Canberra Raiders' Joe Tapine still considering COVID vaccine options

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Raiders squad put into isolation after football staff member tests positive to COVID

Post by Northern Raider »

So do they resume training earlier too?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Raiders squad put into isolation after football staff member tests positive to COVID

Post by Seiffert82 »

Finchy wrote:I’d say the way preseason is going, the competition next season is massively screwed. They’re going to have to do a bubble again, otherwise games will be cancelled every week with teams isolating for weeks at a time every time a case pops up. Clearly vaccines aren’t the silver bullet here from stopping the spread and infection, just hospitalisation and serious symptoms
Yeah, it doesn't seem to be sustainable, especially given the way politics gets involved and borders close at the drop of a hat.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Seiffert82 wrote: December 16, 2021, 3:07 pm
Finchy wrote:I’d say the way preseason is going, the competition next season is massively screwed. They’re going to have to do a bubble again, otherwise games will be cancelled every week with teams isolating for weeks at a time every time a case pops up. Clearly vaccines aren’t the silver bullet here from stopping the spread and infection, just hospitalisation and serious symptoms
Yeah, it doesn't seem to be sustainable, especially given the way politics gets involved and borders close at the drop of a hat.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
A League is in the middle of it now. Last week a Sydney fc player tested positive on Monday, all other Players tested negative (and were vaxxed) and played both on Wednesday and Sunday. Only 1 player missed that weeks games. Jets now have multiple from the Newcastle nightclub cluster (surprise surprise) so we will see how it’s dealt with. A league players and staff having daily rapid tests, so it can be snuffed out quick.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Raiders squad put into isolation after football staff members test positive to COVID

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders confirm another COVID-19 case

The Canberra Raiders have today confirmed a second COVID-19 case, a football staff member, at the club following Monday’s initial infection.

Read more: https://canberraweekly.com.au/canberra- ... d-19-case/

Canberra Raiders club statement

The Canberra Raiders can provide an update on the club's COVID-19 situation following a positive case involving a football staff member on Monday.

Following the initial case on Monday, all players and football staff have undergone tests based on direction from NRL Protocols and ACT Health. Following these tests, one additional football staff member has tested positive for COVID-19. All players and football staff will remain in isolation and follow ACT Health requirements. The club will provide any further updates if required.

Canberra Raiders media
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Raiders squad put into isolation after football staff members test positive to COVID

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart cancels the rest of pre season training prior to Christmas

Ricky Stuart has halted preseason training until the previously scheduled New Year return date of January 5, after a second staff member tested positive to COVID. One option was to train up until Christmas Eve and return later in the new year, but Stuart chose to give the players an early Christmas break, The Canberra Times reports.

"We thought that it was unfair for the players that had already planned to go away and be with families over Christmas, we felt that was more important than training," Stuart said. "We just asked them to make sure that they commit to their work over the period that they're away."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Club statement: viewtopic.php?p=1842352#p1842352
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Not ideal.

Disrupted preseason for whatever reason puts us behind.

Season over.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Committing to training over Christmas means peeling prawns, shucking oysters and putting uncle to bed.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hi all… I’ve removed a number of posts tonight as this board is about the Raiders and the footy. There is a thread on COVID in the current affairs board for more general posts, debates and arguments. I’ve mentioned this quite a few times in this thread… so grateful if we could keep it on topic.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Two Canberra Raiders players test positive to COVID

Post by greeneyed »

Two Canberra Raiders players have tested positive to COVID-19 as the virus strikes the NRL club's playing ranks

Two members of the Raiders' top 30 playing squad have contracted the virus, becoming at least the third and fourth cases attached to the club. Raiders officials were seeking results to further testing among their playing group and football staff this week. The names of the players have not been reported upon.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

https://the-riotact.com/raiders-confirm ... -19/523161
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Two Canberra Raiders players test positive to COVID

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I wonder if these 2 have been vaccinated
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: December 21, 2021, 2:47 pm I wonder if these 2 have been vaccinated
Why?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Two Canberra Raiders players test positive to COVID

Post by Elcaptcroker »

EDIT whitehead, ad he put up a inatagram story about him no longer going nack to england for christmas

But that also might ne because pther people had it so he couldnt go too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

So even when have a positive off-season story it’s not a good thing…..
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The players who were going to England for Christmas aren’t going to be able to get on flights if they’re still in isolation. Best not to speculate on names… if the club wants to release them, they will.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

It’s sad that this will likely result in some players unable to attend Peter Mulholand’s funeral
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Billy Walker wrote: December 21, 2021, 4:30 pm It’s sad that this will likely result in some players unable to attend Peter Mulholand’s funeral
Depends when the funeral is on and where.
Considering how big a funeral I would think it would be they may wait till the new year
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: December 21, 2021, 4:32 pm
Billy Walker wrote: December 21, 2021, 4:30 pm It’s sad that this will likely result in some players unable to attend Peter Mulholand’s funeral
Considering how big a funeral I would think it would be they may wait till the new year
Funeral this week and some players unlikely able to attend https://the-riotact.com/raiders-confirm ... -19/523161
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: December 21, 2021, 3:56 pm Just to be clear, the players who were going to England for Christmas aren’t going to be able to get on flights if they’re still in isolation. Best not to speculate on names… if the club wants to release them, they will.
England also has changed its entry requirements and the players may have chosen not to go home due to this

I think any speculation on who the players are or why players are doing things at this time are inappropriate
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Billy Walker wrote: December 21, 2021, 4:33 pm
cat wrote: December 21, 2021, 4:32 pm
Funeral this week and some players unlikely able to attend https://the-riotact.com/raiders-confirm ... -19/523161
In these times funerals are often zoomed so at least they can join

