All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2022

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: January 4, 2022, 11:10 am
Billy Walker wrote: January 4, 2022, 10:44 am Makes Bots point that the cap ensures nobody goes bankrupt but doesn’t actually get an even spread of players.
His point is different to that. He’s said the cap isn’t even trying to get a spread of talent.
“Botman” wrote:Salary caps in particular are not designed to produce parity, the intention of them was to cap wages to ensure poor clubs would not be able to send themselves broke into trying to compete with rich clubs ability to pay wages. Nothing more, the fact that resulted in talent spread is nothing more than a nice bonus. In NRL terms, we have a salary cap not because they dont want the Australian team playing for the Roosters, but because they dont want the Tigers going broke because they've over extended themselves trying to compete against the hypthetical Australian Roosters
Yeah I’m saying I agree with Botman that the salary cap is about ensuring less financial clubs don’t spend themselves broke, and any talent spread (which I don’t think actually happens) is just a nice secondary happenstance.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Colk wrote: January 3, 2022, 11:57 am
gergreg wrote: January 3, 2022, 11:40 am
Colk wrote:
Matt wrote: January 3, 2022, 11:17 am
Colk wrote: January 3, 2022, 10:48 am

I think the game’s inability to manage or oversee anything is the biggest drawback against any idea you’d have.

You only have to look at the introduction of this second biggest side in Brisbane (the decision making process and planning the introduction of them) that the league is still far behind other sports in terms of planning and strategic thinking. Other sports are also way less conflicted in their decision making as well.
Most would agree this is 1 of the worst run pro sports in the world - could be the worst TBH
I agree, we pretty much do everything the wrong way. Junior development, constant rule changes, media/PR, confidence in product. The game is completely beholden by a certain media organisation and we don’t even have the courage to expand the game outside of Qld and NSW - you even have fans and media types arguing that we should bring back the Bears instead of a team in Perth. I often wondered what position the game would be if we had the AFL’s vision, confidence and administration over the past 30 years.
There are plenty of things wrong with the organisation but they're not even close to the worst run professional sport in the world.
‘Not even close’? We are a very very badly run sport and if we are not even close then there are some terribly run sports around the world.

I can’t think of another professional sport which has had the money that we have had and been around for as long as we have, yet still can’t do something as simple as expand the game. I can’t think of another where there are so many conflicts of interest.

Do you think the AFL would have any of their sides and popularity within NSW and Qld if they were run by RL administrators. If V’landys was in control of them, he would have said they were ‘rusted on’ league states, so don’t bother.
The NRL is a professional game run by amateurs. The AFL is a professional game run by professionals. It’s always been that way and likely to continue.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: January 4, 2022, 10:56 am
Matt wrote: January 4, 2022, 5:37 am
Ok. That makes more sense.
And yet, both of you are right.

By capping salary you stop clubs going broke, meaning you have a competition, but it also makes it more compeditive as it 'assists' talent spread because u have a budget to spend 'wisely'.

In other words, you guys are arguing chicken or the egg.
It’s not even really the chicken or the egg. Botman is saying the egg is the only really important thing. Chickens are incidental. I’m saying both the chicken and the egg are important… for the NRL… and they say their objective is to have both chickens and eggs.

Botman says that the cap is good enough in spreading the talent and not important to the outcome of only a few clubs dominating grand finals and premierships for decades. Whether there’re chickens is pretty much irrelevant.

I’m saying the NRL has a clear objective of having chickens (and eggs). They’ve touted evidence there are chickens, but ignored the evidence there’s a lack of chickens. In fact, the NRL is doing a poor job of ensuring we have enough chickens. And that’s one important reason why only a few clubs have dominated grand finals and premierships for decades.

I would hasten to add… I agree that the performance of coaches and clubs are also very important. I readily accept that this is a complex issue. But that doesn’t mean that the NRL shouldn’t be held to account for not achieving their objective of having enough chickens… and I have some ideas why there’s a lack of chickens and how they can fix it.
GE, it's chicken or egg because you can't have 1 without the other. You will not get an assisted even spread of talent without the cap. Nor will you have clubs to fill them with if they go broke trying.

