Canberra Raiders player Jordan Rapana sentenced for drink driving

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

myanonymoususername
Dean Lance

Re: Canberra Raiders player Jordan Rapana sentenced for drink driving

Post by myanonymoususername »

BJ123 wrote: October 25, 2021, 8:22 pm I really hope the NRL start fining players 1/26th of their salary for each week they miss due to self caused suspensions.

That will soon start some self reflection on their behaviour.
I'd have expected this to be in all player contracts, with the club not paying them when they are unable to play for stupid reasons. If it isn't already, it should be.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

🤦‍♂️
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Just when my interest in the game and the raiders has never been lower.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

myanonymoususername wrote: October 25, 2021, 10:12 pm
Finchy wrote: October 25, 2021, 6:13 pm So how are the last 3 seasons looking for charges?

Wighton x 1
Scott x 2
Hors x 1
CHN x 1
Starling x 2
Rapana x 1

Some law-abiding citizens there
I'd be curious to know how this stacks up against your average group of about 30 20-35 year olds in terms of being charged with criminal/traffic offences. Not too well I suspect.
Why stop there? Look at the entire period that Croker has been the “leader” of this club and you bring in Carney, Fergo, Dugan, Earl, Papa the 21’s players last year - I know there are many more!

I’m ready to be shouted down and told I’m crazy for trying to link anything to Croker, but when you’re talking about culture and leadership I’d have thought some responsibility sits with the club captain?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Wow, that's not even close to the limit.

I think he will rightfully be missing a few games to start the season.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Akyle1994
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: Rapana caught Drink Driving

Post by Akyle1994 »

Raider47 wrote: October 25, 2021, 12:34 pm Feeling convinced now that this club has a culture problem.

Incidents have building a lot the last few years.
Likewise. Not hearing great things coming out on how Stuart and the powers above are addressing the culture problem. One of the other team said they were unbearable to live with because of the partying that went on for days throughout the season in qld, teams ended up moving out. Sums up why our season ended the way it did.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Read any other teams forum and their comments about Raiders ‘culture’. It doesn’t read well…
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

sprintman wrote: October 26, 2021, 8:41 am Read any other teams forum and their comments about Raiders ‘culture’. It doesn’t read well…
Is it raiders culture or Rugby League culture though? Everyone has held the Roosters and Storm up as Culture Gods for example. In the last 6 weeks you have had illicit drug scandals from the storm and a drunken racism allegation from the Roosters'. Previously we had Souths players on prescription med benders; Manly players punching on at strippers; Panthers...where does one start; broncos being carted out of venues drunk in ambulances; Dragons players making their own covid rules etc etc.

I would argue strongly that the raiders issues are all consistent with Rugby league culture issues.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

gangrenous wrote: October 25, 2021, 9:48 pm
Billy Walker wrote: I’ve got a theory.
It could be bunnies!
And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Old School Green wrote: October 26, 2021, 8:57 am
sprintman wrote: October 26, 2021, 8:41 am Read any other teams forum and their comments about Raiders ‘culture’. It doesn’t read well…
Is it raiders culture or Rugby League culture though? Everyone has held the Roosters and Storm up as Culture Gods for example. In the last 6 weeks you have had illicit drug scandals from the storm and a drunken racism allegation from the Roosters'. Previously we had Souths players on prescription med benders; Manly players punching on at strippers; Panthers...where does one start; broncos being carted out of venues drunk in ambulances; Dragons players making their own covid rules etc etc.

I would argue strongly that the raiders issues are all consistent with Rugby league culture issues.
Bingo...It's not as if Ricky doesn't have high values or doesn't teach respect of the club and jersey. Not even Craig Bellamy can keep his players on the straight and narrow. It's a Rugby League culture fullstop
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Just because the sport has issues doesn't mean we shouldn't aim higher as a club and aim to improve.

Can anyone name another team that has had x10 odd alcohol related incident in 3 years?? Because we have.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It's a "male aged 18 to 30 with a large amount of disposable income" culture
You see this stuff in any virtually any circumstance where you've got a young male who has more money than he knows what to do with.

It's FEELS more prevalent in sport (not just RL, so i push back heavily against this being "RL culture") because they are known names and when they do this **** you hear about it, where as no one knows or gives a **** when Jimmy Smith down the street gets caught making dumb decisions
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: October 26, 2021, 9:35 am It's a "male aged 18 to 30 with a large amount of disposable income" culture
You see this stuff in any virtually any circumstance where you've got a young male who has more money than he knows what to do with.

