Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Manbush »

Azza wrote: August 26, 2021, 12:10 pm I had absolutely no reaction to AZ, interesting to see the variability in reactions.
Same no reaction for me but an old friend had to go to hospital after hers, she’s still glad she had it though as it worried her how she would’ve handled the delta strain.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Question wrote: August 26, 2021, 7:20 pm I'm not anti vax mate , im just concerned about a horribly rushed vaccines long term side effects ala children of thalidomide.
They weren't horribly rushed. SARS-CoV-2 is another name for Covid-19. They've been researching these areas for over 10 years when this kicked off. If they hadn't been we wouldn't have the vaccines. The amount of resources and focus that have been heaped on them means they haven't had to wait in queues for approvals or lab time.

As for the long term side effects I heard it's just your dick that falls off.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

zim wrote: August 26, 2021, 8:58 pm
Question wrote: August 26, 2021, 7:20 pm I'm not anti vax mate , im just concerned about a horribly rushed vaccines long term side effects ala children of thalidomide.
They weren't horribly rushed. SARS-CoV-2 is another name for Covid-19. They've been researching these areas for over 10 years when this kicked off. If they hadn't been we wouldn't have the vaccines. The amount of resources and focus that have been heaped on them means they haven't had to wait in queues for approvals or lab time.

As for the long term side effects I heard it's just your dick that falls off.
I’m finished with mine anyway.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

You'll have to sit down to pee
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 26, 2021, 9:11 pm You'll have to sit down to pee
I’ve got marathon knees, I do that anyway.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Canberra outbreak.

Shows how fast this can tear through schools. When it comes to 80% with double doses Barr talks about this being 12 and over but I feel a lot of the other states are talking 16+

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Yeah wow, that’s the kid of data I don’t see from nsw.

I’d like to see that overlaid with hospitalisation rates to see if youth are actually being seriously effected. And also like to see actual results toon in transmission rates from vaccination in youth. There may be very little we can do to stop children getting and spreading, but if they are not seriously effected it’s a conundrum.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:Yeah wow, that’s the kid of data I don’t see from nsw.

I’d like to see that overlaid with hospitalisation rates to see if youth are actually being seriously effected. And also like to see actual results toon in transmission rates from vaccination in youth. There may be very little we can do to stop children getting and spreading, but if they are not seriously effected it’s a conundrum.
Data from overseas is that the severity in children is similar to Covid Lite. About 2% hospitalisation rate in children. I suspect that is an over estimate as it is likely in those countries case detection is less than ideal, hence the true denominator is higher. Certainly the recent Brisbane outbreak was largely children, none of whom where very unwell.

It's an ongoing debate, which is academic for the time being as none of the vaccines are approved for under 12.

Weren't Federal Cabinet meant to deliberate on the 12 to 16 year olds this week? Is that today?

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 27, 2021, 8:10 am

Data from overseas is that the severity in children is similar to Covid Lite. About 2% hospitalisation rate in children. I suspect that is an over estimate as it is likely in those countries case detection is less than ideal, hence the true denominator is higher. Certainly the recent Brisbane outbreak was largely children, none of whom where very unwell.

It's an ongoing debate, which is academic for the time being as none of the vaccines are approved for under 12.

Weren't Federal Cabinet meant to deliberate on the 12 to 16 year olds this week? Is that today?
Yep, today

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

The piece of missing info during the latest outbreak in Brisbane among school kids was how many actually felt sick. This was never really publicised. I'd say consciously so not to risk public apathy towards lockdown measures. Could argue that was a wise move.

Once we hit vaccination targets the metrics could change from measuring COVID positives to focus on Serious Cases. Appears to be the case in UK with more than 1.2 million active cases yet only 950 regarded as Serious. It will always be life threatening for the old and vulnerable but no more than many other common illnesses. That's the end game as it will never be totally eliminated.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

T_R wrote: August 27, 2021, 8:48 am

Yep, today
Its been approved for 12 years and above
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

885 cases in NSW

79 cases in Victoria, with up to 60 infectious in the community.

70 cases in New Zealand

21 cases in the ACT.

NSW might have been painfully slow out of the blocks, but various jurisdictions are discovering first hand that smothering delta isn't as easy as it seems.

You get the feeling that Melbourne and Auckland are going to have to vax their way out of this.

Given the low vaccination rates in some states, you would hope that other state leaders are paying attention and stop taking victory laps lest they fall on their face.
Last edited by Dr Zaius on August 27, 2021, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

This article was shared by Norman Swan. I would suggest not reading if you would prefer to comprehend the "opening up" debate as a simple and clear dichotomy between those who love freedom and the bad premiers who want to live in the cave forever.