Therefore you are both right, even if you/ both of you, might not agree with that.

We all acknowledge there are flaws, with oh so much, but TPAs being your major gripe here. It's needs tweaking, for sure.

As for dominating... has less to do with cap, and more to do with coaching and front office of club. I'll say it again Storm = Patriots
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

sprintman wrote:
Colk wrote:
Matt wrote: January 3, 2022, 11:17 am Most would agree this is 1 of the worst run pro sports in the world - could be the worst TBH
I agree, we pretty much do everything the wrong way. Junior development, constant rule changes, media/PR, confidence in product. The game is completely beholden by a certain media organisation and we don’t even have the courage to expand the game outside of Qld and NSW - you even have fans and media types arguing that we should bring back the Bears instead of a team in Perth. I often wondered what position the game would be if we had the AFL’s vision, confidence and administration over the past 30 years.
There are plenty of things wrong with the organisation but they're not even close to the worst run professional sport in the world.
‘Not even close’? We are a very very badly run sport and if we are not even close then there are some terribly run sports around the world.

I can’t think of another professional sport which has had the money that we have had and been around for as long as we have, yet still can’t do something as simple as expand the game. I can’t think of another where there are so many conflicts of interest.

Do you think the AFL would have any of their sides and popularity within NSW and Qld if they were run by RL administrators. If V’landys was in control of them, he would have said they were ‘rusted on’ league states, so don’t bother.
The NRL is a professional game run by amateurs. The AFL is a professional game run by professionals. It’s always been that way and likely to continue.
I don't think this point is as open and shut as most league fans like to bang on about. The AFL certainly knows how to do some things well but they fail in other areas. I don't think I need to say anything more than just mention Gary Ablett and Ben Cousins.

The AFL sat on their hands and waited to see how the NRL handled the covid pandemic, and then they followed.

The AFL totally botched the drugs in sport issue.

The AFL allow massive concessions to expansion teams. Would NRL fans accept similar concessions in our game? The NRL has done this with Melbourne and they are one of most despised teams in the comp. The NRL aren't as open about it as the AFL. I'd be pretty annoyed if the Dolphins are gifted success.

Now as far as the salary cap goes. It's broken because the integrity unit is toothless. I've said this before but the actual salary cap should work but as soon as the NRL relinquishes control of it to clubs, they lose any oversight of what is really going on.

The NRL is paying the salaries of all players through the grants so why aren't they just managing the salary negotiations? Take it out of the clubs' hands. The NRL then needs access to the tax records of players (and family) to audit income.

The NRL could also manage TPAs. Sponsors go through a submission process to the NRL and the NRL distributes those TPAs evenly to all teams. Of course having an even distribution of FTA games is also required.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

gergreg wrote: January 4, 2022, 12:21 pm
sprintman wrote:
Colk wrote:

I don't think this point is as open and shut as most league fans like to bang on about. The AFL certainly knows how to do some things well but they fail in other areas. I don't think I need to say anything more than just mention Gary Ablett and Ben Cousins.

The AFL sat on their hands and waited to see how the NRL handled the covid pandemic, and then they followed.

The AFL allow massive concessions to expansion teams. Would NRL fans accept similar concessions in our game? The NRL has done this with Melbourne and they are one of most despised teams in the comp. The NRL aren't as open about it as the AFL. I'd be pretty annoyed if the Dolphins are gifted success.

Now as far as the salary cap goes. It's broken because the integrity unit is toothless. I've said this before but the actual salary cap should work but as soon as the NRL relinquishes control of it to clubs, they lose any oversight of what is really going on.

The NRL is paying the salaries of all players through the grants so why aren't they just managing the salary negotiations? Take it out of the clubs' hands. The NRL then needs access to the tax records of players (and family) to audit income.