It's FEELS more prevalent in sport (not just RL, so i push back heavily against this being "RL culture") because they are known names and when they do this **** you hear about it, where as no one knows or gives a **** when Jimmy Smith down the street gets caught making dumb decisions
Should also be noted that he's currently on leave and not within the Raiders system. This one is 100% on Jordy. Blaming club culture is a monumental shift of accountability.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Coastalraider wrote: October 26, 2021, 9:34 am Just because the sport has issues doesn't mean we shouldn't aim higher as a club and aim to improve.

Can anyone name another team that has had x10 odd alcohol related incident in 3 years?? Because we have.
Storm would probably go close. (Although cocaine is not alcohol).
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: October 26, 2021, 9:51 am
Botman wrote: October 26, 2021, 9:35 am It's a "male aged 18 to 30 with a large amount of disposable income" culture

Should also be noted that he's currently on leave and not within the Raiders system. This one is 100% on Jordy. Blaming club culture is a monumental shift of accountability.
Look, i dont doubt the culture at the Raiders isnt super great right now... but yeah, blaming the club or as one particular **** wishes to do, the captain because an individual makes a poor choice on his own time is absurd.

He's a grown **** man, 32 years old, veteran player, a leader of this club in his own rights... this is entirely on him.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Yeah nothing to see here at all - if we can’t talk ourselves around to agreeing that we actually have the best culture in the NRL by sundown we aren’t trying.

Maybe the breathalyser played up? Even if it didn’t the fact that all these individuals within the one club keep getting into trouble is in every case about the individuals and it would be absurd to make any broader links or even question if there is anything that could possibly be done to improve standards and culture.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: October 26, 2021, 10:23 am

Look, i dont doubt the culture at the Raiders isnt super great right now... but yeah, blaming the club or as one particular **** wishes to do, the captain because an individual makes a poor choice on his own time is absurd.

He's a grown **** man, 32 years old, veteran player, a leader of this club in his own rights... this is entirely on him.
1. When you represent an organisation, be that the police force, the public service, the military, a charity or a sporting club, you represent them 24/7 not just “in business hours”.

2. Even if you accept what he did was entirely on him and nothing to do with the club, the way the club responds will 100% determine whether it demonstrates this behaviour is not on or whether it reinforces a lax standard.

I wonder if Rapa would have made better decisions if Hors and CHN were cut loose last year. The standard you walk past is the standard you accept and the fact is we accept drink driving at the raiders. You’ll get a fine and miss a game or 3 but we accept it as a club, as supporters and as players.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The boarder links your trying to make are utterly ridiculous and simply an extension of your long running and frankly unhinged troll attempts. Our last game was on Sep 2nd and this incident occurred on the 27th... the squad had already been dismissed for their off season. Do you often blame your work place and manager for your **** ups when on annual leave?

And absolutely no one is saying the culture here is good, or that we shouldn't be looking at what can be done to improve it and to lift standards.

That's an 0-2 count, Billy. It's 3 strikes and you're out, so tread carefully.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Old School Green wrote: October 26, 2021, 8:57 am

Disagree. It’s only the Raiders that get mentioned…
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Bot - you show faux outrage about why these highly paid athletes can’t pay for an Uber but the reality is you give these guys a free pass.

As a supporter, I would like to see the club draw a line in the sand and acknowledge that Jordy has been a great servant of the club but he made a very poor decision that goes against what this club is about and what it stands for. Cutting him loose would send a very strong message about what this club accepts and what it doesn’t.

I doubt there would be a single person on here that would support my view on that. So spare the fake outrage, at the end of the day we will mumble, grumble, forgive and repeat because we are ok with that.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Billy Walker wrote: October 26, 2021, 6:29 am
Finchy wrote: October 25, 2021, 6:13 pm So how are the last 3 seasons looking for charges?

Wighton x 1
Scott x 2
Hors x 1
CHN x 1
Starling x 2
Rapana x 1

I'd be curious to know how this stacks up against your average group of about 30 20-35 year olds in terms of being charged with criminal/traffic offences. Not too well I suspect.
Why stop there? Look at the entire period that Croker has been the “leader” of this club and you bring in Carney, Fergo, Dugan, Earl, Papa the 21’s players last year - I know there are many more!

