Josh Hodgson signs with Eels for 2023

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Free to leave: Wests Tigers to offer Raiders star Josh Hodgson two-year deal

Post by greeneyed »

Hodgson could be a Tiger by next week

The Wests Tigers could add Test hooker Josh Hodgson by next week. Tim Sheens has been working the phones in recent days with the Tigers hierarchy — making it clear that Hodgson should be a priority pick-up. The Tigers are prepared to offer Hodgson a two-year deal. His contract expires with Canberra at the end of next season.

The major obstacle will be exactly how much Wests Tigers want Canberra to tip in for the deal to eventuate. Canberra fears the amount might be too high.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... cf3116e802
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Free to leave: Wests Tigers to offer Raiders star Josh Hodgson two-year deal

Post by dubby »

I think Tim Sheens is a massive has been.

Hasn't done anything since 2005, and that's 11 years after his last premiership.

He empowered the players arrogant attitude that seen that club disabled (especially Farah). He did Jack all in England. He failed in NQ.

If the tigers think he's the answer, more fool them.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The audacity to want the player, and want most of the salary paid for too..

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

SeeBee101 wrote: October 15, 2021, 11:17 am Sad day to lose Hodgo. He took us from bottom 4 to our GF appearance in 4 years. Anyone who thinks he didn't play the BIGGEST part in that deserves an uppercut. Yes - he struggled with form post 2019, but I will put him down as being a Raiders Great (along with Papa, Croker and Rapa).

Moving forward - if we seriously don't make a play for a top tier signing in the next year i would be flabbergasted. We must easily over 1 mill to spend on a marque signing. Kikau or the Cheese would be a massive signing!
I’m here if they need me, I wouldn’t say I’d be a massive signing though.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Azza wrote: October 15, 2021, 5:01 pm
Billy Walker wrote: October 15, 2021, 3:52 pm
Botman wrote: October 15, 2021, 3:44 pm If the raiders start knocking back players because they’ve dabbled in coke, we might have to reinvent ourselves as a junior footy team and play in the u12’s to field a team
Not just the coke for me - he’s massively immature.
Fair. But by the same token, it's Rugbah League. Maturity of the players is not a strong point :lol:
Yeah - probably asking a bit much I guess but just a few things I’ve observed that I think are red flags around his personality. Good footballer and tough little bugger but I think he will go best in a strong structure.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

If we signed B Smith that would be fantastic.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Wiki Special wrote:The only part I don't understand is why the club wouldn't want him for 2022?
Even knowing nothing more than what we see on the television and read in the paper it’s obvious there was a huge falling out between Hodgson and management. You can’t have that level of tension in your leadership, someone has to go.

To the second part of your post. You missed the option where Hodgson gets 1.5M by taking the 2 yr 1.2M from the tiggers and keeping his 900k rolling this year. Which is clearly the best option and he’s always going to get it because the tiggers are willing to pay their bit, and the Raiders are contracted to pay theirs.

The Raiders can force him to stay of you want and he can just phone it in and destabilise the team. It’s just not a rational option.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Exactly, Gangers
I suspect, all things being equal and no falling out between the two, the club would thrilled to have him on the books next year and just finish it out... but given the circumstances, it's just not a viable option. It's not going to be a health situation for club or player. So you move on.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

gangrenous wrote: October 15, 2021, 7:48 pm
Wiki Special wrote:The only part I don't understand is why the club wouldn't want him for 2022?
Even knowing nothing more than what we see on the television and read in the paper it’s obvious there was a huge falling out between Hodgson and management. You can’t have that level of tension in your leadership, someone has to go.

To the second part of your post. You missed the option where Hodgson gets 1.5M by taking the 2 yr 1.2M from the tiggers and keeping his 900k rolling this year. Which is clearly the best option and he’s always going to get it because the tiggers are willing to pay their bit, and the Raiders are contracted to pay theirs.

The Raiders can force him to stay of you want and he can just phone it in and destabilise the team. It’s just not a rational option.
I appreciate your point of view and can see how you would disagree with me. I just think we are better standing firm on holding him at $900K or granting him an immediate release if he wants to take up a longer deal elsewhere - without us chipping in. Him being a malcontent next year hurts his brand more than the Clubs. And it will hurt his back pocket for 2023 onwards. He has more to gain by staying professional.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It really doesn’t. He can kick stones this year and collect 900K and he’ll still find a club willing to pay him 300K+ next year. So no way he walks away at 1.2M. The only way is up and he holds all the leverage because the club can’t force him to play with energy.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