The NRL could also manage TPAs. Sponsors go through a submission process to the NRL and the NRL distributes those TPAs evenly to all teams. Of course having an even distribution of FTA games is also required.
They lead on COVID. You’ll be vaccinated or you won’t play, no ifs or buts. The NRL found it all too hard and dumped it on the clubs. And they have a draft, which works. My comment stands.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

sprintman wrote:
Colk wrote:

Yeah you’re kidding yourself with most of this gergs - AFL is a far more professionally run organisation with greater memberships and following. NRL has a rusted loyal market that will accept whatever the NRL provides so the need for change is almost now existent.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

sprintman wrote: January 4, 2022, 12:00 pm
Colk wrote:
Matt wrote: January 3, 2022, 11:17 am

Most would agree this is 1 of the worst run pro sports in the world - could be the worst TBH

I would actually say that NRL is a game played by professionals but run by amateurs whilst AFL is a game played by amateurs but run by professionals. It is funny how much the administration of a game can make a difference
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

sprintman wrote:
Colk wrote:

Were they a lot worse with COVID? They started their competition a week or two after the NRL and they could afford to do so because they are/were as revenue constrained as RL. In essence, they could afford to wait, rugby league had to do what they did. Lucky for V’landys it didn’t blow up in his face but he has gotten way too much credit in the bank for what he did (the 6 again debacle has wiped away any credit in my book)

Whether or not supporters would agree, expansion teams should get some dispensations for an initial period because they are inherently disadvantaged. Storm were a bit different because they could pick players from a large number of players from defunct clubs, however, without that context, you have to encourage players to take a punt on joining a new side because they would be naturally disinclined to and I don’t blame them - refer to the Dolphins.

Also, look at the record between our expansion sides and their expansion sides and you tell me which code has done it better

I agree with your ideas on the cap in theory, although, I don’t know how that would work. Does somebody from the NRL sit in on all player negotiations? Are they doing the negotiations and then assigning them to each club?
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Colk wrote: January 4, 2022, 6:26 pm
Colk wrote:

I would actually say that NRL is a game played by professionals but run by amateurs whilst AFL is a game played by amateurs but run by professionals. It is funny how much the administration of a game can make a difference
Amateurs with a much higher average salary.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I thought the AFL actually borrowed more money when both comps stopped?
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

sprintman wrote: January 4, 2022, 7:53 pm
Colk wrote: January 4, 2022, 6:26 pm

Amateurs with a much higher average salary.
That’s what they call irony. Seriously, the fact that some people refer to it as Australia’s game is almost a reason to renounce my citizenship.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Do they really? They’ve got a list size of 44 players and a cap of 13.4m for 2022 according to my quick google search
That’s $304k average

The nrl has 30 player rosters and 10 mil
That’s a $333k average
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Botman wrote: January 4, 2022, 8:46 pm Do they really? They’ve got a list size of 44 players and a cap of 13.4m for 2022 according to my quick google search
That’s $304k average

The nrl has 30 player rosters and 10 mil
That’s a $333k average
Last full year (2019) AFL player average $363,430. Less in 2020 due to fewer games.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I actually think the salary cap in its current form is the best we're going to get as far as levelling out the competition. We don't need a draft either. We really should just fork out the extra dollars and spend on junior development. We should be trying to create an atmosphere like Penrith, where every junior in the ACT and even most of the country towns in NSW want to play for the club over any other. We don't have to see our location as a disadvantage, it could be an advantage in the sense that we're in the bush away from Sydney and we've got a potentially large area of talent to tap into.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Raiders_Pat wrote: January 5, 2022, 6:22 am I actually think the salary cap in its current form is the best we're going to get as far as levelling out the competition. We don't need a draft either. We really should just fork out the extra dollars and spend on junior development. We should be trying to create an atmosphere like Penrith, where every junior in the ACT and even most of the country towns in NSW want to play for the club over any other. We don't have to see our location as a disadvantage, it could be an advantage in the sense that we're in the bush away from Sydney and we've got a potentially large area of talent to tap into.
The club did this for years. And the first glimpse of success for the top team came almost as soon as the club very openly and honestly dumped the junior policy and concentrated on buying in players at different stages of their career
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gergreg wrote:I thought the AFL actually borrowed more money when both comps stopped?
A quick google search indicates that the NRL borrowed $250 million to get through the covid shut-down and the AFL borrowed double that. Sports followers in this country are just more accepting of the AFL kool-aid.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I too want the Raiders to develop its young players and we have examples like Papa and Jack to prove it can be done at a quality level. We have had difficulty in developing Halfbacks and 9's since Sticky and Boxhead. I think where there is a deficiency in key positions then why not look everywhere Eg the English connection which gave us Hodgo and George Williams. EW and Sutton have also been very good for us.

