2021 in review - Corey Harawira-Naera

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Now it is season over for the Canberra Raiders, we will be reviewing the year of all 31 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2021. So far, we have looked at the season of Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Xavier Savage, Caleb Aekins, Jordan Rapana, Bailey Simonsson, Semi Valemei, Harley Smith-Shields, Sebastian Kris, Jarrod Croker, Curtis Scott, Matt Timoko, Jack Wighton, Sam Williams, George Williams, Matt Frawley, Josh Papalii, Joseph Tapine, Emre Guler, Sia Soliola, Ryan James, Dunamis Lui, Josh Hodgson, Tom Starling, Elliott Whitehead and Hudson Young.

Corey Harawira-Naera joined the Canberra Raiders in the middle of 2020, after a controversy filled start to the year with the Canterbury Bulldogs. He and Jayden Okunbor had their contracts terminated by the Bulldogs, and they were deregistered by the NRL, due to off field incidents during a pre season trip to Port Macquarie. In July, the NRL Appeals Tribunal determined that the contract terminations were too harsh and should be reversed - with Harawira-Naera handed a 10 game suspension and $15,000 fine instead. Harawira-Naera, however, refused to return to the Bulldogs - and signed a two and a half year deal with the Raiders.

His arrival in Canberra was welcome news for the Raiders, not least because of the impending departure of second rower John Bateman. He went on to play 11 games in 2020. Unfortunately, his year ended in more controversy. He was pulled over on Christmas Day and was charged with mid range drink driving. He ended up being suspended by the NRL for the first two games of 2021 and fined 10,000.

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart was clearly not amused. Harawira-Naera was required to start his year in NSW Cup - and he had to force his way into first grade. He played four games in the "Raiders Reggies" and it is no surprise he made a mark. He scored four tries and produced two try assists and 23 tackle breaks. He broke 100 metres gained twice.

He was promoted to firsts in the Round 7 loss to the Cowboys - and pushed Hudson Young to the bench in a late switch. He held onto a starting role for the next 13 games, either partnering Elliott Whitehead (nine matches) or Young (four matches). He was dropped to the bench in the Round 21 clash with the Dragons, with Young preferred in the starting team.

Harawira-Naera also started on the bench in the following week against the Storm - when he was sent off for a tackle on Jahrome Hughes that unfortunately went very wrong. The Raiders were trailing by just six with five minutes remaining - and the Storm were on the attack in the red zone. He came off the line very fast in a hope of changing the momentum, but ended up wiping out the Storm half. The ensuing penalty goal sealed the victory for Melbourne. He issued a heart felt apology to Hughes after the game and was suspended for the final three rounds of the season. He showed a lot of class and genuine contrition.

I rated Harawira-Naera an average of 5.9/10 through the season, with his overall season rating pushed down by the number of games he missed. I rated him an "8" twice - in the late season wins over the Sharks and Eels. For mine, his best performance came in that Round 18 game against Cronulla, when he posted 14 runs for 146 metres, 28 post contact metres, 13 tackle breaks, seven offloads, 29 tackles and 94 per cent tackle efficiency. He was twice given "man of the match" honours in Fans' Choice voting (Round 12 V Roosters and Round 18 V Sharks). He ranked equal fifth, on 10 points, with Josh Hodgson, in the final tally.

Harawira-Naera's relative strength is his attack. He ranked equal third among the Raiders forwards, with Hudson Young, for total try involvements. Among the forwards, he also ranked first for average offloads, second for average tackle breaks (behind Young) and third for average line breaks (behind Young and Ryan James). In defence, he ranked fourth for average tackles among the forwards - but 10th for tackle efficiency. Only Sia Soliola and Elliott Whitehead had lower tackle efficiency rates. However, his try causes and line break causes were relatively low - as was his error count.

Harawira-Naera had a real battle with Hudson Young for a starting second row spot this year - with Young starting 14 times, and Harawira Naera starting 13 times. The two players have different styles, with Harawira-Naera more creative in attack, while Young is more reliant on his power running and possibly better in defence. The thing that proved most costly for Harawira-Naera this year was his discipline. Most fans would have him as a favourite for one starting second row spot for Round 1 next year. Hopefully we see him at his very best for a full 2022 season.

How did you rate Corey Harawira-Naera's 2021? Tell us below.

Corey Harawira-Naera's 2021: 5.5/10

2021 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 15
Average minutes: 71
Tries: 4
Try assists: 2
Try contributions: 2
Total try involvements: 8
Total kicks: 2
Kick metres: 46
Total runs: 129
All run metres: 1120
Average metres per carry: 8
Average metres per game: 75
Tackle breaks: 44
Offloads: 27
Line breaks: 4
Line break assists: 4
Tackles: 439
Average tackles per game: 29
1 on 1 tackles: 32
Missed tackles: 40
Average missed tackles per game: 2.7
Ineffective tackles: 22
Tackle efficiency: 87 per cent
Try causes: 5
Line break causes: 9
Errors: 6
Penalties conceded: 12
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: 2021 in review - Corey Harawira-Naera

Post by Canberra Milk »

Decent. A threat in attack. Got crap ball when George Williams was halfback. Not a great defender at times, seems to lack urgency there

I'd say 7, could forgive ppl going lower
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

5.5.... wow. I think that's low.
He was probably our best player for a period of the season. I'd argue he was our best backrower this yr. At worst he should be on par with Huddo IMO
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Harawira-Naera is hands down our best backrower and we're lucky to have him in our squad. If we had a second Harawira-Naera in the squad, we wouldn't be discussing potential recruitment options for second row.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Just needs to work on his discipline in maintaining his position in the defensive line
Can’t go chasing the football to the opposite side of the field

Other than that, when he was in position he was fine defensively, and he’s our best attacking edge forward by a very large margin

You can see the space he creates for his outside men on back line movements to his side
Teams fear and respect his line break ability enough that it freezes defenders. And when we do play short to him, he’s shown that fear and respect is warranted as he is a legitimate line break and second phase threat
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I thought he was out best 2nd rower- did well in attack and did the least worst in defence. But if some people think Young shaded him, I can live with that. It's close.

At first I thought GE had dudded him but he only played 15 games. So if you only play 60% of the season, I guess you lose a point.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

You’re a bit under here GE. He was certainly one of better performers in the second half of the season pre-suspension.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Another of our frustrating players. All the pieces are there. Just need some discipline and professionalism to bring it all together more often.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I hope we sign him up long term
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Very good attacking player.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Morning dub, what’s on today ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

6/10 due to number of games played. I hope he can recover from his hit on Hughes. He took his mistake very much to heart. If he has no off field incidents and a good pre-season I expect he will get more games in 2022. His combination with Fogarty will be crucial to our right side attack. Big, fast and strong with footwork and an offload. He is one fine natural attacking player. Defensively he seemed to be baited by some opposition players and he would chase them and find himself out of position on subsequent plays. A bit more focus on the team task and he is one of the best 2nd rowers in the NRL.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

First rating I agree with. Gave us some punch in attack but balanced that out with really poor discipline in defence and penalties conceded. Poor discipline also limited him to 15 games, pretty poor bang for buck there.

At this stage it's hard to see him ever getting any consistency on the defensive end. Hard to see us being a top 4 team with someone so inconsistent being a permanent fixture in the starting side.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, this bloke is a mixed bag. At his best he's certainly a weapon, at his worst he's a bit of a liability in defence.

Clearly our best second rower now though. Hopefully he doesn't do anything stupid this offseason and can hit the ground running.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk