Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
Andymachine
Clinton Schifcofske
Posts: 563
Joined: March 26, 2010, 4:56 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Andymachine »

Nothing wrong with smashing the weights as long as he keeps his physique balanced and does all of the running and skills work. Maybe his work ethic in the gym will rub off on a few of the other boys who really need it!

I liked the clips of HSS, CNK etc working with that sprint coach around a month ago. It would be good to see Cotric spend a bit of time with him and refine his running technique.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 34737
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Botman »

Andymachine wrote: December 17, 2021, 7:52 am Nothing wrong with smashing the weights as long as he keeps his physique balanced and does all of the running and skills work. Maybe his work ethic in the gym will rub off on a few of the other boys who really need it!

I liked the clips of HSS, CNK etc working with that sprint coach around a month ago. It would be good to see Cotric spend a bit of time with him and refine his running technique.
Was thinking the same thing
Reeeeally hope we see some insta posts with Nick working with these guys in the next few weeks. A guy as big as Cotric, any sort of speed/acceleration improvement is going to really be beneficial to him converting that into power as a ball runner, and he's already a very strong ball runner.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
User avatar
Lamenting Actions
Gary Coyne
Posts: 114
Joined: June 24, 2021, 2:20 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Billy Walker wrote: December 17, 2021, 6:53 am
Lamenting Actions wrote: December 16, 2021, 9:59 pm
BadnMean wrote: December 16, 2021, 9:24 pm
Billy Walker wrote: December 16, 2021, 7:03 pm I saw Mr Cotric getting about town and without wanting to fat shame the lad let’s just say it won’t hurt him to do a few extras at the end of training!
Yeah Cotric is known for hating the gym, not caring how he looks and letting himself go in the off season... :cmon Not sure I buy it.

Find it pretty hard to believe he won't be exactly where he needs to be round 1. Maybe Gus was mean and didn't let him do pre-season yet?
I worked with a school mate of his. He said Nick is 100 percent infatuated with smashing weights. Was benching twice his weight when he was 14 apparently. When there were free exercise days when he was with the Raiders in his last stint he always chose weights. No doubt he kept doing that at the dogs.

He will never let himself go in that area that is for certain.
Is bigger always better?
Absolutely not. The point is he will never let himself go. Whatever conditioning work he will end up doing starting from today with the Raiders he will no doubt follow and annihilate.
‌ ‌ ▲
▲‌ ▲
User avatar
papabear
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6804
Joined: August 27, 2007, 2:26 pm
Location: leafy part of sydney

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by papabear »

I know lots of blokes who are pretty consistent with the gym / weight training but cardio / speed plays a bit of a second fiddle.
Billy Walker
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6900
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Billy Walker »

papabear wrote: December 17, 2021, 12:23 pm I know lots of blokes who are pretty consistent with the gym / weight training but cardio / speed plays a bit of a second fiddle.
Agility, flexibility, manoeuvrability also -
User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25424
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm almost entirely consistent with both my weight training and cardio. It's very important to me to do neither on a regular basis.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

User avatar
BadnMean
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5783
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by BadnMean »

Given the club has been getting all the backs into sprint sessions and they have full time, qualified professional in charge, he'll know flexibility is important to speed, balance and agility and have them working on all those things. That won't be the issue with Nic.

he had incredible instincts coming to the side as a footballer- when to pin the ears back, when to cut inside, when to grubber or look inside for support. Defensively he was always spot on too. I'd like to see him go back to playing with that sort of freedom and confidence.

