Canberra Raiders' Joe Tapine still considering COVID vaccine options

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

nemesis
Brett Mullins

Re: Furner predicts 2022 will be toughest season of pandemic yet

Post by nemesis »

cat wrote: January 12, 2022, 9:36 am
greeneyed wrote: January 12, 2022, 7:21 am Jack Wighton’s Instagram suggesting Corey Horsburgh has had COVID, his own Instagram indicating he was in isolation with Matt Timoko.

Looks like the Raiders have had more than the two cases confirmed by the club.
I think thats the players and club's private business and we dont need to know

Every club in the nrl, every work place has had multiple cases of covid , its not unusual nor does it matter
100%, people are just so nosey and in a need to know everyone elses business for some reason, i bet they wouldn't want the world know when they are sick or all their private information or personal issues.
raider 4 life
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

nemesis wrote:
greeneyed wrote: January 12, 2022, 7:21 am Jack Wighton’s Instagram suggesting Corey Horsburgh has had COVID, his own Instagram indicating he was in isolation with Matt Timoko.

Every club in the nrl, every work place has had multiple cases of covid , its not unusual nor does it matter
100%, people are just so nosey and in a need to know everyone elses business for some reason, i bet they wouldn't want the world know when they are sick or all their private information or personal issues.
The media are reporting when most high profile people are testing positive.

There have been multiple reports about NRL, BBL and all manner of other sports both here and overseas when players test positive.

There are privacy settings for a reason and put simply if it is their private business then why put it on socials.

Also of a player misses one or more games this season without their being a reason given would you still at the same?

It's just a covid positive update it's not really that sensitive.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

nemesis wrote: January 12, 2022, 9:50 am

EXCEPT that the club said it would be transparent. Not telling us the ACTUAL number of positive cases they have had (the only thing Ive seen/heard is 2, and it seems its more like 4+), AND, whom isn't mentioned, isn't very transparent.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Where has the club said it will be transparent?
And they did tell how many cases in the original outbreak

If , and its most likely there are other cases there now then they are not linked to the original outbreak and are not anyone's business who they are.

Seriously we dont need to know, are not entitled to know and its actually against the public health orders and privacy act for them to tell us about individuals health situation
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

100%green wrote: January 12, 2022, 10:17 am
nemesis wrote:

There have been multiple reports about NRL, BBL and all manner of other sports both here and overseas when players test positive.

There are privacy settings for a reason and put simply if it is their private business then why put it on socials.

Also of a player misses one or more games this season without their being a reason given would you still at the same?

The media/clubs are reporting when there are cases that effect current games
Players themselves can chose to say it or not such as the case with nick in the tennis.

Its the preseason , players could be missing training for a whole range of things

I think its highly disrespectful and shows are high level of self entitlement to expect to be told of cases at the club during pre season

There is no impact on any of us who has/had covid and who hasnt

Come on guys, lets respect the players a bit more
Vaccinated
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

cat wrote: January 12, 2022, 12:14 pm
nemesis wrote:

Players themselves can chose to say it or not such as the case with nick in the tennis.

Its the preseason , players could be missing training for a whole range of things

I think its highly disrespectful and shows are high level of self entitlement to expect to be told of cases at the club during pre season

NRL players and respect isnt something that goes together too good.
The minority of clowns is increasing, be it the advent of social media or whatever, its truly terrible how often incidents are happening
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It’s in the public domain that Ryan Sutton was one of the two players who tested positive to COVID and now we know Corey Horsburgh has been in isolation. The players have published the information themselves via their social media accounts. There’s no disrespect to anyone. There’s nothing but care and concern for the players affected.

It’s quite reasonable that clubs advise of the situation on COVID in general terms. The three Queensland clubs, the Panthers and Roosters have all done so recently. A number of formal club statements have been issued. The Raiders indicated in mid December they’d provide updates. It’s exactly the same as providing injury updates, which is done regularly in both the season and off season. Sadly, contracting the virus has an impact on the players’ health, in some cases that may last for some time. It will impact preseason preparations, during the season it may well affect the availability of players for games. It’s become quite standard in sports all round the world that this information becomes public in relation to individual players who miss games… like any injury or illness. No doubt, if a player doesn’t wish that information on their health to become public, the clubs won’t release it. But it’s pretty much going to become standard, as it has in other world sports.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

So GE you want daily number updates like the states do?
Do you want Don and Ricky to come out with a daily press conference as well?

How about the club doc give his "shout out" like Dr Coleman does?

News flash!! Its the pre season, they dont know how it will impact the team once the season starts. And if you think clubs , and I mean all clubs , announce every pre season injury I can tell you they don't

A hand full of clubs have mentioned when asked by the media, that they have cases. I can tell you ALL clubs have cases right now but we dont need to know!

God you guys are a bunch of Mrs Mangles
Vaccinated
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

cat wrote:
nemesis wrote:

If your referring to the BBL for example ok, but there are no current games for the NRL yet clubs release info so not sure what you mean by that.

