Ex Raiders... where are they now?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ123
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Chicka

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by BJ123 »

Those sad players who get a bigger high through substances than through football. Serious drug use is a mug’s game.

Artificial highs make it difficult for some people to enjoy life’s little things. Saw Ben cousins at Lonsdale St Roasters a few years ago, looked a lost soul.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Time to bring back the scumbag filter?

Embattled former NRL star Brett Finch has been arrested for allegedly sharing child abuse material on his mobile phone. Finch, 40, was arrested on Tuesday morning and taken to Kogarah Police Station where he was charged with five counts of use carriage service transmit or publish or promote child abuse. He was granted conditional police bail to appear at Sutherland Local Court on Tuesday 11 January 2021.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/truec ... e5308706da

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Never liked Finch, but never thought he'd be capable of that.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Not good
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Out of all the Raiders we've seen come and go he's the most horrible by a long way.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I tried tell you guys that the scumbag filter should stay... i was laughed out of the room
Well no one is laughing now, are they?
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

That makes me feel sick
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yikes, he'll be dead within 10 years. Whether guilty or not there's no coming back from that.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I've never liked the bloke or his father for that matter but I never thought he'd be capable of such abhorrent behaviour. Appreciate its alleged at this time but sickening is the word to describe it.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

That is a mental health problem / symptom as much as anything else it may be. The guy is to be pitied as much as anything. I hope he gets the help he needs and is not just left to rot in gaol as most in his circumstences are.
Of course, the welfare of the victim/s in this matter should also be a priority.
A very sad outcome.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Yes, he has some serious issues. Probably a victim himself.

But if proven guilty he needs to be held accountable.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Cranky Old Man wrote: December 14, 2021, 6:57 pm That is a mental health problem / symptom as much as anything else it may be. The guy is to be pitied as much as anything. I hope he gets the help he needs and is not just left to rot in gaol as most in his circumstences are.
Of course, the welfare of the victim/s in this matter should also be a priority.
A very sad outcome.
Yeah, nah. The scumbag doesnt deserve pity and he does deserve to rot in jail. I hate the mental health card being played. He isn’t insane, and would know what he *allegedly* did is abhorrently wrong. Depression and drug issues shouldn’t be an excuse for wanting to rape kids.

“Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad Commander, Detective Superintendent Jayne Doherty said in a police media statement: “We will allege that each of the men arrested by detectives over the past month expressed desires to engage in sexual activity with children, and in some cases, attempted to access child abuse material from other users of the service.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-g ... 3f25a58764
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Cranky Old Man wrote: December 14, 2021, 6:57 pm That is a mental health problem / symptom as much as anything else it may be. The guy is to be pitied as much as anything. I hope he gets the help he needs and is not just left to rot in gaol as most in his circumstences are.
A very sad outcome.
Get absolutely ****
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: December 14, 2021, 7:18 pm
A very sad outcome.
Yeah, nah. The scumbag doesnt deserve pity and he does deserve to rot in jail. I hate the mental health card being played. He isn’t insane, and would know what he *allegedly* did is abhorrently wrong. Depression and drug issues shouldn’t be an excuse for wanting to rape kids.

“Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad Commander, Detective Superintendent Jayne Doherty said in a police media statement: “We will allege that each of the men arrested by detectives over the past month expressed desires to engage in sexual activity with children, and in some cases, attempted to access child abuse material from other users of the service.”

Finchy, unloading on Finchy! Hard to see any good endings to this story
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Billy Walker wrote: December 14, 2021, 9:19 pm
Finchy wrote: December 14, 2021, 7:18 pm
A very sad outcome.

