Jack Wighton yet to commit to Canberra Raiders for 2023

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

CANBERRA star and Dally M winner Jack Wighton has appeared on the radar of rival clubs amid revelations that he can leave the nation’s capital at the end of the 2022 season. Wighton has options in his favour for 2023 and ’24, meaning he will return to pre-season training on Friday with a question mark over his future.

The Raiders star is in the second year of a lucrative four-year deal that pays him in excess of $3 million. It is understood he broached the idea of not taking up his options with officials some months ago, but never followed through with anything formal.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Jack Wighton yet to commit to Canberra Raiders for 2023

Post by dubby »

Can't see another club paying him as much as we do.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

If he doesn't want to take up his options, then let him. Although I like Jack and he is one of my favourite players, it is annoying after the season he had and also the support we gave him in 2018. He wasn't playing up to SOO level this year, could have been dropped, and Cody Walker and Luai were much better than him yet were on much less
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Nothing to see here.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Yeah if he wants to know his market value that's absolutely his right. You're mad not too.

To get much more than we're offering him, he'd need to play like 2019- absolutely out of his skin. In which case we'd be a top 4 team most likely and he'd be worth around what we're paying him. I suppose someone like Dolphins might come in and top it by a smallish margin. Even then I'm pretty sure he's tapped out the top of the bracket for a running 5/8 really.

But if he doesn't play gangbusters then his 2023 option will be by far the best thing on the table.

Not much to the story really- "player who is signed decides to wait sensible amount of time to gauge if expansion has shifted the market before he recommits". Ok.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Whatever

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Akyle1994
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by Akyle1994 »

Wighton will get what we’re paying him elsewhere, there’s a shortage of his standard and movement coming up at the end of 2022. It’s annoying to see every player who is speculated to be leaving after they were a key part to our GF contentions, fans are happy to kick them on their way out. Wighton has been equally as average as everyone else on the field because of ongoing issues that effected them last season, the right coach and atmosphere can bring out his Dally M winning ways. It doesn’t surprise me he’s not interested in taking up his options under Stuart, he’s very close with Hodgson and very much plays for his teammates I’m sure he’ll be one of many wanting out.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I'd be willing to bet he'd be able to get as much or more on the open market as what we're paying him right now if that's what he wants to do

Putting this firmly in the "dont care at this stage" pile. Right now, given the state of the Raiders, im not entirely sure it makes sense for player or club to exercise that option if this team is indeed circling the drain. If we're bad again this year, it's probably fair to say we're headed for a big time rebuild... many might argue we need to do that now, but with Fogarty coming and largely the same squad, this is the last chance saloon for this era of Raiders football, to get back into contention and try and do something special... and if you cant, and you accept this is a 2-3 year rebuilding project, then i think it would be in the best interests of Wighton (29 in Feb and who's game style of aggressive, power running and athleticism won't age particularly well into his 30's imo) to go and chance success elsewhere, and the best interests of the club to start it's road to rebuild without him

However if they can turn it around, and a big part of that is Jack's own personal form, then i have no doubt all parties will be happy to forge on together
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I am not a fan of options in the player favour.

If I was a player I wouldnt be huge on options in the clubs favour.

You either want to stay or you dont. Find an amount and time you can both agree on and sign up for that.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

If he goes he goes. If he wants more cash then he may get it with a perennial cellar dweller but that's it.
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Who cares...overpaid at the moment for his skillset - second rower.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

After the year he had this year, we should be asking for a refund
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

I'd much rather we keep Jack on $750k than lose him.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: November 19, 2021, 7:02 am I'd be willing to bet he'd be able to get as much or more on the open market as what we're paying him right now if that's what he wants to do

Putting this firmly in the "dont care at this stage" pile. Right now, given the state of the Raiders, im not entirely sure it makes sense for player or club to exercise that option if this team is indeed circling the drain. If we're bad again this year, it's probably fair to say we're headed for a big time rebuild... many might argue we need to do that now, but with Fogarty coming and largely the same squad, this is the last chance saloon for this era of Raiders football, to get back into contention and try and do something special... and if you cant, and you accept this is a 2-3 year rebuilding project, then i think it would be in the best interests of Wighton (29 in Feb and who's game style of aggressive, power running and athleticism won't age particularly well into his 30's imo) to go and chance success elsewhere, and the best interests of the club to start it's road to rebuild without him

However if they can turn it around, and a big part of that is Jack's own personal form, then i have no doubt all parties will be happy to forge on together
Doubtful he'd get close to his current deal at a contender, but agree there's a chance he could get more out of some of the clubs below us on the ladder.

