Canberra Raiders and George Williams agree on release

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders release George Williams immediately

Post by GreenMachine »

FROG wrote: May 27, 2021, 4:58 am And btw, if hodgos view is he is not a bench player so he is considering leaving then he should be the one punted immediately. What happened to doing whatever is best for the team or fighting your way back into a starting role? Starling has been better than hodgo of late. No question about it. Anyone with an entitlement mentality needs to be moved on immediately. Yes, That means tapines wife should also be showed 'the door'! (Sorry hodgo could resist mate)
Hodgo has already met the overhead projector... he knows his days are numbered and is shooting from the hip now...
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

I have to say I think its pretty sad seeing some of the comments on here. Its honestly no wonder men's mental health is such an issue.

A bloke comes out saying he's struggling and needs support and everyone starts laying the boot in and making assumptions about his character and motivations. Its pathetic. I'm glad at least the players and a fair chunk of neutral fans are backing George. Some things in life are far more important than football. Family and your own mental well being are probably the 2 biggest.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I’m sick of people hiding behind “mental health” as a reason for their greed when I know people who actually have mental health problems...
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 26, 2021, 11:18 pm
tommyhud9 wrote: May 26, 2021, 11:07 pm Ricky and Don must have private photos of Paul Kent, because any time anyone on the NRL360 desk tries to criticise the Raiders, PK immediately leaps to our defence. It is quite strange and honestly embarrassing.

We have had about 4-5 off-field dramas in the past 12 months and have gone from a top 4 contender to one of the worst sides in the comp.

At some point the club needs to cop some criticism. Something is going wrong.
Paul Kent had made it clear on a number of occasions that he is sick of players (and their managers) screwing the clubs over at the drop of a hat. His position on that is not unique to Canberra.

Contracts are worth Jack **** these days and on the whole it's the clubs that get dudded when a player wants out.
Haha yeah nah

Clubs will gladly **** a player over if they can. The salary cap makes it a cut throat business. There is no loyalty because the player wants every cent he can get and the club wants every dollar of that ten million performing

South's just sent a long serving club man that the fans love packing. We appear to be making the move to medically retire croker.

If Melbourne hadn't told a well liked club man in Richard Swain to hit the bricks at the end of the 02 season we would have signed a young fella called Cameron Smith but Melbourne made the cut throat decision to move Swain on.

Of course the players want to maximise their earnings before the club takes them to the glue factory. A salary cap makes loyalty bad business. We all like Jarrod croker as a human right and a club man but do we want him taking up the cap space he does ?
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 26, 2021, 11:47 pm The overwhelming consensus on Instagram is anti-Hoops. I don't get it at all. What was he wrong about exactly?!
He is extraordinarily unlikable

Hoops backing our version of events is probably a net negative tbh.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Canberra Raiders release George Williams immediately

Post by The Nickman »

Pete Cash wrote:
tommyhud9 wrote: May 26, 2021, 11:07 pm Ricky and Don must have private photos of Paul Kent, because any time anyone on the NRL360 desk tries to criticise the Raiders, PK immediately leaps to our defence. It is quite strange and honestly embarrassing.

We have had about 4-5 off-field dramas in the past 12 months and have gone from a top 4 contender to one of the worst sides in the comp.

Paul Kent had made it clear on a number of occasions that he is sick of players (and their managers) screwing the clubs over at the drop of a hat. His position on that is not unique to Canberra.

Contracts are worth Jack **** these days and on the whole it's the clubs that get dudded when a player wants out.
Haha yeah nah

Clubs will gladly **** a player over if they can. The salary cap makes it a cut throat business. There is no loyalty because the player wants every cent he can get and the club wants every dollar of that ten million performing

South's just sent a long serving club man that the fans love packing. We appear to be making the move to medically retire croker.

If Melbourne hadn't told a well liked club man in Richard Swain to hit the bricks at the end of the 02 season we would have signed a young fella called Cameron Smith but Melbourne made the cut throat decision to move Swain on.

Of course the players want to maximise their earnings before the club takes them to the glue factory. A salary cap makes loyalty bad business. We all like Jarrod croker as a human right and a club man but do we want him taking up the cap space he does ?
Yeah, none of these fans banging on about loyalty were up in arms after Aiden Sezer was unceremoniously shown the door following leading the club to its first grand final in twenty five years.

