Canberra Raiders' Joe Tapine still considering COVID vaccine options

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders' Joe Tapine still considering COVID vaccine options

Post by greeneyed »

Andrew Barr opts against making vaccination compulsory to attend Canberra's stadiums

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr has effectively ruled out vaccination being a requirement of entry into Canberra's major sporting venues once society starts opening up again. Barr also said the cost of the coronavirus pandemic will push back a new Civic Stadium.

"We don't think, given the way our vaccination program is tracking, that we will need to create a two-tiered society. I hope will end up being 95 per cent-plus double dosed," Barr said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14264
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Andrew Barr opts against making vaccination compulsory to attend Canberra's stadiums

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Cat’s gonna love this
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
sms316
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Austin 3:16

Re: Andrew Barr opts against making vaccination compulsory to attend Canberra's stadiums

Post by sms316 »

You get what you vote for. 🙄
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

:lol: He was never building the new civic stadium, COVID or not.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:Image He was never building the new civic stadium, COVID or not.
Exactly. There'll be a new excuse every couple of years.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 18, 2021, 4:43 pm Cat’s gonna love this
ACT might be 95% but will the surrounding suburbs? Queensland fans that visit?

Is the ACT going to expect all visitors to be vaccinated? It will be interesting to see how this actually goes
Vaccinated
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote::lol: He was never building the new civic stadium, COVID or not.
Spot on Pig.

Bring back Raidersfan who argued with me repeatedly when I raised that Barr would have one excuse after another for not building the Civic stadium. Raidersfan had it definitely being built by now.

As for the delays. First it was light Rail stage 1, then the hospital extension, then light Rail stage 2, now Coronavirus, next it will be the new Theatre or the Lonsdale st mega statue of Shane Rattenbury. .
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You forgot Mr Fluffy.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:You forgot Mr Fluffy.
Good point, and the upgrade to the public toilets at Kambah village.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: September 18, 2021, 6:38 pm

Is the ACT going to expect all visitors to be vaccinated? It will be interesting to see how this actually goes
Don’t sweat it Cat - the way we finished 2021 and have signed old men to long term deals the crowds at Bruce will be very very well socially distanced I’m tipping!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:

Whats your point?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: September 18, 2021, 8:54 pm
cat wrote:

Whats your point?

She is worried about the more complacent states….
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Billy Walker wrote:
cat wrote:

Whats your point?

WA doesn't have a league team
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Legal minefield. As for a new stadium there’s a money problem, and a big one.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 18, 2021, 9:18 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
cat wrote:

Whats your point?

Western Reds? WA is one of the safest states in the country - strongest economy, most freedoms. Everything NSW isn’t.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
cat wrote: ACT might be 95% but will the surrounding suburbs? Queensland fans that visit?

Whats your point?

Western Reds? WA is one of the safest states in the country - strongest economy, most freedoms. Everything NSW isn’t.
Except vaccinated Image
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 18, 2021, 9:57 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:

Whats your point?

Except vaccinated Image
Want to throw up any stats about cases and deaths Doc? - didn’t think so. Vacs are being directed to the basket case state that started the whole show
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
cat wrote: ACT might be 95% but will the surrounding suburbs? Queensland fans that visit?

Whats your point?

Highest amount of ICU patients when the borders open

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: September 18, 2021, 10:07 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:

Whats your point?

