Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Nick Cotric ready for shock return to Canberra as Bulldogs make cost-cutting decision

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote: December 9, 2021, 8:51 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 9, 2021, 8:39 pm
sprintman wrote: December 9, 2021, 8:24 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 9, 2021, 6:40 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: December 9, 2021, 5:46 pm I will be glad to have Cotric back. What I don't like is the report that we are contributing to Bailey Simonsson's salary in 2022 and 2023. We may have over estimated his abilities and consequently overpaying him.
I can’t believe we’re paying freight, but the SMH is indeed reporting that!
Of course we’re paying freight. It’s a business not a benevolent society..
I’ve explained the reasoning in another thread.
Which changes nothing.
I’m sorry you feel this way!
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Nick Cotric ready for shock return to Canberra as Bulldogs make cost-cutting decision

Post by sprintman »

greeneyed wrote: December 9, 2021, 9:27 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 9, 2021, 6:40 pm

I can’t believe we’re paying freight, but the SMH is indeed reporting that!
Which changes nothing.
Sorry that you’re wrong?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote: December 9, 2021, 9:46 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 9, 2021, 9:27 pm

Which changes nothing.
Sorry that you’re wrong?
No I’m just sorry you feel this way.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure - I’m sure Parra aren’t taking on Simo on the expectation he has hit his peak, nor are we happy to settle for 2021 Cotric form. Both clubs will see potential and opportunity to find upside in the new recruits. The reality is that not all NRL deals involve freight. Freight is only paid when a club has screwed up and signed a player well over the odds or when a club finds itself as a desperate seller into a luke warm market. Both Nick and Simo are on contracts that are currently too fat for their output - hence freight.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

Well we'll see how stretched the Bulldogs call us - that might determine the amount they are willing to tip in to move cotric on

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Nick Cotric coming home

Bulldogs flyer Nick Cotric is set to rejoin the Raiders after Green Machine winger Bailey Simonsson signed a three-year deal with the Eels. The Raiders are expected to sign back Cotric for the 2022 season in the coming days, according to The Daily Telegraph’s David Riccio.

“That will allow Nick Cotric from the Canterbury Bulldogs to finish his time up there after just twelve months. He will be gone, he’s played his last game for the Bulldogs, he’s heading back to Canberra.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b31f478fe9

AUDIO: Simonsson's departure to open door for Cotric return: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/12/09/ ... ic-return/

Eels solve dummy half problem with Hodgson signing: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/12/10/ ... n-signing/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

David Riccio saying in that interview that Cotric believes that a return to Canberra is the best thing for his football, which is why he's not going to be going to the Tigers. Sounds very sensible, well advised.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Hopefully means he's motivated to do well.

Could be a really good addition to our squad if his head is in the right spot.

Welcome home Nick.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He's going to really help us out coming off our goal line
He and Rapana are excellent as early set workhorses getting metres to help the forwards. Defensively i think he's a really and smart footballer who knows how Stuart likes to defend... I know some people think he's not suited to V'Landysball, i dont see that myself. There is a lot of power running wingers have good success in the league under the new rules.

Savage, Cotric, CNK, Timoko/HSS, Rapana... that's a pretty good backline. Certainly one capable of scoring points if the structure around is good enough
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

rd1 everyone's heads explode when rapana plays left wing and cotric right

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Botman wrote:He's going to really help us out coming off our goal line
He and Rapana are excellent as early set workhorses getting metres to help the forwards. Defensively i think he's a really and smart footballer who knows how Stuart likes to defend... I know some people think he's not suited to V'Landysball, i dont see that myself. There is a lot of power running wingers have good success in the league under the new rules.

Savage, Cotric, CNK, Timoko/HSS, Rapana... that's a pretty good backline. Certainly one capable of scoring points if the structure around is good enough
You forgot the main man, Mr Croker lol

Interested to see what Mick Crawley can do with the backline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Botman wrote: December 10, 2021, 1:54 pm Savage, Cotric, CNK, Timoko/HSS, Rapana... that's a pretty good backline. Certainly one capable of scoring points if the structure around is good enough
There is a good mix of youth, experience, size and speed there too.

It is a damn sight better than a backline of Semi, Simo, Croker and Scott which was close to what we were trotting out at times last year.
Up The Milk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Welcome home Nick.

I still don’t understand why you left in the first place.

I know why you left, but I’ll never understand it.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

-PJ- wrote: December 10, 2021, 2:45 pm Welcome home Nick.

I still don’t understand why you left in the first place.

I know why you left, but I’ll never understand it.
Young blokes are allowed a few mistakes PJ. Good thing is it looks like he’s learned from it quickly!!
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: December 10, 2021, 1:29 pm David Riccio saying in that interview that Cotric believes that a return to Canberra is the best thing for his football, which is why he's not going to be going to the Tigers. Sounds very sensible, well advised.
But Tigers have more cash :lol:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Backs looking better next year for sure.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Id genuinely have cotric in centre before seeing croker there again
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

So, cotric left us for a year to get paid more to recover from injuries and we get him back fresh at a cheaper price than we were going to pay him with the dogs topping him up? Ok thank you?
Dont delete this GE
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

simo wrote: December 10, 2021, 3:43 pm So, cotric left us for a year to get paid more to recover from injuries and we get him back fresh at a cheaper price than we were going to pay him with the dogs topping him up? Ok thank you?
And he won a spoon.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

bonehead wrote: December 10, 2021, 1:58 pm rd1 everyone's heads explode when rapana plays left wing and cotric right
You know this could happen. Even after they mentioned Rapana is a natural right winger in the press conferences they still picked him on the left. It's good to have someone to blame.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

greeneyed wrote:David Riccio saying in that interview that Cotric believes that a return to Canberra is the best thing for his football, which is why he's not going to be going to the Tigers. Sounds very sensible, well advised.