It’s hypocrisy at its absolute finest.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

GreenMachine wrote: May 27, 2021, 6:56 am I’m sick of people hiding behind “mental health” as a reason for their greed when I know people who actually have mental health problems...
This.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Postman Pat wrote: May 27, 2021, 12:17 am
Boomercm wrote:
GreenMachine wrote: May 26, 2021, 7:56 pm Played the game and lost...just like Johnneh...
I have zero sympathy...
yeah but everyone loses here, not just George. Good management strikes a firm but fair deal and has him leave quietly and on good-enough terms. Especially when there is no social capital left for the coaches and management to spend in 2021. This is a grade A disaster. No one will sign here for years
A grade A disaster is letting players call all the shoots and dictate the club, the clubs clearly already tried the softly softly approach. What do you want them to do? Organize the charter flight?
I would have at least wanted them to have the papers signed before going to the press. It seems like all year our hierarchy are prioritizing controlling the narrative in the press instead of doing their actual jobs
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Watching Hodgson go to the Press has been the most disappointing thing to me in the last 24 hours.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Wiki Special wrote:Watching Hodgson go to the Press has been the most disappointing thing to me in the last 24 hours.
only hours? I'd say years

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

and further. a drunk guy with a glass eye could see that if a guy comes from England, his wife isn't 100% settled, uncertainty around border closures at either end, and then they fall pregnant... he is a very strong chance to head home. They should have been opening those discussions with his wife and him before the question was even asked. I can't believe we didn't grant him a release at seasons end straight away. His distress would have been very real, and it appears all we had to do was reassure him he could go at years end. We should have offered this release before the question was even asked. Then he and his wife would have been settled and his head would have been in the right place.
Last edited by Boomercm on May 27, 2021, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

hobbsy wrote: May 27, 2021, 6:27 am I have to say I think its pretty sad seeing some of the comments on here. Its honestly no wonder men's mental health is such an issue.

A bloke comes out saying he's struggling and needs support and everyone starts laying the boot in and making assumptions about his character and motivations. Its pathetic. I'm glad at least the players and a fair chunk of neutral fans are backing George. Some things in life are far more important than football. Family and your own mental well being are probably the 2 biggest.
I’m sick of people implying the club ignored his mental health when it took the most direct action possible to address it. He was homesick and was allowed to go home.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

Crash Ball wrote: May 27, 2021, 7:40 am
hobbsy wrote: May 27, 2021, 6:27 am I have to say I think its pretty sad seeing some of the comments on here. Its honestly no wonder men's mental health is such an issue.

I’m sick of people implying the club ignored his mental health when it took the most direct action possible to address it. He was homesick and was allowed to go home.
His mental health would have been fine had we granted the release at seasons end ages ago. He (and most importantly his wife who was pregnant with their first child) would have just needed certainty around being able to leave before the bub was born and being able to provide for their family moving forward. I'm a a mental health professional. The club is at fault here. No doubt
Last edited by Boomercm on May 27, 2021, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

This - George williams go home, look after yourself.

Honestly, mental health should be treated not an excuse to just get whatever you want from your employer.

Same as physical sickness - go to the doctor and treat it - rest and recovery.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Pete Cash wrote: May 27, 2021, 7:11 am
Canberra Milk wrote: May 26, 2021, 11:47 pm The overwhelming consensus on Instagram is anti-Hoops. I don't get it at all. What was he wrong about exactly?!

True but Johnny Bateman comes off as childish
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

papabear wrote: May 27, 2021, 7:45 am

This - George williams go home, look after yourself.

Honestly, mental health should be treated not an excuse to just get whatever you want from your employer.

Same as physical sickness - go to the doctor and treat it - rest and recovery.
Yep, and obviously the cure to his issues is Money.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

Boomercm wrote: May 27, 2021, 7:44 am

His mental health would have been fine had we granted the release at seasons end ages ago. He (and most importantly his wife who was pregnant with their first child) would have just needed certainty around being able to leave before the bub was born and being able to provide for their family moving forward. I'm a a mental health professional. The club is at fault here. No doubt
You aren't in possession of all the facts. So don't imply you are rendering a professional judgement any more than the rest of us are.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

I legitimately think the fact Ricky is coach is playing a part. He is extremely unpopular - if we had any other coach our support levels would rise to varying degrees.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

Wiki Special wrote: May 27, 2021, 7:37 am Watching Hodgson go to the Press has been the most disappointing thing to me in the last 24 hours.
Agree in some ways. Though I can't help feel the club deserved it
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Honestly hodgo, i like you as a player but, instead of cry to the media claiming your not a bench player then prove it, let your performance on the field prove that otherwise catch ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

