Josh Hodgson signs with Eels for 2023

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Free to leave: Wests Tigers to offer Raiders star Josh Hodgson two-year deal

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:
gergreg wrote: October 16, 2021, 9:45 am
Billy Walker wrote:
gergreg wrote: October 16, 2021, 9:22 am
Billy Walker wrote:I thought Liddell showed a bit of promise in the 9 jumper for the Tigers last year. I guess it is the tigers and around a pile of garbage you might just be noticing the blow flies.
Agreed. He has had no luck with injuries. As in not having a long and consistent run of games without injury. Last season he looked to be developing into his potential.

Where are these B Smith comments coming from? Are you guys trying to start a rumour?

And agree with Lui (I think it was). Where does it leave Starling if Smith was to come? You would think that him coming here would only be to play hooker full time, not to just continue the (hooker/utility) role he has in Melbourne?
I think it’s wishful thinking. No doubt he is a good footballer, but I think we are better off without him. Starling will continue to develop and after last season we need to get the culture piece right. When I bloke refers to himself as the hectic cheese it’s an early indicator he has an ego that might lead him to believe he is a bigger deal than the club he plays for. When you hear him talk it’s very clear it’s B Smith first and team second.
I agree with the wishful thinking comment, but disagree with everything else. We would be a better side with B Smith in it. I think you're pretty much out on your own with that comment and that would apply to just about every side (or supporter base) in the comp. He's a bloody good player and there is nothing wrong with having 'characters' in the team. If you like to follow sports with clean cut athletes that don't break any rules... well err... maybe you need to start following women's sport exclusively?
I'd say a bloke who is willing to slot into a 'battering ram' role to accommodate another player 'is' putting the team first.
You actually don’t have to scroll far in this very thread to see I’m not alone in this view. But hey don’t feel silly, I know you just like to make big statements at times to sound relevant. :thumbsup
I took the time to check, a quick scan of this thread. So you and Richmondraider are against it on character basis? Lui because of Starling, predominantly from what I can tell.

Not sure why you need to call me silly but anyway... if you were offended by me suggesting you follow women's sport then maybe I need to expand on that comment. I'm not suggesting that to slight you in any way. I'm saying that because there isn't a men's sport out there which doesn't include some drop kicks.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Free to leave: Wests Tigers to offer Raiders star Josh Hodgson two-year deal

Post by gangrenous »

Raiders666 wrote:Imagine saying no to Smith :roflmao :lol: :lol: :lol: This place is a laugh a minute
It’s not saying no to Smith in a vaccuum.

It’s about priorities, salary cap, and a team that can win.

Saying you don’t think buying Smith is a good idea isn’t necessarily saying that Smith isn’t an extremely good player you’d like to see in the team. It’s got to be considered in the context of a team already committing to Starling, it doesn’t make sense to have two players who will demand first grade time to justify their salary and keep them from destabilising the team further than it is already. Add to that questionable disciple and judgement in a team which just about takes first place for questionable decision making and judgement and you’ve got reasonable concerns despite thinking Smith is very good.

Starting from scratch, sure target Smith. Building up the current squad? I think there’s legitimate reasons to question that’s the best move.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: Free to leave: Wests Tigers to offer Raiders star Josh Hodgson two-year deal

Post by Raiders666 »

gangrenous wrote: October 16, 2021, 10:45 am
Raiders666 wrote:Imagine saying no to Smith :roflmao :lol: :lol: :lol: This place is a laugh a minute

Saying you don’t think buying Smith is a good idea isn’t necessarily saying that Smith isn’t an extremely good player you’d like to see in the team. It’s got to be considered in the context of a team already committing to Starling, it doesn’t make sense to have two players who will demand first grade time to justify their salary and keep them from destabilising the team further than it is already. Add to that questionable disciple and judgement in a team which just about takes first place for questionable decision making and judgement and you’ve got reasonable concerns despite thinking Smith is very good.

Starting from scratch, sure target Smith. Building up the current squad? I think there’s legitimate reasons to question that’s the best move.
Yeah that's fair enough...Still I'd drive Starling to the airport if we could sign Smith. The guy is a winner and a difference maker, a bit like John Bateman
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote:
-PJ- wrote: October 16, 2021, 6:40 am
greeneyed wrote: October 16, 2021, 6:33 am I’ll do some writing about the Raiders I expect. You?
Can you give us something promising ?
I can. Today I’ll write about Ryan Sutton.
Uugh!

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Raiders666 wrote: October 16, 2021, 10:49 am
gangrenous wrote: October 16, 2021, 10:45 am

Yeah that's fair enough...Still I'd drive Starling to the airport if we could sign Smith. The guy is a winner and a difference maker, a bit like John Bateman
Absolutely, he has the on field intangibles that amount to winning.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: October 16, 2021, 10:37 am
Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
gergreg wrote: October 16, 2021, 9:22 am Agreed. He has had no luck with injuries. As in not having a long and consistent run of games without injury. Last season he looked to be developing into his potential.

