2022 merchandise range

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Re: 2022 merchandise range

Post by Robert the Bruce »

Would love a plain navy polo, no shiny materials with lines and checks and tabs, just your classic pique style, with the Raiders logo on the chest, it’s really not that hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

hrundi89 wrote: November 1, 2021, 12:17 pm
BadnMean wrote: October 30, 2021, 2:33 pm I don't mind the black one, maybe a bit busy for me but not bad, I could see it doing well.

The classic era look is always good. Just unfortunate the main sponsors logo is red. I do wonder why sponsors don't consider colour changes to logos on a football jersey. Is Canberra forklifts red logo really so iconic and central to the brand it can't be raiders blue or some other colour scheme?
Toyota is red. That's why.

The logos are designed to maximise visual awareness on various media channels. There is software that's used to track all of this and accumulate sponsorship value for clubs so that they can justify the price of various sponsorship packages.

A subtle logo maybe good for your personal aesthetics but if it doesn't "pop" on tv or online it doesn't work.
Yeah right. I live and learn. Good info, thanks Hrundi.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

One thing I will add... Toyota seems quite happy to have their logo in white on the Cowboys jerseys. It has at times, also been red, depending on the jersey. They are a different subsidiary, as pointed out... and perhaps they are more flexible, as I have previously heard that the dollars are put up by North Queensland Toyota dealers. But interesting, nevertheless, that they have been prepared to do that, to better integrate the logo into the design.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

Yeah I might give it a go later, they're pretty inconsistent (or flexible depending on your side of the argument) https://www.google.com/search?q=toyota+forklifts+logo but even the orange would be preferable.

Totally understand the point about media advertising etc, but you could also make the argument that merch sales could be impacted horribly (I won't be buying a toyota jersey). People buying and wearing the jerseys is valuable exposure above and beyond the contractual length. Just think Woodgers, Milk, Video Ezy (RIP)

What amazes me though is it's a $1m deal, all that negotiation... then you just 'slap a white rectangle and red text' on a lime green jersey :nooo
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

hrundi89 wrote:
BadnMean wrote: October 30, 2021, 2:33 pm I don't mind the black one, maybe a bit busy for me but not bad, I could see it doing well.

The classic era look is always good. Just unfortunate the main sponsors logo is red. I do wonder why sponsors don't consider colour changes to logos on a football jersey. Is Canberra forklifts red logo really so iconic and central to the brand it can't be raiders blue or some other colour scheme?
Toyota is red. That's why.

The logos are designed to maximise visual awareness on various media channels. There is software that's used to track all of this and accumulate sponsorship value for clubs so that they can justify the price of various sponsorship packages.

A subtle logo maybe good for your personal aesthetics but if it doesn't "pop" on tv or online it doesn't work.
To be technical it's red and white

Their rally cars have always been a variant of red and white (Castrol sponsorship had green blended in)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:
-PJ- wrote: October 30, 2021, 2:54 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 30, 2021, 2:32 pm
nachopants wrote: October 30, 2021, 12:08 pm Gosh the lack of effort in integrating sponsor logos is so infuriating to me haha
Nacho… given you’re a graphic design expert, I would like to see some alternatives that you might dream up. It’d probably be beneficial to both parties, in that the sponsor logo would be presented to its best advantage, it’d produce more merchandise sales… and more exposure for the sponsor. Win-win.
I’m a graphic design expert as well…
Sorry, PJ. I didn't know. So I'd like to see your ideas too!
Can I have a go also?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Everyone have a go

I'm looking forward to some quality ms paint renders

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: November 1, 2021, 5:04 pm
greeneyed wrote:
nachopants wrote: October 30, 2021, 12:08 pm Gosh the lack of effort in integrating sponsor logos is so infuriating to me haha
Nacho… given you’re a graphic design expert, I would like to see some alternatives that you might dream up. It’d probably be beneficial to both parties, in that the sponsor logo would be presented to its best advantage, it’d produce more merchandise sales… and more exposure for the sponsor. Win-win.
Can I have a go also?
Yes you can!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Had a play with an app on my phone

2nd one I tried to model the milk logo, but was pretty limited with fonts and sizes

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The first one already looks a lot better than the official one.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

-TW- wrote: November 1, 2021, 6:40 pm Had a play with an app on my phone

2nd one I tried to model the milk logo, but was pretty limited with fonts and sizes

The red on green blurs and gets lost.

