Melbourne Storm 2022

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Melbourne Storm 2022

Post by greeneyed »

Squad Game: Storm 2022 roster changes and best 17

Any team boasting Ryan Papenhuyzen, Jahrome Hughes, Cameron Munster, Brandon Smith and Harry Grant is bound to be a premiership contender. With the supercoach Craig Bellamy at the helm and a roster packed with stars, the Storm will play finals for a 12th consecutive year and push hard for another title.

Possible best 17
1. Ryan Papenhuyzen, 2. Xavier Coates, 3. Reimis Smith, 4. Justin Olam, 5. George Jennings, 6. Cameron Munster, 7. Jahrome Hughes, 8. Jesse Bromwich, 9. Harry Grant, 10. Christian Welch, 11. Kenny Bromwich, 12. Felise Kaufusi, 13. Brandon Smith, 14. Nick Meaney, 15. Chris Lewis, 16. Nelson Asofa-Solomona, 17. Tom Eisenhuth

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/01/05/squ ... -for-2022/
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Melbourne Storm 2022

Post by gerg »

I think Meaney will get that no. 5 jersey. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he goes close to top try scorer next year, if he gets in the starting side.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

It will be interesting to see what happens with NAS. As it stands he can’t train or play in Melbourne. They have said they will support him at this stage, does that mean he spends a season living in QLD and playing Q cup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

RTW wrote:It will be interesting to see what happens with NAS. As it stands he can’t train or play in Melbourne. They have said they will support him at this stage, does that mean he spends a season living in QLD and playing Q cup?

NAS has said he's getting novavax

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

gergreg wrote: January 6, 2022, 1:04 pm I think Meaney will get that no. 5 jersey. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he goes close to top try scorer next year, if he gets in the starting side.
Yeah I think George Jennings ends up 4th string much to Bellamy's relief.

But just as aside. With the way Melbourne have been able to pull obscure outside backs out of their ass I would not be surprised to see Bellamy turn the big bloke from NZ Rugby 7s into an absolute monster of an NRL winger within half a season.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

julian87 wrote:
gergreg wrote: January 6, 2022, 1:04 pm I think Meaney will get that no. 5 jersey. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he goes close to top try scorer next year, if he gets in the starting side.

But just as aside. With the way Melbourne have been able to pull obscure outside backs out of their ass I would not be surprised to see Bellamy turn the big bloke from NZ Rugby 7s into an absolute monster of an NRL winger within half a season.
I'm not sure who you mean but I see Meaney as a direct replacement for JAC - he is bloody fast and has a good footy iq. Coates as a direct swap for Vunivula.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

gergreg wrote: January 7, 2022, 8:56 am
julian87 wrote:

I'm not sure who you mean but I see Meaney as a direct replacement for JAC - he is bloody fast and has a good footy iq. Coates as a direct swap for Vunivula.
William Warbrick.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

gergreg wrote: January 7, 2022, 8:56 am
julian87 wrote:

Coates form went right out the window in the back half of last year. So I expect him to get the Dally M winger spot under Bellamy.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Nick Meany at 14 instead of starting. Not happening.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Harry Grant, Jahrome Hughes and Xavier Coates ink new Melbourne Storm deals

The Melbourne Storm have secured a huge coup with the re-signing of three of their biggest stars - Harry Grant, Jahrome Hughes and Xavier Coates.

Hughes and Coates have committed until the end of 2026, while Grant has agreed to an extension to the end of 2025.

Read more: https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... -signings/

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/01/27/202 ... nrl-clubs/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Melbourne Storm confirm Craig Bellamy will continue as coach in 2023

Craig Bellamy will continue his unmatched career as senior coach of Melbourne Storm in the 2023 NRL season after confirming today he will remain in the head coach position for at least one more year – his 21st with the club.

The news was announced to Storm’s players and staff at their Sunshine Coast camp today before they continued the preparations for the Round 11 match against the North Queensland Cowboys which will be Bellamy’s 509th game as Melbourne coach.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/05/18/sto ... h-in-2023/
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

can we loan them Anderson or Charnze? get Anderson some really good training regimes.

Edrick The Entertainer
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

bonehead wrote:can we loan them Anderson or Charnze? get Anderson some really good training regimes.

Almost tempting to loan them Savage, can you imagine what this opportunity would do for his development.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead wrote: July 25, 2022, 7:44 pm can we loan them Anderson or Charnze? get Anderson some really good training regimes.

We can't be loaning them anyone when we are still in the running for the top eight.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:
bonehead wrote: July 25, 2022, 7:44 pm can we loan them Anderson or Charnze? get Anderson some really good training regimes.

We can't be loaning them anyone when we are still in the running for the top eight.
neither of these 2 have any bearing on our season and to make the 8 we'll need to win 5/6 which I'd love to see and is realistic with our run but I can't see us doing it.

Edrick The Entertainer
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

A few unofficial sources are stating that the Storm have signed Eliesa katoa.

Looking forward to seeing how he improves under Bellamy. Confident he will turn him into a rep player.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

RTW wrote:A few unofficial sources are stating that the Storm have signed Eliesa katoa.

Looking forward to seeing how he improves under Bellamy. Confident he will turn him into a rep player.