It is highly inconvenient and highly troubling.
Last edited by Mickey_Raider on August 27, 2021, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up The Milk
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 27, 2021, 12:39 pm 79 cases in Victoria, with up to 80 infectious in the community.
Victoria the first state to manage to record a day with every case infectious in the community with a surplus.
Up The Milk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: August 27, 2021, 12:39 pm 79 cases in Victoria, with up to 80 infectious in the community.
Victoria the first state to manage to record a day with every case infectious in the community with a surplus.
Image. Just keeping you on your toes.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Mickey_Raider wrote:

This article was shared by Norman Swan. I would suggest not reading if you would prefer to comprehend the "opening up" debate as a simple and clear dichotomy between those who love freedom and the bad premiers who want to live in the cave forever.

It's not a simple and clear dichotomy, people buying that line are foolish. Obviously different premiers have different perspectives depending on how they are currently faring, and place somewhere on a spectrum. NSW and I suspect Victoria aren't getting out of this without an exit wave. Queensland will come to the table - they need visitors from the southern states.

ScoMo is an idiot, and to be honest I have given up listening to him ages ago. He has minimal impact on what happens in each state anyway. I don't think that Dan or Gladys are anticipating hitting 80% and releasing the hand break. That opening up is complete removal of restrictions is a false narrative, it simply won't happen. They will be eased off, and slammed back on depending on surges and hospital capacity.

Down the other end of the spectrum you have WA. I've no idea what he is thinking, but it wouldn't surprise me if he clings to covid free as it is politically popular. Ultimately though, public sentiment will change as they will be in a position where next to no one will be able to come and go from the state, and breaches with lock downs will likely continue to occur, as more delta spreads in other states, and taken into WA via transport workers.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Did you all hear about this one ?

A NSW woman has been caught trying to cross into QLD. She was hiding in the boot of her car. Her car was on the back of a tow truck..

$4135 fine thanks love.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

It was the 3rd time too wasn't it?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: August 27, 2021, 2:26 pm Did you all hear about this one ?

A NSW woman has been caught trying to cross into QLD. She was hiding in the boot of her car. Her car was on the back of a tow truck..

$4135 fine thanks love.
Well that’s a new one.

How did she get caught? Surely the cops are popping the boot of every car carrier across the border? The day the border opened last time I drove through in a small truck and they didn’t even stop me to check my papers??
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

zim wrote: August 27, 2021, 2:39 pm It was the 3rd time too wasn't it?
Ha.Yes.Serial Idiot.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Can Doc or anyone else clarify for me.. the 70-80% targets for vaccine, is that first jab or fully vax? I had presumed fully vax for obvious reasons, but Hunt has just quoted australia only needs 3 million people to reach 70% first jab in relation to restrictions easing. Not sure why he would reference it unless it was relevant?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I assume they would ease restrictions somewhat at 70% first jab, but it will only be "life back to normal, with very limited use of lockdowns" when we get to 70-80% fully dosed.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mickey_Raider wrote: August 27, 2021, 12:53 pm

It is a scary read and a must read. Particularly as the data in so many of the modelled scenarios are cut off while the number of new cases has not peaked. The manner in which this is being presented by the federal and NSW governments is, to put it politely, misrepresentation. How all the State governments "signed up", on the basis of what is in that report, is astounding. Frankly, they have every right to walk away from the "national agreement", because it is poorly based public policy.

Niki Savva, who is a conservative media commentator, who worked for Peter Costello when he was Treasurer, has described the vaccination roll out as one of the worst public policy failures ever in Australia: https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 58ln6.html

Well it could be about to be topped... The thing that might save us is (most) State and Territory governments.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:Can Doc or anyone else clarify for me.. the 70-80% targets for vaccine, is that first jab or fully vax? I had presumed fully vax for obvious reasons, but Hunt has just quoted australia only needs 3 million people to reach 70% first jab in relation to restrictions easing. Not sure why he would reference it unless it was relevant?
It's full jab. Hunt is an idiot.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Schifty wrote: August 26, 2021, 7:47 pm First jab done.

Originally was for September 10 but for last week and bit I've been logging onto mydhr website and hitting reschedule. Very occasionally earlier ones would pop up but you have to be super quick.

Managed to get to September 6 and then on Tuesday night and August 26th popped up so I grabbed it.

Only side effect so far is that I am now a Sarcastic, Cynical ****
How did you manage that? Did you just check on it once in a while, or were you constantly checking the availability a couple hundred times a day?
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Sterlk wrote: August 27, 2021, 5:08 pm
Schifty wrote: August 26, 2021, 7:47 pm First jab done.

Originally was for September 10 but for last week and bit I've been logging onto mydhr website and hitting reschedule. Very occasionally earlier ones would pop up but you have to be super quick.