Yes players can choose hence why I said they can make their accounts private and not post private information on the internet!!!

Yes it's the pre season but doesn't stop a heap of other reports year in year out from clubs and the media so not sure what difference this has.

Not sure how you get there, self entitlement??? No impact? Ok so if you were to bump into a player from any club out in the public and go up to say hi for example would you want to know if you were a contact? I'm sure they aren't taking down everyone's details to let them know. That's only one aspect. Truth is we still don't know who will get affected and how. So this is no different to a player getting a niggle at training and their being a report on that.

Speaking of self entitlement, it comes off that way when you lecture about people not respecting the players more. You have no idea who does or doesn't on here.

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Comments from Rapa are pretty disappointing. These guys act as if coming up with a 100% effective vaccine in the heat of a pandemic is as easy as dotting one down in the corner at Bruce. I guess when you get paid multiples of what the scientists developing these vaccines do it completely skews your judgement.

NRL and RLPA meet to revise Covid-19 protocols imposed on playing groups

The NRL and Rugby League Players’ Association have met to discuss revised Covid-19 protocols amid a growing angst in the playing ranks ahead of the 2022 season.

It also comes as Canberra players Jordan Rapana and Jack Wighton have taken to social media in the past week to question the tighter restrictions imposed on players.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... ffe2af6d0a

https://www.zerotackle.com/trying-to-st ... rs-113041/
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

100% Green, some clubs have mentioned they have cases when asked by the media since January, no club has been putting out club statements in regards covid cases since Newcastle and ourselves did in December

Also no clubs do not report every injury, during pre season or even during the season

In regards to needing to know if a player has covid if you saw them and say hi in the street. You would not be a close contact and therefore no you don't need to know

At the end of the day we dont need to know and shouldn't be having a go at the club for not telling us

We dont own the players or the club
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

As a queenslander you must be proud

And I can guarantee there have been other's at the club since then

Where are the other clubs? Yep not bothering because the fans dont need to know
Vaccinated
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:Comments from Rapa are pretty disappointing. These guys act as if coming up with a 100% effective vaccine in the heat of a pandemic is as easy as dotting one down in the corner at Bruce. I guess when you get paid multiples of what the scientists developing these vaccines do it completely skews your judgement.
Hear hear
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:Comments from Rapa are pretty disappointing. These guys act as if coming up with a 100% effective vaccine in the heat of a pandemic is as easy as dotting one down in the corner at Bruce. I guess when you get paid multiples of what the scientists developing these vaccines do it completely skews your judgement.
Agreed.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

cat wrote:
As a queenslander you must be proud

And I can guarantee there have been other's at the club since then

Where are the other clubs? Yep not bothering because the fans dont need to know
You can literally Google [NRL Club] Covid media statement and you’ll find them if you really want. I did that and saw the same thing for Panthers and Roosters.

Go nuts.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

cat wrote:100% Green, some clubs have mentioned they have cases when asked by the media since January, no club has been putting out club statements in regards covid cases since Newcastle and ourselves did in December

Also no clubs do not report every injury, during pre season or even during the season

In regards to needing to know if a player has covid if you saw them and say hi in the street. You would not be a close contact and therefore no you don't need to know

At the end of the day we dont need to know and shouldn't be having a go at the club for not telling us

We dont own the players or the club
You seem to have an attitude that everyone one on here should think the way you do.

I never once had a go at the club or the players so you might want to pull your head in there.

OK yes if you happened to bump into a player you would not be a close contact so that was a bad comparison.

Aside from the close contact comparison you seem to think people are trying to own the players or the club by wanting information. Pre Season or not.

Sport is a business, be it now or during the season of a player is out with an injury or covid it will and does affect more than just a fan watching a game.

People take things such as super coach and betting on games seriously and the game wants the revenue from those two just as a small example.

So yes if a player gets a positive result it can be big news.

And yes I do think the player and the club do deserve privacy and for their privacy to be respected.

However my original point to all this is if the player wants this kept private it shouldn't be on social media or they should either keep the accounts private or not be on there at all. For you to have a go at someone for talking about it in here when it's going to be public knowledge given its on socials is a bit much.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: January 12, 2022, 1:47 pm So GE you want daily number updates like the states do?
Do you want Don and Ricky to come out with a daily press conference as well?

How about the club doc give his "shout out" like Dr Coleman does?

News flash!! Its the pre season, they dont know how it will impact the team once the season starts. And if you think clubs , and I mean all clubs , announce every pre season injury I can tell you they don't

A hand full of clubs have mentioned when asked by the media, that they have cases. I can tell you ALL clubs have cases right now but we dont need to know!

God you guys are a bunch of Mrs Mangles
You’ve had some very odd takes on various aspects of this issue Cat. I can’t agree with you on this one Cat.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

The NHL used to not share names, but now they do.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star Jamal Fogarty back in action after recovering from COVID-19

Jamal Fogarty simply thought he had a sinus infection, but he had fallen victim to the Green Machine's pre-Christmas COVID invasion. Fogarty considers himself one of the lucky ones.

