2021 in review - Josh Hodgson

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Now it is season over for the Canberra Raiders, we will be reviewing the year of all 31 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2021. So far, we have looked at the season of Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Xavier Savage, Caleb Aekins, Jordan Rapana, Bailey Simonsson, Semi Valemei, Harley Smith-Shields, Sebastian Kris, Jarrod Croker, Curtis Scott, Matt Timoko, Jack Wighton, Sam Williams, George Williams, Matt Frawley, Josh Papalii, Joseph Tapine, Emre Guler, Sia Soliola, Ryan James and Dunamis Lui.

In 2021, Josh Hodgson, 31, made his second comeback from a knee reconstruction. He spent half of the 2018 season on the sidelines, after suffering an ACL injury in the 2017 World Cup semi final between England and Tonga. He then missed half of the 2020 season due to an ACL injury suffered in the Round 9 loss to the Storm - this time, affecting his other knee.

He made 20 appearances this season, but his comeback was by no means a smooth ride. It was expected by many commentators that the rules of Vlandysball would suit Hodgson. It was thought the quicker rucks and pace of the game would open up the middle of the field for dummy halves. But after two serious knee injuries, it seemed the veteran hooker no longer had the pace for that. In addition, Hodgson is a dominant play maker - and sometimes, he overplays his hand. The spine had gelled well in the second half of 2020, with Siliva Havili and Tom Starling forming an effective hooking duo. Starling, in particular, gave quick service to the halves - and was very nippy around the rucks. With Hodgson's return at the start of this year, the play makers struggled for combinations.

In early May, news seeped out that Hodgson had stood down as co-captain of the club - two weeks earlier, following the back to back losses to the Panthers and Eels. There were also reports suggesting he might switch clubs - and was linked to the Broncos and Bulldogs.

What happened has not been fully explained. But it appears that coach Ricky Stuart had decided to bench Hodgson for the Round 7 clash with the Cowboys - and start the game with Tom Starling in the No. 9. And in those circumstances, Hodgson felt he could not hold the captaincy. Before the team could be announced, Hodgson suffered a calf injury at training. The club only confirmed he'd stood down as captain after the news sensationally broke in the media.

"I've made the decision to stand down as club captain and I informed the team of this a couple of weeks ago," Hodgson said in a club statement.

"I've been out injured for the past two games and I've been working hard on getting myself back on the training field. I can assure everyone that I remain fully committed to the club and I'm looking forward to getting myself back to 100 per cent fitness and helping the team get their season back on track."

When Hodgson faced the media in person, he denied that there was any rift with coach Ricky Stuart - while addressing his future with the club and the emergence of Starling.

"I'm not daft, I'm an old bloke, I've been around a while and I've still got four or five good years in me," Hodgson said.

"Tommy's been playing some good footy and if he's the next generation in terms of what they want to bring throughout the club, I'm fine with that. I love this club more than to let my own ego stand in the way. My first preference would be to spend those first four or five years in Canberra. You've got to do what's best by you, your family and your career."

Hodgson did not return to the side from injury until the Round 10 match against the Bulldogs - on the bench. He took back the No. 9 jersey in the Round 12 loss to the Roosters - and held onto to it through the second half of the season. As the controversy subsided, Hodgson started to forge a good partnership with Starling - with the up and comer being injected at around the 25 minute mark and Hodgson moving into the role of a ball playing back rower. That ended when Starling suffered a fractured jaw in the Round 22 loss to the Storm.

I rated Hodgson an average of 6/10 over his 20 appearances season, with his highest rating of "8" coming in the Round 14 win over the Broncos. In Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice Player of the Year voting, he picked up man of the match honours in the Round 10 win over the Bulldogs. With a total of 10 points, he finished equal fifth in the overall Fans' Choice count, alongside Corey Harawira-Naera - but he wasn't in the top five in the Meninga Medal voting. His top tackle count (55) came in the one point loss to the Sea Eagles in Round 23, while he produced his highest running metres gained (117) in Round 17 - also against Manly.

This year, Hodgson produced just one try, but delivered nine try assists and posted 14 total try involvements. That's behind the benchmark hookers, but it was not far off some of them. He ranked fourth among NRL regular hookers for try assists, behind Harry Grant (11), Reed Mahoney (11) and Damien Cook (10). He ranked fifth for try involvements, behind Brandon Smith (25), Grant (19), Cook (15) and Mahoney (15).

He ran less from dummy half in 2020 (just over one DHR per game, compared with two in 2019) and that continued in 2021 (1.24 per game). His average running metres per game increased (31 per game, compared with 13 metres in 2020 and around 25 metres in 2019), but he was well behind the benchmark hookers (close to 80 metres per game). He tended to kick less (under two per game, compared with three in 2020 and four in 2019) and produced fewer kick metres per match (54, compared with 89 in 2020 and 123 in 2019). That no doubt reflected a tactical shift to other players, including George Williams.

Hodgson again topped the average tackle count at the Raiders. Like many hookers, he's often targeted by opposition forwards and he does tend to produce a lot of missed or ineffective tackles. His tackle efficiency rate (88 per cent) was roughly the same as in 2020 - again, below the benchmark hookers (in the 90s). That translated into seven try causes this year (one, in half the games, last year).

