Josh Hodgson signs with Eels for 2023

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Re: Free to leave: Wests Tigers to offer Raiders star Josh Hodgson two-year deal

Post by Lui_Bon »

Billy Walker wrote: October 16, 2021, 10:23 pm
GreenGirl wrote: October 16, 2021, 9:03 pm
Billy Walker wrote: October 16, 2021, 8:55 pm
GreenGirl wrote: October 16, 2021, 8:45 pm
Billy Walker wrote: October 16, 2021, 9:34 am

I think it’s wishful thinking. No doubt he is a good footballer, but I think we are better off without him. Starling will continue to develop and after last season we need to get the culture piece right. When I bloke refers to himself as the hectic cheese it’s an early indicator he has an ego that might lead him to believe he is a bigger deal than the club he plays for. When you hear him talk it’s very clear it’s B Smith first and team second.
He doesn't play like that on the field and I generally don't think for the vast majority of it he is like it off it either - otherwise Belamy and the Storm culture would off cut his **** years ago.

If there was a possibility to get B Smith you sign him and then make it work. Starling can sulk all he wants - its the nature of professional football. Remember when Roosters signed Cronk over Pearce ?
Hey GG - he is a great player, but I’ve got my doubts about him. I think for the $$ he’d be asking there are better options.
Don't disagree with that at all. I was just getting the **** with people suggesting you can't sign him because you would upset Starling with his minutes.

btw - number 2 on the way mid next season so we in for a good one (not that I am confident)
Big congrats GG! Hope it’s all going well for you.
yeah remiss of me not to have said the same thing! All new members are welcome!
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Re: Free to leave: Wests Tigers to offer Raiders star Josh Hodgson two-year deal

Post by GreenGirl »

Lui_Bon wrote: October 16, 2021, 10:14 pm
Billy Walker wrote: October 16, 2021, 9:34 am

I think it’s wishful thinking. No doubt he is a good footballer, but I think we are better off without him. Starling will continue to develop and after last season we need to get the culture piece right. When I bloke refers to himself as the hectic cheese it’s an early indicator he has an ego that might lead him to believe he is a bigger deal than the club he plays for. When you hear him talk it’s very clear it’s B Smith first and team second.
He doesn't play like that on the field and I generally don't think for the vast majority of it he is like it off it either - otherwise Belamy and the Storm culture would off cut his **** years ago.

If there was a possibility to get B Smith you sign him and then make it work. Starling can sulk all he wants - its the nature of professional football. Remember when Roosters signed Cronk over Pearce ?
Hey GG - he is a great player, but I’ve got my doubts about him. I think for the $$ he’d be asking there are better options.
Don't disagree with that at all. I was just getting the **** with people suggesting you can't sign him because you would upset Starling with his minutes.

btw - number 2 on the way mid next season so we in for a good one (not that I am confident)
Way back when (yesterday) I said that I didn't think Smith was worth it because he would pretty much be a straight swap for Hodgson - if that wasn't clear in my post, and it probably wasn't, it is what I meant - and I still think that's true. It's not about protecting Starling's feelings, it's about basic roster management. We had a one-two punch at dummy half and clearly it wasn't go to continue to be viable. The same applies if we buy Smith or Korisau. It's just a waste of cap space. Given that Starling appears to be better than serviceable, why would we waste a chunk of cap to bring in someone that not only gave him the ***** but also basically duplicated what he can do, or will be able to do in a year or two's time? What we need is someone who can provide ten or fifteen minutes of backup dummy half service while being valuable and/or useful somewhere else on the field.

Instead of wasting more cap money.
Don't disagree with that line of thinking at all.

Personally though I think Smith is in the argument of best in the business (backing up this year next year will be when we get a true reflection of where he stands). So in saying that I would prefer we brought him in, pushed Starling out the door and then found that 10-15 minute man.

