Canberra Raiders' Joe Tapine still considering COVID vaccine options

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Re: Two Canberra Raiders players test positive to COVID

Post by Postman Pat »

GreenMachine wrote:I know for certain who one of the infected players is....not that it matters. As far as I know, he was vaccinated too.
The Green Machine Podcast named one today, I’m sure if I can use them to name a player on here so I won’t but for anyone else have a listen and you’ll find out one.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

it is interesting now that the NFL has had to move a few games from Sunday to Tuesday this week due to significant number of players and coaches testing positive. Washington had something like 26 of it 53 man roster on the covid list (plus 7 coaches). However they are are able to test out within a few days now and return to the squad. They are now also allowed to play while still having Covid provided their viral loads are low. Can't see the Governments allowing NRL players to play while still infected with covid.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

kona_dream wrote: December 22, 2021, 6:57 pm it is interesting now that the NFL has had to move a few games from Sunday to Tuesday this week due to significant number of players and coaches testing positive. Washington had something like 26 of it 53 man roster on the covid list (plus 7 coaches). However they are are able to test out within a few days now and return to the squad. They are now also allowed to play while still having Covid provided their viral loads are low. Can't see the Governments allowing NRL players to play while still infected with covid.
That’s interesting and I have to admit a bit reassuring to hear that. I’m not so sure we won’t arrive at the same place with the NRL but we might just wisely take a bit of time walking a careful path to get there.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart reveals his Covid contingency plan for NRL

The NRL will consider allowing all contracted players on each clubs’ books - including NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg players - to be eligible to play NRL at any point next season. The idea has been put directly to Peter V’landys by Ricky Stuart to deal with COVID outbreaks.

“People smarter than me are looking after this but what I told Peter is that we have got to have our rookies, our trial trainers, we have got to have them all ready to go,” Stuart said. “We have to train these blokes as if they are going to be playing first grade at some stage this year because there is going to be disruptions, but we can’t ruin the product.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 0b521370b2

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d27cb9eade
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

It's a good plan.
Hopw we don't have to use it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wighton, other NRL stars annoyed by new COVID restrictions

Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton is one of several NRL players that have queried the tight restrictions imposed as COVID-19 cases hit clubs on the eve of their return to pre-season training. Brisbane on Tuesday confirmed four players had COVID-19, while Canterbury are also managing positive cases ahead of the team’s return to the paddock on Thursday.

Wighton along with fellow NSW Origin players Latrell Mitchell, Josh Addo-Carr and Jarome Luai all expressed their dissatisfaction on Instagram.

Read more: https://canberraweekly.com.au/wighton-o ... trictions/
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I agree with Jake
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I don’t think it’s smart commentary from Jack. A lot of people in other countries around the world would be very grateful for the “stupid vax” for better reasons than avoiding inconvenience to play a sport. He would do well to bite his tongue on this one.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

A stupid comment from Jack - the idea of getting the vaccine is to reduce the risk of getting sick, not just to allow entrance to the pub.

But the players are right that these measures are insane. They´re irrational from a health perspective, and will inevitably lead to an off season full of ´player X spotted with three people visiting their house!´ stories. I´m fine with regular testing and related isolation requirements, everything else is straight nonsense.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

twistedbydesign wrote: January 5, 2022, 1:24 am A stupid comment from Jack - the idea of getting the vaccine is to reduce the risk of getting sick, not just to allow entrance to the pub.

But the players are right that these measures are insane. They´re irrational from a health perspective, and will inevitably lead to an off season full of ´player X spotted with three people visiting their house!´ stories. I´m fine with regular testing and related isolation requirements, everything else is straight nonsense.
I suggest every organisation needs to be seen to be doing the right thing at this present time, but if the experts are correct about this wave passing as quickly as it arrived it will likely be a different world with adjusted rules by season start or soon after.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

twistedbydesign wrote: January 5, 2022, 1:24 am A stupid comment from Jack - the idea of getting the vaccine is to reduce the risk of getting sick, not just to allow entrance to the pub.

I'm a bit torn on this one. Yep things can go awry but really the contingent of NRL players are some of the healthiest in the country. Vaccination for them was very much enforced.

