2021 in review - Siliva Havili

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Now it is season over for the Canberra Raiders, we will be reviewing the year of all 31 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2021. So far, we have looked at the season of Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Xavier Savage, Caleb Aekins, Jordan Rapana, Bailey Simonsson, Semi Valemei, Harley Smith-Shields, Sebastian Kris, Jarrod Croker, Curtis Scott, Matt Timoko, Jack Wighton, Sam Williams, George Williams, Matt Frawley, Josh Papalii, Joseph Tapine, Emre Guler, Sia Soliola, Ryan James, Dunamis Lui, Josh Hodgson, Tom Starling, Elliott Whitehead, Hudson Young, Corey Harawira-Naera, Ryan Sutton and Corey Horsburgh.

Siliva Havili came to the Raiders in 2018, as cover for hooker Josh Hodgson, who had been sidelined with an ACL injury. He ended up playing every game of the season for the Raiders, and made an unexpected splash at starting hooker in the first 14 rounds. Fast forward to 2020, Havili again needed to stand in for an injured Hodgson for half the season. He played every match last year, nine at starting hooker.

In 2021, however, Havili notched up just 11 appearances in first grade, all off the bench. He prefers to play at dummy half, but with Hodgson back on the field and the emergence of Tom Starling, he was increasingly not required there. He's versatile enough to play anywhere in the pack - and in the days of Vlandysball, his body type is probably better suited to the role of a utility forward.

Havili played in the first nine rounds of this season, before being dropped to NSW Cup. He played six games in the Raiders "reserve grade" outfit - up until that competition was suspended, and then cancelled, due to Sydney's COVID outbreak. He was brought back to the top 17 in firsts for the final two rounds of the season. In NSW Cup, he produced six try assists, five line break assists, one forced line drop out and 94 per cent tackle efficiency.

I rated him an average of 4.5/10 for his 11 NRL matches (5.6/10 in 2020). His average was affected by the fact that he played less than 10 minutes in a couple of matches. His highest score of "7" came in the unfortunate Round 3 loss to the Warriors - when he played nearly 70 minutes. His highest metres gained (90) came in the Round 4 win over the Titans, while his top tackle count (30) was posted against the Warriors in Round 3.

Havili's average minutes fell in 2021 to 28 minutes per game (35 in 2020). He had no try involvements (three in 2020) and his average running metres per game fell (39, compared with 61 in 2020). He ranked third for metres per carry at the club. In defence, his tackle efficiency rate fell slightly (91 per cent, compared with 93 per cent in 2020). That was equal fourth at the club, alongside Dunamis Lui, and behind Josh Papalii, Ryan James and Joe Tapine. His average tackles per match fell to 16 (18 in 2020) and he conceded four try causes (two in 2020).

Havili's contract at the Raiders expired at the end of this season and the club decided not to offer him a new deal. It looks like the Raiders didn't see a role for him at hooker, and decided to inject some new blood into the forward pack. He's reportedly secured a contract with the South Sydney Rabbitohs, but that is still to be officially announced. When Havili came to the Raiders, he was without a club and had not played a single NRL match in 2017 with his former club, the Dragons. This year he played his 100th NRL game - and he leaves the Raiders with 80 games in green. He's served Canberra very well - particularly in the Raiders' times of need. More than once, he's saved the club's bacon. I'm certain Raiders fans will wish him the best for his future football career.

How did you rate Siliva Havili's 2021? Tell us below.

Siliva Havili's 2021: 3.5/10

2021 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 11
Average minutes: 28
Tries: 0
Try assists: 0
Try contributions: 0
Total try involvements: 0
Total kicks: 0
Kick metres: 0
Total runs: 41
Dummy half runs: 3
All run metres: 426
Average metres per carry: 10
Average metres per game: 39
Tackle breaks: 6
Offloads: 5
Line breaks: 0
Line break assists: 1
Tackles: 176
Average tackles per game: 16
1 on 1 tackles: 10
Missed tackles: 9
Average missed tackles per game: 0.8
Ineffective tackles: 7
Tackle efficiency: 91 per cent
Try causes: 4
Line break causes: 4
Errors: 1
Penalties conceded: 1
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2021 in review - Siliva Havili

Post by Billy Walker »

The limited minutes was always going to affect his season score. The fact he often tries to catch the ball like he has cinder blocks for hands probably didn’t help him much either.

I do worry who will take field goals attempts out of dummy half now he has moved on to South’s.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:The limited minutes was always going to affect his season score. The fact he often tries to catch the ball like he has cinder blocks for hands probably didn’t help him much either.

I do worry who will take field goals attempts out of dummy half now he has moved on to South’s.
Good call Billy. I just read your comment after I posted something similar in another thread.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I like Siliva and when he and Starling were sharing the 9 role for the Raiders it worked. Something happened between Sticky and his 9's in 2021. Siliva didn't get many minutes either at 9 or in the backrow. I liked his punchy running and with better than 10 meters each carry he was a positive for us. Defensively very few missed tackles per match. So why wasn't he picked? Only Sticky knows the answer to that one. Souths have a solid FGer. Only lack of game time leads me to give him a 5/10
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Struggled with the pace of the game imo.

There were a couple of game there where he played significant minutes but only managed 3 or 4 runs- playing as a middle forward- but only managed 1-2 runs per half. He's good when he does run it but the output just wasn't there at times. These were in big games vs good teams (Pamfers and Eels) and I think that's when Ricky went off him.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

RedRaider wrote: October 19, 2021, 6:38 am I like Siliva and when he and Starling were sharing the 9 role for the Raiders it worked. Something happened between Sticky and his 9's in 2021. Siliva didn't get many minutes either at 9 or in the backrow. I liked his punchy running and with better than 10 meters each carry he was a positive for us. Defensively very few missed tackles per match. So why wasn't he picked? Only Sticky knows the answer to that one. Souths have a solid FGer. Only lack of game time leads me to give him a 5/10
Likewise, I loved the Havili/Starling one-two punch. I genuinely believe Hodgson got in the way of that this year, and we were worse for it

I can hardly think of anyone better at absorbing the opening minutes, adding weight to the pack and bringing forwards onto the ball

The fact he made a genuine fist of playing as middle forward just shows his versatility. It's harsh to judge him entirely imo based on his time there. He's a hooker. I'd have to give him only about 5/10 too but no fault of his own