Crash Ball wrote: May 27, 2021, 7:56 am
Boomercm wrote: May 27, 2021, 7:44 am

You aren't in possession of all the facts. So don't imply you are rendering a professional judgement any more than the rest of us are.
Fair call. But there is enough situational evidence to make the year end release a very obvious one. Denying the release at years end, creating uncertainty for the family moving forward when they were pregnant with their first child... this would create mental health issues for many people. Particularly the wife. I am more than happy to support that comment professionally
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

To be clear my comment isn't in reference to anything the club did or didn't do. I'm specifically referring to the comments seen on here and in some parts of social media where people are denying his mental health issues are real and implying without knowing the full story that there are ulterior motives at play.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I quite like the hard stance the club has taken with George. It sets a very strong example.

George seems very popular with his teammates and I wonder if there might perhaps some sense that favourites are being played when he gets released immediately, doesn’t get to pass go or collect $200, but Croker looks likely to be paid out $600k for nearly 3 seasons for not playing.

I totally understand they are very very different circumstances both in terms of why careers are ending and in terms of service to the club, but I don’t think it’s inconceivable that the the discrepancy in payouts might rub some players the wrong way.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Add to that Billy that Papa had a couple of weeks off earlier this year because he wasnt in the best headspace, and was allowed the time away to get his house in order. Williams requests the same and his release is not only granted within hours, but bought forward 6 months and half his wage forfeited. Thats gonna cause some scars from the playing group, whichever side of the fence you sit on.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

papabear wrote: May 27, 2021, 7:47 am
Pete Cash wrote: May 27, 2021, 7:11 am

True but Johnny Bateman comes off as childish
Absolutely Bateman looks like a plonker too.

Its just neutral fans instinctively recoil in horror when they see Hoops. I mean just look at the bloke. Obviously I now hate rugby league and all it stands for but I used to watch the monday 360 which had Buzz and Hooper on it. The last time a panel that awful got together the tripartite pact was signed.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

hobbsy wrote: May 27, 2021, 8:13 am

To be clear my comment isn't in reference to anything the club did or didn't do. I'm specifically referring to the comments seen on here and in some parts of social media where people are denying his mental health issues are real and implying without knowing the full story that there are ulterior motives at play.
I have no doubt what so ever his mental health issues are real and legitimate
But i dont believe George's grievance about being released now as opposed to the end of the year has much if anything to do with those issues. His grievance on that front is about money. Which is fair enough too.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

If the club cared about mental health then why do they make me depressed every weekend
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Canberra Raiders release George Williams immediately

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Pete Cash wrote:If the club cared about mental health then why do they make me depressed every weekend
If the players cared about mental health, then why do they make me so depressed every weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Coastalraider wrote: May 27, 2021, 8:20 am Add to that Billy that Papa had a couple of weeks off earlier this year because he wasnt in the best headspace, and was allowed the time away to get his house in order. Williams requests the same and his release is not only granted within hours, but bought forward 6 months and half his wage forfeited. Thats gonna cause some scars from the playing group, whichever side of the fence you sit on.
We assume his wage was forfeited. I would be very surprised if he isn't receiving a decent chunk of his remaining wage for this year as part of the settlement. We have no grounds to sack him.
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

The recruitment of Hodgson and Whitehead was the start of successful couple of years for the Raiders. It was Ricky who got them here though and I'm going to back him to turn things around, not bash the **** out of him with my keyboard! We talk about mental health, well imagine how Ricky is feeling at the moment, sure things haven't been going well on the field but all these players and wives and that pelican Bateman kicking Ricky when he's down is weak, they're all weak! I'm glad Belcher came out in support of Ricky because he needs it right now. For me although we had one good year out of Bateman, he was the start of all of these issues and I've no doubt he's in the players ears now causing trouble.

I'd like to give Ricky a pat on the back and tell him to keep his chin up and just take a few hours to chill out without stressing about everything.

The worst thing for me is Hodgson reaching out to the media. I probably earn less than 10% of what he earns and I know if i publicly bagged my employer I wouldn't have a job anymore. They should suspend him or tell him to leave now. He's completely lost me, a little baby.

