Canberra Raiders miss signing Tyrone Peachey

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders consider signing Tyrone Peachey

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Matt wrote: September 15, 2021, 2:45 pm Here is an interesting thought...
Raiders setting up for:
Hodgo 7
Starling 9
Peach 13, or at least 14 and playing many mins at 13
I'm in the minority on this but I think we give Hodgson the 9, he had an interrupted pre season coming back from an ACL. I'm looking forward to Savage running off Hodgson and then Starling later in the match. Could be good combinations.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

greeneyed wrote: September 15, 2021, 2:15 pm
Botman wrote: September 15, 2021, 1:33 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 15, 2021, 1:23 pm
Botman wrote: September 15, 2021, 1:09 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 15, 2021, 12:57 pm If he's minimum contract or a NSW Cup contract, can't hurt I guess.
:shock:
He's just been released by the Gold Coast Titans!
If you've watched him play and think he's a minimum contract or NSW cup level player, then i can't take anything else you've got to say about RL seriously.
OK, so I'm exaggerating. But according to this:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/gold- ... 0aa517cb3c

he was on half a million a season at the Titans. He's just been released, and almost half his games in 2021 were off the bench. He was well overpaid. Minimum is $120k in 2021. I wouldn't want to see the Raiders tie up a whole lot of cap space with a deal for Peachey, when the Raiders are only looking at him as a utility... when we need good cap space for a real halfback.
Yet you’ve been ok with the club absolutely lighting money on fire paying Croker way more than that these past few years? To play a less impactful position? (in terms of how the modern game is played)

I’m not the world’s greatest Peachey fan. But provided they give him a contract length appropriate for his age, we would be adding a type of player to the squad we don’t currently have.

It’s good business to be investing in this type of player when you look through the lens of how you build a 30 man squad for 2022. If Peachey is the best that is available then let’s go for it and moneyball it here, adding him won’t hurt us.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That’s what I’m saying. You don’t want to spend much of your cap on Tyrone Peachey.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Great modern day lock. Get it done
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Two year deal as a bench player on NRL average money would be ok imo. Can cover lock and 5/8 and backline. He has played more than 20 games in each of the past 3 years so injury not a major issue for him.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: September 15, 2021, 4:52 pm That’s what I’m saying. You don’t want to spend much of your cap on Tyrone Peachey.
He was willing to land a new contract at the Titans on a reduced deal going by reports from a couple months back... if the Titans didn't want to take him on a deal reduced from $500k, then I can't imagine we'd be offering any more than say $350k
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 15, 2021, 4:27 pm
Raiders setting up for:
Hodgo 7
Starling 9
I'm in the minority on this but I think we give Hodgson the 9, he had an interrupted pre season coming back from an ACL. I'm looking forward to Savage running off Hodgson and then Starling later in the match. Could be good combinations.
Im with you actually. I dont think we are a better side with Starlo as our #1 hooker. I liked the Hodgo/Starlo 1-2 punch, and I like the options and width it gives us. I'd continue with that setup.

The only other way to fit those 3 guys in, is that they all play 40-50 mins between the 9 and 13. That would be a tricky balancing act, but possible.

I can see Hodgo being moved on next yr, so Trevilyan better be ready for at least playing a bit part by the back end of next yr, or we'll be in the market for a 9.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Raiders setting up for:
Hodgo 7
Starling 9
I think Hodgson is far more likely to move on than for this to happen... could be wrong though
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: September 15, 2021, 6:01 pm
Raiders setting up for:
Hodgo 7
Starling 9
Im with you actually. I dont think we are a better side with Starlo as our #1 hooker. I liked the Hodgo/Starlo 1-2 punch, and I like the options and width it gives us. I'd continue with that setup.

The only other way to fit those 3 guys in, is that they all play 40-50 mins between the 9 and 13. That would be a tricky balancing act, but possible.

I can see Hodgo being moved on next yr, so Trevilyan better be ready for at least playing a bit part by the back end of next yr, or we'll be in the market for a 9.
There were a couple games where I too thought the one two punch worked very well for us but it seems that Hodgson is not a fan. And my view is if he's a 50-60min player, he needs to be paid accordingly. As much as I'd like Hodgson to find his groove in his new role and play for us, it just seems better for both parties if we part ways.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 15, 2021, 6:51 pm There were a couple games where I too thought the one two punch worked very well for us but it seems that Hodgson is not a fan. And my view is if he's a 50-60min player, he needs to be paid accordingly. As much as I'd like Hodgson to find his groove in his new role and play for us, it just seems better for both parties if we part ways.
Yep I felt like Hodgson was never really happy about it
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 15, 2021, 6:51 pm
Matt wrote: September 15, 2021, 6:01 pm
Raiders setting up for:
Hodgo 7
Starling 9