Acceptable reason not to join Raiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cameron Munster re-signs with Melbourne Storm on $4.5 million four year deal, rejects Dolphins, Tigers

Melbourne star Cameron Munster has pledged his future to the Storm. It is understood the new four-year deal with the Storm, which begins in 2024, is worth upwards of $1.1 million a season.

Munster could have earned more had he taken up the offer from the Dolphins, while the Wests Tigers had offered to match or beat any offer he received on the open market.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 23815b4665

Cameron Munster stays at Melbourne Storm for life after rejecting huge Redcliffe Dolphins bid: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b94ac14f8b

Melbourne Storm club statement

Cameron Munster will be a Storm player for life after agreeing to a four-year extension that will see him remain at Melbourne Storm until the end of the 2027 season.

Munster informed Storm management of his decision to remain in the purple jersey just hours prior to his departure with the Kangaroos team heading to England for the Rugby League World Cup.

“I love the Melbourne Storm and I am proud to be committing to the club for a further four years. The club has always been supportive of me, even through some of the more difficult times, and I appreciate Trippy, Justin, Frank and Craig giving me the time I needed to think through the decision with Bianca and my family.

“It is such an important decision for me, and in the end, Melbourne is where my heart is, Melbourne is where I want to play my footy, and Melbourne is the club I want to be a part of for the rest of my career.

“I’ve always wanted to be a one club player. Storm gave me the chance to play NRL and the club has become a second home for me since making my debut.

“Both Bianca and I have family back in Queensland but we are settled in Melbourne, we have a great support network and we look forward to growing our young family in the years to come.

“Thank you to everyone who has supported me through this process, and in my career, particularly to Bianca, my son Jaxson, my parents and extended family. Thank you also to my manager Braith Anasta.

“And finally, thank you to the boys, and everyone at the club, we have an exciting future ahead.” Munster said.

Storm Chairman, Matt Tripp, said the club was always happy to give Munster all the time he needed to make his decision.

“We know this was a huge decision for Cameron and Bianca to make, particularly with family based in Queensland,” Tripp said.

“Cameron will always be a Queenslander, but we are pleased he now calls Melbourne home as well.

“Cameron has matured a lot on and off the field over the last 12 months. He has worked extremely hard in the off-season to get himself into shape and has proven he is one of the best players in the NRL competition again this season, winning the Storm Player of the Year Award and Dally M five-eighth player of the year in the NRL team of the year.

“Most importantly, Cameron has never been in a better place in his life, he is happy, healthy and settled with his young family, and we are thrilled he has decided to remain with the Storm and will become a one club player.

“We are so lucky to have a player like Cameron – a generational player – committed to our Club and our city for another four years.”

Munster joins Harry Grant, Jahrome Hughes, Ryan Papenhuyzen, Xavier Coates, Justin Olam and Christian Welch all signing long-term deals to stay at Storm until at least the end of the 2025 season.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I think that's the best and most anticipated response from Munster
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Interesting that not only has Munster turned down a 5.6mill offer from the Dolphins to stay for 4mill at the Storm (1.6mill difference!), he's also taken a $200Kpa hair cut on what he's currently getting at the Storm. Re-signed for less! Wasn't what I was expecting.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

Turned down and pay rise AND then took a paycut - nothing suspicious here at all. NRL will claim its all above board and they've got their auditors and Storm are squeaky clean.
Until the next time someone accidently hands them the wrong set of books and massive discrepancies are uncovered
At which point they will exclaim actually they did have suspicions all along.

Good thing thats a made up set of events and could never happen in real life....

As an aside, does it bother anyone else that when people discuss how many finals game Cam Smith or Billy S played, they include all the seasons they were disqualified for...
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Shiv wrote:As an aside, does it bother anyone else that when people discuss how many finals game Cam Smith or Billy S played, they include all the seasons they were disqualified for...
You'll find around here some give a free ride to Storm players who probably should have realised something was up when they signed three contracts of differing values.
Last edited by cat on October 7, 2022, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

There was actually a really interesting twist to this story a few years ago in this regard. Think it was around the time Cronulla was getting smacked for a breach of some sort - but were not going to lose their GF win. Cam Smith came out saying something along the lines of "well can we have our GF's back then" (or something like that). NRL CEO at the time said words to the effect of Cam knows he signed 2 contracts so back in your box.

What makes that particularly interesting, is that previously the NRL had always maintained the players were innocent an the whole affair - yet a comment like that puts paid to that view and shows that the players themselves were in on it.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 7, 2022, 9:11 am
Shiv wrote:As an aside, does it bother anyone else that when people discuss how many finals game Cam Smith or Billy S played, they include all the seasons they were disqualified for...
You'll find around here some give a free ride to Storm players who probably should have realised something was up when they signed three contracts of differing values.
And had boats miraculously appear in their garages. I think it is fair enough to record the matches that Smith and Slater played in. I also think it is fair that they were disqualified for those seasons the Storm rorted the salary cap and therefore built a side outside of the rules in place at the time.

The question of 'creative' contracts comes into play when players sign for hundreds of thousands of dollars less per season, than they are being offered elsewhere. Cam Munster has just signed such a contract. Wayne Bennetts shock is evident in that he has questioned Munsters manhood in not calling him about his decision before it went public. Well Wayne, find some talented youngsters and develop them into the next generation of Munster type player - if you can - just like Bellamy did.