Highest amount of ICU patients when the borders open

I think McGowan has been very clear the WA border won’t open till the state is good and ready. I’m pretty sure WA will be on the right side of history on this one - NSW - FAIL!
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Good. If you aren't double-jabbed by the time the season rolls around again, you mustn't have wanted it and a happy to wear the consequences. Time to move on with life (once we hit 80+% double-jabbed).
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Leebola wrote: September 18, 2021, 10:13 pm Good. If you aren't double-jabbed by the time the season rolls around again, you mustn't have wanted it and a happy to wear the consequences. Time to move on with life (once we hit 80+% double-jabbed).
The thing I would like better explained is whether the unvaccinated only pose a risk to themselves or if they increase risk to others. I’d be a tad miffed if I had a child below the vax age that wound up with Rona from cheering on the raiders due to some selfish person that decided not to get jabbed.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Billy Walker wrote: September 18, 2021, 10:18 pm
Leebola wrote: September 18, 2021, 10:13 pm Good. If you aren't double-jabbed by the time the season rolls around again, you mustn't have wanted it and a happy to wear the consequences. Time to move on with life (once we hit 80+% double-jabbed).
The thing I would like better explained is whether the unvaccinated only pose a risk to themselves or if they increase risk to others. I’d be a tad miffed if I had a child below the vax age that wound up with Rona from cheering on the raiders due to some selfish person that decided not to get jabbed.
For some reason, it's not life-threatening to under-10s (0 deaths in Oz, from 10,000 cases), and not much worse for under-20s (one death, 20,000 cases). The experience of other countries seems to be that you can still get the virus while jabbed, but it's relatively mild, while the unjabbed dominate ICU. At some point we just have to accept there are risks in life and get on with it, IMO.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Leebola wrote: September 18, 2021, 10:32 pm
For some reason, it's not life-threatening to under-10s (0 deaths in Oz, from 10,000 cases), and not much worse for under-20s (one death, 20,000 cases). The experience of other countries seems to be that you can still get the virus while jabbed, but it's relatively mild, while the unjabbed dominate ICU. At some point we just have to accept there are risks in life and get on with it, IMO.
If the research says the risks they are taking will only impact them then I’ve go no problems with that. People choose to smoke, drink and whatever else. Hell if people don’t want to wear a seatbelt I reckon they should be allowed that foolish choice. But if that choice puts others at greater risk then that is a different story. I’d like this better explained because it will become an issue whether we are talking raiders games, family Christmas parties or work places. Dr Zaius - you got a view on this?
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Well I'd always want to take my vaccination advice from pseudonyms on a forum...
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
Except vaccinated Image
Want to throw up any stats about cases and deaths Doc? - didn’t think so. Vacs are being directed to the basket case state that started the whole show
The pandemic is far from over. I wouldn't be taking any victory laps just yet, delta has a knack for making people look stupid.

Regardless the discussion was about vaccination, in which case WA are complacent.
Last edited by Dr Zaius on September 19, 2021, 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Billy Walker wrote:
If the research says the risks they are taking will only impact them then I’ve go no problems with that. People choose to smoke, drink and whatever else. Hell if people don’t want to wear a seatbelt I reckon they should be allowed that foolish choice. But if that choice puts others at greater risk then that is a different story. I’d like this better explained because it will become an issue whether we are talking raiders games, family Christmas parties or work places. Dr Zaius - you got a view on this?
Against delta, the current vaccine is by no means perfect. It has something like a 30-40% efficacy against acquiring the virus. If you are vaccinated and get it, your viral load is initially similar to unvaccinated, but drops rapidly, meaning that you are less contagious. Thus, you are less likely to get it and less contagious, thus less likely to be a spreader. Can you still get it and pass it on? Yes.

That's one way to look at the impact of the unvaccinated on others. The other thing to consider is that the more people vaccinated, the less strain on the hospital system. If the virus spreads through a highly unvaccinated population hospitals and ICUs will fill up and there will be no beds for usual business. Once everyone has had the opportunity to be vaccinated, you can thank those who chose not to get vaccinated for you not getting your cancer surgery or next getting an ICU bed after your car accident.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 19, 2021, 6:20 am
Billy Walker wrote:
Against delta, the current vaccine is by no means perfect. It has something like a 30-40% efficacy against acquiring the virus. If you are vaccinated and get it, your viral load is initially similar to unvaccinated, but drops rapidly, meaning that you are less contagious. Thus, you are less likely to get it and less contagious, thus less likely to be a spreader. Can you still get it and pass it on? Yes.