There were a couple games where I too thought the one two punch worked very well for us but it seems that Hodgson is not a fan. And my view is if he's a 50-60min player, he needs to be paid accordingly. As much as I'd like Hodgson to find his groove in his new role and play for us, it just seems better for both parties if we part ways.
Well if hodgo isn't a fan of what the coach wants then he is no longer picked. Send him packing. His crash ball city and kick early plans infuriate me.
Not a team player. Cya
Thanks for the memories
Of crash balls
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

Peachy in for Havili.... in that context.... we could do worse
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

nachopants wrote: September 15, 2021, 9:20 pm Peachy in for Havili.... in that context.... we could do worse
Exactly. Lose a surplus hooker utility (when are flush with hookers) suited to grindball, gain lock utility more suited to vlandysball and our need for passing.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raiders_Pat wrote:
Raiders setting up for:
Hodgo 7
Starling 9
I think Hodgson is far more likely to move on than for this to happen... could be wrong though
We'd be giving him the keys to the wagon

You'd think with his style he'd love that

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I really hoping he isnt being considered as a 7. Just saying...

Aa a utility... i like the idea.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

benda wrote: September 16, 2021, 12:20 am I really hoping he isnt being considered as a 7. Just saying...

While watching the ESL the other day, I heard a really nice line - simplistic yet nice. They were saying that as a 9 you are used to thinking about who to give the ball to so they can do something with it. As a 7 you have to know what to do with it, and the transition isn't all that easy.

And that's why I don't think Hodgo will ever be a halfback.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Lui_Bon wrote: September 16, 2021, 12:35 am
benda wrote: September 16, 2021, 12:20 am I really hoping he isnt being considered as a 7. Just saying...

While watching the ESL the other day, I heard a really nice line - simplistic yet nice. They were saying that as a 9 you are used to thinking about who to give the ball to so they can do something with it. As a 7 you have to know what to do with it, and the transition isn't all that easy.

And that's why I don't think Hodgo will ever be a halfback.
And that’s without the fact that Hodgson is not ever going to be feared by the defence when it comes to taking on the line and running the ball.

He’s not a halfback and it’d be a further step backwards to put a #7 on his back.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote: September 15, 2021, 12:57 pm If he's minimum contract or a NSW Cup contract, can't hurt I guess.
Who made the finals.

We didn't
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

We will bring him in on sensible money for 1 year. After 6 rounds he will have an above average game at which point we will extend him for 6 years on $700k with 4 more years in his favour. It’s just what we do….
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

dubby wrote: September 16, 2021, 1:49 am
Who made the finals.

We didn't
Who won as many games as the Raiders did.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

given we seem to be at very long odds to sign a halfback that can organise and turn us in to an above average attacking side through set plays etc the next best option is probably to become an unpredictable adlib attacking side and hope we get on a roll at the right time through the likes of Savage, starling, CHN, and hopefully the decent version on Wighton. Peachey helps with this sort of game plan and provides good injury cover at centre, half(as a 4th or 5th choice option) second row and lock. no problem with offering him 300k or thereabouts
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: September 16, 2021, 7:36 am
Who made the finals.

We didn't
Who scored 100 more points this season than the team playing props and their 2nd best hooker at lock all year...
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

kiwi raider wrote: September 16, 2021, 7:48 am given we seem to be at very long odds to sign a halfback that can organise and turn us in to an above average attacking side through set plays etc the next best option is probably to become an unpredictable adlib attacking side and hope we get on a roll at the right time through the likes of Savage, starling, CHN, and hopefully the decent version on Wighton. Peachey helps with this sort of game plan and provides good injury cover at centre, half(as a 4th or 5th choice option) second row and lock. no problem with offering him 300k or thereabouts
Yep, between him and Schneider we wouldn't have to see a Williams/Frawley or Whitehead in the halves all season even with 2 injuries/origin. We lack edge cover. We've been playing props and hookers at lock. He makes sense. Won't cost much as he hasn't been offered anything elsewhere in NRL, origin experience, not too old yet. I hope it happens.
badsall1
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: campo

