Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Re: Nick Cotric ready for shock return to Canberra as Bulldogs make cost-cutting decision

Post by RichmondRaider »

Welcome back Nick. For the hundredth time, wing is more important than centre these days. That's where you belong

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: Nick Cotric ready for shock return to Canberra as Bulldogs make cost-cutting decision

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

greeneyed wrote: December 10, 2021, 10:43 pm We've almost certainly paid too much on that basis. Cotric is a $450k player at best at present. The Bulldogs were reputedly only willing to pay $150k freight to return Cotric to the Raiders on a $650k contract. Now we're told that the Raiders are paying freight on Simonsson's move to the Eels "to create space for Cotric" (not sure why all the other players offloaded, including Scott, Williams and a number of forwards didn't already do this?). The Raiders paying any freight on Simonsson must make the deal marginal at best on the Botman criteria. If the public numbers hang together, what it suggests is... the Raiders made a miscalculation on Simonsson's contract, and his deal was over market. Which is the point I've been making since yesterday.
Bang on. I couldn’t believe it when I read we were paying freight either. The Eels clearly realLy wanted him by offering 3 years IMO.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: December 10, 2021, 10:57 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 10, 2021, 10:43 pm We've almost certainly paid too much on that basis. Cotric is a $450k player at best at present. The Bulldogs were reputedly only willing to pay $150k freight to return Cotric to the Raiders on a $650k contract. Now we're told that the Raiders are paying freight on Simonsson's move to the Eels "to create space for Cotric" (not sure why all the other players offloaded, including Scott, Williams and a number of forwards didn't already do this?). The Raiders paying any freight on Simonsson must make the deal marginal at best on the Botman criteria. If the public numbers hang together, what it suggests is... the Raiders made a miscalculation on Simonsson's contract, and his deal was over market. Which is the point I've been making since yesterday.
Bang on. I couldn’t believe it when I read we were paying freight either. The Eels clearly realLy wanted him by offering 3 years IMO.
Great point raised.
My read on this is Simmonson signed $$ based on potential. Simple as that.
He has this and shown glimpses of it. But not enough during his time at raiders IMO .

I reserve the right to clearly claim... he might be a top class winger or fullback.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

benda wrote: December 11, 2021, 1:38 am
Great point raised.
He has this and shown glimpses of it. But not enough during his time at raiders IMO .

I reserve the right to clearly claim... he might be a top class winger or fullback.
Every single player in the comp is signed based on potential - what the club hopes to get from them during the contract period. Bailey was signed when we just lost Cotric, and Rapa was leaving, and looked to most to be the next long term winger on our books. Rapa came back, and the next generation has come in, so he is now not performing to the contract level. That’s not an inflated contract, that’s squad evolution and delayed development.

Every squad is full of players that are underperforming based on salary expectations. And players who over-perform either agitate for an upgrade or a release. That’s how the world works.

I’d argue in our squad Jack, Croker, Horse, Emre and Whitehead are all underperforming to their salary. In my mind, Horse and Emre haven’t kicked on as expected, just like Bailey. But that’s not a case of inflated contract, that’s development. Jack was woefully out of form last year, but when he is playing well is a $900k player - much like Hodgo.

If you want a case of inflated contracts, check out Croker. Must be close to the best paid centre in the game, but not close to performing like that, even before injury. And I sadly expect Whithead will inevitably be in the same conversation of ‘why on earth did we pay him so much’ very shortly.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Great point raised.

If we are paying freight on Simo someone really pooped the bed on the deal. But it might help explain why all our speculative sums on who has left and how much we should have to spend haven't left us with the sum leftover for the big signing we all thought was coming.

Because if they'll overpay Simo who has done nothing more at all than be "sufficient" for stretches of some seasons, while doing almost zero above that... then we've probably got a whole bunch of people 100k over where they should be and some like Croker and I suspect Whitehead on massive overs.

Personally I don't think Simo will ever be a top class (top 5 in position for arguments sake) winger or FB but I could see him being a solid FGer if he improves a but.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Great point raised.

I reserve the right to clearly claim he might be nothing more than a plodder. He certainly hasn’t shown any indication that he has the skills or abilities to be a top class anything. Struggles to score tries, cant make a clean line break, bust a tackle, outpace anyone. Bad under the high ball. I really don’t know what people see in him. Matt Ikuvalu at the Roosters is their back up fringe first grader and he manages to do some incredible stuff.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Botman wrote: December 10, 2021, 8:53 pm
Wiki Special wrote: December 10, 2021, 8:35 pm I think it was Botman (apologies if not) who said they'd love to know what the chip in for Bailey is and what we have to foot for Nick coming back. I am in the same boat, really want to know. If the total of both is under $500K that is probably a win for us. If it is closer to $450K then we are laughing.
It totally makes or breaks what i think of this move...
And it ultimately matters not one iota what freight the dogs are paying on Cotric or what we're paying on Simo in a vacuum, this is a duel transaction, and it has to be judged as such.
We dont get that info

This comes down to this, it's a single positon and single roster spot... when all the outs and ins are taken into account, what is the TRUE cost of Cotric?

