Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FROG
Brett Mullins

Re: Nick Cotric ready for shock return to Canberra as Bulldogs make cost-cutting decision

Post by FROG »

Didn't rapana sign a two year extension?

Hey, could be overthinking this but anyone else think this move could suggest something about Crokers future? I.e Croker medically retiring when the dollars freed up to sign nicko
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: Nick Cotric ready for shock return to Canberra as Bulldogs make cost-cutting decision

Post by gangrenous »

afgtnk wrote: Based on what exactly?

He's flat out making that back five right now in the view of many, and certainly not at fullback.
You and your alts only count as 1 person.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Vossy reporting Raiders only have the Cotric cash if Hodgo goes

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Boney, I don't know where Vossy gets his information, but given how thin we are at 9 and the word being that Hodgo is staying, I reckon the balance of the side needs a dummy half more than another outside back, even a quality one.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Cotric walks into our starting side with no legs.

I welcome this, should never have left.

Will find his mojo again, he’s a Raider.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

-PJ- wrote: November 25, 2021, 6:18 am Cotric walks into our starting side with no legs.

I welcome this, should never have left.

Will find his mojo again, he’s a Raider.
Agree.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

RedRaider wrote:Boney, I don't know where Vossy gets his information, but given how thin we are at 9 and the word being that Hodgo is staying, I reckon the balance of the side needs a dummy half more than another outside back, even a quality one.
where's the cash?

outs
George Williams 700k
Curtis Scott $600k
Sia $250k
Dunamis $250k
Havili $250k
James $400k
Adam Cook $100k
$2.55m

ins
Fogarty $350k
Elliott $250k
Hola $250k
$850k

upgrades I'll assume they are all $100k top up
Mooney
HSS
Timoko
Hoppa
Jack
Papa
Whitehead
Starling $200k top up
$900k

where's the other $650k

edit
Valemei and Savage also in

Last edited by bonehead on November 25, 2021, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edrick The Entertainer
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

RedRaider wrote: November 25, 2021, 6:06 am Boney, I don't know where Vossy gets his information, but given how thin we are at 9 and the word being that Hodgo is staying, I reckon the balance of the side needs a dummy half more than another outside back, even a quality one.
I agree
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Ok, so we take him back - who leaves? There was speculation that Simmonson was on Eels radar - that's gone quiet. Not sure where Semi fits in but he was recently extended, rightly or wrongly. But the price of these two would be half of Cotric. I think there's quite a few moves to play out before we even get close. If they're relying on Croker money for this that could be some way off and there's no guarantee the NRL will allow it - they do hate us remember:)
Shoving it in your face since 2017
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

Maybe they weren't all 100k top ups

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Cotric would walk back into the side.
Simo and Semi could leave and Croker retire.
That clears the cap and roster spots for the young up and comers..
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Outside the box.. we want Rapa involved, Cotric wants to play centre, CNK helps out defensive stricture and we need savages speed.

1. Rapa
2. Savage
3. Cotric
4. CNK
5. Valemi
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Botman wrote:
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: November 24, 2021, 6:14 pm Only downside is, how would we fit savage in the 17 come round 1?

Seems to be the unpopular opinion but I absolutely would not have him playing fullback over CNK come round 1.
I dont think hard to fit in Savage at all

1. Savage
2. Rapana
3. CNK/Timoko/HSS
4. CNK/Timoko/HSS
5. Cotric

Problem solved, in fact he wouldnt even really be impacted by this. If Savage turns out to not be suited at fullback, he'll be primed to take over from Rapana who must SURELY be retiring after this year, his body surely cant give much more
Yep agree, Timoko and CNK as starting centres

Croker, Bailey Semi as depth

Kris can play a role off the bench IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

bonehead wrote: November 25, 2021, 5:58 am Vossy reporting Raiders only have the Cotric cash if Hodgo goes

Yep - big call taking money out of the spine and investing in an already crowded wing position. It’s not a balanced cap. The price would needs to be right and one or two outside backs would need to shuffle on. It’s not good value if you ask me. Yes he stacks up on the player on player comparisons but that isn’t how you build a roster.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

Given the nature of his departure I am a little surprised he would come back to Canberra by choice. Great news if it happens though.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Brew wrote: November 25, 2021, 7:11 am
Botman wrote:
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: November 24, 2021, 6:14 pm Only downside is, how would we fit savage in the 17 come round 1?

Seems to be the unpopular opinion but I absolutely would not have him playing fullback over CNK come round 1.
I dont think hard to fit in Savage at all

1. Savage
2. Rapana
3. CNK/Timoko/HSS
4. CNK/Timoko/HSS
5. Cotric

Problem solved, in fact he wouldnt even really be impacted by this. If Savage turns out to not be suited at fullback, he'll be primed to take over from Rapana who must SURELY be retiring after this year, his body surely cant give much more
Yep agree, Timoko and CNK as starting centres

Croker, Bailey Semi as depth

Kris can play a role off the bench IMO

While not arguing with your selections, something like this would mean that you have the best part of $1m sitting in your 3 player depth. While not possible this year, I suggest where we need to get to is to reduce that to $500k and whack the rest into the spine. My fear with this move is that we will be over capitalising in our outside backs and depth and underinvested in 1, 7 and 9. Also when you tally up the total of what we would be paying for outside backs I’m not sure we have the superstar players other club’s forking out the same cash might boast. We will be paying overs for too many above average players when perhaps we should be aiming for 2 outstanding players and a decent back up.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote: November 24, 2021, 8:54 pm
Matt wrote: November 24, 2021, 8:39 pm
Billy Walker wrote: November 24, 2021, 8:27 pm
Matt wrote: November 24, 2021, 8:20 pm Anything 450K or less, and I think we are getting a good deal on Cotric. So if that's 150-200K+ in freight, we are laughing.

What did we offer him last yr? 500? 550? 600?
$450k Cotric - ok maybe, but tally up the total of what we will be paying for the 2 and 5 jumpers and the back ups and we have a lopsided roster. We’d be forking out lots more for the value we’d be getting in those two positions.
What's Rapa on?
Kris, HSS, Timoko and Hoppa only got rookie upgrades, with the later only upgraded to top 30 status. Surely none of them are on over 250K.
He is too bulky and not quick enough. Savage is our future in the back 3. Players like Saab and Ado-Carr are the prototype in the modern game. I think Nick has peaked and his bulky frame is injury prone. I hope I’m wrong because he seems like a good kid but I think he is a bit limited.
I'd play Savage at FB, and have 2 battering rams on the wings. Best of both worlds.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Crash Ball wrote: November 25, 2021, 7:28 am Given the nature of his departure I am a little surprised he would come back to Canberra by choice. Great news if it happens though.
I've missed something. What was the nature of his departure other than being offered a ridiculously big contract elsewhere?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Crash Ball wrote: November 25, 2021, 7:28 am Given the nature of his departure I am a little surprised he would come back to Canberra by choice. Great news if it happens though.
I don't understand this...He was crying his eyes out in his last game for us
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead wrote: November 25, 2021, 5:58 am Vossy reporting Raiders only have the Cotric cash if Hodgo goes

How is this possible? :nooo :nooo :nooo
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: November 25, 2021, 7:56 am
I've missed something. What was the nature of his departure other than being offered a ridiculously big contract elsewhere?
I dont think there was any acrimony on either side
As it was told to me, Cotric was eager to move to Sydney and would only stay if the money was too good, the club made it clear early that sort of money wasn't on offer and everyone understood and respected each others decisions

I'd have to wonder if all the lock downs, added with a major injury and a bad football team where he was catching colds when he was on the field may have given Cotric a lot of time to really consider the his motivations when leaving. But certainly im not aware of he or the club having any ill feelings
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

How could we go from looking at getting Brown and Jr Paulo...To having no money to spend on anyone. I hate my life
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Raiders666 wrote: November 25, 2021, 8:24 am How could we go from looking at getting Brown and Jr Paulo...To having no money to spend on anyone. I hate my life
Brown sucks.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: November 25, 2021, 8:12 am

How is this possible? :nooo :nooo :nooo
We are a joke of a club. No wonder it's been almost 30 years.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Finchy wrote:
Dusty wrote: November 24, 2021, 7:21 pm He was bog average in his last season or so with us too, not just last year.

Not really. He was our top try scorer.
Even still, he was average at best

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

BadnMean wrote:
Finchy wrote: November 24, 2021, 7:32 pm
Dusty wrote: November 24, 2021, 7:21 pm He was bog average in his last season or so with us too, not just last year.