Where are these B Smith comments coming from? Are you guys trying to start a rumour?

And agree with Lui (I think it was). Where does it leave Starling if Smith was to come? You would think that him coming here would only be to play hooker full time, not to just continue the (hooker/utility) role he has in Melbourne?
I think it’s wishful thinking. No doubt he is a good footballer, but I think we are better off without him. Starling will continue to develop and after last season we need to get the culture piece right. When I bloke refers to himself as the hectic cheese it’s an early indicator he has an ego that might lead him to believe he is a bigger deal than the club he plays for. When you hear him talk it’s very clear it’s B Smith first and team second.
I agree with the wishful thinking comment, but disagree with everything else. We would be a better side with B Smith in it. I think you're pretty much out on your own with that comment and that would apply to just about every side (or supporter base) in the comp. He's a bloody good player and there is nothing wrong with having 'characters' in the team. If you like to follow sports with clean cut athletes that don't break any rules... well err... maybe you need to start following women's sport exclusively?
I'd say a bloke who is willing to slot into a 'battering ram' role to accommodate another player 'is' putting the team first.
You actually don’t have to scroll far in this very thread to see I’m not alone in this view. But hey don’t feel silly, I know you just like to make big statements at times to sound relevant. :thumbsup
I took the time to check, a quick scan of this thread. So you and Richmondraider are against it on character basis? Lui because of Starling, predominantly from what I can tell.

Not sure why you need to call me silly but anyway... if you were offended by me suggesting you follow women's sport then maybe I need to expand on that comment. I'm not suggesting that to slight you in any way. I'm saying that because there isn't a men's sport out there which doesn't include some drop kicks.
Your perhaps unintentionally sexist comment about women’s sport didn’t bother me (Liz Cambage says hi). The grandiose statement about nobody at any club or supporter base sharing my view when there are actually others in this thread holding the same view was the one that made me roll my eyes. I wasn’t offended - very rarely am and never about forum comments.

I made a comment on a game day thread prior to the grand final that Munster and B Smith were not well aligned with the Melbourne culture and in the absence of leaders like C Smith I thought it had potential to be the beginning of the end for the storm. That view was dismissed as well and a day later the powder videos emerge and C Smith is in the media echoing comments I made about Storm culture. You don’t have to agree with my take on B Smith but you shouldn’t be so quick to dismiss it. Very talented footballer but lacks the maturity to succeed unless he is surrounded by strong leadership and good culture. We don’t currently have that at the raiders - Sia retired, James left, Hodgo on the way out and question marks on Croker and Whitehead.

We need new leaders to emerge and culture to establish and I wouldn’t suggest bringing players like Brandon Smith or Adam Elliot into the senior players group will aid the development of the successful culture we need.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Lol the Melbourne Culture is a massive myth. EDIT
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:

Your perhaps unintentionally sexist comment about women’s sport didn’t bother me (Liz Cambage says hi). The grandiose statement about nobody at any club or supporter base sharing my view when there are actually others in this thread holding the same view was the one that made me roll my eyes. I wasn’t offended - very rarely am and never about forum comments.

I made a comment on a game day thread prior to the grand final that Munster and B Smith were not well aligned with the Melbourne culture and in the absence of leaders like C Smith I thought it had potential to be the beginning of the end for the storm. That view was dismissed as well and a day later the powder videos emerge and C Smith is in the media echoing comments I made about Storm culture. You don’t have to agree with my take on B Smith but you shouldn’t be so quick to dismiss it. Very talented footballer but lacks the maturity to succeed unless he is surrounded by strong leadership and good culture. We don’t currently have that at the raiders - Sia retired, James left, Hodgo on the way out and question marks on Croker and Whitehead.

We need new leaders to emerge and culture to establish and I wouldn’t suggest bringing players like Brandon Smith or Adam Elliot into the senior players group will aid the development of the successful culture we need.
How is my comment that women's sport has less dropkicks than men's sport sexist to women? It's a backhanded compliment to women's sport.

Edit... you say 'others' but maybe to be more accurate you should say '1 other'.

There is a culture problem at the Storm since Cam Smith retired - because a couple of players got busted on the nose beers despite Proctor and Bromwich getting busted for the same a few years ago? Bromwich is currently in their leadership group too.

Clubs have gotten better at managing these sorts of issues recently and controlling the story. Just because more players aren't caught I think it's much more prevalent than any of us really know.
Last edited by gerg on October 16, 2021, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Raiders666 wrote: October 16, 2021, 12:16 pm Lol the Melbourne Culture is a massive myth. EDIT
I don’t understand your post.