If it's ultimately 450k, that's just fine, not a good or bad deal, but it's fair IMO, and im happy to have him back. And anything less is a gets to start looking like a pretty good deal for us.
If it's more than 450k, then we've paid too much imo.
To be honest, it is probably going to be closer to $500K when all is said and done. In my opinion anyway, I hope to be wrong on that.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Nick Cotric to return to Raiders on three year deal

Post by greeneyed »

Nick Cotric poised to leave Canterbury Bulldogs and rejoin Canberra Raiders on three year deal

Nick Cotric will return as a Raider with his stint as a Bulldog lasting just 14 matches. Cotric will sign with Canberra immediately — joining the club on a long-term deal believed to be three seasons. He rejected interest from the Wests Tigers. Cotric still had two seasons left on his deal worth about $1.3 million and had returned to Canterbury pre-season training. The move could be announced as early as Monday.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 6b3388bbae
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

Great news. His best football is in front of him.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Awesome. Our backline looks a lot stronger with Cotric in it, whichever way you put it together.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

The last time Gould released who he considered an overpriced outside back at the start of his rebuild (at Penrith) that player - Michael Jennings - went on to win a Premiership with the Roosters in his first year at the club in 2013. Which was 3 years after they lost a Grand Final in 2010. Let's hope history repeats for us in 2022 after losing the GF in 2019.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote:Awesome. Our backline looks a lot stronger with Cotric in it, whichever way you put it together.
You add Cotric, Savage and a fit CNK to our backline, remove Scott, and it's infinitely better than anything we ran out with last season.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

Coastalraider wrote: December 11, 2021, 4:18 am
Great point raised.

Every single player in the comp is signed based on potential - what the club hopes to get from them during the contract period. Bailey was signed when we just lost Cotric, and Rapa was leaving, and looked to most to be the next long term winger on our books. Rapa came back, and the next generation has come in, so he is now not performing to the contract level. That’s not an inflated contract, that’s squad evolution and delayed development.

Every squad is full of players that are underperforming based on salary expectations. And players who over-perform either agitate for an upgrade or a release. That’s how the world works.

I’d argue in our squad Jack, Croker, Horse, Emre and Whitehead are all underperforming to their salary. In my mind, Horse and Emre haven’t kicked on as expected, just like Bailey. But that’s not a case of inflated contract, that’s development. Jack was woefully out of form last year, but when he is playing well is a $900k player - much like Hodgo.

If you want a case of inflated contracts, check out Croker. Must be close to the best paid centre in the game, but not close to performing like that, even before injury. And I sadly expect Whithead will inevitably be in the same conversation of ‘why on earth did we pay him so much’ very shortly.
Well said mate !! Spot on
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

One thing we severely lacked last year was someone to do the dirty metres running it out of our end. Nick is the best in the business at that.

A proper bullocking finisher as well. This pleases me.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Timbo wrote: December 13, 2021, 9:07 am One thing we severely lacked last year was someone to do the dirty metres running it out of our end. Nick is the best in the business at that.

A proper bullocking finisher as well. This pleases me.
That'll be extra handy once Rapana retires.

It also has some flow on effects- can more confidently play Savage at Fb, since we have plenty of size and experience in the back 3 already with Cotric/Rapa.

Or if CNK plays there, he might not have to bash himself smashing out dirty metres quite so much and may be left with a bit more in the tank to attack with more poise in terms of when/how to inject and make those passing decisions.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, CNK, Cotric and Rapana are already a grand final quality back three. Plenty of grunt there in getting us yards early in the set. The likes of Savage and HSS provide a bit more finesse.

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Seiffert82 wrote: December 13, 2021, 3:17 pm Yep, CNK, Cotric and Rapana are already a grand final quality back three. Plenty of grunt there in getting us yards early in the set. The likes of Savage and HSS provide a bit more finesse.

Do you think Savage could potentially be deployed at Centre if we went with our '19 GF back three or is that position redundant for him based on his skillset? Question is for anyone happy to answer.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Wiki Special wrote: December 13, 2021, 3:21 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: December 13, 2021, 3:17 pm Yep, CNK, Cotric and Rapana are already a grand final quality back three. Plenty of grunt there in getting us yards early in the set. The likes of Savage and HSS provide a bit more finesse.