On a positive note they wont be able to go up to Sydney and get into trouble watching bj fight tomorrow :clap:
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I’ll respect GEs request not to speculate about names, but will say there is a certain winger in the squad that would be extremely unlucky if he is one of the two given that it would be near the first thing he’s actually caught all year…..
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Billy Walker wrote:I’ll respect GEs request not to speculate about names, but will say there is a certain winger in the squad that would be extremely unlucky if he is one of the two given that it would be near the first thing he’s actually caught all year…..
"I'll respect the request not to speculate and then I'll immediately go on to speculate"

Clown

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

DT reporting both players are vaccinated but the staff member was unvaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders players test positive for Covid

Two Canberra Raiders players and one staff member will be isolated for Christmas after testing positive to Covid 19. Coach Ricky Stuart would not reveal who the players were but confirmed both players are vaccinated. The staff member is unvaccinated. The rest of the Raiders squad are due out of isolation on Wednesday night but Stuart said the infected players won’t be allowed to move outside their homes until after Christmas.

Stuart said the players were feeling “ok” as they went through the recovery process.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 01690149ae

https://www.foxsports.com.au/news/multi ... 86e24678e6
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Raider Azz wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:I’ll respect GEs request not to speculate about names, but will say there is a certain winger in the squad that would be extremely unlucky if he is one of the two given that it would be near the first thing he’s actually caught all year…..
"I'll respect the request not to speculate and then I'll immediately go on to speculate"

Clown

It was a joke mate.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

gangrenous wrote:
Raider Azz wrote:

Clown

It was a joke mate.
Jokes are meant to be funny

GreenGirl
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by GreenGirl »

Billy Walker wrote: December 21, 2021, 4:38 pm I’ll respect GEs request not to speculate about names, but will say there is a certain winger in the squad that would be extremely unlucky if he is one of the two given that it would be near the first thing he’s actually caught all year…..
Could also be a chance that someone successfully passes something on this year as well for the first time
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Seriously who is the staff member though? Astounded given the stakes that they would let any staff member who was unvaccinated near the playing group.
Such irresponsible behaviour seriously. If old mate doesn’t want to get vaccinated good luck to him….but see you later. Where are the stones from Don here to make a wise call and not allow unvaccinated folk to work amongst the group. Disappointing and reckless.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Old School Green wrote: December 21, 2021, 10:49 pm Seriously who is the staff member though? Astounded given the stakes that they would let any staff member who was unvaccinated near the playing group.
Such irresponsible behaviour seriously. If old mate doesn’t want to get vaccinated good luck to him….but see you later. Where are the stones from Don here to make a wise call and not allow unvaccinated folk to work amongst the group. Disappointing and reckless.
Its the daily telegraph, not convinced the staff member is unvaxxed
Vaccinated
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote: December 21, 2021, 4:38 pm I’ll respect GEs request not to speculate about names, but will say there is a certain winger in the squad that would be extremely unlucky if he is one of the two given that it would be near the first thing he’s actually caught all year…..
:roflmao
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

GreenGirl wrote: December 21, 2021, 10:12 pm
Could also be a chance that someone successfully passes something on this year as well for the first time
Haha - you’re terrible Muriel! The only person in the world with Covid not required to isolate on the basis that over a long NRL career he’s proven he doesn’t pass things on.

I hope all concerned are well, sometimes all you can do is laugh.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Staying on topic and looking at this through a Raiders impact lens, are there any examples of these international sports people who have had covid having any long term physical impacts? I’m thinking Dokic, Tyson Fury and others, they all seem to get through it without any long term issues. Not great it’s getting around but am I right to say it’s unlikely an 80 minute player will end up a 50 minute bench player after this.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

julian87 wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: December 21, 2021, 2:47 pm I wonder if these 2 have been vaccinated
Why?
Mainly because it would have reignited the discussions previously on here around the number of unvaccinated players we have.

Was worried about the “Welp, told you so” style posts.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I know for certain who one of the infected players is....not that it matters. As far as I know, he was vaccinated too.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Billy Walker wrote: December 22, 2021, 9:48 am Staying on topic and looking at this through a Raiders impact lens, are there any examples of these international sports people who have had covid having any long term physical impacts? I’m thinking Dokic, Tyson Fury and others, they all seem to get through it without any long term issues. Not great it’s getting around but am I right to say it’s unlikely an 80 minute player will end up a 50 minute bench player after this.
Former Boston Redsox Starting Pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez was ruled out of the 2020 MLB season after developing Myocarditis from his Covid 19 infection so there is a small risk, although his diagnosis was pre vaccination.

https://www.espn.com.au/mlb/story/_/id/ ... yocarditis
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Green Blogger wrote: December 22, 2021, 1:22 pm
Billy Walker wrote: December 22, 2021, 9:48 am Staying on topic and looking at this through a Raiders impact lens, are there any examples of these international sports people who have had covid having any long term physical impacts? I’m thinking Dokic, Tyson Fury and others, they all seem to get through it without any long term issues. Not great it’s getting around but am I right to say it’s unlikely an 80 minute player will end up a 50 minute bench player after this.
Former Boston Redsox Starting Pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez was ruled out of the 2020 MLB season after developing Myocarditis from his Covid 19 infection so there is a small risk, although his diagnosis was pre vaccination.

https://www.espn.com.au/mlb/story/_/id/ ... yocarditis
That’s no good for Eduardo but I think you’re right describing it as a small risk in general. It will be interesting to see how Raiders, NRL and sports in general manage this in 2022. I don’t expect we will see a stop start disrupted season and while I think the raiders have done the right thing here postponing training till post Christmas I do think in the new year we will see a situation where players with covid are stood aside to recover the same as players with tonsillitis or boils while the rest of the squad/comp marches on.