Josh Hodgson's contract with the Raiders expires at the end of 202 and rumours linking him with other clubs have continued to pop up through the year.

At times this year, his public statements seemed to place him at odds with the club - for example, over the departure of George Williams and Curtis Scott. However, I don't think the Raiders' hierarchy was too concerned by that and they were reportedly impressed by how he put his nose to the grindstone after the captaincy controversy. Coach Ricky Stuart has been keen to downplay any suggestion that the Raiders don't want Hodgson to stay on at the club.

"He’s on contract to us," Stuart said after the win over the Broncos.

“He was brilliant tonight, he’s a big reason why we played so well, as all our other leaders were. I’m very happy to have Hodgo here so he’s on contract to us. I keep hearing it but I don’t take any action on it, I don’t even talk to Hodgo about it. He’s here and I’m the lucky one because he’s a brilliant player and he’s a big part of our football team."

Overall, Hodgson performed well this year - but he has been overtaken by hookers like Brandon Smith, Harry Grant and Api Koroisau. I'm not sure that the Raiders will be looking to extend Hodgon's deal beyond 2022, with Tom Starling showing a lot of promise - and in light of his $800,000 price tag.

Tom Starling is still not an 80 minute hooker and the diminutive player has tended to show his best form when playing off the bench. 2022 might be a transitional year - when we again see Hodgson at dummy half during the opening exchanges, and Starling taking over once the opposition forwards tire. That combination worked well in the second half of this year. Time will tell.

How did you rate Josh Hodgson's 2021? Tell us below.

Josh Hodgson's 2021: 6.5/10

2021 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 20
Average minutes: 75
Tries: 1
Try assists: 9
Try contributions: 4
Total try involvements: 14
Total kicks: 34
Kick metres: 1078
Average kicking metres per match: 54
40/20's: 0
Forced drop outs: 2
Kicks dead: 0
Kick errors: 4
Total runs: 71
Dummy half runs: 25
All run metres: 624
Average metres per carry: 8
Average metres per game: 31
Tackle breaks: 19
Offloads: 4
Line breaks: 3
Line break assists: 8
Tackles: 762
Average tackles per game: 38
1 on 1 tackles: 35
Missed tackles: 71
Average missed tackles per game: 3
Ineffective tackles: 24
Tackle efficiency: 88 per cent
Try causes: 7
Errors: 16
Penalties conceded: 15
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2021 in review - Josh Hodgson

Post by Billy Walker »

6.5 is probably right but based on other ratings he’s a 7
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

For a player of his skill, capability and smarts I was a little disappointed this year in his performance. Some may argue with the new rules and his injuries he's past it, I don't agree. I just don't think he was really with it this year for other reasons.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I'd go 6 TBH. Played better at 13 than 9 most of the yr. Never really took the Cam Smith throne when it was there for the taking.
I wanna see him on our roster til at least mid yr, but happy to let him walk after that. Coz we are 1 injury away from a rookie 9 in Trevilyan and/ Schnieder and then it's Frawlz at 9
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He’s not terrible is he ?

Still has all the skills.

I’m more concerned with where his head is at ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: October 11, 2021, 6:02 pm He’s not terrible is he ?

Still has all the skills.

I’m more concerned with where his head is at ?
Not terrible, no. Agree his head wasn't in it
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

4/10.

I was actually impressed by his lateral movement coming off another ACL. His kicking game has regressed massively the past few years.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I like Hodgo and hope he can have a solid off season. 6.5/10 is fair for 2021 imo. He has had some tough injuries to overcome and the Raiders coaching staff went for a crash ball attacking style in 2021. With Mick Crawley (lots of expectations on MC hammer) in the coaching ranks I think we will see more of the previous Holdgo style. He has never said he wants to be anywhere but at the Raiders. I hope to be watching him play well in green in 2022.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Selfish player with the ball. Lazy defender.

He’s actually always been these things, but his current level of ability doesn’t allow him to get away with it anymore, and it’s detrimental to the team’s overall performance.

3rd best hooker at the club in 2021, after Starling, and daylight.

Kicking license should be revoked permanently - it used to be 9 out of every 10 of his grubbers going straight into legs… these days it’s kicking out of dummy half on the 3rd or 4th. The madness must stop!!

Hodgo’s been a great servant of the club, a big driving force behind our good years in the previous decade. But he’s well past it. Regardless of sentiment, I believe it would be in the best interests of the club to move him on, rather than have him chew up Starlo’s valuable minutes at 9 or having him play out of position at 7 or 13.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Rickmando wrote: October 12, 2021, 10:52 am Selfish player with the ball. Lazy defender.

He’s actually always been these things, but his current level of ability doesn’t allow him to get away with it anymore, and it’s detrimental to the team’s overall performance.

3rd best hooker at the club in 2021, after Starling, and daylight.

Kicking license should be revoked permanently - it used to be 9 out of every 10 of his grubbers going straight into legs… these days it’s kicking out of dummy half on the 3rd or 4th. The madness must stop!!