Do you think Savage could potentially be deployed at Centre if we went with our '19 GF back three or is that position redundant for him based on his skillset? Question is for anyone happy to answer.
He has played there before, but I don't think he will be able to handle some of the bigger Centres defensively just yet. He isn't really a "draw and pass" player, either (though that can develop). I saw a lot of him in juniors, and he still strikes me as a Winger through and through, but I can definitely see why fans (and, it seems, the club) want him to develop into a Fullback - there is a huge upside if he can pull it off, and worst case he is a very good NRL Winger. Centre gives him less space to use his strengths.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

So it sounds like this is likely but not yet locked in?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

benda wrote: December 13, 2021, 4:26 pm So it sounds like this is likely but not yet locked in?
I dont think we'd have let Simo walk unless this was completely locked in and done
Think they're just waiting on official approval from NRL cap auditors, but they've reportedly spoken to them about this deal, so i'd say this is purely just waiting for the paperwork to catch up and make it officially official
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Done deal all over social media
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

TongueFTW wrote: December 13, 2021, 3:27 pm

He has played there before, but I don't think he will be able to handle some of the bigger Centres defensively just yet. He isn't really a "draw and pass" player, either (though that can develop). I saw a lot of him in juniors, and he still strikes me as a Winger through and through, but I can definitely see why fans (and, it seems, the club) want him to develop into a Fullback - there is a huge upside if he can pull it off, and worst case he is a very good NRL Winger. Centre gives him less space to use his strengths.
If he is a JAC we are laughing.
If he becomes a Papenhuyzen we are golden.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

If It’s official that Nick has returned I can only imagine Sammy Williams will be kicking stones that he is now becomes the second best Cooma born Raider in the current squad.

Also with the greatest respect to Nick’s Serbian heritage and the pronunciation of his name - I’m putting it out there there Nick Cot-rich was a far superior player to Nick Choc-chich. I’ll go with whatever Rabs say it is, but if I had it my way we’d be getting Nick Cot-rich back!
BJ123
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Chicka

Post by BJ123 »

I prefer Rabs Warren calling Mitchell Chalk and Jackson Crocker.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: December 13, 2021, 8:53 pm
TongueFTW wrote: December 13, 2021, 3:27 pm

If he is a JAC we are laughing.
If he becomes a Papenhuyzen we are golden.
He does have that kind of speed. More the JAC build than the Paps build.

What's interesting is the approaches taken to each career. JAC was a straight out winger from day 1. Papenhuyzen never really played wing, he was either bench utility or FB right from word go. No mucking around with other positions, Bellamy had a pretty clear vision for each.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I personally think we're insane if we don't at least try Savage at fullback to start the season. There's nothing to lose, we don't have to be conservative with the selections for any reason next year... and it's not like the guy we have playing fullback currently is a $700k+ gun who would be wasted in a different position. Savage isn't going to see much time in first grade on the wing - our two wingers are amongst the best in the comp. So we should forget about the whole developing through the wing thing and just have him play the position to develop his game. Plus he's the best rookie I've seen in the position for us since Milford. Either have a plan to have him start as NSW cup fullback and eventually as first grade fullback at some point in the season or just throw him in the deep end to start the season.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Raiders_Pat wrote:I personally think we're insane if we don't at least try Savage at fullback to start the season. There's nothing to lose, we don't have to be conservative with the selections for any reason next year... and it's not like the guy we have playing fullback currently is a $700k+ gun who would be wasted in a different position. Savage isn't going to see much time in first grade on the wing - our two wingers are amongst the best in the comp. So we should forget about the whole developing through the wing thing and just have him play the position to develop his game. Plus he's the best rookie I've seen in the position for us since Milford. Either have a plan to have him start as NSW cup fullback and eventually as first grade fullback at some point in the season or just throw him in the deep end to start the season.
I expect him at #1 in nsw cup, he's barely 19yo with a history of shoulder problems. There's no point busting him

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He's always going to have " a history of shoulder problems."
If he's healthy that should not be a consideration, he's just as likely to do another shoulder injury in NSW Cup as he is in the NRL. Like what is the goal with this? You could stick him in NSW for 6 damn years and he'll still have a "history of shoulder problems"
If he's not healthy he shouldnt be playing fullstop.
Also i dont give a **** if he's 19. He's clearly one of the best outside backs at the club. The only reason to hold age against him is if you're not sure he's ready mentally for all that goes into an NRL preparation and game day. He proved last year that he's more than up to that task.

