Through green eyes: 1994

Canberra Raiders history

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It was a year I was living in Paris and posted at the Australian Embassy. It was one of the best few years of my life, except for one thing. There is no rugby league played in Paris. And the Canberra Raiders were playing in - you guessed it - Canberra.

When I moved to France, the idea of pay television was in its infancy. The Internet was something I had hardly conceived of. The only way I could see my beloved Raiders was through the tireless efforts of family and friends: taping games and sending them in the mail to me. A phone call on Sunday morning would bring the results. A week later, the stories from the Australian newspapers and an eagerly awaited tape might come in the mail.

In 1993, I just happened to be back in Australia for one week of the semi finals, only to see the Raiders sadly bow out, crippled by the loss of Ricky Stuart in the final round of the season. But by 1994, something fantastic happened. I got satellite TV from the UK. Sky TV. Every week, we got the two matches of the round from Australia. The Raiders were having a great season and I could often see them just days after they played.

The week that I knew the Raiders had made the Grand Final, Sky TV announced that they would be showing the Grand Final live. The UK commentators everyone hates – Eddie and Stevo – hosted the broadcast, along with Gary Jack, who was playing in the UK.

I woke up at 3am that Sunday morning I was so excited. The broadcast started at around 5 am and I had the set warmed and everything ready to watch the game well before it started. I had visitors from Australia staying with me. Friends came to my apartment to watch. One Raiders fan visiting Paris invited himself – terrified he would miss the game otherwise - and I was rapt that he did. We got the champagne and orange juice out to watch the game and even though it was still dark, it was party mode, a Paris version of the traditional Grand Final barbeque. The sight of Sydney from the air in bright sunshine, while Paris was still in darkness made us all homesick.

The match was wonderful from a Raiders fan’s perspective. Everything went the Raiders’ way from the kickoff. The Martin Bella knock on from the first play. The incredible off loads from late replacement Paul Osborne in the first half. And then the fantastic Mal Meninga try to wrap up the game and his career in Australia. The cheering must have left the Parisians in nearby blocks wondering what was going on.

By the time the game was over, the sun was up. We made pancakes, opened more champagne - forget the orange juice - and watched the game all over again from the start. Then everyone went home or out. The Raiders fan from Australia gave me the shirt off his back, literally: the 1994 Grand Final t-shirt he had brought from Australia in which to watch the game. I sat back and watched the game once more. It was a fantastic day in Raiders’ history, but I hadn’t been able to be there. Something felt like it was missing. Until November 23.

1994 was a Kangaroo tour year, and was Mal Meninga’s final tour, as Australian captain. The team was full of Raiders players. On November 23, the whole Australian team was in Paris for a game against the French President’s XIII. A reception was held for them at the Australian Embassy, and it was a formal affair. But afterwards, almost all of them moved on to the staff bar, Matilda’s. It was a surreal experience for a rugby league fan, just sitting around and chatting to the likes of Laurie Daley, Brett Mullins and Ricky Stuart.

I told Daley what we had done on Grand Final day, and he said, “We haven’t even seen the Grand Final on TV yet”. I told him I had the tape and promptly went and put it up on the big screen in the bar. A group of us then sat down with Daley and Mullins and watched the game over some beers and “analysed” it. It was a late night… and the Kangaroos struggled to beat the President’s XIII the next night in the suburbs of Paris. I’m sure they have no recollection of it, but it is something from 1994 I’ll remember for the rest of my life.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Re: Through green eyes: 1994

Post by Begbie »

You lucky bastard. Trust you to have a taped copy tucked away just in case.

Another good'n GE, keep em coming.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Great memories GE. I couldn't get up to Sydney to see that grand final, only managing to see the North Sydney preliminary game the week before...where we all thought the season was over when Lomax got sent off.

Those years must seem like a million miles away for you now!
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

I got married on the day of the Norths semi , I remember scooting to the church at halftime just beating the bride there , as soon as the ceremony was finished I went straight to the car to find out the score. I was back from the honeymoon in time to watch the GF at home. The best year of my life. ( because we won the GF )
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

:lol:
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Ah remember it well, was at a BBQ full of rabid doggies supporters, 2 memories that really stick out (mainly due to the dogs fans whinging) was Bellas knock on and Mal taking Lamb out of the game, to this day they still cry and swear it was an illegal hit :lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
beetlejuice
David Furner
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by beetlejuice »

what a day. Spent it at my grandparents place for a BBQ with my (then) C-B Bulldogs supporting family. i still have my Grand final shirt too.
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raidersrawesome wrote:I got married on the day of the Norths semi , I remember scooting to the church at halftime just beating the bride there , as soon as the ceremony was finished I went straight to the car to find out the score. I was back from the honeymoon in time to watch the GF at home. The best year of my life. ( because we won the GF )
:clap:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote:Great memories GE. I couldn't get up to Sydney to see that grand final, only managing to see the North Sydney preliminary game the week before...where we all thought the season was over when Lomax got sent off.

Those years must seem like a million miles away for you now!
Yep!