Did you know... and other useless trivia

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Did you know... and other useless trivia

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Ohh snap. I’ve heard either Stairway to Heaven or Beelzeboss, but I’m not 100%
It’s Stairway to Heaven. Listen to the song again, at the very end, the very very end, they play the opening chord from Stairway to Heaven.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

The shower water on Alcatraz was intentionally kept very hot. The reason? So prisoner's wouldn't get used to cold water and be able to swim to shore if they escaped
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Here you go

Useless trivia and other stuff.

I've always liked old school v8s.

I like the smell and sound of 60s and 70s v8s

I've never known true love.

My life feels like it's a waste on someone better.

Yet, I still feel a sense of peace and calm.

It's not worth squabbling over differences. It's the ability and kindness to overlook that which makes us human.

We're all the same.

But we're also different

No wonder we hurt ourselves .

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Everything ok, dubs?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah you ok Dubs?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Next time you're watching a whodunnit movie, you can eliminate the bad guys by seeing who is using an iphone. Apple will only allow iPhones to be placed in movies if bad characters don't use them

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Volkswagen sells more sausages than cars. The company's cafeteria would make the from scratch since inception, and in the 1970's they realised sausages would make a good side hustle

Nickman's love of NSW
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Garage door up at 11-30am Saturday morning dubby..

We’ll get absolutely loaded and watch the footy..

Good times.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Deep Roy, of 2005's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory fame, played all 165 Oompa Loompas in the movie. This required him to perform seperate acts for each character, and he successfully negotiated to be paid per character.

He was one of the highest paid cast members in the film

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

In the 1700s, King Louis XIV and other males began wearing high heels as a sign of status. They became extremely popular amongst men, and a race for increasingly higher heels began. Eventually heel heights were regulated; ½ inch for commoners, 1 inch for the bourgeois, 1½ inches for knights, 2 inches for nobles and 2½ inches for princes

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The image below is the Choluteca Bridge in Honduras. It was built in 1998 to go over the river, as bridges are meant to, however in 1998 Honduras was hit by Hurricane Mitch. The hurricane rerouted the river and destroyed the roads on either side of the bridge. It's now known as 'The bridge to nowhere'.

There's probably a lesson in this, around fixing something to solve a problem now, vs coming up with a future proof solution

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The modern carousel emerged from early jousting traditions Medieval times. Knights would gallop in a circle while tossing balls from one to another.

The word carousel originated from the Italian Carosella and Spanish Carosella "Little battle", used by crusaders to describe a combat preparation exercise and game played by Turkish and Arabian horsemen in the 12th century.

By the 17th century, the balls had been replaced with small rings that were hanging from poles overhead that the riders had to rip off with spears. The game began to be played by commoners, and carousels soon sprung up at fairgrounds across Europe.

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

When Medieval monks would fast for religious reasons they would sometimes drink lots of beer instead of eating food, since drinking did not count as "food".

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

This one spun me out. It makes complete sense, but realising it tripped me out.

Although Usain Bolt has won 8 gold medals in the Olympics, he only ran for 114 seconds in the finals.
When you include the preliminary rounds, Bolt has spent only 325 seconds, or 5.4 minutes, on the Olympics track.

This means that he has got a gold medal for every 36 seconds, including qualifying rounds.

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Probably my favourite useless trivia of the year so far.

This dude is George Dantzig. After arriving late to a College class, George frantically copied two problems off the blackboard, assuming they were homework. He goes home, and solves them.

Seems like a story we can all relate to right? Turns out the class he was late to was about these two unsolved statistics problems. By arriving late to class and solving these unsolved problems, he earned his PhD

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Saw an interesting NRL piece of trivia. Only 2 players who featured on the NRL Rugby League 2 game are still playing. Can you guess who?

Hint: The game was released in 2005

Nickman's love of NSW
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Benji and…
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Sia?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

That’d be right, miss the one right under my nose!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Correct. Benji and Sia

Nickman's love of NSW
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I’ve heard of all nrl clubs our boys have the best winning % at AAMI Park.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

It’s illegal to eat a bin chicken in NSW.

But in QLD it’s ok.

A Vietnamese man has been dragged to court this morning in Sydney for killing and cooking a bin chicken. He’s been released with strict conditions including been told to stay away from ALL Australian bird life and report to police twice weekly.

When asked by the magistrate if he understood the conditions he nodded. His lawyer said the defendant is very confused because “he’s allowed to eat em in QLD”
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

-PJ- wrote:It’s illegal to eat a bin chicken in NSW.

But in QLD it’s ok.

A Vietnamese man has been dragged to court this morning in Sydney for killing and cooking a bin chicken. He’s been released with strict conditions including been told to stay away from ALL Australian bird life and report to police twice weekly.

When asked by the magistrate if he understood the conditions he nodded. His lawyer said the defendant is very confused because “he’s allowed to eat em in QLD”
Yeah wondered why KFC stocks in QLD were no issue during Covid while other states ran out of chickenImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Did you know..

Australian bank notes have a raised bump/bumps for vision impaired people ?

$5 has 1
$10 has 2
$20 has 3
$50 has 4
$100 has 5.