Voting will open soon on the Canberra Raiders 40 Year Dream Team!

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Voting will open soon on the Canberra Raiders 40 Year Dream Team!

Post by greeneyed »

To vote you must be a member of TheGH.com.au. So if you want to be a part of history, make sure you’ve registered and you're an active member of our site. How to register: http://ow.ly/3HST50GsEn0

If you have views on nominees, please post them below.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Voting will open soon on the Canberra Raiders 40 Year Dream Team!

Post by Billy Walker »

Papa would challenge Sam Backo for his place, but beyond that any changes reflect younger forum members that didn’t see some of the actual legends in that 25 year side in action. I suspect Rapa will likely get a start and no doubt the Croker fan club will do its best to suggest he should be make the bench or something. Most likely he will be picked over an international and SOO star like Peter Jackson.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Papa in. The rest stays as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We will be posting up the 30 year and 35 year dream teams as well before we start.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: October 17, 2021, 3:17 pm Papa would challenge Sam Backo for his place, but beyond that any changes reflect younger forum members that didn’t see some of the actual legends in that 25 year side in action. I suspect Rapa will likely get a start and no doubt the Croker fan club will do its best to suggest he should be make the bench or something. Most likely he will be picked over an international and SOO star like Peter Jackson.
Papa for Backo for mine, I even think one of Pongia or Lomax was better than Backo.

Rapa for Noa

For centre, I'm not going for either Peter Jackson or Croker. If Mullins cannot fit into our best 13 when he was Aust, NSW and a premiership winner then I question whether it's really the best Raiders team.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: October 17, 2021, 3:17 pm Papa would challenge Sam Backo for his place, but beyond that any changes reflect younger forum members that didn’t see some of the actual legends in that 25 year side in action. I suspect Rapa will likely get a start and no doubt the Croker fan club will do its best to suggest he should be make the bench or something. Most likely he will be picked over an international and SOO star like Peter Jackson.
Yeah Papa is a shoe in. I can see Backo slipping to the bench and Todd out.

Rapana is a big show to get over Noa, this last year might have sealed the deal for him.

Personally I don't see a spot for Jarrod Croker over Mullins, O 'Sullivan or Jason Croker.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

How do people view their selections for this team - pick the players you would pick to lineup in a one off winner takes all style match (where a John Bateman may make some sides) or as a reward for service (where a Jarrod Croker may make some sides)?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It’s the greatest Canberra Raiders team in history. Of course, people can vote however they choose. For mine it should take into account the record of achievement in the game and for the club. The polls will outline the records of each player nominated. There are polls for each position.

I’ll need to go back to the eligibility criteria, but I think our cut off for nominations last time was 40 first grade games played for the club. On that basis, I doubt Bateman will even be eligible for nomination. Plus there’ll be a minimum number of games played in each position if they’re to be selected in that spot… so we recognise the actual wingers or centres etc. Players who miss a starting position can still make it on the bench.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Wiki Special wrote: October 17, 2021, 7:24 pm How do people view their selections for this team - pick the players you would pick to lineup in a one off winner takes all style match (where a John Bateman may make some sides) or as a reward for service (where a Jarrod Croker may make some sides)?
I always view them as hypothetically taking on the best sides other clubs can name around the comp from their respective histories - that way you're generally picking your best, and better at putting aside biases.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

greeneyed wrote: October 17, 2021, 7:40 pm It’s the greatest Canberra Raiders team in history. Of course, people can vote however they choose. For mine it should take into account the record of achievement in the game and for the club. The polls will outline the records of each player nominated. There are polls for each position.

I’ll need to go back to the eligibility criteria, but I think our cut off for nominations last time was 40 first grade games played for the club. On that basis, I doubt Bateman will even be eligible for nomination. Plus there’ll be a minimum number of games played in each position if they’re to be selected in that spot… so we recognise the actual wingers or centres etc. Players who miss a starting position can still make it on the bench.
Thanks. Does a player like Wiki get a nom at Centre? Because that is where he'd be in mine but I notice he was picked in the 2nd Row in the 25 year team.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

afgtnk wrote: October 17, 2021, 7:56 pm
Wiki Special wrote: October 17, 2021, 7:24 pm How do people view their selections for this team - pick the players you would pick to lineup in a one off winner takes all style match (where a John Bateman may make some sides) or as a reward for service (where a Jarrod Croker may make some sides)?
I always view them as hypothetically taking on the best sides other clubs can name around the comp from their respective histories - that way you're generally picking your best, and better at putting aside biases.
Yeah, I agree with that mentality for the 13 starters then for mine I'd pick the next best 4 players (in my opinion) regardless of position for the bench.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wiki Special wrote: October 17, 2021, 7:57 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 17, 2021, 7:40 pm It’s the greatest Canberra Raiders team in history. Of course, people can vote however they choose. For mine it should take into account the record of achievement in the game and for the club. The polls will outline the records of each player nominated. There are polls for each position.