They've spent months and months under restrictions and in bubbles to provide entertainment for the public. I can see why they'd be entirely over it.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Ah yes they do it for the entertainment of the public. Out of the goodness of their hearts alone.

It’s certainly not because *checks notes* Jack gets paid.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

The rest of the sporting world has adopted the,
INJURY
SUSPENSION
COVID ISO
reality. Why can't we wrap our heads around it here in Australia (which is why Rickys depth suggestion RE COVID is actually a good 1)?

All we hear ATM is:
"...we have to live with COVID".
"...vaxx rates are high, so we as best protected as we can."
"...with boosters being rolled out, young people jabs being rolled out... blah blah blah".

The talk is correct, the action/reaction is not. I mean here in Canberra we are being advised to work from home where possible again (and I expect it to revert back to stay away/ split shift/ etc mandates for the public service very soon). I mean, how is that living with COVID?

I'm guessing that until COVID stops being classified as a pandemic, and reverts to epidemic (like Cold/Flu... note i said like, not same as), this wont change, BUT, I very much get the sentiment of the complaints.

Unlike some of the players, I understand that a vaxx isn't a cure though, it's just a protective measure. So, you still have to be sensible; I mean if a family member has gastro for instance, you are careful about cleaning and staying away. It's no different here, be sensible, again, something some of these guys don't do/get.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Furner predicts 2022 will be toughest season of pandemic yet

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders braced for stricter NRL COVID protocols ahead of training return

Raiders CEO Don Furner says that 2022 is set to be the toughest since the global COVID outbreak.

"It's going to be more onerous than the last few years because there was no COVID, we had none in Canberra, the NRL did a great job [with] two years of no positives," Furner said. "You watch sport around the world and it's now happening in the NRL. You're getting a lot more positive tests, a lot more interruptions for the games or your team lineups. The [latest] protocols are there to minimise the disruptions as much as possible.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

NRL stars lash out at tight COVID-19 restrictions ahead of return to pre-season: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-05/ ... /100738760

Canberra Raiders call for expanded eligibility criteria for first grade to deal with COVID

Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner has called for the NRL to introduce expanded eligibility criteria for first grade if players within the main squad test positive for COVID-19. The idea was first proposed by Raiders coach Ricky Stuart, who said all players should be made available in the 2022 season, not just the top 30 squad.

Read more and audio: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/01/05/ ... nrl-clubs/

AUDIO: Raiders CEO Don Furner: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=944764
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I really hope I'm wrong, but the pessimist in me thinks this season is seriously and irreparably screwed. Until they seriously start treating COVID like the flu (ie: don't test for it, no forced isolations or quarantine, etc) games will be getting cancelled left right and centre.

There's no safety net now of "Oh we'll just relocate to QLD". It's pretty much spreading like wildfire everywhere. I'll eat my hat if we play a full uninterrupted season.

Even if half the squads end up in quarantine and they throw kids into first grade to just get the game played to fulfill broadcasters rights, there's going to be serious legitimacy issues with whoever wins the comp. Training and preparations are going to be massively impacted every week, many games won't feature the best players.

It'll be like Origin time all year with Neville-nobodies filling the first grade squads. Good teams will get beaten by crap teams due to all their first-grade quality players being out, like when the Tigers smashed the Panthers during Origin time last year.

Not looking forward to this season at all.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Don Furner says that two Raiders players still not vaccinated. Also indicated that the first person to test positive at the club was a physio. The SEN audio suggests 16 Knights have tested positive. Also that the club will mark the passing of Peter Mulholland at the first home game of the season, and that one of the club's awards for juniors will be named in his honour.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Finchy wrote:I really hope I'm wrong, but the pessimist in me thinks this season is seriously and irreparably screwed. Until they seriously start treating COVID like the flu (ie: don't test for it, no forced isolations or quarantine, etc) games will be getting cancelled left right and centre.

There's no safety net now of "Oh we'll just relocate to QLD". It's pretty much spreading like wildfire everywhere. I'll eat my hat if we play a full uninterrupted season.

Even if half the squads end up in quarantine and they throw kids into first grade to just get the game played to fulfill broadcasters rights, there's going to be serious legitimacy issues with whoever wins the comp. Training and preparations are going to be massively impacted every week, many games won't feature the best players.