Hodgo’s been a great servant of the club, a big driving force behind our good years in the previous decade. But he’s well past it. Regardless of sentiment, I believe it would be in the best interests of the club to move him on, rather than have him chew up Starlo’s valuable minutes at 9 or having him play out of position at 7 or 13.
Harsh assessment of Hodgson there but I can't really disagree tbh
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

His head didn't seem in it

Crash balls and early kicks don't make you a "game manager". Has lost his running game almost entirely, hopefully just related to injury recovery, but has made him a bit of a one-trick pony. He just doesn't have the wide array of tools in his arsenal to be the 9 that Cam Smith was, despite comparisons at the time

He could recover and be a good performing 9, but I wouldn't give him a premium contract, and with Starling kicking on he feels redundant. His point of difference to Starling is his branding as a game manager, but as above, that's a bit moot now. Very very surprised we got rid of Havili who complements Starling well

I love what he's done for the club but I'm not sure he has the 3-4 years left that he thinks he does. 2022 will be telling for him, whether it's at the Raiders or elsewhere

4/10
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Was more his defence that really concerned me. Some very bad attempts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Canberra Milk wrote: October 12, 2021, 12:25 pm His head didn't seem in it

Crash balls and early kicks don't make you a "game manager". Has lost his running game almost entirely, hopefully just related to injury recovery, but has made him a bit of a one-trick pony. He just doesn't have the wide array of tools in his arsenal to be the 9 that Cam Smith was, despite comparisons at the time

He could recover and be a good performing 9, but I wouldn't give him a premium contract, and with Starling kicking on he feels redundant. His point of difference to Starling is his branding as a game manager, but as above, that's a bit moot now. Very very surprised we got rid of Havili who complements Starling well

I love what he's done for the club but I'm not sure he has the 3-4 years left that he thinks he does. 2022 will be telling for him, whether it's at the Raiders or elsewhere

4/10
I assume we lost Havili as we likely have three of our top 30 spots reserved for hookers and Trevilyan will likely be moving into the top 30
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Tigers forum posters seem to think Hodgson is on his way there…
Last edited by sprintman on October 12, 2021, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

What people need to remember is, our team was setup to work off Hodgo in a pre-Vlandys ball setup, where he wins the ruck, then gets the ball wider when the opportunity comes; grind footy. Its taken us a couple of years now to move the roster around to play under the new rules. HOWEVER, this game is still played through the spine, and right now, its questionable if ours is setup to play that way. It also doesnt help when your 7 walks out/ let go 18 months early. At least we have a good result there now.

For those saying punt Hodgo and play Starling, you cant have a running 9 (Starlo), a running 6 (Jack) and a running 1 (CNK and Savage) and expect to be successful without some serious talent around them. This setup is relying on Tapine, Papa and CHN (assuming you start him) to give us 2nd phase, and then relying on individual talent.

Moving Jack to an edge or 13 could help, but then we would need to find another half, AND, it requires both Ricky and Jack to be open to the idea.

Moving Whitehead to 13, and play Huddo and CHN on the edges, helps a little. I think Whitehead could play the Yeo role. But the spine is still pretty 1 dimensional.

With all those running players we still need ball players and creative players. We still need Hodgo to provide that until we can find an able replacement. Next yr the hooker options are a little better. There are also a few more half and 5/8 options, but they aren't as enticing.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

I’ll argue Hodgson barely showed any creativity this year, he posed minimal questions to defences. His play has become slow and predictable - this may be a result of the slow and predictable game plan Rick insists on continuing to run out or it may be due to physical decline. Chances are it’s a combination of both.

He’s an absolute liability in defence these days too - he creates a LOT of extra mop up work for already gassed middle forwards.

So what to do? He shouldn’t be taking major minutes off Starling who is far superior to him on both sides of the ball. This club needs to start looking forwards instead of backwards - we are miles off the pace and we’re kidding ourselves if we think we are ready to be a competitive force in 2022.

People are hailing the return of Crawley as being our saviour… how about we get our best players on the park, instead of being stuck behind Rick’s loyal crumbling veterans, and then let Crawley figure out how best to optimise them. Surely that gives us the best chance of success?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Not sure Hodgo would classify himself as one of Ricky’s loyal veterans from what we saw this year…
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

sprintman wrote: October 12, 2021, 2:55 pm Tigers forum posters seem to think Hodgson is on his way there…
What sources are they getting it from, out of curiosity?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote: October 12, 2021, 2:55 pm Tigers forum posters seem to think Hodgson is on his way there…
Seems to be based on nothing much: https://weststigersforum.com/topic/2589 ... 4070687101
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

greeneyed wrote: October 13, 2021, 6:30 am
Seems to be based on nothing much: https://weststigersforum.com/topic/2589 ... 4070687101
Apparently offering a two year deal from end ‘22.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote: October 13, 2021, 8:41 am
But no actual source provided.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

greeneyed wrote: October 13, 2021, 10:08 am
Correct. But it wouldn’t surprise me as they desperately need leadership
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

greeneyed wrote: October 13, 2021, 10:08 am
Correct. But it wouldn’t surprise me as they desperately need leadership