He's come back here because he thinks it'll be good for his footy. That's a good sign he knows he still has improving to do and he's seen a couple of coaches now and trusts Ricky to get him playing well again.
Billy Walker
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6900
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote: December 17, 2021, 4:48 pm I'm almost entirely consistent with both my weight training and cardio. It's very important to me to do neither on a regular basis.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
I think I’m on the same program
Ilanraiders
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1943
Joined: November 1, 2012, 3:54 am
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Ilanraiders »

Billy Walker wrote: December 17, 2021, 7:33 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: December 17, 2021, 4:48 pm I'm almost entirely consistent with both my weight training and cardio. It's very important to me to do neither on a regular basis.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
I think I’m on the same program
X3 :roflmao
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 140250
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders recruit Nick Cotric opens up about last season’s injury hell at Canterbury Bulldogs



Nick Cotric has told The Canberra Times how a major toe injury suffered in training ended his 2021 season, before doctors discovered Cotric had been carrying a torn labrum - which saw him undergo shoulder surgery. After snapping a ligament, rest allowed him to avoid foot surgery. Foot surgery could have put him out for 12 months. Now, he’s ready to go with the Raiders.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

https://www.zerotackle.com/out-for-12-m ... ry-112767/
Image
User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25424
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sucked in Canterbury!

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 34737
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Botman »

Article is paywalled
Does it shed any light on what the terms of the deal are with the bulldogs?
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 140250
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by greeneyed »

No.
Image
TongueFTW
David Grant
Posts: 799
Joined: August 3, 2008, 10:40 am

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by TongueFTW »

I think this is a good move. People underestimate the importance of Wingers in the modern game. We saw it in our final season game against the Roosters - a bad game as a Winger can lose you a game easily. Cotric won’t give you much downside. He makes great metres, finishes well, and most importantly is safe. I also wouldn’t rule out a position move eventually, he is still young - though Wing is his best position. Not every day you get a NSW/Aus/Grand Final junior back at the club. I think it’s good business.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1950
Joined: September 2, 2007, 6:22 pm
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi
Location: Bay 69

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Glad to have him back. Never happy about losing him. You don't lose talent like him you produced yourselves and that has its head screwed on right. Would like to see him tried in positions like centre or FB before consigning him to 'winger for life' status. Well done Ricky and Don Jr for getting him back.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
User avatar
Finchy
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1779
Joined: March 30, 2008, 9:59 pm
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Finchy »

Sleek the Elite wrote: January 14, 2022, 1:37 pm Glad to have him back. Never happy about losing him. You don't lose talent like him you produced yourselves and that has its head screwed on right. Would like to see him tried in positions like centre or FB before consigning him to 'winger for life' status. Well done Ricky and Don Jr for getting him back.
Um, we have. Substantially so at centre for a good portion of the season when BJ broke his neck.

Signed to the Bulldogs as a centre, played a few games there, and even they realised he's a winger.

He's not a fullback or a centre. He's had 13 games starting at centre, and 5 starting at fullback.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1950
Joined: September 2, 2007, 6:22 pm
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi
Location: Bay 69

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Finchy wrote: January 14, 2022, 2:03 pm
Sleek the Elite wrote: January 14, 2022, 1:37 pm Glad to have him back. Never happy about losing him. You don't lose talent like him you produced yourselves and that has its head screwed on right. Would like to see him tried in positions like centre or FB before consigning him to 'winger for life' status. Well done Ricky and Don Jr for getting him back.
Um, we have. Substantially so at centre for a good portion of the season when BJ broke his neck.

Signed to the Bulldogs as a centre, played a few games there, and even they realised he's a winger.

He's not a fullback or a centre. He's had 13 games starting at centre, and 5 starting at fullback.
He's made fleeting appearances in the top grade in those positions for us but I wouldn't describe those opportunties as 'substantial'. Agree he hasn't set the world on fire (or caught the eye for that matter) but I wouldn't be putting a line through him completely. He's too talented for that and his talent warranted more opportunities in those positions than he was previously given (imo). I'd be taking another look when opportunity presents. In saying that, there are younger blokes ahead of him in the queue at centre. I'm not sold on our options at FB though so perhaps an opportunity will present itself. I wouldn't be using his stint at the Bulldogs as conclusive proof of anything.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
User avatar
BJ
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6121
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by BJ »

I really hope Cotric is working extremely hard on his ability to pass, draw defenders and straighten his runs.