It'll be like Origin time all year with Neville-nobodies filling the first grade squads. Good teams will get beaten by crap teams due to all their first-grade quality players being out, like when the Tigers smashed the Panthers during Origin time last year.

Not looking forward to this season at all.
I agree with you this season will be so disruptive if nothing changes.

We are currently seeing this in the Big Bash and won’t be long before the Big Bash goes into a bubble or it could not finish its season.
It also dilutes the product with teams fielding half strength sides.
Telling players to get vaccinated yet don’t give them any freedom, this won’t end well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Brew I have a feeling things are escalating so quickly that for better or worse Covid will have blown through before season start. I’ve heard reports case numbers are doubling every 2 days. At over 35k identified cases in NSW it’s moving through very quickly. This won’t be a slow burn. I think Ricky’s player eligibility suggestion is a good one.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

You can understand the angst from the players.

I too expect a stop/start 2022. And as Finchy said earlier there will be no safe bubble this time around.

Team List Tuesday will be as inaccurate as Doms daily Covid numbers.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I suspect a complication might be longer term player impacts. I’d imagine for the majority of young healthy double vaxxed players the reality of the omicron strain might be missing a week or two with mild to no symptoms, still training individually and coming back bigger better and well rested. I also think there will be some players with longer turn issues most likely associated with fatigue. This could really impact 2022 form and also create some tough recruitment/retention decisions beyond. I can see end season reviews being about - Is player X beyond it or not up to it, or was he just knocked about in 2022 by covid?

I see in the media today the Panthers have been hit with it. I suspect most clubs (and people) will ride this rollercoaster in coming weeks and by season start all will either be out the other side of it or will have avoided it and landed in a more stable world with greater herd immunity and less risk than previous years.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

I'm also fearful of the longer term impacts especially relating to junior systems and pathways. This will be the third year no doubt that the reserve and grade competitions will be affected, though we got QLD Cup last year after a short hiatus mid-season and NSW Cup of course has been cancelled two years in row. My fear is this will lose a lot of part time players from the game (if competitions are cancelled again) and the squad/development players are not getting any minutes at all outside of rotation. And most likely with the NRL bubble protocols, once again NRL squad players will be banned from competing with their feeder clubs.

I'm hoping they can work out a system where a player can successfully exit and re-enter the bubble i.e. to free them up playing in reserve grade.

In saying that, the rule introduced last year (whereby a club can call upon any player in their system after a certain date, provided they are somewhat on the books) was a great addition to those part time players having the pathway to NRL eased somewhat.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Makaveli wrote: January 6, 2022, 3:26 pm I'm also fearful of the longer term impacts especially relating to junior systems and pathways. This will be the third year no doubt that the reserve and grade competitions will be affected, though we got QLD Cup last year after a short hiatus mid-season and NSW Cup of course has been cancelled two years in row. My fear is this will lose a lot of part time players from the game (if competitions are cancelled again) and the squad/development players are not getting any minutes at all outside of rotation. And most likely with the NRL bubble protocols, once again NRL squad players will be banned from competing with their feeder clubs.

I'm hoping they can work out a system where a player can successfully exit and re-enter the bubble i.e. to free them up playing in reserve grade.

In saying that, the rule introduced last year (whereby a club can call upon any player in their system after a certain date, provided they are somewhat on the books) was a great addition to those part time players having the pathway to NRL eased somewhat.
We are already seeing those impacts internationally. England has been so badly impacted they can’t even find 11 blokes who can play cricket.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Makaveli wrote: January 6, 2022, 3:26 pm I'm also fearful of the longer term impacts especially relating to junior systems and pathways. This will be the third year no doubt that the reserve and grade competitions will be affected, though we got QLD Cup last year after a short hiatus mid-season and NSW Cup of course has been cancelled two years in row. My fear is this will lose a lot of part time players from the game (if competitions are cancelled again) and the squad/development players are not getting any minutes at all outside of rotation. And most likely with the NRL bubble protocols, once again NRL squad players will be banned from competing with their feeder clubs.