Nothing about his style makes me envisage a rapid decline though. I'm not aware of any chronic injuries, he's never relied on top tier speed more strength and balance which I wouldn't see starting to fade until he's 32ish.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

No he's not a speed guy but he's a very explosive athlete. He can really generate a lot of power quickly when he changes direction and goes
He's a tackle breaking running half. Any loss of areas that impact that, be that speed, agility or general athleticism, which will come with age, will continue to hamper his ability to beat guys at the line and create chances. He's not a ball player by any stretch of the imagination, and no one would accuse poor Jack of being a particularly smart footballer, his success is not with vision, with ball skills or with what's between his ears. It's entirely physical.

Those sort of players can often fall off very hard and fast, because once you lose a little bit of that, there is nothing to fall back on, nothing to evolve into.
Now it's probably not going to be a MAJOR issue for Wighton because he can and probably will fairly easily transition to role in the pack, be that on the edge or as a new age #13... but specifically to us, the Raiders... if that's where Jack is trending, and again, some might and have argue he's already there now... does a rebuilding team need a 750-900k Jack Wighton transitioning to a new role? And does Jack want to spend the last years of his prime going the wrong way?

Even if he goes to a "bad" team, one worse than us because they're the ones who'll give him more money, where as the contenders will be offering less... if they're worse than us but trending up, rather than us being better but heading down... maybe that's the right move for him too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dally M winner could be on the move

Raiders superstar Jack Wighton is reportedly considering leaving the club at the end of next season. The 2020 Dally M Medal winner is halfway through a lucrative four-year deal but he has player options in his favour for 2023 and 2024. But Canberra legend Laurie Daley said the club shouldn’t be too worried, for now.

“I don’t think it’s an issue for the Raiders at the moment, I think Jack wants to make sure he’s playing good football for the club first and foremost and if he does that then it comes down to a decision that he makes - is he happy in the environment, which I’m sure he is, does he like playing for the club, yep, and I’m sure he’ll take up that option.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7be6da7222
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

There isn't a player I care about losing atm, apart from maybe Savage.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I wouldn't be breaking the bank for him. 800k is at the upper end of what is be prepared to pay.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: November 19, 2021, 11:14 am There isn't a player I care about losing atm, apart from maybe Savage.
Yeah given the state of the club right now, i feel sort of the same way
There are guys you'd obviously like to keep and some of the young kids i've got a lot of hope for and think can contribute heavily to the next era of Raiders footy. But there really isnt anyone we could lose and feel like it set the club back years like when Milford left and you felt all hope escape your body
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Let’s just bookmark this thread, dig it out next Xmas.

I can’t be concerned about what may or may not happen in 2yrs time.

Either way..JACK GETS PAID !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

afgtnk wrote: November 19, 2021, 11:14 am There isn't a player I care about losing atm, apart from maybe Savage.
So you are prepared to bank our future on an untested rookie who has shown mostly that he is fragile enough to last only one game in FG. He shows some promise, but dozens of young blokes come into grade each season based on great promise but most of them fall by the wayside. For the few Jarod Crokers who go on to near 300 games there aremostly Jarrad Kennedys who go nowhere, or never get a run.
My cousin went into first grade with Easts in a grand final, never played FG again. That is a more typical outcome.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

For me it isn’t so much who we lose as it is about what we are trying to build and who we seeking to sign. Bulldogs were a joke in 2021 but they have a fair roster heading into 2022 with Kikau now signing. If we lose Jack and sign muppets then that is a problem. But if we lose Jack, and even Papa and anyone else but sign a few out and out star replacements then happy days.
Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by Robert the Bruce »

Hmmm, Is this a ploy to get a contract at the STH QLD Dolphins? They are still yet to land a big ‘FISH’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: November 19, 2021, 1:20 pm For me it isn’t so much who we lose as it is about what we are trying to build and who we seeking to sign. Bulldogs were a joke in 2021 but they have a fair roster heading into 2022 with Kikau now signing. If we lose Jack and sign muppets then that is a problem. But if we lose Jack, and even Papa and anyone else but sign a few out and out star replacements then happy days.
Kikau is for 2023.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Cranky Old Man wrote:
So you are prepared to bank our future on an untested rookie who has shown mostly that he is fragile enough to last only one game in FG. He shows some promise, but dozens of young blokes come into grade each season based on great promise but most of them fall by the wayside. For the few Jarod Crokers who go on to near 300 games there aremostly Jarrad Kennedys who go nowhere, or never get a run.
My cousin went into first grade with Easts in a grand final, never played FG again. That is a more typical outcome.
Bit before my time, but was that Reg Clough? Replaced John Brass or Mark Harris in the 1975 finals, got injured and was never seen again. If it was, that team had some pretty handy centres. No wonder he barely got a run.

