him at all
But there is no reasonable expectations of a top 17 spot between 120k and 200k. That's what you pay for the back ups
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: October 20, 2021, 9:12 am I dont think 200k means there is an expectation of being a FGer
The cap is 10m flat in 2022, and the minimum wage is 120k. The mean wage of 10m across 30 players is 333k
So at 200k, you're being paid substantially lower than that... 200k is exactly what you probably pay for a player you expect to be one of your better NSW Cup players and do a job for you when called on in FG

That all being said, i still wouldnt do it myself simply because i dont like the player and would rather not have him at all
But there is no reasonable expectations of a top 17 spot between 120k and 200k. That's what you pay for the back ups
If you get past his off field antics, the question is, is be better or worse than Sia, Lui, James or Havili? Coz in theory he is replacing 1 of them on the roster, as a forward replacing a forward. A fringe 17 guy, but a good NSW Cup guy.
I'd put him in the Lui bracket, just because I think Rick and the Club will see him at top 17, and of the 4, Lui played the most FG. I think he is better. You'll get just as much effort, but he has better hands and a better motor than Lui. You might get more errors and/ or penalties. So, overall, Id say at worst its like for like, but Id guess that we save a little coin here.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matt wrote:
Botman wrote: October 20, 2021, 9:12 am I dont think 200k means there is an expectation of being a FGer

If you get past his off field antics, the question is, is be better or worse than Sia, Lui, James or Havili? Coz in theory he is replacing 1 of them on the roster, as a forward replacing a forward. A fringe 17 guy, but a good NSW Cup guy.
I'd put him in the Lui bracket, just because I think Rick and the Club will see him at top 17, and of the 4, Lui played the most FG. I think he is better. You'll get just as much effort, but he has better hands and a better motor than Lui. You might get more errors and/ or penalties. So, overall, Id say at worst its like for like, but Id guess that we save a little coin here.
He's not as good as pre 2021 Dunamis

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Probably on par with 2021 Sia

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: October 20, 2021, 9:48 am

Well you're getting a guy who is a bit younger and for likely less money than at least most of those guys. What you will get out of him in 2022 will be better than what most of those guys will be giving in 2022 unless he has a shocker.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Well he's better than all of those players as a backrower. The club had maybe 3 too many middle third plods in the 30 last year.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

AUDIO: Former Canterbury forward Adam Elliott is closing in on a new deal with the Canberra Raiders says David Riccio: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=918083
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I'm not so sure mate. Not denying your maths, just that if I'm his manager I'm saying my client is prepared to receive practically minimum wage
On the provision that he is signing as a first grade player. I'm not suggesting promises would have been made only that his salary is meaningless as to his standing come team selection day and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the 17 in March 22
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

FROG wrote: October 21, 2021, 4:48 am

I'm not so sure mate. Not denying your maths, just that if I'm his manager I'm saying my client is prepared to receive practically minimum wage
On the provision that he is signing as a first grade player. I'm not suggesting promises would have been made only that his salary is meaningless as to his standing come team selection day and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the 17 in March 22
And that would be good. If somebody commits to training hard and does the work to ensure that they get selected in the 17 in round 1 2022, good on them.
Akyle1994
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by Akyle1994 »

I think 200K is a gamble worth taking. Stuart can hopefully bring out the best in his form which will improve the form of those ahead of him for the starting spots.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

FROG wrote: October 21, 2021, 4:48 am

I think if he signs there is a better than even chance he's in the 17 come round 1, but that's going to be a product of our lack of genuine edge players to choose from, we basically have CHN, Whitehead and Young as options now and id argue strongly 2 of those 3 are better in the middle. **** some people might argue 3 of 3, i think those people are insane but the point is he's got every chance to come here and earn a place in the 17 if he's good enough

That's why he wants to come here, he and his agent know a near minimum wage deal is the best he can do money wise, Canberra represents the easiest path to FG to get his career back on track. But this is all a by product of our personnel, not any salary or demands he makes... frankly he and his team are not in a position leverage wise to ask for much other than a chance
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

i think he's got a bit more to him than what we've seen at the dogs, not arguing he hasn't been plodder like at times but i just wouldn't write him off being a decent nrl footballer in a better side. at 200k or thereabouts there is very little to lose (other than a few wives)