He also had 14 line breaks and 126 tackle breaks in 2020. That's a season people are knocking him for. Do Simo and Semi have 14 line breaks between them in the last 2 seasons combined?
Lots of tackle break but when he breaks tackles he crabs sideways and didn’t make much yardage.

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Coastalraider wrote: November 25, 2021, 6:55 am Outside the box.. we want Rapa involved, Cotric wants to play centre, CNK helps out defensive stricture and we need savages speed.

1. Rapa
2. Savage
3. Cotric
4. CNK
5. Valemi
Literally the worst possible back 5 combination you could have made. Sorry mate, big no from me!
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Botman wrote: November 25, 2021, 8:25 am
Raiders666 wrote: November 25, 2021, 8:24 am How could we go from looking at getting Brown and Jr Paulo...To having no money to spend on anyone. I hate my life
Brown sucks.
I know he does...The point I was making is he wouldn't have come cheaply same as Paulo.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Dusty wrote: November 25, 2021, 8:37 am
BadnMean wrote:
Finchy wrote: November 24, 2021, 7:32 pm

He also had 14 line breaks and 126 tackle breaks in 2020. That's a season people are knocking him for. Do Simo and Semi have 14 line breaks between them in the last 2 seasons combined?
Lots of tackle break but when he breaks tackles he crabs sideways and didn’t make much yardage.

So does Rapa. Sometimes it works.

Cotric averaged 130m in completed games on the wing in 2020. Considering that's below his usual standards, not bad at all.

There's zero doubt he's better than Simo and Semi. By a wide margin.

Whether we need him back right now- that's debatable.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Matt wrote: November 25, 2021, 7:51 am
Billy Walker wrote: November 24, 2021, 8:54 pm
Matt wrote: November 24, 2021, 8:39 pm
Billy Walker wrote: November 24, 2021, 8:27 pm
Matt wrote: November 24, 2021, 8:20 pm Anything 450K or less, and I think we are getting a good deal on Cotric. So if that's 150-200K+ in freight, we are laughing.

What did we offer him last yr? 500? 550? 600?
$450k Cotric - ok maybe, but tally up the total of what we will be paying for the 2 and 5 jumpers and the back ups and we have a lopsided roster. We’d be forking out lots more for the value we’d be getting in those two positions.
What's Rapa on?
Kris, HSS, Timoko and Hoppa only got rookie upgrades, with the later only upgraded to top 30 status. Surely none of them are on over 250K.
He is too bulky and not quick enough. Savage is our future in the back 3. Players like Saab and Ado-Carr are the prototype in the modern game. I think Nick has peaked and his bulky frame is injury prone. I hope I’m wrong because he seems like a good kid but I think he is a bit limited.
I'd play Savage at FB, and have 2 battering rams on the wings. Best of both worlds.
Yeah, I'm thinking similarly now Matt. I've been firm in wanting to keep CNK at fullback while Savage develops. But if Savage were thrown in the deep as fullback to start 2022 you couldn't get a better wing combo than Cotric and Rapana to look after him.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Lui_Bon wrote: November 25, 2021, 1:04 am
afgtnk wrote: November 24, 2021, 11:45 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: November 24, 2021, 11:35 pm
afgtnk wrote: November 24, 2021, 11:14 pm
Billy Walker wrote: November 24, 2021, 9:28 pm It’s an odd take that we value a future signing by weighing him up against the current player we think is weakest in the position.
I'm weighing him up against the best we have, and he's still comfortably better.

No one should have any doubts about this - Nick Cotric walks back into this side with the current squad we have and is the first back picked.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you mean the back 5. In which case, like it or not CNK is easily the first picked.
Based on what exactly?

He's flat out making that back five right now in the view of many, and certainly not at fullback.
Ha. I understand there's a widespread and self-reinforcing view here that somehow CNK is on the outer and going to be shunted for an 18yo who's played two games, at fullback. OK. I just don't personally agree with that, and nor do I think it cuts any ice with the Raiders' coaching staff. They want someone who can organise a backline and a defence, and CNK is (in my view) being lambasted here simply because he doesn't apparently throw a cutout pass often enough.