Are you using sarcasm to suggest the Melbourne culture hasn’t been in anyway weakened or are you suggesting the culture was never as significant and people might have suggested?
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Billy Walker wrote: October 16, 2021, 12:31 pm
Raiders666 wrote: October 16, 2021, 12:16 pm Lol the Melbourne Culture is a massive myth. EDIT

Are you using sarcasm to suggest the Melbourne culture hasn’t been in anyway weakened or are you suggesting the culture was never as significant and people might have suggested?
I'm suggesting the latter...Only talking from experience with certain players. Not taking anything away from Bellamy and his personal standards but the club as a whole is no better than the rest of the comp.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: October 16, 2021, 12:29 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:

How is my comment that women's sport has less dropkicks than men's sport sexist to women? It's a backhanded compliment to women's sport.

Edit... you say 'others' but maybe to be more accurate you should say '1 other'.

There is a culture problem at the Storm since Cam Smith retired - because a couple of players got busted on the nose beers despite Proctor and Bromwich getting busted for the same a few years ago? Bromwich is currently in their leadership group too.

Clubs have gotten better at managing these sorts of issues recently and controlling the story. Just because more players aren't caught I think it's much more prevalent than any of us really know.
Your view that women make clean cut athletes that never break any rules might be viewed as a little 1950’s by some. Marion Jones being stripped of Sydney Olympic medals springs to mind, Liz Cambage is currently under investigation for her behaviour in the lead up to the last Olympics. Were Millie Boyle and Candice Falzone innocent parties in the toilet cubicals? You do realise the ladies no longer play Wimbledon in full length white dresses yeah :roflmao
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Raiders666 wrote: October 16, 2021, 12:34 pm

I'm suggesting the latter...Only talking from experience with certain players. Not taking anything away from Bellamy and his personal standards but the club as a whole is no better than the rest of the comp.
There are a lot of academic studies into the links between culture and success in sport and most clubs across all codes invest heavily into developing a winning culture. The Storms success can’t be argued and it was been maintained over a period where the playing roster has evolved. I think you might struggle to argue they haven’t had a successful winning culture.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Billy Walker wrote: October 16, 2021, 12:48 pm

There are a lot of academic studies into the links between culture and success in sport and most clubs across all codes invest heavily into developing a winning culture. The Storms success can’t be argued and it was been maintained over a period where the playing roster has evolved. I think you might struggle to argue they haven’t had a successful winning culture.
I agree...They certainly have a winning culture. They aren't choir boys however
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Raiders666 wrote: October 16, 2021, 12:57 pm

I suspect you’re right. I imagine there are a number of sub-cultures within any team. Included in those would be the party-boy culture. It is probably healthy to have numerous cultures and diversity it a team and long as the overarching dominant culture is the team first success culture. Melbourne had a very clear dominant culture of success but I believe that has been weakened with the retirement of C.Smith and other quality senior leaders. I think Munster and B Smith have talent to excel in a structure where they play a defined role. They are now senior players and leaders in that structure and neither has the character, maturity or ambition to maintain the culture of success. If B Smith is smart he will pull his head in and stay at the storm or move to a club like the chooks that is much bigger than the individual. He’d go well there. If he goes to the Dolphins, the Warriors or the Raiders it ends in tears.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:
gergreg wrote: October 16, 2021, 12:29 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:

Your view that women make clean cut athletes that never break any rules might be viewed as a little 1950’s by some. Marion Jones being stripped of Sydney Olympic medals springs to mind, Liz Cambage is currently under investigation for her behaviour in the lead up to the last Olympics. Were Millie Boyle and Candice Falzone innocent parties in the toilet cubicals? You do realise the ladies no longer play Wimbledon in full length white dresses yeah :roflmao
You're likening Marion Jones, who took PEDs and Liz Cambage (who I think is being accused of bullying and racism), to male sports stars who regularly get convicted of sexual assault, rape, assault, DV, recreational drug use, mistreatment of women .... man I could go on here ... it's reliving some history but we had an up and coming star who allegedly had a rap sheet with 30+ indiscretions, before we decided to punt him - after actually giving him another chance. I'm sure those female sports stars would be totally outraged with me for suggesting they're not morons like their male equivalents.

No comments on the rest of my post?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Don’t have to google hard to find female sport stars convicted of assault, domestic violence, drink driving etc etc https://www.sbs.com.au/topics/zela/arti ... n-went-bad

Women aren’t expected to live to a different standard since - I dunno - 1950 maybe? Change is tough mate but sometimes you just gotta go with it.