So those excuses for not playing him absolutely do not wash with me.
This is, or should be, a meritocracy. The best players should play. He's one of them. If he's healthy, and he's not in FG, i hope his management immediately agitates for a release. That's what we'd deserve for that kind of Bull.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Imagine if the Tigers had held Benji back in 2005 due to a history of shoulder issues. You've gotta strike while the iron is hot these days, it's not like the 90s when you knew you'd be a good chance of holding on to your gun player for 10 years. Who knows how long we'll have Savage on our books so we need to utilise him.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I just don't see the physical ability to handle week in week out with him, some do like both Crokers and Papa but with Savage hasn't had much footy to harden the body.
I'm not saying make him play a full season in reserves just don't expect to throw him in and expect week to week from the get go.

Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: December 14, 2021, 8:10 am He's always going to have " a history of shoulder problems."
If he's healthy that should not be a consideration, he's just as likely to do another shoulder injury in NSW Cup as he is in the NRL. Like what is the goal with this? You could stick him in NSW for 6 damn years and he'll still have a "history of shoulder problems"
If he's not healthy he shouldnt be playing fullstop.
Also i dont give a **** if he's 19. He's clearly one of the best outside backs at the club. The only reason to hold age against him is if you're not sure he's ready mentally for all that goes into an NRL preparation and game day. He proved last year that he's more than up to that task.

So those excuses for not playing him absolutely do not wash with me.
This is, or should be, a meritocracy. The best players should play. He's one of them. If he's healthy, and he's not in FG, i hope his management immediately agitates for a release. That's what we'd deserve for that kind of Bull.
Spot on Bot - didn’t Brad Clyde win a Churchill medal as a 19yo? Also pretty sure Tedesco has a history of knee injuries but He isn’t in NSW Cup. Get the lad in the team and let’s see what he’s got!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

bonehead wrote: December 14, 2021, 9:17 am I just don't see the physical ability to handle week in week out with him, some do like both Crokers and Papa but with Savage hasn't had much footy to harden the body.
I'm not saying make him play a full season in reserves just don't expect to throw him in and expect week to week from the get go.

How does one harden the body and get used to the physical step up of the week to week NRL grind by playing NSW Cup?
And if the plan if to eventually play him in FG this year, what does not starting the season out functionally do the protect him or better prepare him?

I say this with great affection, Boney ... but this sounds like non descript nonsense you'd hear from bad coaches in 80's and 90's :lol: :P
Like before the professional era had really taken hold and when sports science was but a twinkle in the eye

If we're worried about him physical, you can manage him in game by doing what many here have suggested and what he did a little of last year, and rotate out of fullback to give himself in game breathers on the wing. As a coaching staff you can decide to be extra cautious with a player like this and sit him to let him to properly recover from niggles rather than have him play through it like you'd expect from a Papalii and if you're really wanting to be overly cautious, you can simply use sports science to track his performance on game day and the training pitch and when the data and his body tells you he needs a break, give him a break for a week

But there is absolutely no tangible reason or benefit to starting him in NSW Cup if he's clearly in the top 17 players. He's well capable of dislocating his shoulder or breaking a collar bone in Reggies as he is FG
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

bonehead wrote: December 14, 2021, 9:17 am I just don't see the physical ability to handle week in week out with him, some do like both Crokers and Papa but with Savage hasn't had much footy to harden the body.
He's going to be up and down with the body. I'm expecting a season or 2 of ins and outs due to short term knocks and maybe some management. First grade is a physical step up from reserve grade because he'll always be pushing the envelope and there's less time to react because everyone else you are against are simply better players.
If he's good to go in round 1 I'm expecting him to be there but won't be surprised to see him missing from the team sheet in the next 4 weeks.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Billy Walker wrote: December 13, 2021, 9:42 pm If It’s official that Nick has returned I can only imagine Sammy Williams will be kicking stones that he is now becomes the second best Cooma born Raider in the current squad.

Also with the greatest respect to Nick’s Serbian heritage and the pronunciation of his name - I’m putting it out there there Nick Cot-rich was a far superior player to Nick Choc-chich. I’ll go with whatever Rabs say it is, but if I had it my way we’d be getting Nick Cot-rich back!
I would not go with any pronunciation that Rabs uses - he is well past his use by date and gets more names wrong than he does right.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Wiki Special wrote:

Good question. In all honesty I haven't seen enough of Savage to comment on his ability to play centre, but from what I've seen he's an out and out finisher and can do that damage around a broken ruck, so the wing or fullback definitely seems to be his go. I love CNK at fullback, but for the benefit of the team he'd probably serve us defensively quite well in the centres.