It will take the pressure off brooks.
3 crash balls up the guts and kick early on the 4th.. or the old 2 crash balls and one out, I'm looking forward to a faster team next season. And hodgo wasn't part of it.
Thanks for the good times hodgo. Good luck wherever you go
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: October 15, 2021, 8:32 pm It really doesn’t. He can kick stones this year and collect 900K and he’ll still find a club willing to pay him 300K+ next year. So no way he walks away at 1.2M. The only way is up and he holds all the leverage because the club can’t force him to play with energy.
a succinct breakdown of what "player empowerment" really is
the players have realised that in 2021 and beyond they hold the leverage, as they are the talent, the content doesnt exist without them... clubs will come and go, the entire NRL can collapse on itself over night and a new RL competition will spring up, they are the only irreplaceable component of the process...
They can get their money by simply showing up, putting in not contractually obligated.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The clubs don’t come and go. The players do. They last 10-15 years at the most. If they don’t want to play with a club, eventually the club says fine. We will find someone else. At the end of the day, the clubs are the ones who are there, and some players end up being respected for their long term contributions to their clubs and the game. Others don’t.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

gangrenous wrote: October 15, 2021, 8:32 pm It really doesn’t. He can kick stones this year and collect 900K and he’ll still find a club willing to pay him 300K+ next year. So no way he walks away at 1.2M. The only way is up and he holds all the leverage because the club can’t force him to play with energy.
I agree that he is likely to find a taker on a 1 year deal in 2023. It will be for more money if he invests in playing as well as possible next year. If he kicks stones and has a poor attitude and performance he may get no bites.

Or he may be happy to take the extra guaranteed money offered by the Tigers in case he does a knee again next year.

He may have some leverage but he doesn't have all the leverage.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Wiki Special wrote:
I agree that he is likely to find a taker on a 1 year deal in 2023. It will be for more money if he invests in playing as well as possible next year. If he kicks stones and has a poor attitude and performance he may get no bites.

Or he may be happy to take the extra guaranteed money offered by the Tigers in case he does a knee again next year.

He may have some leverage but he doesn't have all the leverage.
If he plays well it might be 2 with a 3rd option

But he's going on 32 with 2 busted knees, no club with competent management is throwing a 3/4 year deal at him. Another knee and there's a Campo situation

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

luffraider
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Fensom

Post by luffraider »

At the end of the day, he’s the last player we have who is managed by Isaac Moses.

I believe this is the main reason raiders are happy to part ways with him.

I’m also suspicious that Moses spread a lot of the rumours about raiders a during the year to the press, Hooper specifically (as he also broke everything about the Bateman saga).

I love hodgo, but he’s obviously sees Moses as a good friend, whereas the club see him as a destabiliser.

Roosters are the only other club that have no Moses players on their books. Tedesco got rid of him last year I think?

Look how the warriors and broncos have gone with too many players and coaches with moses as the agent
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

It'd almost be worth it to get free of Moses.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I used to love Josh Hodgson as a player.

I don't quite as much any more, but I respect him as a bloke. I really couldn't see him phoning it in next year if the Raiders decides to stand firm and keep him - but I also can't see the Raiders wanting to go through that. It'd be stupid for all concerned. I can even see why the Tigers want him, so i reckon it's a decent bit of business for all 3 parties.

On the other hand, I think talk of the Raiders chasing Brandon Smith is also stupid. We divest ourselves of one extraneous hooker in order to buy another one... I don't think so. Someone (wiser than I) said previously that the days of the dummy half interchange are over, and I agree. We will have Tom Starling for as many minutes as he can manage. Putting Smith in the mix just guarantees that Starling gets the irrits too. So, the important thing is, do we have anyone who can step into the dummy half role for 15 or 20 minutes a game, while Starling gets a rest if necessary?

I don't think so now, and Peachey, who we don't have, might have been good in that role. Havili is gone. Is there anyone around who can do that?

I saw Jayden Berell for Wynnum and he looked likely but he's also 26 apparently and why would he come down here to play NSW Cup when he can stay at home and play Qld Cup? Who else is around? More to the point, who else is around who is a backrower with dummy half skills...
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Moses is not registered with the NRL anymore is he?

Anyway, like many others I am grateful for the positive impact JH had on our club during his tenure. He is the best hooker we've had since Walters

However his reaction to GW left him on bad terms with the club.

He had been offered to Brisbane and Titans but it never worked out.