That's just me though and I honestly believe that the club wouldn't do that
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

GreenGirl wrote: October 17, 2021, 6:23 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: October 16, 2021, 10:14 pm

Way back when (yesterday) I said that I didn't think Smith was worth it because he would pretty much be a straight swap for Hodgson - if that wasn't clear in my post, and it probably wasn't, it is what I meant - and I still think that's true. It's not about protecting Starling's feelings, it's about basic roster management. We had a one-two punch at dummy half and clearly it wasn't go to continue to be viable. The same applies if we buy Smith or Korisau. It's just a waste of cap space. Given that Starling appears to be better than serviceable, why would we waste a chunk of cap to bring in someone that not only gave him the ***** but also basically duplicated what he can do, or will be able to do in a year or two's time? What we need is someone who can provide ten or fifteen minutes of backup dummy half service while being valuable and/or useful somewhere else on the field.

Instead of wasting more cap money.
Don't disagree with that line of thinking at all.

Personally though I think Smith is in the argument of best in the business (backing up this year next year will be when we get a true reflection of where he stands). So in saying that I would prefer we brought him in, pushed Starling out the door and then found that 10-15 minute man.

That's just me though and I honestly believe that the club wouldn't do that
Fair enough - if it was my fantasy team I'd probably prefer less moving parts, since there's no guarantees of signing that extra bloke. Undoubtedly Smith is better than Starling but is it worth the machinations, including the salary for Starling to then sit on the bench? That's, again, just my view.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

If you can get top quality, you bring it in.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m less concerned machinations than the risk of us not creating moving parts Lui. I don’t agree with GG that Smith is the right fit for us, but I do think we need to shuffle the cards. We didn’t just miss in 2021, we were well off the pace. We can’t explain all that away with Williams and Scott. The players on our roster aren’t matching it with the top 4 teams so we need to be open to a list renewal.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I totally understand the point about managing the cap and the issue of having two first grade quality hookers on the books vying for 80 minutes, but at the end of the day I'm sure Tom Starlings contract would be at the extreme low end of starting hookers in the NRL.

If you get a chance to sign a top 5 dummy half you jump at it, no question.

Moot point as I don't expect the Raiders to aggressively target Smith, but with Hodgo gone we should absolutely have a cheeky chat with Smith's manager.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Has this thread become an extension of the Signing Speculation thread?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Last I heard we were signing Api K, someone had a baby, someone else shot a duck and a cat got sick.

Don't ever change GH.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Reading that the Tigers are trying to move on Jacob Liddle to make room for eithe Korisau or Hodgson.

I wouldn’t mind Liddle as backup at the right price.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Timbo wrote: October 18, 2021, 5:50 pm Reading that the Tigers are trying to move on Jacob Liddle to make room for eithe Korisau or Hodgson.

More than adequate back up. IMO he's in the Mitch Rein, Reece Robson category in that regard. If he's your starter you would be constantly on the look out for an upgrade.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Timbo wrote: October 18, 2021, 5:50 pm Reading that the Tigers are trying to move on Jacob Liddle to make room for eithe Korisau or Hodgson.

Liddle would be fine as a back up. He would be replacing Havili effectively and he's probably a better hooker, only loss is the ability to play lock and that's no biggie.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Take Liddle, pay 150 freight on hodgo and grab cotric.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

No thanks on Cotric unless he came at a bargain price. Knew his move to the bulldogs would be a disaster.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Cotric won't be coming back
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Momoroviski is looking for a new club. That’s who I’d be going for ahead of Cotric.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Club is happy to hang onto him for 22, won't extend him past that.

If he can find a longer deal they'll let him go immediately

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Starling isn’t an 80 minute player. He has no game sense, no kicking game, no creativity, no ball playing. What he is good for is a quick 10 minute sugar hit either side of each half. The modern game seems to demand more than just a guy who passes and runs from dummy half, they have to possess at the very least a tactical kicking game and a ability to lay on tries for their fowards close to the line. Based on the evidence I’ve seen Starling doesn’t do any of this. We are far more balanced with Hodgson in the side, providing the tactical nous from hooker, freeing up Fogarty to organise the troops and focus on his kicking game, freeing up Wighton to focus on his running game. If you add Starling to this equation then It means Fog has to do more creating and Wighton more ball playing and just throws everything out of alignment.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: October 19, 2021, 3:47 pm No thanks on Cotric unless he came at a bargain price. Knew his move to the bulldogs would be a disaster.
He's a very good tackle buster. Not seen much else to his game that's above average. You don't pay big $$ for a guy with those kind of limits.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