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by badsall1 »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 15, 2021, 12:00 pm He was on $500k on his last deal and he knows he's not getting more so you'd probably get him in for $250-300k which is great value. I don't see why not. At best, he could be a regular in the 17, at worst, he's a great utility that can do a job in several positions if injury strikes.
I doubt we would get him for a low fee. We have no one lining up to come to raiders next season. We are just as desperate to sign someone as he is for a contract. After living on the Gold Coast Canberra's not that attractive.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Some people say Titans finished on the same level of points as us, and he's not good enough. Using that analogy, no one should ever recruit from Canterbury, the last placed side. I bet you Nick Meaney will be a gun next year for the Storm, as was Reimis Smith this year, who was far way better than our centres. While I am not the biggest fan of Peachey as he makes errors and can be lazy in defence, we need some new blood in our squad, he plays off the cuff football and has pace, which is suited to the modern game. The performance of the team was not good enough this year.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

badsall1 wrote: September 16, 2021, 9:23 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: September 15, 2021, 12:00 pm He was on $500k on his last deal and he knows he's not getting more so you'd probably get him in for $250-300k which is great value. I don't see why not. At best, he could be a regular in the 17, at worst, he's a great utility that can do a job in several positions if injury strikes.
I doubt we would get him for a low fee. We have no one lining up to come to raiders next season. We are just as desperate to sign someone as he is for a contract. After living on the Gold Coast Canberra's not that attractive.
Peaches current options are GC and no paycheck or Canberra and NRL career, or ESL- worse weather than Canberra and no more money + family travel issues with covid. I don't see why we would have to break the bank to get Peach. He's been advertised as available all season and no takers yet.

I've no doubt he'll get an offer or 2 but no one is in a bidding war for Peachey.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

BadnMean wrote: September 16, 2021, 9:34 am
badsall1 wrote: September 16, 2021, 9:23 am
Peaches current options are GC and no paycheck or Canberra and NRL career, or ESL- worse weather than Canberra and no more money + family travel issues with covid. I don't see why we would have to break the bank to get Peach. He's been advertised as available all season and no takers yet.

I've no doubt he'll get an offer or 2 but no one is in a bidding war for Peachey.
I don't want us to get into a bidding war. But there must be a reason why there have been no takers. The games I've watched the GC play he has been OK to good. Although we may want to save money for the likes of Manu or Brandon Smith, it's very unlikely that we can get them as there will be interest from at least 4 clubs, and their existing clubs want to resign them. That's also got to be taken into account when we recruit.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

BadnMean wrote: September 16, 2021, 8:30 am
kiwi raider wrote: September 16, 2021, 7:48 am given we seem to be at very long odds to sign a halfback that can organise and turn us in to an above average attacking side through set plays etc the next best option is probably to become an unpredictable adlib attacking side and hope we get on a roll at the right time through the likes of Savage, starling, CHN, and hopefully the decent version on Wighton. Peachey helps with this sort of game plan and provides good injury cover at centre, half(as a 4th or 5th choice option) second row and lock. no problem with offering him 300k or thereabouts
Yep, between him and Schneider we wouldn't have to see a Williams/Frawley or Whitehead in the halves all season even with 2 injuries/origin. We lack edge cover. We've been playing props and hookers at lock. He makes sense. Won't cost much as he hasn't been offered anything elsewhere in NRL, origin experience, not too old yet. I hope it happens.
Surely that's incentive to give him a contract in itself !
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I think Peachey is worth a punt if we plan to use him as a bench utility. Him, Starling and two props is a very well balanced bench.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

1. CNK
2. Savage
3. HSS
4. Timoko
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. CHN
12. Young
13. Whitehead

14. Starling
15. Peachey
16. Sutton
17. Guler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The bigger question is, if we do sign him, how many above average games will he need to play in order to qualify as a great club man worthy of keeping around the club in a back room job?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Billy Walker wrote:The bigger question is, if we do sign him, how many above average games will he need to play in order to qualify as a great club man worthy of keeping around the club in a back room job?
Good to see your latest iteration is just as punishing as your last alts

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: September 16, 2021, 12:11 pm
Billy Walker wrote:The bigger question is, if we do sign him, how many above average games will he need to play in order to qualify as a great club man worthy of keeping around the club in a back room job?
Good to see your latest iteration is just as punishing as your last alts

I don’t understand what you’re saying
dubby
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders consider sig8ning Tyrone Peachey

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote: September 16, 2021, 7:36 am
Who made the finals.

We didn't
But we didn't make the finals
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I'm a fan of Peachey.....if he's used correctly.

He's not a game manager. He's not your general.

He's an x factor.

Let him play off the cuff, and I really believe he's a dynamic player.

Burden him with responsibility? He ain't got time for that.

The real question is.....does our dour, robotic coach let Peach be Peach?

I highly doubt it