Managed to get to September 6 and then on Tuesday night and August 26th popped up so I grabbed it.

Only side effect so far is that I am now a Sarcastic, Cynical ****
How did you manage that? Did you just check on it once in a while, or were you constantly checking the availability a couple hundred times a day?
Somewhere between the 2 :lol:

Nah when I had a spare 5 minutes I would check it a few times in that window, when the first date was after original I'd hit start again.

WIth so many people in lockdown appointments were going to pop up..
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

90% of Canberrans in the 30-39 age group have had at least one shot or are booked in for their first shot.

We should be running the country.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

COVID in WA, there ya go Mr McGowan.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NSW now hiding key facts about the spread of COVID in Sydney: https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavir ... 8a352337af

They've stopped publishing all exposure sites, and now they're refusing to reveal how many unexplained cases there are and how many cases have been infectious in the community.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: August 27, 2021, 8:00 pm COVID in WA, there ya go Mr McGowan.
Two truck drivers bring Covid from NSW to WA, four contacts identified: https://www.news.com.au/national/wester ... 7099a8bc69

Thanks to Gladys.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:NSW now hiding key facts about the spread of COVID in Sydney: https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavir ... 8a352337af

They've stopped publishing all exposure sites, and now they're refusing to reveal how many unexplained cases there are and how many cases have been infectious in the community.
That's not correct. They are reporting, just not the next day.

“The number of cases infectious in the community also is an indicator of ongoing risk. But with high case numbers it’s not possible to complete all the investigations needed to determine these between 8pm and the 11am press conference … and incomplete information is not very helpful,” Professor Bennett explained.

“Weekly reports allow us to see how the outbreak is tracing with more complete information and with the daily bumps smoothed to weekly averages.”

And they have moved to only reporting high risk exposure sights, not Woolworths Wentworthville between 1137 and 1141am. There were literally thousands of sites, most of which were low risk, and made it confusing. But hey, continue to rant.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 27, 2021, 11:48 pm
greeneyed wrote:NSW now hiding key facts about the spread of COVID in Sydney: https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavir ... 8a352337af

“The number of cases infectious in the community also is an indicator of ongoing risk. But with high case numbers it’s not possible to complete all the investigations needed to determine these between 8pm and the 11am press conference … and incomplete information is not very helpful,” Professor Bennett explained.

“Weekly reports allow us to see how the outbreak is tracing with more complete information and with the daily bumps smoothed to weekly averages.”

And they have moved to only reporting high risk exposure sights, not Woolworths Wentworthville between 1137 and 1141am. There were literally thousands of sites, most of which were low risk, and made it confusing. But hey, continue to rant.
There's no ranting. Considering the significant failures of the NSW Premier and Government... and the significant consequences for the rest of Australia, I'm being quite measured and contained. It is a poor excuse to say that "incomplete information isn't helpful". There is no reason to conceal it, for the NSW government to refuse to be transparent.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: August 27, 2021, 11:48 pm

There's no ranting. Considering the significant failures of the NSW Premier and Government... and the significant consequences for the rest of Australia, I'm being quite measured and contained. It is a poor excuse to say that "incomplete information isn't helpful". There is no reason to conceal it, for the NSW government to refuse to be transparent.
Did you even read the explanation?

They are not concealing it, they are simply publishing it weekly once they have had time to gather all of the information.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I did read their three sentence explanation. I also read Catherine Bennett’s comments. But I don’t believe there’s any reason for the NSW government to be any less transparent with the data than they have been… apart from the political inconvenience. The outbreak is still surging. Were being told we should be opening up soon… when vaccination rates reach certain levels. A critical assumption behind the modelling that supports that plan is that there is adequate contract tracing and quarantining. We should be being given information they have on what they’ve traced and whether people are infectious in the community. There’s no reason they can’t do daily and weekly analyses. Why not have both? The article suggests why.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:I did read their three sentence explanation. I also read Catherine Bennett’s comments. But I don’t believe there’s any reason for the NSW government to be any less transparent with the data than they have been… apart from the political inconvenience. The outbreak is still surging. Were being told we should be opening up soon… when vaccination rates reach certain levels. A critical assumption behind the modelling that supports that plan is that there is adequate contract tracing and quarantining. We should be being given information they have on what they’ve traced and whether people are infectious in the community. There’s no reason they can’t do daily and weekly analyses. Why not have both? The article suggests why.
They are not being less transparent, they are publishing data at the end of the week. What difference does it make whether they report part data then and there, or complete data later in the week? It's a fair assumption that the overwhelming majority were active in the community.

The way data is reported is going to shift significantly over the coming months as focus moves from case numbers to hospitalisations.