Savage is coming through as an exciting player. I hope young Trevilyan can fulfil his promise at 9. Most clubs though, have a mix of locally developed youngsters and combine them with older players in areas of deficiency. Then the coaching staff has to have all players on board to ensure the mixture is NRL competitive. Sticky has been coaching the Raiders for 8 seasons. The squad is his. Time for performance consistency or change.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

julian87 wrote: January 5, 2022, 8:34 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: January 5, 2022, 6:22 am I actually think the salary cap in its current form is the best we're going to get as far as levelling out the competition. We don't need a draft either. We really should just fork out the extra dollars and spend on junior development. We should be trying to create an atmosphere like Penrith, where every junior in the ACT and even most of the country towns in NSW want to play for the club over any other. We don't have to see our location as a disadvantage, it could be an advantage in the sense that we're in the bush away from Sydney and we've got a potentially large area of talent to tap into.
The club did this for years. And the first glimpse of success for the top team came almost as soon as the club very openly and honestly dumped the junior policy and concentrated on buying in players at different stages of their career
I'd argue that our recruitment was very poor previously though. We had no strategy. If we combined our sharp recruitment with strong juniors coming through, we wouldn't be whinging about Canberra being a crap location and all the other excuses we constantly hear around here. We're never going to recruit the best players so I think it's essential we reinvest in our junior development. Our two highest paid, highest rated players in Wighton and Papalii came through as juniors.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: January 5, 2022, 3:15 pm
julian87 wrote: January 5, 2022, 8:34 am
I'd argue that our recruitment was very poor previously though. We had no strategy. If we combined our sharp recruitment with strong juniors coming through, we wouldn't be whinging about Canberra being a crap location and all the other excuses we constantly hear around here. We're never going to recruit the best players so I think it's essential we reinvest in our junior development. Our two highest paid, highest rated players in Wighton and Papalii came through as juniors.
I hate to think what effect Pete Mullhollands passing will have on our recruitment
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: January 5, 2022, 9:18 am
gergreg wrote:I thought the AFL actually borrowed more money when both comps stopped?
A quick google search indicates that the NRL borrowed $250 million to get through the covid shut-down and the AFL borrowed double that. Sports followers in this country are just more accepting of the AFL kool-aid.
An even quicker google search shows that in 2019 (last pre-covid year) the NRL was a $500m business whereas the AFL clubs raked in over $1.5b. I’d say borrowing double the amount to maintain a business three times more profitable is better economic outcome.

http://www.footyindustry.com/?p=36848

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/2020/nrl ... 019_hr.pdf
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:
An even quicker google search shows that in 2019 (last pre-covid year) the NRL was a $500m business whereas the AFL clubs raked in over $1.5b. I’d say borrowing double the amount to maintain a business three times more profitable is better economic outcome.

Over the years GE and I have discussed the pros and cons of the game owning their own stadium/s. GE was always against it because it's a liability and covid was an example of problems it can cause.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: January 6, 2022, 7:18 am
Billy Walker wrote:

Over the years GE and I have discussed the pros and cons of the game owning their own stadium/s. GE was always against it because it's a liability and covid was an example of problems it can cause.
That’s nice.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

While I'm not a fan of the 6 again rule, it has somewhat nullified the storms wrestling that I hated even more.

What irritated me more over the years are the new unnecessary rules like the 2 point FG, yet they don't enforce essential rules like off side or correct ptb.

2021 seen my interest in the game (in pretty much everything actually) at an all time low. However 2022 is looking to be a better year, and even though covid will present challenges (particularly this new Variant they found in France), I am looking forward to the season.