He’s shown a complete inability to pass the ball after making a break at both the Bulldogs and Raiders.
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 34737
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Botman »

Sleek the Elite wrote: January 14, 2022, 4:18 pm
Finchy wrote: January 14, 2022, 2:03 pm
Sleek the Elite wrote: January 14, 2022, 1:37 pm Glad to have him back. Never happy about losing him. You don't lose talent like him you produced yourselves and that has its head screwed on right. Would like to see him tried in positions like centre or FB before consigning him to 'winger for life' status. Well done Ricky and Don Jr for getting him back.
Um, we have. Substantially so at centre for a good portion of the season when BJ broke his neck.

Signed to the Bulldogs as a centre, played a few games there, and even they realised he's a winger.

He's not a fullback or a centre. He's had 13 games starting at centre, and 5 starting at fullback.
He's made fleeting appearances in the top grade in those positions for us but I wouldn't describe those opportunties as 'substantial'. Agree he hasn't set the world on fire (or caught the eye for that matter) but I wouldn't be putting a line through him completely. He's too talented for that and his talent warranted more opportunities in those positions than he was previously given (imo). I'd be taking another look when opportunity presents. In saying that, there are younger blokes ahead of him in the queue at centre. I'm not sold on our options at FB though so perhaps an opportunity will present itself. I wouldn't be using his stint at the Bulldogs as conclusive proof of anything.
How much more do you want to see?
He's had runs at centre and been so-so, he doesnt have the skillset or body shape for a modern day fullback
He's proven himself to be an excellent winger.

Sometimes you just are who you are. He's a winger, that's where his talents best suit and where his game style best suits. At his best he's an extremely good one at that!
Stuart was right when he told him that when he left us, and i suspect he's comg back here accepting that's where he belongs.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15969
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by bonehead »

Wing is far more important than centre

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Posts: 264
Joined: March 13, 2010, 11:31 am
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Damoni »

BJ wrote:I really hope Cotric is working extremely hard on his ability to pass, draw defenders and straighten his runs.

He’s shown a complete inability to pass the ball after making a break at both the Bulldogs and Raiders.
Agree and I would add Timoko and HSS to that list
Colk
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 365
Joined: July 18, 2020, 1:59 am
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Colk »

bonehead wrote: January 14, 2022, 8:05 pm Wing is far more important than centre

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Well.. there’s no point in having a great winger outside of an ordinary centre who can’t pass him the ball.
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 34737
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Botman »

Colk wrote: January 14, 2022, 8:24 pm
bonehead wrote: January 14, 2022, 8:05 pm Wing is far more important than centre

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Well.. there’s no point in having a great winger outside of an ordinary centre who can’t pass him the ball.
YIKES. Colky found the flux capacitor and took us back to 1996!

Wingers are the least reliant on centres as they've ever been in RL history.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
Colk
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 365
Joined: July 18, 2020, 1:59 am
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Colk »

Botman wrote: January 14, 2022, 8:27 pm
Colk wrote: January 14, 2022, 8:24 pm
bonehead wrote: January 14, 2022, 8:05 pm Wing is far more important than centre

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Well.. there’s no point in having a great winger outside of an ordinary centre who can’t pass him the ball.
YIKES. Colky found the flux capacitor and took us back to 1996!

Wingers are the least reliant on centres as they've ever been in RL history.
Haha very good Botman.

In seriousness though, I do think centres and wingers are about as equally important in the modern game because they essentially have all evolved to play the same role - that is rucking the ball.

You can see that in how we judge Croker (I know not that again but hear me out). In another era, he could play his role using his skill, whereas the game’s increased emphasis on athleticism and power (and its requirements) is catching up with him (made worse by injuries of course)

Thinking about it, I can’t think of any super skilful centres in the modern game and probably not one in a long time - maybe the last one was Jamie Lyon?
User avatar
BadnMean
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5783
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by BadnMean »

Colk wrote: January 14, 2022, 10:55 pm
Botman wrote: January 14, 2022, 8:27 pm
Colk wrote: January 14, 2022, 8:24 pm
bonehead wrote: January 14, 2022, 8:05 pm Wing is far more important than centre

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Well.. there’s no point in having a great winger outside of an ordinary centre who can’t pass him the ball.
YIKES. Colky found the flux capacitor and took us back to 1996!