rayden83 wrote: October 19, 2021, 6:39 pm Starling isn’t an 80 minute player. He has no game sense, no kicking game, no creativity, no ball playing. What he is good for is a quick 10 minute sugar hit either side of each half. The modern game seems to demand more than just a guy who passes and runs from dummy half, they have to possess at the very least a tactical kicking game and a ability to lay on tries for their fowards close to the line. Based on the evidence I’ve seen Starling doesn’t do any of this. We are far more balanced with Hodgson in the side, providing the tactical nous from hooker, freeing up Fogarty to organise the troops and focus on his kicking game, freeing up Wighton to focus on his running game. If you add Starling to this equation then It means Fog has to do more creating and Wighton more ball playing and just throws everything out of alignment.
Can this myth please end? Hodgson has no tactical nous

Also out of the top 4 teams, Korisau, Brandon Smith and even Damien Cook aren't really ball-players
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: October 20, 2021, 7:59 am
Azza wrote: October 19, 2021, 3:47 pm No thanks on Cotric unless he came at a bargain price. Knew his move to the bulldogs would be a disaster.
He's a very good tackle buster. Not seen much else to his game that's above average. You don't pay big $$ for a guy with those kind of limits.
I agree - I wouldn’t have him near the top tier of wingers in the game and I wouldn’t be seeking to bring him back. I think his career has peaked at a young age.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Canberra Milk wrote: October 20, 2021, 8:32 am
rayden83 wrote: October 19, 2021, 6:39 pm Starling isn’t an 80 minute player. He has no game sense, no kicking game, no creativity, no ball playing. What he is good for is a quick 10 minute sugar hit either side of each half. The modern game seems to demand more than just a guy who passes and runs from dummy half, they have to possess at the very least a tactical kicking game and a ability to lay on tries for their fowards close to the line. Based on the evidence I’ve seen Starling doesn’t do any of this. We are far more balanced with Hodgson in the side, providing the tactical nous from hooker, freeing up Fogarty to organise the troops and focus on his kicking game, freeing up Wighton to focus on his running game. If you add Starling to this equation then It means Fog has to do more creating and Wighton more ball playing and just throws everything out of alignment.

Also out of the top 4 teams, Korisau, Brandon Smith and even Damien Cook aren't really ball-players
Hodgson has no tactical nous? Lol you are having a laugh
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Early kicks and crash balls does not equal tactical nous. It's been years we've been operating with running halves, on the assumption that Hodgson would be able to provide the playmaking. It just hasn't worked out that way, at all

I'd give him about a 2/10 for his "game management" in 2021
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: October 19, 2021, 7:53 am

More than adequate back up. IMO he's in the Mitch Rein, Reece Robson category in that regard. If he's your starter you would be constantly on the look out for an upgrade.
Harsh on Robbo. He makes his tackles, occasionally comes up with a hit, and is a dangerous ball runner who can sniff out a try.

The other 2 are backups.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

This is my thinking, and we appear to be in the minority.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Harsh on Koro, coz he didnt need to do it at Panthers, but did at Manly, but Cleary and Luai are.
Munster, Hughes and Harry are.
ARey (big loss for Bunnies), Walker and Trell are.
Where are our creative players? Its Fog all by himself, as our other 3 spine players are ball runners.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: October 20, 2021, 9:13 am
Northern Raider wrote: October 20, 2021, 7:59 am
I agree - I wouldn’t have him near the top tier of wingers in the game and I wouldn’t be seeking to bring him back. I think his career has peaked at a young age.
More plateau than peak. Think he reached his level almost immediately and stayed there since. Albeit his 2020 season was horrid. That's mostly down to injury and being in a garbage team.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

What has Starling done??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Something at the same place as last time

Pretty vague though https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... fb8c0e7534

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Matt wrote: October 20, 2021, 9:55 am

Harsh on Koro, coz he didnt need to do it at Panthers, but did at Manly, but Cleary and Luai are.
Where are our creative players? Its Fog all by himself, as our other 3 spine players are ball runners.
Agree I'm just in defence of Starling somewhat. If you don't have a playmaker at all, the solution is not to shoehorn one at 9. Use Starling for what he's good at and look for playmaking in the genuine playmaking positions. The order of importance for playmaking is probably this now for me:
Halfback
Fullback
Five-eighth
Hooker
Lock