Thanks. Does a player like Wiki get a nom at Centre? Because that is where he'd be in mine but I notice he was picked in the 2nd Row in the 25 year team.
We will fill the spine first and then I think we filled the forward pack, then the backs and the bench last time. So if a player has been picked they don’t go into an alternative poll. If you want a player in a poll in another position, you need to save your vote. And argue why they’re best picked elsewhere. We will identify how many games players played in each position.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 17, 2021, 4:01 pm
Papa for Backo for mine, I even think one of Pongia or Lomax was better than Backo.

Rapa for Noa

For centre, I'm not going for either Peter Jackson or Croker. If Mullins cannot fit into our best 13 when he was Aust, NSW and a premiership winner then I question whether it's really the best Raiders team.
They really weren't.

And Mullins is nowhere near our best 13. He's a great player who had a purple patch that lasted about 5 games. Two tries against an ordinary Knights team doesn't make him a legend. You can disagree but you'd be wrong. Wiki and Jackson were both better centres, and Colin Best was almost as dymamic. And don't forget Matt Elliot's dark horse for rep honours, David Howell.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mullins won't qualify on the wing, as he didn't play enough games there. He only played 12 games in that position for the Raiders and it would be unfair on the actual wingers to include him there. He played on the wing for the Roosters, but that is irrelevant. Mullins played 42 games at centre for Canberra, so he will be nominated there if he misses at fullback.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

Add an 18th man and solve some arguments. Makes sense to match the squad rules at the time given half of the side played under different interchange and benches.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Wiki Special wrote: October 17, 2021, 7:57 pm

Same actually. He was our best non-Mal centre by a wide margin and we have healthy backrow and prop stocks. He makes my team full stop, but the young centre Wiki is my preference.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Lui_Bon wrote: October 17, 2021, 8:39 pm

Rapa for Noa

They really weren't.

And Mullins is nowhere near our best 13. He's a great player who had a purple patch that lasted about 5 games. Two tries against an ordinary Knights team doesn't make him a legend. You can disagree but you'd be wrong. Wiki and Jackson were both better centres, and Colin Best was almost as dymamic. And don't forget Matt Elliot's dark horse for rep honours, David Howell.
There's still some youtube of 80s Raiders games with Backo tearing it up. He had the toughness of those two Kiwi's but also another gear with ball in hand. Lomax and Pongia stalwarts but a little bit more limited imo.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: October 18, 2021, 7:19 am
Lui_Bon wrote: October 17, 2021, 8:39 pm

Rapa for Noa

They really weren't.

There's still some youtube of 80s Raiders games with Backo tearing it up. He had the toughness of those two Kiwi's but also another gear with ball in hand. Lomax and Pongia stalwarts but a little bit more limited imo.
Slamming Sam Backo was a very good footballer and had an ability to get across the line in a similar way that Papa does. The club has had some very good front rowers over the years. Anyway you cut it there will be at least a couple of worthy players missing out and not as big of a margin between our best and fourth best as there might be for other positions.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Is the picking of the bench open slather, i.e. can pick any 4 players you want regardless of position? I hope so
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Wiki Special wrote: October 18, 2021, 1:54 pm Is the picking of the bench open slather, i.e. can pick any 4 players you want regardless of position? I hope so
I’m guessing yes, with the caveat that should Ricky be selected coach of the team you must nominate which of your 4 bench selection only gets to see the last 7 minutes of the game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wiki Special wrote: October 18, 2021, 1:54 pm Is the picking of the bench open slather, i.e. can pick any 4 players you want regardless of position? I hope so
I think last time we went for two props, and a back rower and a utility. But will look at the composition. Last time we also voted on a top 25 squad, which is what we had at the time. This time we’ll probably do a top 30 squad.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