Ricky needs to get rid of baby Hodgson and my wife talks for me Tapine. Then sit the rest of the players down in an open meeting and ask if any others want a release, but if they do, the release must be signed that day. if they don't want out then stay, put the effort in and STFU! I don't care if we have 5 players leave and end up with Botman, PJ, Cat, Rickmando and GE replacing them, I just don't want these babies earning **** of money at our club anymore. I know Rapana is on his last legs, but we're going to miss him, no other player puts in the same amount of effort, even when playing poorly on one leg, he's still trying his best.

For me next year we need a hooker and a fullback or a halfback and in the position that misses out promote internally, concentrate on youth. Then replace the assistants, if Ricky isn't quite up to it, he needs some help that is. I'm not looking to see who's on and off contract but I guess Rapana, Soliola and Lui are going and add to that G Willy, Hodgson and Tapine. How much will that give us, 2.5 mill? Surely we can get a couple of good players and squad fillers with that.

1: Savage?
2: CNK.
3: Timoko. I'd like to see him kick on, I think he'll turn into a mongrel player. We also have HSS or Kris if his D improves.
4: Scott.
5: Valemei.
6: Wighton.
7: Schneider?
8: Papa.
9: Starling.
10: Guler.
11: Whitehead.
12: CHN.
13: Sutton.

14:?
15: Rushton.
16: James.
17: Young.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

The problem with telling Tapine (signed to the end of 2023) to hit the road is that clubs will sense blood in the water and want us to pay a fair bit of freight on him. I would be furious if we end up covering a cent of his contract because he is an excellent player and I would rather we try and mediate the situation rather than just going to the worst option which is paying i dont know the roosters to take one of our best players
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Gary Belcher was very much in support of the club, and anti players leaving mid-contract. Said how he gave up everything to take the Canberra contract, even when his wife's mum was very sick and she wanted nothing more than to be back home. I feel there's a generational thing here too. The players today know it's a business, and like any business, both parties will primarily act in self-interest, and try to meet in the middle. There's no "sacrifice for the club" mentality - or, interestingly, that may just be part of the problem - Ricky is trying to enforce that mentality on new young players, that old school mentality, but they just don't have that attitude anymore

You wouldn't think you'd have to coach players to care, but that seems part of a head coach's role now across the board. Adam O'Brien is having same issue at Newcastle
Last edited by greeneyed on May 27, 2021, 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Factual correction
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Pete Cash wrote: May 27, 2021, 7:02 am

Haha yeah nah

I think you'll find that clubs can't just tear up a contract without due cause. Players may be told they are welcome to find another club, or a contract may not be extended, but the club is still contractually obligated to pay them what they are due.

On the other hand, players can basically just walk out of a contract or phone it in until they are released. Happens all the time. For years the NRL have allowed players who have been sacked for disciplinary reasons to sign with another club within weeks.

High quality players and their managers hold all the power here and have for some time. If there is a better offer on the table there are a ton of ways to cash in. Mental health, homesickness and pregnant partners are all common reasons
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Pete Cash wrote: May 27, 2021, 8:53 am The problem with telling Tapine (signed to the end of 2023) to hit the road is that clubs will sense blood in the water and want us to pay a fair bit of freight on him. I would be furious if we end up covering a cent of his contract because he is an excellent player and I would rather we try and mediate the situation rather than just going to the worst option which is paying i dont know the roosters to take one of our best players
The only time a club has to pay freight on a contract is when the player is not worth their current deal. Case in point Lodge heading to Knights. They wouldn't be taking him in the current contract value. Guys like Tapine and Hodgo wouldn't have any such issue. Their deals are pretty close to market value. Quite a lot of clubs without a decent hooker would gladly pick up Hodgo. Tapine would upgrade just about any middle forward group.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 27, 2021, 8:59 am Gary Belcher was very much in support of the club, and anti players leaving mid-contract. Said how he gave up everything to take the Canberra contract, even when his mum was very sick and wanted nothing more than for him to be back home. I feel there's a generational thing here too. The players today know it's a business, and like any business, both parties will primarily act in self-interest, and try to meet in the middle. There's no "sacrifice for the club" mentality - or, interestingly, that may just be part of the problem - Ricky is trying to enforce that mentality on new young players, that old school mentality, but they just don't have that attitude anymore

You wouldn't think you'd have to coach players to care, but that seems part of a head coach's role now across the board. Adam O'Brien is having same issue at Newcastle
Yeah Stick really showed how much the club cared when he marched Campo out the door because he was busted.

It seems what fans want is undying loyalty from the players towards the club but also the club to happily just knife a player the second they are not good value any more.