Finchy, unloading on Finchy! Hard to see any good endings to this story
Because there aren't. Every image of child abuse that Finch (allegedly) accessed was of a child being abused. I'll leave it at that.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

A very sad outcome.
Not your best take Cranky. I’ve never been a fan of Finch either as a footballer or as a media personality. Facts are has been gifted with skills that saw him succeed as a footballer and a personality that somehow saw him find success in media. Despite this success he made some very bad life choices that by his own admission saw him “hit rock bottom”. Police allegations suggest he also made choices that will lead to a future that will challenge Mr Finch’s perception of what rock bottom looks like. Not sure your “poor Brett” take on this will be a popular position.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

A very sad outcome.
F off and wake up to yourself. The guy said he was good and broadcast it to the world recently. Stop blaming his mental health problems. It is alleged he did it five times - commenting and sharing

I hope Finch rots in a stinky jail. He's no longer an ex-footballer, media, and Raiders player now. He is Brett Finch the paedophile. The people I pity are his victims and his wife and daughter, not him.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Not your finest comment, COM.

Very hard, nay impossible to justify paedophilia

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Good lord.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I don’t think it’s that’s wild a take to say there is mental health issues and that a human being who is fundamentally broken should be helped rather than left to rot…
But when it comes to matters like this, most are happy to let them rot, myself very much included
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: December 15, 2021, 7:10 am I don’t think it’s that’s wild a take to say there is mental health issues and that a human being who is fundamentally broken should be helped rather than left to rot…
But when it comes to matters like this, most are happy to let them rot, myself very much included
I'd say it's on that individual to seek help on their impulses before they cross the line. In this particular crime once they are found guilty of crossing that line they deserve any, and all punishment that comes their way.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on December 15, 2021, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I don’t think you need to rely on hindsight to see that Brett has never been a great role model even putting these accusations aside. The NRL and associated media really needs to do better. Enough of glorifying the gamblers, druggos, boozers and other hopeless cases. Give me someone like Sia and I’ll tune in.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: December 15, 2021, 7:55 am I don’t think you need to rely on hindsight to see that Brett has never been a great role model even putting these accusations aside. The NRL and associated media really needs to do better. Enough of glorifying the gamblers, druggos, boozers and other hopeless cases. Give me someone like Sia and I’ll tune in.
Well said, Billy.

Drugs / cocaine seem to be the norm with NRL players
Excessive drinking seems to be the norm
Gambling - unsurprising given every sport nowadays is linked to a gambling company, and excessive gambling adds. I never bet on the footy or cricket but love both immensely
Disrespectful to women - from rape to domestic violence. Losers that think they are above the law.
People that do 1-3 above are played up by the media as larrikins but in fact they are losers and need help.
Then you have D heads like Carney with their thoughtless acts
But even those acts are small compared to what Finch allegedly did
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Far out. The Brett Finch story turned pear shaped very quickly.

I'm sure his life has turned to **** right now, but I can't image what his poor wife and family must be going through. I hope they're OK.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Walks straight into the Silverwater starting 13.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: December 15, 2021, 7:27 am
Botman wrote: December 15, 2021, 7:10 am I don’t think it’s that’s wild a take to say there is mental health issues and that a human being who is fundamentally broken should be helped rather than left to rot…
I'd say it's on that individual to seek help on their impulses before they cross the line. In this particular crime once they are found guilty of crossing that line they deserve any, and all punishment that comes their way.
100% agree
My defence was of COM, not Finch. I dont think someone showing some humanity toward a man who is very clearly broken is worthy of being told to **** off, wake up etc.
I appreciate when it comes to matters like these, emotions run very high. But i didnt see a lot wrong with COM's comments
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Botman wrote: December 15, 2021, 10:45 am
100% agree
My defence was of COM, not Finch. I dont think someone showing some humanity toward a man who is very clearly broken is worthy of being told to **** off, wake up etc.
I appreciate when it comes to matters like these, emotions run very high. But i didnt see a lot wrong with COM's comments
I think it came across as very defensive of Finch in light of the allegations involving horrific abuse towards children.

To immediately assert “this is a mental health issue. He deserves pity. He doesn’t deserve to rot in jail”. That’s not “showing humanity”, it’s offensive to victims of child abuse.