I’m ready to be shouted down and told I’m crazy for trying to link anything to Croker, but when you’re talking about culture and leadership I’d have thought some responsibility sits with the club captain?
The first four you mentioned happened before Croker was captain.

Definitely his fault, especially the Carney stuff.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:lol: I give them a free pass? OK sure, pal.

That's 3 and out. Hit the sheds, Billy
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Billy Walker wrote: October 26, 2021, 10:56 am Bot - you show faux outrage about why these highly paid athletes can’t pay for an Uber but the reality is you give these guys a free pass.

As a supporter, I would like to see the club draw a line in the sand and acknowledge that Jordy has been a great servant of the club but he made a very poor decision that goes against what this club is about and what it stands for. Cutting him loose would send a very strong message about what this club accepts and what it doesn’t.

I doubt there would be a single person on here that would support my view on that. So spare the fake outrage, at the end of the day we will mumble, grumble, forgive and repeat because we are ok with that.
Nothing Bot? Ok nothing actually says a lot.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Finchy wrote:
gangrenous wrote: October 25, 2021, 9:48 pm
Billy Walker wrote: I’ve got a theory.
It could be bunnies!
And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
Yes! I was hoping there’d be at least one person! Image
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: October 26, 2021, 11:31 am :lol: I give them a free pass? OK sure, pal.

That's 3 and out. Hit the sheds, Billy
Tbh you're the reason we're in this mess. Ashton Kutcher made a movie about it, your 87,936th post across all platforms and alts led us here.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

It's all Jarrod Crokers fault
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Schifty wrote: October 26, 2021, 11:20 am
Billy Walker wrote: October 26, 2021, 6:29 am

Wighton x 1
Scott x 2
Hors x 1
CHN x 1
Starling x 2
Rapana x 1

The first four you mentioned happened before Croker was captain.

Definitely his fault, especially the Carney stuff.
Well it's a classic troll. You make a disingenuous post then pre-play the victim card. He knows it's just gaslighting and that Croker wasn't captain then.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: October 26, 2021, 10:46 am

1. When you represent an organisation, be that the police force, the public service, the military, a charity or a sporting club, you represent them 24/7 not just “in business hours”.

2. Even if you accept what he did was entirely on him and nothing to do with the club, the way the club responds will 100% determine whether it demonstrates this behaviour is not on or whether it reinforces a lax standard.

I wonder if Rapa would have made better decisions if Hors and CHN were cut loose last year. The standard you walk past is the standard you accept and the fact is we accept drink driving at the raiders. You’ll get a fine and miss a game or 3 but we accept it as a club, as supporters and as players.
This post is sending the Bull****ometer into the red zone.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: October 26, 2021, 2:15 pm

Which bit mate?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

This thread is only 2 pages so it’s not a huge amount to read over. Have a read and tell me you don’t see the hypocrisy here. It starts off with the same faux outrage always shown when a player screws up. Calls for improved standards and culture - always the same story. But when push comes shove we are as forgiving as the NRL and the club and everyone else. And look, that’s fine. But be honest. Let’s spare the fake horror and just say it as it is. If the blokes a decent footballer or prospect then boys will be boys - all very nasty stuff but hey not on us broader society no different let’s move on.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: October 26, 2021, 2:19 pm

Which bit mate?
Just about all of it
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: October 26, 2021, 2:25 pm
Billy Walker wrote: October 26, 2021, 2:19 pm

Which bit mate?
Just about all of it
Fairly predictable answer NR and much like Bots earlier silence I think it says a lot.

Like I say, if at the end of the day we are happy giving chances, making excuses and explaining away poor behaviour then that is fine. But we should spare everyone the fake outrage and accept that nothing will change in the future because we are not making any change about how we address these things. That is fine. But let’s not kid ourselves and have a foot both sides of fence where we wring our hands and shake our heads in righteous horror when we know full well we will have moved on and forgotten before the player involved next laces a boot.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: October 26, 2021, 1:46 pm Well it's a classic troll. You make a disingenuous post then pre-play the victim card. He knows it's just gaslighting and that Croker wasn't captain then.
He's really put on a dumb **** clinic here today
He's spent half this thread blaming the club and it's captain for Rapana's drink driving and then accuses others of making excuses and explaining behaviour away. He's the only **** **** in the thread who has done it.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

I blame Crocker
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Word...
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.