The post above yours provides my comments on Storm culture decline
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raiders666 wrote:

Yep, the Storm definitely have a culture of winning on the field, but it is also fair to say that the examples of Munster, Bromwich, Scott and B Smith demonstrate they have the same issues as any other club off the field. Munster would have to be one of the loosest units in the NRL.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Let's not forget NAS lol
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:Don’t have to google hard to find female sport stars convicted of assault, domestic violence, drink driving etc etc https://www.sbs.com.au/topics/zela/arti ... n-went-bad

Women aren’t expected to live to a different standard since - I dunno - 1950 maybe? Change is tough mate but sometimes you just gotta go with it.

The post above yours provides my comments on Storm culture decline
Let me get this straight. I'm being sexist, against women, because I'm suggesting that female professional athletes are not as likely to be total scumbags like their male counterparts. Okay, I'm out.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Hodgson contract discussions in holding pattern

Josh Hodgson's future's in a holding pattern following the sacking of Wests Tigers football manager Adam Hartigan. There could be another spanner in the Hodgson-Tigers works, with Penrith hooker Api Koroisau also linked with a move to the Tigers due to salary pressure at the Panthers.

"Tim Sheens just wants to get his head across the whole thing so it's probably on a little bit of a time delay at the moment until he gets his head around their salary cap situation," Peter Mulholland said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I’d take Api
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Ditch Hodgo and get Api. Gun player and a massive loss to Penrith if they don’t keep him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I too subscribe to the Api train
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Api and Starling would be a dynamic one two punch
But is that really what either wants?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Api and Starling would be a dynamic one two punch
But is that really what either wants?
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

We must have a 9 lined up surely
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

I'd be happy with Api
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Api whistle
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Not sure if he would be interested in moving out of Sydney plus it says linked to tigers?
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by GreenGirl »

Billy Walker wrote: October 16, 2021, 9:34 am
Billy Walker wrote:I thought Liddell showed a bit of promise in the 9 jumper for the Tigers last year. I guess it is the tigers and around a pile of garbage you might just be noticing the blow flies.
Agreed. He has had no luck with injuries. As in not having a long and consistent run of games without injury. Last season he looked to be developing into his potential.

He doesn't play like that on the field and I generally don't think for the vast majority of it he is like it off it either - otherwise Belamy and the Storm culture would off cut his **** years ago.

If there was a possibility to get B Smith you sign him and then make it work. Starling can sulk all he wants - its the nature of professional football. You tell Starling he is still the 20 minute bench backup - if he doesn't like it we will not stand in your way if you find something better - aka Roosters with Cronk v Pearce
Last edited by GreenGirl on October 16, 2021, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

GreenGirl wrote: October 16, 2021, 8:45 pm

He doesn't play like that on the field and I generally don't think for the vast majority of it he is like it off it either - otherwise Belamy and the Storm culture would off cut his **** years ago.

If there was a possibility to get B Smith you sign him and then make it work. Starling can sulk all he wants - its the nature of professional football. Remember when Roosters signed Cronk over Pearce ?
Hey GG - he is a great player, but I’ve got my doubts about him. I think for the $$ he’d be asking there are better options.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

The decision makes sense but seeing Hodgo in another jersey will be hard.
Best of luck to him.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by GreenGirl »

Billy Walker wrote: October 16, 2021, 8:55 pm

If there was a possibility to get B Smith you sign him and then make it work. Starling can sulk all he wants - its the nature of professional football. Remember when Roosters signed Cronk over Pearce ?
Hey GG - he is a great player, but I’ve got my doubts about him. I think for the $$ he’d be asking there are better options.
Don't disagree with that at all. I was just getting the **** with people suggesting you can't sign him because you would upset Starling with his minutes.

btw - number 2 on the way mid next season so we in for a good one (not that I am confident)
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

GreenGirl wrote: October 16, 2021, 9:03 pm
gergreg wrote: October 16, 2021, 9:22 am Agreed. He has had no luck with injuries. As in not having a long and consistent run of games without injury. Last season he looked to be developing into his potential.

Don't disagree with that at all. I was just getting the **** with people suggesting you can't sign him because you would upset Starling with his minutes.

btw - number 2 on the way mid next season so we in for a good one (not that I am confident)
Way back when (yesterday) I said that I didn't think Smith was worth it because he would pretty much be a straight swap for Hodgson - if that wasn't clear in my post, and it probably wasn't, it is what I meant - and I still think that's true. It's not about protecting Starling's feelings, it's about basic roster management. We had a one-two punch at dummy half and clearly it wasn't go to continue to be viable. The same applies if we buy Smith or Korisau. It's just a waste of cap space. Given that Starling appears to be better than serviceable, why would we waste a chunk of cap to bring in someone that not only gave him the ***** but also basically duplicated what he can do, or will be able to do in a year or two's time? What we need is someone who can provide ten or fifteen minutes of backup dummy half service while being valuable and/or useful somewhere else on the field.

Instead of wasting more cap money.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

GreenGirl wrote: October 16, 2021, 9:03 pm

Big congrats GG! Hope it’s all going well for you.