greeneyed wrote: October 18, 2021, 2:16 pm
I think last time we went for two props, and a back rower and a utility. But will look at the composition. Last time we also voted on a top 25 squad, which is what we had at the time. This time we’ll probably do a top 30 squad.
Obviously others may disagree but I prefer it be the next best 4 regardless of position. My bench would be Hodgson, Jason Croker and a toss up between Wighton/Backo/Jackson for the last two spots.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I can’t see Hodgo and Jarrod keeping their positions. A little bit of currency bias in that 35 year team I suspect
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Billy Walker wrote: October 19, 2021, 1:35 pm I can’t see Hodgo and Jarrod keeping their positions. A little bit of currency bias in that 35 year team I suspect
I agree on Jarrod but I reckon Hodgson should hold a bench spot still.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Billy Walker wrote: October 19, 2021, 1:35 pm I can’t see Hodgo and Jarrod keeping their positions. A little bit of currency bias in that 35 year team I suspect
Jarrod to captain off the bench like K Gidley? Then again we have fans who genuinely rate him over Jackson and Wiki as a centre so maybe he'll be partnering Mal and showing him who's boss.

I'd have O'Sullivan over Hodgo in the 14.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 19, 2021, 2:09 pm
Jarrod to captain off the bench like K Gidley? Then again we have fans who genuinely rate him over Jackson and Wiki as a centre so maybe he'll be partnering Mal and showing him who's boss.

I'd have O'Sullivan over Hodgo in the 14.
Yeah Sully was always a favourite of mine
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Rapana, Wighton and whitehead move into that squad imo
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Don't really think Papa and Wiki are edge players. David Furner surely deserves a second row edge spot. His goal kicking sucked though !

Mullins deserves a spot in the 17, if not 13.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 20, 2021, 9:04 am Don't really think Papa and Wiki are edge players. David Furner surely deserves a second row edge spot. His goal kicking sucked though !

Papa was a very good edge for most of his career and Wiki played his best football in the second row. The only reason Wiki wouldn't get picked there is if people want to stop Croker getting a center spot.

You are right on Furner though, I watched nearly every old Raiders game on Youtube during the lockdown and he went way up in my estimations by the end of it. Papalii shouldn't have got the spot over him in that earlier squad.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Crash Ball wrote: October 20, 2021, 9:43 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 20, 2021, 9:04 am Don't really think Papa and Wiki are edge players. David Furner surely deserves a second row edge spot. His goal kicking sucked though !

Papa was a very good edge for most of his career and Wiki played his best football in the second row. The only reason Wiki wouldn't get picked there is if people want to stop Croker getting a center spot.

You are right on Furner though, I watched nearly every old Raiders game on Youtube during the lockdown and he went way up in my estimations by the end of it. Papalii shouldn't have got the spot over him in that earlier squad.
I think Papa is a better middle and Wiki was a better centre than both at second row. Papa had his best period in the middle and was one of the top 5 players in the NRL between 2019-20, perhaps even top 3. You're like me - I enjoy watching our older videos to help me get over about the style we now play and lose. We played totally the opposite with shifts from our zone and left to right, then back right to left with a great Ricky Stuart pass. The lead up to the Clyde try in the 1991 GF is an example.

I've watched us play since the late 1980s and I think David Furner deserves his place in our best team as a starting 2nd row. He also played in a period where it was difficult to stand out given all our stars.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Rapa is the only guy in the last 5yrs that isnt already in that side Id even consider.
Wighton isnt displacing Daley. Nor is he good enough to be the utility or at centre.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Matt wrote: October 20, 2021, 10:17 am Rapa is the only guy in the last 5yrs that isnt already in that side Id even consider.
Wighton isnt displacing Daley. Nor is he good enough to be the utility or at centre.
The NSW selectors don’t agree with you there Matt. Over a number of years they decided he was a better centre and a better utility than the bloke in the 4 jumper who was also available for NSW selection.

FWIW - if we are fair dinkum neither Jack or Croker make a raiders best ever team but Jack has a Daly M, a Churchill and a strong rep resume that makes him a much stronger case between the two.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hopefully the poll for fullback will be out today. Here were my first thoughts for the 40 year Dream Team from earlier this year. I think I'm leaning towards Brett Mullins as the utility instead of Hodgson. Walters was an 80 minute hooker. Also thinking about whether there is a place for Backo.