I'm not his mum, so check this out:

The Kiwi fullback has been one of the Raiders’ best players since he made the move from the Warriors in 2019. After initially signing on a $130,000-a-year deal and having a breakout season, the silky mover signed a modest $330,000-a-year deal which runs out at the end of 2023. Although Nicoll-Klokstad suffered a neck injury and was predicted to be out for the season in May, he was back on the bench as early as August after a shock recovery from after spinal fusion surgery. Nicoll-Klokstad had similar metres-per-game to Tom Trbojevic and Dylan Edwards as well as having a better kick defusal percentage than Clint Gutherson, James Tedesco and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck since 2019. The Raiders will be hoping their star fullback will be back to his best in 2022 and the 26-year-old will be looking for a nice extension, with a well-deserved pay rise next season.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ba70c926da

Agree with that or not, I reckon he would be the first named (provided Jarrod Croker isn't in the mix) and is a fair candidate for a future captaincy. Doresn't mean it's the right decision, just what I think is really obvious.
CNK at fullback isn't even a debate for me anymore, and many on here as well it seems.

We can't continue with him in the position, simple as that - especially with Crawley coming back in. Either he adapts to centre, or finds himself another club.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders approached about potential Nick Cotric return

The Raiders would welcome Nick Cotric back to the club with open arms, if a deal can be struck with the Canterbury Bulldogs around the final two years of his lucrative deal at Belmore. His manager Sam Ayoub has contacted a number of clubs about Cotric, including the Raiders. Ayoub was in Canberra on Wednesday, but the visit was not Cotric related.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Honestly, it is simply about cost.

Outside back is no longer a position of need for us. If we get him cheap I.e. paying less then half of his contract, then yes take him simply because it isnt taking up much cap space for a good player.

But we should absolutely not be paying 400k plus for another winger, when we are loaded on outside backs.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

afgtnk wrote: November 25, 2021, 9:11 am
Lui_Bon wrote: November 25, 2021, 1:04 am
afgtnk wrote: November 24, 2021, 11:45 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: November 24, 2021, 11:35 pm
afgtnk wrote: November 24, 2021, 11:14 pm

I'm weighing him up against the best we have, and he's still comfortably better.

No one should have any doubts about this - Nick Cotric walks back into this side with the current squad we have and is the first back picked.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you mean the back 5. In which case, like it or not CNK is easily the first picked.
Based on what exactly?

Ha. I understand there's a widespread and self-reinforcing view here that somehow CNK is on the outer and going to be shunted for an 18yo who's played two games, at fullback. OK. I just don't personally agree with that, and nor do I think it cuts any ice with the Raiders' coaching staff. They want someone who can organise a backline and a defence, and CNK is (in my view) being lambasted here simply because he doesn't apparently throw a cutout pass often enough.

I'm not his mum, so check this out:

The Kiwi fullback has been one of the Raiders’ best players since he made the move from the Warriors in 2019. After initially signing on a $130,000-a-year deal and having a breakout season, the silky mover signed a modest $330,000-a-year deal which runs out at the end of 2023. Although Nicoll-Klokstad suffered a neck injury and was predicted to be out for the season in May, he was back on the bench as early as August after a shock recovery from after spinal fusion surgery. Nicoll-Klokstad had similar metres-per-game to Tom Trbojevic and Dylan Edwards as well as having a better kick defusal percentage than Clint Gutherson, James Tedesco and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck since 2019. The Raiders will be hoping their star fullback will be back to his best in 2022 and the 26-year-old will be looking for a nice extension, with a well-deserved pay rise next season.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ba70c926da

Agree with that or not, I reckon he would be the first named (provided Jarrod Croker isn't in the mix) and is a fair candidate for a future captaincy. Doresn't mean it's the right decision, just what I think is really obvious.
CNK at fullback isn't even a debate for me anymore, and many on here as well it seems.

We can't continue with him in the position, simple as that - especially with Crawley coming back in. Either he adapts to centre, or finds himself another club.
This is a rare time where I agree with you.

But for different reasons.

CNK isnt a fullback at the raiders because of the speed savage offers. We are devoid of speed (cotric doesnt fix that eh arguably makes it worse)...

If savage is injured or just loses game after game for us in the first 5 fielding kicks etc, maybe we switch back and let him develop on the wing. However for me, Savage should be given first nod at fullback if he can have a break out year, we can be playing with the big boys again.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah 400k + would be overs - he hasn't shown great form the last 2 years and the game has changed. It would be peak Raiders if we ended up signing him for 10 years at 500k though.