"I only had a bit of a snuffly runny nose for two days, and that's all I got. I was talking to the physios here and they said they were waking up in the middle of the night with a pool of sweat in their bed and had to change their sheets.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... -covid-19/
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I believe that clubs should name the players who have been infected. I think keeping that information confidential suggests they in some how need to protect the players from negative commentary.

Any person, NRL player or other who contracts covid is a victim. They have not done anything wrong, no one should think worse of them, they like millions of other people around the world have contracted a virus.

There were over 130k cases in Australia today. A very high proportion, a disproportionate number compared to the population, were people in their 20s. NRL players are also being tested more frequently than the average citizen.

It stands to reason that many players are going to be infected. It doesn’t mean any of them have done anything wrong.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: Jamal Fogarty back in action after recovering from COVID

Post by gangrenous »

What’s the value in naming those infected?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: January 15, 2022, 6:03 am What’s the value in naming those infected?
How much connection do you want between the club the players and the people that fork out their hard earned cash to support them? Why not extend your view and give totally privacy the players? Don’t release details on any injury, misdemeanour or other happenings. It’s not anyones business if they get married, have a child or lose a loved one. For goodness sake it would just be rude to ask their ages.

That approach will bring the fans back hey?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m here to watch football, not meddle in their personal lives. Perhaps New Idea would be more to your liking?

By all means if the players want to share news and have fans celebrate/commiserate in it, knock yourselves out. The club sharing injury news relevant to players getting back on the field, makes sense.

Who has and hasn’t had COVID in the off-season? Not seeing the relevance and if players want to keep it quiet they should be able to.

About the only time I think they’d forfeit privacy would be if they were negligent and it caused an outbreak for the team.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

The camberra cough should be listed and date they return to field/training. As a stake holder, I want to know.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: January 15, 2022, 8:15 am I’m here to watch football, not meddle in their personal lives. Perhaps New Idea would be more to your liking?

By all means if the players want to share news and have fans celebrate/commiserate in it, knock yourselves out. The club sharing injury news relevant to players getting back on the field, makes sense.

Who has and hasn’t had COVID in the off-season? Not seeing the relevance and if players want to keep it quiet they should be able to.

About the only time I think they’d forfeit privacy would be if they were negligent and it caused an outbreak for the team.
Explain to me how reporting of Fogarty’s covid case in any way differs to reporting around Croker’s knee surgery. Both are of interest to supporters as both are disruptive to season preparations and both have potential to have lingering impacts on player performance. Neither are shameful or taboo conditions - we aren’t talking herpes or genital warts here. Odd take Gangers - odd take!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m not wringing my hands at the reporting. I’m just saying the attitude of some fans of “I pay money so I have a right to know everything that’s happening in the middle of January as it happens” is over the top for mine.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote:Has anyone heard if the NRL will require players to be Covid tested prior to playing on game day?
They are required to have a RAT every day before they go to training and that will no doubt apply on game day.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: January 15, 2022, 12:39 pm
RedRaider wrote:Has anyone heard if the NRL will require players to be Covid tested prior to playing on game day?
They are required to have a RAT every day before they go to training and that will no doubt apply on game day.
I’m actually surprised it took so long to adapt this process, I know of another team in another code that had daily rat requirements from September last year, prior to omicron. To be fair, during this wave it hasn’t done anything to stop the spread within that workplace, but knowing exactly what day you went positive means they can return to work/training/playing asap. So good policy.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

we get tested every day pre-shift for exactly that reason

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Fudge the rat if your best goes positive before GF? Ive got the same rat with a texta line on the positive, moved around in 5 different positions around the house, for a week off paid via the government albeit 750, use it to your advantage.

This place is woke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Question wrote: January 15, 2022, 4:21 pm Fudge the rat if your best goes positive before GF? Ive got the same rat with a texta line on the positive, moved around in 5 different positions around the house, for a week off paid via the government albeit 750, use it to your advantage.

Surely if anyones test goes positive they become responsible for setting up the opposition change rooms.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

For sure.

This place is woke.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think it's fairly reasonable for fans to want to know when players have COVID issues for clubs to report that, as it is that they'd want to know when a player has an ACL, or any other health related matter.

They're professional sports people, the toothpaste for medical privacy was pushed out of the tube a VERY, VERY long time ago.
There is no value in naming them, so I also dont care if they dont.
But there is also no value in no naming them, so if there is nothing to be gained or loss, why not just be transparent and open?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A month ago, the club told us they’d update us, and they haven’t. We now know there are developments that they haven’t updated us on. They’re going to have to make it clear in season, if a player can’t play. In the off season, every club’s fans at least deserve to know how extensive the issues are with injury (there seems to be no problem giving injury reports for individuals) and sickness. Clearly, they can affect preparations for the season. I don’t see why the Raiders aren’t being transparent with their “members” and supporters. There’s also the question as to why the NRL isn’t doing it.