The way V’Landys described it today, the players will be given a supply of RATs, they’re going to be expected to take the test at home. They bring a negative test with them to training, otherwise they stay home. They’re out for seven days if positive, take a RATs on the sixth day, and they’re back after the seven days if the second test is clear. He’s got 30,000 tests for the NRL. So I suspect that means it’s pretty easy for lower grade players to be brought in. All they need do is pass the RAT.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Anyone else disappointed in our playing group? It’s possibly a vocal minority but I suspect given the anti-vax, anti-science ‘alternative fact’ nonsense being peddled across players and wives social media it’s more widespread.

Seriously, you’d think in the aftermath of Frank Pritchard flying the flag for the unvaxxed that they’d pull their heads in. Not so; Novak suddenly is the saviour of the free world to some of these blokes and their kin.

I have empathy for the added restrictions all players now face but seriously I’m so disappointed in what appears a largish vocal group of our players for their carry-on. And the two unvaxxed? Madness; why let them around the group? Getting to the point where i’d wash my hands with them regardless of who they are and what they bring.

Maybe I’m Han Solo on this but I’m pretty disappointed.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Agree, I actually think the club needs to tell them to stop.

It's not a good look AND it's not helping their community
They could potentially be responsible for someone following their "hero" and dying from covid.

I honestly thought Pritchard getting so sick might have knocked some sense into them and they used Frank as a reason to encourage their community to get vaxxed.

My love/opinion of Sia has dropped significantly this year and I actually want him out of the club completely as I think based on his socials he is encouraging the others.

You kind of get the feeling those who are pro vax are too intimidated to go against the team to promote vaccination and that is the biggest disappointment of all.
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Old School Green wrote: January 6, 2022, 6:56 pm Anyone else disappointed in our playing group? It’s possibly a vocal minority but I suspect given the anti-vax, anti-science ‘alternative fact’ nonsense being peddled across players and wives social media it’s more widespread.

Seriously, you’d think in the aftermath of Frank Pritchard flying the flag for the unvaxxed that they’d pull their heads in. Not so; Novak suddenly is the saviour of the free world to some of these blokes and their kin.

I have empathy for the added restrictions all players now face but seriously I’m so disappointed in what appears a largish vocal group of our players for their carry-on. And the two unvaxxed? Madness; why let them around the group? Getting to the point where i’d wash my hands with them regardless of who they are and what they bring.

Maybe I’m Han Solo on this but I’m pretty disappointed.
You’re not Han Solo at all - I think it is hugely disappointing and it’s hard not to lose respect for the team. Disappointing to hear Cat’s comments about Sia - I expected a lot more from him.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I’m seriously disappointed in a lot of the players to be honest.

Our captain was on Insta today complaining about having to do a daily RAT test - at a time when normal people are locked out of work and can’t even access test kits. Aleague teams have been doing daily Rats since September. I’m actually amazed this is new.

Poor bugger.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Coastalraider wrote: January 6, 2022, 8:31 pm I’m seriously disappointed in a lot of the players to be honest.

Our captain was on Insta today complaining about having to do a daily RAT test - at a time when normal people are locked out of work and can’t even access test kits. Aleague teams have been doing daily Rats since September. I’m actually amazed this is new.

Poor bugger.
Wow - some quality leadership there…. Beyond disappointing but I’m not shocked to learn that.
BJ123
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Chicka

Post by BJ123 »

But a footballer does 1 day of labouring on a building site and he suddenly thinks he’s an expert with an understanding of living and working in the real world.

They should be working as wardsmen in a hospital lifting patients in and out of beds and toilets to get a better perspective.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Croker?

What?
LozzaG
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by LozzaG »

gangrenous wrote:Croker?

What? Image
No whitehead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Ah that makes more sense.

Still not very much sense. But more than Croker.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jack Wighton’s Instagram suggesting Corey Horsburgh has had COVID, his own Instagram indicating he was in isolation with Matt Timoko.

Looks like the Raiders have had more than the two cases confirmed by the club.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Ah this season will be fun. Imagine Penrith or Manly getting to the grand final and losing Cleary or Turbo due to Covid isolation requirements.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: January 12, 2022, 7:21 am Jack Wighton’s Instagram suggesting Corey Horsburgh has had COVID, his own Instagram indicating he was in isolation with Matt Timoko.

Looks like the Raiders have had more than the two cases confirmed by the club.
I think thats the players and club's private business and we dont need to know

Every club in the nrl, every work place has had multiple cases of covid , its not unusual nor does it matter
Vaccinated