I like our backline even though I have reservations about Croker. I think Fogs will be Sezer mark 2 and afgtnks head will explode, but Fog is a better option than Sam or Frawley.

As for the nrl, it's in a better position than ever before. Abdo and PVL give me more hope than TG and John Grant or Peter Beattie ever did.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders season preview, roster analysis, predicted finish, round 1 best 17

It was a brutal fall from grace for Ricky Stuart’s side after the excellence of 2019 and 2020. But they do have undeniable quality and armed with a new halfback in Jamal Fogarty and a fresh outlook, the Raiders bear close watching in 2022.

It took all year, but by the final rounds of 2021 the Raiders had dug up two backline gems in Harley Smith-Shields and Matthew Timoko. Both the youngsters give outstanding yardage, and when combined with Jordan Rapana and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad in the backline and Josh Papalii and Joseph Tapine in the forwards, the Raiders should be able to gain as many metres as they want next season.

COACH SAFETY RATING: C
FREE AGENCY RATING: B
WHO TAKES THE NEXT STEP? Hudson Young
WHICH PLAYER CAN THEY REINVENT? Corey Horsburgh
UPGRADED KIDS TO MAKE AN IMPACT? Xavier Savage
IT’S A BIG YEAR FOR Jack Wighton
HOW THEY’LL GO IN 2022? 8th

2021 RICH LIST -6

92 - Jarrod Croker ($470,000)
76 - Elliott Whitehead ($582,000)
69 - Joseph Tapine ($611,000)
58 - Josh Papalii ($658,000)
44 - Josh Hodgson ($705,000)
26 - Jack Wighton ($846,000)

Best 17 for 2022
1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Harley Smith-Shields
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Adam Elliott

14. Tom Starling
15. Corey Horsburgh
16. Ryan Sutton
17. Seb Kris

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 1d79347cd6
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

No Cotric?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote: January 6, 2022, 1:20 pm No Cotric?
I'd say it was written a while ago
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: January 6, 2022, 1:36 pm
Published yesterday, but they still have Simonsson listed in our squad, and no Cotric.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: January 6, 2022, 1:58 pm
Published yesterday, but they still have Simonsson listed in our squad, and no Cotric.
Written a while ago, published yesterday was my point
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I got a 2022 Raiders calendar for Chrissie that has-

Mr July..Bailey Simmonsen
Mr October..Ryan James
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

-PJ- wrote: January 6, 2022, 3:04 pm I got a 2022 Raiders calendar for Chrissie that has-

Mr July..Bailey Simmonsen
Mr October..Ryan James
You’d think the fact they only need to pick 12 players out of a squad of 30, they’d choose players that are more likely to remain at the club and actually play first grade. Yes both of those players were still contracted here for this year before being released, but neither were guaranteed starters.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I think giving us 8th is very generous from this journo. Not that I think we can't make it, I just think there are quite a few squads that have improved whereas ours has kind of just gone sideways. The advantage we have is the core of this squad has been together for some time now, and they all know each other's games well. Our senior players have all been international standard footy players too, not a lot of teams have that. We just need them all to perform to the high standard they're capable of.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: January 6, 2022, 2:41 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 6, 2022, 1:58 pm
Written a while ago, published yesterday was my point
Was agreeing.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: January 6, 2022, 8:48 pm
Quite a good assessment imo. Most of the time reading these things, I get the feeling these guys don't watch many of our games. But this is fair.

My ladder prediction for next year this early in the piece would probably have Storm, Roosters, Penrith and Manly in the top four, then Bunnies, Eels, Sharks, Titans and us to fight out the bottom four. I think Eels are a good chance to drop out of the eight or at least fall to eighth. The Bunnies will fall a bit from last year imo but it's hard to think they won't make it. Knights have a few question marks but could be a shot, and then there are teams like Broncos and Bulldogs that have secured some solid signatures going in to 2022 (I personally don't think it will be enough but they will definitely be better). So it's going to be tough. But there's no good reason why we can't make it to the top of that bottom half of the top 8 group.