Wingers are the least reliant on centres as they've ever been in RL history.
Haha very good Botman.

In seriousness though, I do think centres and wingers are about as equally important in the modern game because they essentially have all evolved to play the same role - that is rucking the ball.

You can see that in how we judge Croker (I know not that again but hear me out). In another era, he could play his role using his skill, whereas the game’s increased emphasis on athleticism and power (and its requirements) is catching up with him (made worse by injuries of course)

Thinking about it, I can’t think of any super skilful centres in the modern game and probably not one in a long time - maybe the last one was Jamie Lyon?
The most skillful centres I can think of lately became fullbacks (Latrell, GI) . I don't suppose you count Burton who is biding time for his halves spot.
Elcaptcroker
Simon Woolford
Posts: 489
Joined: September 5, 2016, 11:09 am
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Nick was at his best on the outside of croker and im looking forward to seeing that again, he was ordinary on the outside of scott, and other wingers have been ordinary on the outside of croker.

Theres Definitely a level of trust and understanding between those two that works well, i wouldnt be surprised if nick was on the outside of croker last year, then croker wouldnt of been as poor as he was (still not first grade Standard but better then what he was)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Andymachine
Clinton Schifcofske
Posts: 563
Joined: March 26, 2010, 4:56 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Andymachine »

Elcaptcroker wrote: January 15, 2022, 3:03 pm Nick was at his best on the outside of croker and im looking forward to seeing that again, he was ordinary on the outside of scott, and other wingers have been ordinary on the outside of croker.

Theres Definitely a level of trust and understanding between those two that works well, i wouldnt be surprised if nick was on the outside of croker last year, then croker wouldnt of been as poor as he was (still not first grade Standard but better then what he was)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. Also Rapana is a top tier right winger and this will make it even more confusing when Ricky lines them up the other way around when the season kicks off. If they do happen to line up in their rightful positions of Cotric (left) and Rapana (right) I'm going to assume it's Crowley's doing.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
Riaan
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1933
Joined: April 3, 2006, 11:46 pm
Location: SE Queensland

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Riaan »

BadnMean wrote: January 15, 2022, 6:07 am
Colk wrote: January 14, 2022, 10:55 pm
Botman wrote: January 14, 2022, 8:27 pm
Colk wrote: January 14, 2022, 8:24 pm
bonehead wrote: January 14, 2022, 8:05 pm Wing is far more important than centre

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Well.. there’s no point in having a great winger outside of an ordinary centre who can’t pass him the ball.
YIKES. Colky found the flux capacitor and took us back to 1996!

Wingers are the least reliant on centres as they've ever been in RL history.
Haha very good Botman.

In seriousness though, I do think centres and wingers are about as equally important in the modern game because they essentially have all evolved to play the same role - that is rucking the ball.

You can see that in how we judge Croker (I know not that again but hear me out). In another era, he could play his role using his skill, whereas the game’s increased emphasis on athleticism and power (and its requirements) is catching up with him (made worse by injuries of course)

Thinking about it, I can’t think of any super skilful centres in the modern game and probably not one in a long time - maybe the last one was Jamie Lyon?
The most skillful centres I can think of lately became fullbacks (Latrell, GI) . I don't suppose you count Burton who is biding time for his halves spot.
You can add Staggs and J Manu to that list, the best centres are moving to fullback or the halves because you get payed more and its a more valued position(s). Centre is a bit of a junk position these days.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 140250
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by greeneyed »

Nick Cotric almost joined Wests Tigers, but then… “Ricky told me this is my home”





Nick Cotric always felt he would return to the Raiders. He just did not think it would happen only 12 months after leaving Canberra.

“It was a tough decision because I have a few good mates at the Tigers,” Cotric said. “But I knew this is where I could play my best footy. Ricky told me that this is my home. It’s been the best decision. I have tingles already thinking about playing again. It’s a bit surreal. In my gut I always thought I would be back here one day. It came earlier than I thought.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... a44f043485

Returning Raider details “tough” Dogs tenure, reason for turning down Tigers: https://www.zerotackle.com/returning-ra ... rs-113491/

‘A tough year’: Cotric opens up on Bulldogs nightmare ahead of Raiders homecoming: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 685c5d1b3e
Image
User avatar
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22365
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by -PJ- »

Welcome back Nick.