If he stays fit at the Tigers it will help them. With Peachey and Hastings coming they have some talent to add to Dewey, Laurie and Brooks
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Morning dub, what’s on today ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Moses is deregistered but his company was not. He just has to employ a registered agent and it’s almost business as usual.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Morning GE, what’s on today ?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’ll do some writing about the Raiders I expect. You?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: October 16, 2021, 6:33 am I’ll do some writing about the Raiders I expect. You?
Can you give us something promising ?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: October 16, 2021, 6:40 am
greeneyed wrote: October 16, 2021, 6:33 am I’ll do some writing about the Raiders I expect. You?
I can. Today I’ll write about Ryan Sutton.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: October 16, 2021, 6:45 am
-PJ- wrote: October 16, 2021, 6:40 am
I can. Today I’ll write about Ryan Sutton.
Looking forward to that.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

Billy Walker wrote:
Botman wrote: October 15, 2021, 3:44 pm If the raiders start knocking back players because they’ve dabbled in coke, we might have to reinvent ourselves as a junior footy team and play in the u12’s to field a team
Not just the coke for me - he’s massively immature.
Hard agree. I wouldn't take him. He will want a month too and has not proven himself outside Melbourne.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I thought Liddell showed a bit of promise in the 9 jumper for the Tigers last year. I guess it is the tigers and around a pile of garbage you might just be noticing the blow flies.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:I thought Liddell showed a bit of promise in the 9 jumper for the Tigers last year. I guess it is the tigers and around a pile of garbage you might just be noticing the blow flies.
Agreed. He has had no luck with injuries. As in not having a long and consistent run of games without injury. Last season he looked to be developing into his potential.

Where are these B Smith comments coming from? Are you guys trying to start a rumour?

And agree with Lui (I think it was). Where does it leave Starling if Smith was to come? You would think that him coming here would only be to play hooker full time, not to just continue the (hooker/utility) role he has in Melbourne?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: October 16, 2021, 9:22 am
Billy Walker wrote:I thought Liddell showed a bit of promise in the 9 jumper for the Tigers last year. I guess it is the tigers and around a pile of garbage you might just be noticing the blow flies.
Agreed. He has had no luck with injuries. As in not having a long and consistent run of games without injury. Last season he looked to be developing into his potential.

Where are these B Smith comments coming from? Are you guys trying to start a rumour?

And agree with Lui (I think it was). Where does it leave Starling if Smith was to come? You would think that him coming here would only be to play hooker full time, not to just continue the (hooker/utility) role he has in Melbourne?
I think it’s wishful thinking. No doubt he is a good footballer, but I think we are better off without him. Starling will continue to develop and after last season we need to get the culture piece right. When I bloke refers to himself as the hectic cheese it’s an early indicator he has an ego that might lead him to believe he is a bigger deal than the club he plays for. When you hear him talk it’s very clear it’s B Smith first and team second.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:

I think it’s wishful thinking. No doubt he is a good footballer, but I think we are better off without him. Starling will continue to develop and after last season we need to get the culture piece right. When I bloke refers to himself as the hectic cheese it’s an early indicator he has an ego that might lead him to believe he is a bigger deal than the club he plays for. When you hear him talk it’s very clear it’s B Smith first and team second.
I agree with the wishful thinking comment, but disagree with everything else. We would be a better side with B Smith in it. I think you're pretty much out on your own with that comment and that would apply to just about every side (or supporter base) in the comp. He's a bloody good player and there is nothing wrong with having 'characters' in the team. If you like to follow sports with clean cut athletes that don't break any rules... well err... maybe you need to start following women's sport exclusively?
I'd say a bloke who is willing to slot into a 'battering ram' role to accommodate another player 'is' putting the team first.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: October 16, 2021, 9:45 am
Billy Walker wrote:

I agree with the wishful thinking comment, but disagree with everything else. We would be a better side with B Smith in it. I think you're pretty much out on your own with that comment and that would apply to just about every side (or supporter base) in the comp. He's a bloody good player and there is nothing wrong with having 'characters' in the team. If you like to follow sports with clean cut athletes that don't break any rules... well err... maybe you need to start following women's sport exclusively?
I'd say a bloke who is willing to slot into a 'battering ram' role to accommodate another player 'is' putting the team first.
You actually don’t have to scroll far in this very thread to see I’m not alone in this view. But hey don’t feel silly, I know you just like to make big statements at times to sound relevant. :thumbsup
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

My biggest concern is that they use funds freed up by letting him go to sign Adam Elliot... If they sign a genuine marquee player, which they should be able to given the significant $ hodgo was on, or a couple of genuine attacking first graders (including a good back up 9) then I'm all for it
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

FROG wrote: October 16, 2021, 9:52 am My biggest concern is that they use funds freed up by letting him go to sign Adam Elliot... If they sign a genuine marquee player, which they should be able to given the significant $ hodgo was on, or a couple of genuine attacking first graders (including a good back up 9) then I'm all for it
Given our recent plays I don't think we'll pay overs for Elliot- if they are even looking. Which after the Scott debacle I doubt.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Imagine saying no to Smith :roflmao :lol: :lol: :lol: This place is a laugh a minute