Big oof Tiges if true

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Swapping Simo for Cotric would be a nice piece of rostering.

And the "big" potentially rep quality signing we were hoping for. Maybe not in the position we wanted (2nd row would have been my first choice), but a good get nonetheless.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Nic gets the big money he wanted for another 2 years and he gets to play at home. Win/win for him.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: December 10, 2021, 1:58 pm rd1 everyone's heads explode when rapana plays left wing and cotric right

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
That would be such a Ricky thing to do
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Mickey_Raider wrote: December 10, 2021, 2:20 pm
Botman wrote: December 10, 2021, 1:54 pm Savage, Cotric, CNK, Timoko/HSS, Rapana... that's a pretty good backline. Certainly one capable of scoring points if the structure around is good enough
There is a good mix of youth, experience, size and speed there too.

It is a damn sight better than a backline of Semi, Simo, Croker and Scott which was close to what we were trotting out at times last year.
Totally agree
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: December 10, 2021, 1:54 pm He's going to really help us out coming off our goal line

Depending on Rick's preferred 5, he has positional flex with most of those guys too.
CNK - any back 5
Cotric - any back 5, by FB would be down the depth chart.
Rapa - any of the 5, but centre is hopeful down the depth chart
Savage - Wing/FB
HSS - Centre/wing, but played some FB in Jrs.
Timoko - Centre/prop (we laughed, but he was effective).

Depth
Kris - centre/edge (ok... we only saw less than 10mins, be I think we all see some potential there)
Hoppa - any of the back 5
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hulking winger Nick Cotric set for return to Canberra Raiders within a week

Nick Cotric could rejoin the Canberra Raiders as early as next week as the final piece of a frantic pre-Christmas roster jigsaw that has also involved Parramatta and Canterbury. Salary cap officials at the NRL are expected to approve the deal on Monday or Tuesday, meaning Cotric could rejoin his old teammates by next weekend.

As a minimum he would sign a two-year deal to rejoin the Raiders, with the Bulldogs set to foot some of his salary in 2022 and 2023. But the Raiders are already thinking beyond the next two seasons.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Nick Cotric on the verge of Dogs exit after Eels sign Bailey Simonsson and Josh Hodgson: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-4891270
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Welcome back Nic.
All is forgiven.
Now, regain that rep player form.
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Welcome home, you will now play Origin again and we once again are spoilt for riches in the backline.
1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. HSS
4. Timoko
5. Rapana

Savage, Croker and kris miss out for now pending injuries. EDIT
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

jimmy82 wrote: December 10, 2021, 6:58 pm Welcome home, you will now play Origin again and we once again are spoilt for riches in the backline.
1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. HSS
4. Timoko
5. Rapana

Savage, Croker and kris miss out for now pending injuries. EDIT
The good thing is, Semi is at least winger #5, could be #7 - Rapa, Cotric, Savage (CNK), HSS, Semi/Anderson/Hoppa.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Done deal. Awesome!
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I think it was Botman (apologies if not) who said they'd love to know what the chip in for Bailey is and what we have to foot for Nick coming back. I am in the same boat, really want to know. If the total of both is under $500K that is probably a win for us. If it is closer to $450K then we are laughing.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I've got as my back 5
Savage
Cotric
Tomoko
CNK
Rapa

On the bench Ive got either HSS or Kris
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Wiki Special wrote: December 10, 2021, 8:35 pm I think it was Botman (apologies if not) who said they'd love to know what the chip in for Bailey is and what we have to foot for Nick coming back. I am in the same boat, really want to know. If the total of both is under $500K that is probably a win for us. If it is closer to $450K then we are laughing.
It totally makes or breaks what i think of this move...
And it ultimately matters not one iota what freight the dogs are paying on Cotric or what we're paying on Simo in a vacuum, this is a duel transaction, and it has to be judged as such.
We dont get that info

This comes down to this, it's a single positon and single roster spot... when all the outs and ins are taken into account, what is the TRUE cost of Cotric?

If it's ultimately 450k, that's just fine, not a good or bad deal, but it's fair IMO, and im happy to have him back. And anything less is a gets to start looking like a pretty good deal for us.
If it's more than 450k, then we've paid too much imo.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We've almost certainly paid too much on that basis. Cotric is a $450k player at best at present. The Bulldogs were reputedly only willing to pay $150k freight to return Cotric to the Raiders on a $650k contract. Now we're told that the Raiders are paying freight on Simonsson's move to the Eels "to create space for Cotric" (not sure why all the other players offloaded, including Scott, Williams and a number of forwards didn't already do this?). The Raiders paying any freight on Simonsson must make the deal marginal at best on the Botman criteria. If the public numbers hang together, what it suggests is... the Raiders made a miscalculation on Simonsson's contract, and his deal was over market. Which is the point I've been making since yesterday.