The less said about the one on the right the better.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: November 1, 2021, 5:04 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Can I have a go also?
Yes you can!
How’s this Boss?
Last edited by FuiFui BradBrad on November 2, 2021, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Also worked on one that could boost the sales in our female markets
Last edited by FuiFui BradBrad on November 2, 2021, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fui, I’ve seen better jerseys.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yes, but have you seen worse?

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Probably not.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: November 2, 2021, 12:14 pm Also worked on one that could boost the sales in our female markets
:opps

One in every size thanks!
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Blue and green should never be seen.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Begbie wrote: November 2, 2021, 6:09 pm Blue and green should never be seen.
No, red and green should n’er be seen.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

I don't know why the club's don't change their colours to match to sponsor.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Because the clubs generate passionate loyalty to their own “brands”, and it is the sponsors who want to leverage off it.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:
Begbie wrote: November 2, 2021, 6:09 pm Blue and green should never be seen.
No, red and green should n’er be seen.
Nah I’ve heard Begbie’s version. Blue and Green should never be seen, unless there’s a colour in between

Nickman's love of NSW
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

MrPosh wrote:

Unless the sponsor owns the club, why should they

Also looks like we've lost ausbrokers as a jersey sponsor

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Seems Newcastle used the MS paint idea to put in a sponsor

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I put up a thread on the 2022 jerseys released so far: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34916

The Cowboys have done a superb job in integrating the logo, the Broncos are fairly good too. The Knights... that's a massive fail.

Pass
Cowboys
Broncos
Bulldogs

Questionable
Panthers
Sharks

Fail
Knights
Raiders
Titans
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:
I’m Brian and so is my wife.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

reptar wrote: November 4, 2021, 7:58 pm
-PJ- wrote:
I’m Brian and so is my wife.
If you want to put in a design, reptar, of course you can.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

greeneyed wrote: November 4, 2021, 6:33 pm I put up a thread on the 2022 jerseys released so far: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34916

The Cowboys have done a superb job in integrating the logo, the Broncos are fairly good too. The Knights... that's a massive fail.

Pass
Cowboys
Broncos
Bulldogs

Questionable
Panthers
Sharks

Fail
Knights
Raiders
Titans
The Raiders are a fail "in your opinion".

I think it's fine...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

hrundi89 wrote: November 4, 2021, 9:25 pm
greeneyed wrote: November 4, 2021, 6:33 pm I put up a thread on the 2022 jerseys released so far: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34916

Pass
Cowboys
Broncos
Bulldogs

Questionable
Panthers
Sharks

Fail
Knights
Raiders
Titans

I think it's fine...
Of course it's my opinion. What else could it be? Very happy to have other people express their opinions on it too. Would be interested in hearing how others compare the different approaches of the different clubs. In my view, the Raiders have done a poor job integrating the sponsor logo into the jersey designs.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

ISC put a lot of effort into this year's Canberra United jersey.

Badger17
Ken Nagas

Post by Badger17 »

greeneyed wrote: November 4, 2021, 9:28 pm

Pass
Cowboys
Broncos
Bulldogs

Questionable
Panthers
Sharks

Fail
Knights
Raiders
Titans

I think it's fine...
Of course it's my opinion. What else could it be? Very happy to have other people express their opinions on it too. Would be interested in hearing how others compare the different approaches of the different clubs. In my view, the Raiders have done a poor job integrating the sponsor logo into the jersey designs.
Sponsorship integration is negotiated between the club and business though. The more the sponsor stands out (i.e. the less integrated it is) the more valuable the sponsorship space is. In other words how the sponsorship is integrated isn't solely the Raiders decision, and as such having a go at them for it is a bit silly.

Maybe the Raiders could have offered a deal where Toyota's logo was better integrated, but the deal would be worth significantly less than the current one and people would be bagging them for underselling the club's sponsorship space, that's if Toyota would have agreed to better integration at all.

So the club can't win really, no matter what decision they make in this regard somebody is going to be unhappy.
Badger17
Ken Nagas

Post by Badger17 »

-TW- wrote: November 3, 2021, 12:37 pm
MrPosh wrote:

Unless the sponsor owns the club, why should they

Also looks like we've lost ausbrokers as a jersey sponsor

Some clubs actually do sell colours in their colour scheme as part of sponsorship deals, or have in the past.

