All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Richo72
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Canberra Raiders won't terminate contracts of unvaccinated players

Post by Richo72 »

Botman wrote: November 26, 2021, 8:10 am
Timbo wrote: November 26, 2021, 7:52 am Can someone sit outside HQ and see which two are turning up in facemasks so we can know for sure who they are?
Sounds like a job for my future neighbour Pat.
He's big on community spirit.
:roflmao
I suspect you’ll be getting an aggressive PM soon…. :woot:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I wonder if losing up to a quarter of his salary, plus any SOO bonuses influenced his decision?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

Timbo wrote: November 26, 2021, 7:52 am Can someone sit outside HQ and see which two are turning up in facemasks so we can know for sure who they are?
or you could mind your own business and get a life :)
raider 4 life
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: November 26, 2021, 4:54 pm I wonder if losing up to a quarter of his salary, plus any SOO bonuses influenced his decision?
Also lockdowns basically shut down one of the main attractions of a city like sydney for guys like him
Richo72
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Richo72 »

The new variant may require the NRL to bring in a mandate……if it’s more contagious then it could affect the running of the comp next year.

Logic would suggest it’s better to be vaccinated than not….
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Telegraph reporting 2 of the Raiders’ holdouts (one of which is Papalii) got the jab. 2 left.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Number of unjabbed NRL players falls to single digits as showdowns loom at several clubs

The number of unvaccinated NRL players has reportedly fallen to single digits after Canberra star Josh Papalii got jabbed. The Raiders had four players holding out on receiving the vaccine but that number has been halved, according to the Daily Telegraph.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7c3439b548

Papalii vax backtrack eases pressure on NRL: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 7301d9b6fa
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Vossy said this morning NAS likely to leave the storm

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

bonehead wrote: December 6, 2021, 6:10 am Vossy said this morning NAS likely to leave the storm

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
:lol:

If I had to pick one guy in the NRL who thinks he's smarter than the medical community combined it would have been NAS.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I see the doggies have cut Asiata. They are making some good hard calls on players that either aren’t fitting in or are overpaid. Be interested to see where they finish relative to the Raiders in 2022. They are showing the way about how to undertake a refresh and culture reboot.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

Billy Walker wrote: December 7, 2021, 7:07 pm I see the doggies have cut Asiata. They are making some good hard calls on players that either aren’t fitting in or are overpaid. Be interested to see where they finish relative to the Raiders in 2022. They are showing the way about how to undertake a refresh and culture reboot.
they are buying up better players without cap space and letting go of contracted players, let's call it what it is yeah.
raider 4 life
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

nemesis wrote: December 7, 2021, 7:55 pm
Billy Walker wrote: December 7, 2021, 7:07 pm I see the doggies have cut Asiata. They are making some good hard calls on players that either aren’t fitting in or are overpaid. Be interested to see where they finish relative to the Raiders in 2022. They are showing the way about how to undertake a refresh and culture reboot.
they are buying up better players without cap space and letting go of contracted players, let's call it what it is yeah.
That are moving the dial in the right direction. Making good calls, not tolerating the predicament Asiata’s put them in - they will trend up sharply in 2022.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

The old buy a premiership tactic...It's a bold tactic let's see if it pays off. It doesn't always that's for sure
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Canberra Raiders won't terminate contracts of unvaccinated players

Post by Brew »

Raiders666 wrote:The old buy a premiership tactic...It's a bold tactic let's see if it pays off. It doesn't always that's for sure
I’m tipping they will get closer then we ever will in the next 5 years.

$1.5 million invested in Hodgo and Croker lol and Whitehead…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: December 7, 2021, 8:18 pm
nemesis wrote: December 7, 2021, 7:55 pm
That are moving the dial in the right direction. Making good calls, not tolerating the predicament Asiata’s put them in - they will trend up sharply in 2022.
Given the currnet position of their dial I guess it can only move in one direction.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Brew wrote: December 8, 2021, 8:14 am
Raiders666 wrote:The old buy a premiership tactic...It's a bold tactic let's see if it pays off. It doesn't always that's for sure

I'd say you are probably right...Unfortunately Canberra doesn't have and never will have the same pull as Sydney based Phil Gould run club. It's just the way it is
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Brew wrote: December 8, 2021, 8:14 am

Also 2 of those problems are about to expire..I still think the Dogs have a halves problem and I can't see them winning the comp. The jury is still out on Burton imo..I want to see how he goes without Cleary and how he handles being the top dog
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I love how Dogs cutting Asiata before he's even played a game is presented as some kind of effective roster management.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sydney clubs like the bulldogs have been doing this for years, will it work this time?
Maybe.
But it's not a model i'd like to follow... they just lurch from spending spree to the next, with periods of utter disgraceful football in between as the "new regime" has to iron out the cap so they can go on their spending spree
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Yeah i shudder to think of the structure of some of these contracts. On paper they've signed a strong bunch of players, but who knows how they'll gell. This could either go well, or could end up distarously bad. I look forward to seeing the outcome.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

BJ123
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Chicka

Post by BJ123 »

Raider Azz wrote:Yeah i shudder to think of the structure of some of these contracts. On paper they've signed a strong bunch of players, but who knows how they'll gell. This could either go well, or could end up distarously bad. I look forward to seeing the outcome.

There was similar positive talk about the bulldogs when they signed Napa, CHN, Lichia etc.