Hence the first thing we should do is blacklist CNK from fullback, blacklist Sutton from 13, and get a playmaking lock. I'm not too worried about Starling at the moment, and pretending Hodgson can fill that playmaking gap is just a pipe dream
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Canberra Milk wrote: October 20, 2021, 1:09 pm
Matt wrote: October 20, 2021, 9:55 am

Agree I'm just in defence of Starling somewhat. If you don't have a playmaker at all, the solution is not to shoehorn one at 9. Use Starling for what he's good at and look for playmaking in the genuine playmaking positions. The order of importance for playmaking is probably this now for me:
Halfback
Fullback
Five-eighth
Hooker
Lock

Hence the first thing we should do is blacklist CNK from fullback, blacklist Sutton from 13, and get a playmaking lock. I'm not too worried about Starling at the moment, and pretending Hodgson can fill that playmaking gap is just a pipe dream
I agree with the bolded.

Not sure I agree with the position order, however ATM that seems to be more common play making positions in the league. I think its more simple than that, you need at least 2 creative players in the spine, it doesn't matter which 2, if you have more, great.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I think we have all speculated that things haven’t been all sweet and rosy between Hodgo and the club (or Ricky). The fact we were happy to let him walk a year early adds starch to the theory. If the Starling situation is being played up to squeeze a few extra $$ out of the tigpies then good stuff, but if talk of not releasing Hodgo is real then I think we have a problem Houston. How do you mend that already frayed relationship where you are happy to let him stroll only to pull it at a stage that will cost him longer term because the bloke we chose over him screwed up. It’s a big ugly.

Don’t get me wrong I’m a Hodgo fan and think he has another good year in him but they are big bridges to mend and I suspect some may be in flames.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Billy Walker wrote: October 20, 2021, 10:22 pm I think we have all speculated that things haven’t been all sweet and rosy between Hodgo and the club (or Ricky). The fact we were happy to let him walk a year early adds starch to the theory. If the Starling situation is being played up to squeeze a few extra $$ out of the tigpies then good stuff, but if talk of not releasing Hodgo is real then I think we have a problem Houston. How do you mend that already frayed relationship where you are happy to let him stroll only to pull it at a stage that will cost him longer term because the bloke we chose over him screwed up. It’s a big ugly.

Don’t get me wrong I’m a Hodgo fan and think he has another good year in him but they are big bridges to mend and I suspect some may be in flames.
Good point Bill. Can’t imagine Rick being much more nuanced than scorched earth once you’re in his bad books
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Billy Walker wrote: October 20, 2021, 10:22 pm I think we have all speculated that things haven’t been all sweet and rosy between Hodgo and the club (or Ricky). The fact we were happy to let him walk a year early adds starch to the theory. If the Starling situation is being played up to squeeze a few extra $$ out of the tigpies then good stuff, but if talk of not releasing Hodgo is real then I think we have a problem Houston. How do you mend that already frayed relationship where you are happy to let him stroll only to pull it at a stage that will cost him longer term because the bloke we chose over him screwed up. It’s a big ugly.

From what I had heard earlier in the year, I was certain that Hodgson wouldn't be with us next year... but as the year went on and things went quiet on this issue, I thought maybe the information I had was exaggerated and started to doubt things. Then when the news dropped that he's in talks with the Tigers, I became quite certain again. I think this will go ahead still.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Raiders_Pat wrote: October 21, 2021, 12:51 pm

From what I had heard earlier in the year, I was certain that Hodgson wouldn't be with us next year... but as the year went on and things went quiet on this issue, I thought maybe the information I had was exaggerated and started to doubt things. Then when the news dropped that he's in talks with the Tigers, I became quite certain again. I think this will go ahead still.
Not sure there is any sustainable option not to let him go to be honest
Choc Magic
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Choc Magic »

If Hodgo was to stick around he'd have no option but to rip and tear for us in 22 being a contract year for him.
I'd keep him, unless we could lure Smith with Hodgo and Starling coin and use Trevilian as understudy/backup