The red and green in the Warriors original colours scheme was to better integrate DB Bitters red and green. The red in their black, white, and grey scheme was Vodafone's red.

When Manly was sponsored by Pepsi they added red and blue stripes to their jersey to better integrate the sponsorship.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Badger17 wrote: November 6, 2021, 8:25 pm

Pass
Cowboys
Broncos
Bulldogs

Questionable
Panthers
Sharks

Fail
Knights
Raiders
Titans

I think it's fine...
Sponsorship integration is negotiated between the club and business though. The more the sponsor stands out (i.e. the less integrated it is) the more valuable the sponsorship space is. In other words how the sponsorship is integrated isn't solely the Raiders decision, and as such having a go at them for it is a bit silly.

Maybe the Raiders could have offered a deal where Toyota's logo was better integrated, but the deal would be worth significantly less than the current one and people would be bagging them for underselling the club's sponsorship space, that's if Toyota would have agreed to better integration at all.

So the club can't win really, no matter what decision they make in this regard somebody is going to be unhappy.
Hi welcome to the site!

I don’t think it is “silly”. But looking at the final products, some clubs have negotiated better outcomes… and I suspect they’re win-win outcomes. I know we can’t be sure.

I’ve certainly seen droves of Knights supporters on social media saying they are not buying their monstrous 2022 jersey. Is that big ugly green badge on a red and blue jersey worth it? Good sponsors would “get it”. NIB seems to have produced a lot of discontent and it’s probably damaged the value of their sponsorship. Maybe they think the bad publicity is good, on the basis that any publicity is good publicity. But I think that’s short sighted. Definitely a case of lose-lose.

Based on the result, I think the Raiders and Toyota Forklifts could have done a lot better.
Badger17
Ken Nagas

Post by Badger17 »

greeneyed wrote: November 6, 2021, 9:30 pm
Badger17 wrote: November 6, 2021, 8:25 pm

Pass
Cowboys
Broncos
Bulldogs

Questionable
Panthers
Sharks

Fail
Knights
Raiders
Titans

I think it's fine...

Hi welcome to the site!

I don’t think it is “silly”. But looking at the final products, some clubs have negotiated better outcomes… and I suspect they’re win-win outcomes. I know we can’t be sure.

I’ve certainly seen droves of Knights supporters on social media saying they are not buying their monstrous 2022 jersey. Is that big ugly green badge on a red and blue jersey worth it? Good sponsors would “get it”. NIB seems to have produced a lot of discontent and it’s probably damaged the value of their sponsorship. Maybe they think the bad publicity is good, on the basis that any publicity is good publicity. But I think that’s short sighted. Definitely a case of lose-lose.

Based on the result, I think the Raiders and Toyota Forklifts could have done a lot better.
Other clubs are in different positions to negotiate than the Raiders, so it's hard to compare them.

Obviously we don't know the ins and outs of each club's sponsorship deals, but you'll almost certainly find the ones that get the best outcomes are the ones that have the most demand for their sponsorship space. Which is also why on average you'll see a pattern of the smaller regional and Sydney clubs having worse outcomes than the bigger clubs whom simply have more demand for their space.

Which brings us to the point, the Raiders are a regional club in a small market without very good exposure compared to many of the other clubs. As such their sponsorship space wouldn't exactly be in demand, so if they are going to maximise their returns they're going to be forced to comprise. It is what it is, and there's no point having a go at them about it.

BTW, NIB probably couldn't care less that there's a vocal minority of Knights fans on the internet that don't like having a big green billboard in the middle of their jersey. When a sponsor buys space on a team's jersey they aren't just advertising to the home team's fans, and all publicity that increases brand recognition without negative associations of the product is good publicity from all businesses point of view.

Besides the NIB one is way worse than the Raiders one, and in that case it would be justifiable to blame the Knights for it considering that they approved a jersey design knowing that their main sponsor would cover up the major design feature.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yet the Cowboys probably have the best outcome in terms of the design. Ironically, with another subsidiary company of the Toyota Group.

NIB certainly could take the view that any publicity is good publicity. But they are being perceived negatively not only by Knights fans, but rugby league fans in general. Poor outcome for them, IMO.