Anyway, back on topic, it's pretty clear why Wighton didn't pursue the idea of testing the market this year. Whether or not he can get a better offer elsewhere is an interesting debate. I have no doubt we are a much better team with him in form, whether in the 6 jersey or elsewhere. Hopefully we have a great year and he stays.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: November 19, 2021, 1:52 pm
Billy Walker wrote: November 19, 2021, 1:20 pm For me it isn’t so much who we lose as it is about what we are trying to build and who we seeking to sign. Bulldogs were a joke in 2021 but they have a fair roster heading into 2022 with Kikau now signing. If we lose Jack and sign muppets then that is a problem. But if we lose Jack, and even Papa and anyone else but sign a few out and out star replacements then happy days.
Kikau is for 2023.
Ah - I bet Cotric is nervous about that. They are putting together a decent squad. Bit of a burn it down and rebuild it approach. Time will tell if these players gel and go anywhere but you wouldn’t rule them out of being top 4 contenders in 23 or 24.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: November 19, 2021, 3:23 pm
Kikau is for 2023.
Ah - I bet Cotric is nervous about that. They are putting together a decent squad. Bit of a burn it down and rebuild it approach. Time will tell if these players gel and go anywhere but you wouldn’t rule them out of being top 4 contenders in 23 or 24.
Their building a better squad but the form trajectory of their signings would be a concern. Burton's stock is well and truly rising. Not sure about the rest of them. Kikau in particular is ebing paid for his form of a year or two ago. No way his 2021 production is worth $800k p.a. Panther won a GF despite his lack of contrubution, not because of it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Robert the Bruce wrote: November 19, 2021, 1:23 pm Hmmm, Is this a ploy to get a contract at the STH QLD Dolphins? They are still yet to land a big ‘FISH’

Surely the Dolphins would at least need to match what he will be paid here if he takes up the option, plus maybe add another year on top. If they said 3 years at $850k/year and he wanted a year extra here on top of what he's already got to stay, I'd probably be prepared to let him go. He will be 29 going into next season - 30/31 for 2023/24... would you bank on him being worth what he is currently once he's 32 is the question and I wouldn't be confident, particularly if you don't see his future in the halves.
Last edited by Raiders_Pat on November 19, 2021, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

afgtnk wrote:There isn't a player I care about losing atm, apart from maybe Savage.
Same, the only glimmer of any form of excitement. The rest can just flat out get ****.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: November 19, 2021, 3:34 pm
Kikau is for 2023.
Their building a better squad but the form trajectory of their signings would be a concern. Burton's stock is well and truly rising. Not sure about the rest of them. Kikau in particular is ebing paid for his form of a year or two ago. No way his 2021 production is worth $800k p.a. Panther won a GF despite his lack of contrubution, not because of it.
Yep that’s fair. JAC isn’t getting any quicker either. Will be interesting to see but they are certainly trying stuff and having a crack. I guess Panthers signed and recycled a few players like Maloney and Tamou on the way to their winning roster.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: November 19, 2021, 3:44 pm
Northern Raider wrote: November 19, 2021, 3:34 pm
Kikau is for 2023.
Yep that’s fair. JAC isn’t getting any quicker either. Will be interesting to see but they are certainly trying stuff and having a crack. I guess Panthers signed and recycled a few players like Maloney and Tamou on the way to their winning roster.
Yep, those veterans helped bring through the Panther's elite crop of junior that have formed the backbone of their current success. Question with the Dogs is do they have that same emerging talent pool or are they trying to "buy" success. Last time they tried the latter approach it brought them 5 years of pain.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

The dogs will be carted deep into the play offs this year as payback for lockdowns, it will be the channel nine feel good story of the year, its so rigged and predictable its pathetic.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by Robert the Bruce »

Raiders_Pat wrote: November 19, 2021, 3:36 pm
Robert the Bruce wrote: November 19, 2021, 1:23 pm Hmmm, Is this a ploy to get a contract at the STH QLD Dolphins? They are still yet to land a big ‘FISH’

Surely the Dolphins would at least need to match what he will be paid here if he takes up the option, plus maybe add another year on top. If they said 3 years at $850k/year and he wanted a year extra here on top of what he's already got to stay, I'd probably be prepared to let him go. He will be 29 going into next season - 30/31 for 2023/24... would you bank on him being worth what he is currently once he's 32 is the question and I wouldn't be confident, particularly if you don't see his future in the halves.
They just need marquee signings and they don't seem to have any on the hook. Jack, despite last season, fits the bill; Origin, Grand finalist, Clive Chruchill, Dally M...
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

This is all a managers tactic to bluff the raiders into panic buying.

I hardly doubt the Dolphins, or any other NRL club will pay or exceed the wage we currently pay

And if they do.....well they'll get a very inconsistent yet dynamic 6.

Either way, Jack gets paid
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Jack reminds me of Jerry the race car driver.