That's one way to look at the impact of the unvaccinated on others. The other thing to consider is that the more people vaccinated, the less strain on the hospital system. If the virus spreads through a highly unvaccinated population hospitals and ICUs will fill up and there will be no beds for usual business. Once everyone has had the opportunity to be vaccinated, you can thank those who chose not to get vaccinated for you not getting your cancer surgery or next getting an ICU bed after your car accident.
I suspect the vaccine’s efficacy against Delta has been understated. It seems the immunity from the vaccine wanes over time, which happened to be the same time Delta became dominant around the world where the studies were undertaken. Israel is reporting some very promising data from their booster campaign, suggesting the vaccine is back to 95% efficacy, against Delta - with no changes to the vaccine itself.

The personal freedom argument against vaccines doesn’t make sense when you consider the nature of a contagious disease. I have the right for you not to make me sick. Society should live by the silver rule - do not do to others what you do not want done to you. Not to mention the impact on hospitals as Dr. Zaius rightly pointed out. The argument falls totally apart when the same people go to Intensive Care and have every known and experimental drug pumped into them in an effort to stay alive.

Other than legitimate medical reasons, not being vaccinated makes you a selfish person.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Yep and on that basis I think I’d prefer Mr Barr take a harder line stance on what the unvaccinated are able to do. I think policing any policies will be very difficult. Anyone who got in a nightclub and had a beer before the age of 18 can tell you no system is foolproof. But if people are making selfish choices that will impact others then yeah, I’m all for encouraging better choices. I guess there are analogies with smokers who also eventually clog up health systems, but they are also encouraged to choose better through soaring prices of ciggies etc.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 19, 2021, 6:10 am
Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: September 18, 2021, 9:18 pm WA doesn't have a league team
Except vaccinated Image
The pandemic is far from over. I wouldn't be taking any victory laps just yet, delta has a knack for making people look stupid.

Regardless the discussion was about vaccination, in which case WA are complacent.
I think the burning desire from some politicians and most of society to put COVId in the rear view mirror and declare it all over is the problem. I’m not an expert, and I hope I’m very wrong here, but I think the world has changed and we need to adapt. Already we are reading about worse variants than delta - I suspect this thing will mutate and change for many moons. I found watching sport on TV without a crowd to almost be pointless at first but after time it becomes normal and you still appreciate the quality of game on display. I used to fly interstate for work weekly a couple of years back, but guess what, turns out you can work just as effectively without all that travel. I know there are a lot of people doing it very tough in lockdowns and the current situation isn’t sustainable long term. But I think we are very foolish if we think the answer is a return to the way everything once was. I think there are opportunities to shape what a more sustainable future looks like if only people could shift the burning focus on returning to what once was.
CrabLord
Noa Nadruku

Post by CrabLord »

Botman wrote: September 18, 2021, 5:46 pm :lol: He was never building the new civic stadium, COVID or not.
New $1million Grandstand at Manuka oval just in time for AFL next year. With GWS to host three games against Collingwood, Swans and Richmond all at the same time the Raiders are playing at that perfectly fine GIO stadium. Canberrans deserve more exposure to the AFL
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

CrabLord wrote:
Botman wrote: September 18, 2021, 5:46 pm Image He was never building the new civic stadium, COVID or not.
New $1million Grandstand at Manuka oval just in time for AFL next year. With GWS to host three games against Collingwood, Swans and Richmond all at the same time the Raiders are playing at that perfectly fine GIO stadium. Canberrans deserve more exposure to the AFL
What does $1mil get you in the way of grandstands. I'm thinking some temporary scaffolded stand with a bit of shade cloth over the top.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Dr Zaius wrote:
CrabLord wrote:
Botman wrote: September 18, 2021, 5:46 pm Image He was never building the new civic stadium, COVID or not.
What does $1mil get you in the way of grandstands. I'm thinking some temporary scaffolded stand with a bit of shade cloth over the top.
You’re paying too much. Who’s your shade cloth guy?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
CrabLord wrote:
You’re paying too much. Who’s your shade cloth guy?
Can you sort me out?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: September 18, 2021, 4:33 pm
Andrew Barr opts against making vaccination compulsory to attend Canberra's stadiums

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr has effectively ruled out vaccination being a requirement of entry into Canberra's major sporting venues once society starts opening up again.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14264
YESS, now Papa can play.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Finally, a sensible comment in this topic.