As I said, Finch obviously does have mental health issues and substance abuse issues. But let’s not pretend he’s some sort of victim here. He knows right from wrong. Struggling to handle life after footy doesn’t excuse *allegedly* wanting to rape children. He can get whatever “help” he needs in prison as far as I’m concerned.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote:
100% agree
Yeah spot on Rog. I don’t see this as being a mental health issue. I see it as more of a kind of preference, like people attracted to certain races, body types, gender etc.

Saying it’s a mental health issue that can be treated would be like saying I could get help to get over my attraction to Dubby. I’m not going to ever be like “Eureka, I’m not attracted to Dubs anymore!” But I can work on controlling my impulses and avoid doing anything to harm anyone. Once that line is crossed, the punishment is deserved.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

I mean, what if that same line was trotted out about Jarryd Hayne after his sexual assault conviction? "It's clearly a mental health issue. He deserves pity. He needs help and doesn't deserve to rot in jail". How do we think that take would go down?

Yes it's two different *alleged* offences, but both involve someone getting sexual gratification from the non-consensual sexual assault of another person.

If you believe that, fine, but don't expect to not get smacked down when you air those views on a public forum.

I'm not speaking from experience, but keep in mind there may well be people on this site that are victims of child sexual abuse. Defending and victimising Finch as if it's a medical issue out of his control is disgusting.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Look I get it, my wife worked in child protection for many years, I saw the impact it had on her to see the things she saw and I heard the grim tales of what some of the children she had seen had been through. So I understand and agree with the anger and emotions these sorts of charges attract. We should be angry about these crimes, they are the worst crimes committed in our society.

Again, not defending Finch. But Cranky's comments were not remotely defending Finch's alleged actions either, and whilst i cant speak to Finch's specific case, many perpetrators of these sorts of crimes are either a) former victims themselves or b) battling mental health issues and usually both.
That's not a defence of the person, the actions and it not excusing them. Neither Cranky, nor I have implied it does.

COM's comments were not disrespectful in anyway to victims of child abuse and in fact he specifically said the victims of this should be the priority. But right now no one wants to hear anything reasonable comments. Anything short of "Let him rot" is going to be viewed as a defence of the guy. It's not. Cranky never defended the guy or his actions and nor did i. You should atop attacking Cranky as if he did.
Last edited by Botman on December 15, 2021, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Former Raider Nick Cotric has signed with the Raiders

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Botman wrote: December 15, 2021, 11:19 am Look I get it, my wife worked in child protection for many years, I saw the impact it had on her to see the things she saw and I heard the grim tales of what some of the children she had seen had been through. So I understand and agree with the anger and emotions these sorts of charges attract. We should be angry about these crimes, they are the worst crimes committed in our society.

Again, not defending Finch. But Cranky's comments were not remotely defending Finch's alleged actions either, and whilst i cant speak to Finch's specific case, many perpetrators of these sorts of crimes are either a) former victims themselves or b) battling mental health issues and usually both.
That's not a defence of the person, the actions and it not excusing them. Neither Cranky, nor I have implied it does.

COM's comments were not disrespectful in anyway to victims of child abuse and in fact he specifically said the victims of this should be the priority. But right now no one wants to hear anything reasonable comments. Anything short of "Let him rot" is going to be viewed as a defence of the guy. It's not. Cranky never defended the guy or his actions and nor did i. You should atop attacking Cranky as if he did.
Agree to disagree, but saying "It's clearly a mental health issue. He deserves pity. He needs help and shouldn't rot in jail" is a defence and an excuse in my opinion. I'm sure most criminals have mental health issues, people like Ivan Milat included. Mental health, pity, and help rather than jail sound very "excusey" and "defensive" to me, but that's my opinion.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He never said help rather than jail
He said help not just jail… rather significant difference between those two

I feel like you’ve either misread or misunderstood his post and gotten angry at him about a bunch of stuff that he simply never said or implied

But anyways I’ll leave it to cranky to clarify his comments if he feels he needs to.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Maybe this is a poor reflection on me, but I’m struggling to feel pity for Brett. I get there are no winners in this situation and I like to think I’m generally good at taking a balanced view on things but he just strikes me as a very self entitled unlikeable human being.