I’m sure I’ve had a say in the last 17 pages but hey I’m super pumped for Nick.

Big body, does the work out of our end, loves a meat pie.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
User avatar
Roger Kenworthy
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9945
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:18 pm
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The moral of the story here - most NRL journalism is paywalled thanks to V'landys selling out the nrl.com digital arm. As an international fan I'm not in a position to pay for overseas journalism. I used to have a digital subscription to Big League before that was punted. What a disappointment when it comes to promoting the game.
User avatar
BJ
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6121
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by BJ »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:The moral of the story here - most NRL journalism is paywalled thanks to V'landys selling out the nrl.com digital arm. As an international fan I'm not in a position to pay for overseas journalism. I used to have a digital subscription to Big League before that was punted. What a disappointment when it comes to promoting the game.
Good point Roger. In addition….

The ABC’s coverage of the NRL has become appalling. They provide plenty of AFL coverage through TV, Radio and news, but only seem to have scant rugby league news.
Colk
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 365
Joined: July 18, 2020, 1:59 am
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Colk »

BJ wrote: February 6, 2022, 9:29 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote:The moral of the story here - most NRL journalism is paywalled thanks to V'landys selling out the nrl.com digital arm. As an international fan I'm not in a position to pay for overseas journalism. I used to have a digital subscription to Big League before that was punted. What a disappointment when it comes to promoting the game.
Good point Roger. In addition….

The ABC’s coverage of the NRL has become appalling. They provide plenty of AFL coverage through TV, Radio and news, but only seem to have scant rugby league news.
Rugby League doesn’t understand the importance of marketing or media promotion. It’s probably why it seems content to stay on Nine (who have constantly bagged the game) or give so much to News Limited (who have also done the same and seem to think that the competition only has the Roosters and Broncos - I bet if I got today’s Terrorgraph there will be a story about how good the Roosters are in there)

Compare that to the AFL who seem to get good coverage on all outlets and most of it very pro or favourable. They obviously know how to grease the wheels and proactively market their game.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 140250
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by greeneyed »

Colk wrote: February 6, 2022, 10:21 am
BJ wrote: February 6, 2022, 9:29 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote:The moral of the story here - most NRL journalism is paywalled thanks to V'landys selling out the nrl.com digital arm. As an international fan I'm not in a position to pay for overseas journalism. I used to have a digital subscription to Big League before that was punted. What a disappointment when it comes to promoting the game.
Good point Roger. In addition….

The ABC’s coverage of the NRL has become appalling. They provide plenty of AFL coverage through TV, Radio and news, but only seem to have scant rugby league news.
Rugby League doesn’t understand the importance of marketing or media promotion. It’s probably why it seems content to stay on Nine (who have constantly bagged the game) or give so much to News Limited (who have also done the same and seem to think that the competition only has the Roosters and Broncos - I bet if I got today’s Terrorgraph there will be a story about how good the Roosters are in there)

Compare that to the AFL who seem to get good coverage on all outlets and most of it very pro or favourable. They obviously know how to grease the wheels and proactively market their game.
The AFL have been very demanding in their broadcast deals regarding coverage in news and other programming. The NRL only seemed to realise what's been going on in the lead up to the latest deal with Nine.

The establishment of the NRL digital arm was smart thinking, following the NFL, but because the NRL's broadcasters also own major digital and traditional news services... which have been trying to put their content behind paywalls... they put the pressure on the NRL to basically axe the digital arm. The clubs also put on the pressure to axe the spending on the digital arm in favour of their own coffers. Very short term thinking all round from the NRL and the clubs.
Image
User avatar
Question
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15097
Joined: May 20, 2007, 5:13 pm

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by Question »

Probably because the AFL hasnt butchered their game so it is predictable. boring and unrecognizable.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Post Reply