But I do think they’ve signed much better players of late. Their squad will be a mix of top heavy contracts and minimum wagers.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BJ123 wrote: December 8, 2021, 12:52 pm
Raider Azz wrote:Yeah i shudder to think of the structure of some of these contracts. On paper they've signed a strong bunch of players, but who knows how they'll gell. This could either go well, or could end up distarously bad. I look forward to seeing the outcome.

There was similar positive talk about the bulldogs when they signed Napa, CHN, Lichia etc.

But I do think they’ve signed much better players of late. Their squad will be a mix of top heavy contracts and minimum wagers.
And in 5 years from now what are the odds a new bulldogs regime building another strong squad with high prized signings after the mistakes of the TPJ, Kikau, Mahoney, Burton etc?
I reckon those higher than most give it credit for
BJ123
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Chicka

Post by BJ123 »

Agree Bot. There’s some risky players in that list.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: December 8, 2021, 2:49 pm
BJ123 wrote: December 8, 2021, 12:52 pm

And in 5 years from now what are the odds a new bulldogs regime building another strong squad with high prized signings after the mistakes of the TPJ, Kikau, Mahoney, Burton etc?
I reckon those higher than most give it credit for
Addo-Carr too. Word was they have signed him to be fullback so could end up another high priced winger. Not sure how that will pan out with Dufty on the list for 2022 as well.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

If something isn’t working you don’t double down on it. The doggies had a horror 2021 and have changed it up in a big way! We missed the 8 in 2021 and have made some changes to the roster. I think it would be fair to question whether we have done enough. I don’t think the doggies are top 4 material but I wouldn’t bet my house against them finishing higher than us in 2022.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

I think Burton's best form has been playing centre.. The jury is still out on him. Also who is their halfback?
Last edited by Raiders666 on December 8, 2021, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Raiders666 wrote: December 8, 2021, 4:09 pm I think Burton's best form has been playing centre.. The jury us still out on him. Also who is their halfback?
I thought they signed Burton to play 7
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Brandon Wakeham most likely. Jake Averillo maybe if he impresses. Burton will play 6. Given all the moves they've made it's a massive hole to not even have an average 7.
There was mention of Brooks going there at one stage, which would have been a good move.
They've spent bank and their biggest issues are 7 and 9.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

zim wrote:Brandon Wakeham most likely. Jake Averillo maybe if he impresses. Burton will play 6. Given all the moves they've made it's a massive hole to not even have an average 7.
There was mention of Brooks going there at one stage, which would have been a good move.
Averillo looked more threatening in the halves last season. Marshall-King scored really well in nrl fantasy in 2020 but last season he was out most of the year with injury. Their big issue was their entire forward pack. RFM was their impact player and he was injured. Thompson carried the team in many games but one player can only do so much.
Their pack hasn't changed too much and their coach isn't that good. I don't think they'll improve much at all.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

gergreg wrote: December 8, 2021, 6:59 pm
zim wrote:Brandon Wakeham most likely. Jake Averillo maybe if he impresses. Burton will play 6. Given all the moves they've made it's a massive hole to not even have an average 7.
Averillo looked more threatening in the halves last season. Marshall-King scored really well in nrl fantasy in 2020 but last season he was out most of the year with injury. Their big issue was their entire forward pack. RFM was their impact player and he was injured. Thompson carried the team in many games but one player can only do so much.
Their pack hasn't changed too much and their coach isn't that good. I don't think they'll improve much at all.
I was more impressed by Averillo as well. For some reason T Baz has been favouring Wakeham.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

They really need some experience in the number 7 I reckon
Guy Incognito
Jason Croker

Post by Guy Incognito »

The ABC Canberra Facebook page is reporting a member of staff has tested positive to covid. All players and staff have been told to get tested and isolate.

CrabLord
Noa Nadruku

Post by CrabLord »

I think we are about to see the effects of what can go wrong in regards to unvaccinated players not just here but globally.

In the NFL 37 positive cases Monday, coming into playoff push time for many teams. Unvaccinated means a mandatory sit out for minimum 2 weeks, not once you test negative. Imagine missing out on SoO, missing the last game of the regular season pushing for 7th-8th spot, or even a prelim next season because you didn't get the jab. You'd like to think as awful as a Covid case in the squad is, that it could serve as the wake up call needed to get everyone on the same page, vaccinated. The best ability is availability.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: Raiders squad put into isolation after football staff member tests positive to COVID

Post by Finchy »

I’d say the way preseason is going, the competition next season is massively screwed. They’re going to have to do a bubble again, otherwise games will be cancelled every week with teams isolating for weeks at a time every time a case pops up. Clearly vaccines aren’t the silver bullet here from stopping the spread and infection, just hospitalisation and serious symptoms
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Raiders squad put into isolation after football staff member tests positive to COVID

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders set for early Christmas break after football staff member tests positive for COVID-19

Raiders players are awaiting COVID test results after being deemed close contacts to a staff member in the club's football department who tested positive to the virus this week. The COVID positive looks set to shut down pre-season training until the New Year, after the majority of players and coaching staff were forced into lockdown until midnight on Monday - a day before the final scheduled training session of 2021. The first batch of the players' tests have come back negative.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders club statement: COVID-19

The Canberra Raiders can confirm a member of the club’s football staff has tested positive for COVID-19. As a result, all players and football staff have been directed to undertake a COVID test and isolate. The club is following NRL protocols and is awaiting further direction from ACT Health. The club will provide any further updates once this process has been finalised.

Canberra Raiders media