The Politics Thread 2022

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Off
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2022

Post by Off »

Who is advising albo to do interviews with a poodle on his lap, I mean way to pull the votes albo.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Question wrote:Who is advising albo to do interviews with a poodle on his lap, I mean way to pull the votes albo.

Poodles are a popular breed Q. Now we wait for Scomo to come back out anti-Poodles, and declaring “How good are Staffy’s?!”
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Atleast it isnt a pussy i suppose, Havent had much to do with poodles so probably being a bit racist.

This place is woke.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I haven’t dealt with them much either, but all the Poodle X’s are in at the moment.

I say that while my two Spitzoodles are looking back at me
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Haha, youll give them a complex Fui, go give em a hug for me mate.

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Btw i cant stand staffys, im a border collie man myself.

This place is woke.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I don’t mind a Staffy. They warmed to me as a breed when I was a Meter Reader. You meet a lot of Dogs in that job.

The one that stood out to me was this Scottish Terrier. The meter box was around the back of the house, so I had to go through the garage and into the backyard. This little legend was in a pen along with the box, with a water gun hanging on the fence. He was sitting, staring at me. I opened the gate and the dog bolted. I spent 15 mins chasing this little guy down the street, finally catching him when he hid under someone’s front stair.

I carried him back, and the owner told me I was meant to squirt him with the water gun, and go into the pen while he was distracted by the water.

Nickman's love of NSW
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

So...

Are the LNP getting returned again in a few months or what?
Up The Milk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Depends on what dog Scomo gets interviewed with.

Nickman's love of NSW
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

Mickey_Raider wrote: January 9, 2022, 4:12 pm So...

Are the LNP getting returned again in a few months or what?
:thumbsup They've done a good job, all thing considered.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

I find myself struggling to tell if you are being sarcastic or not…
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Well the GH now has an elected mayor as a member.

The first step to wrestling control of the Canberra Raiders Board has been completed.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Schifty wrote: January 13, 2022, 10:02 am Well the GH now has an elected mayor as a member.

The first step to wrestling control of the Canberra Raiders Board has been completed.
And not a moment too soon
Hail! Hail the great man, KW!

King of QBN. Long may he reign.
Last edited by Botman on January 14, 2022, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Nice one! Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Congratulations to the honourable Sir Kay Dubya.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Yeah Scomo needs to get it, or atleast pretend hes got it, to win the next election, watch this space.

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Re: The Politics Thread 2022

Post by Off »

Actually looking at the alternatives scomo could EDIT and still get in, and perrottet has some balls , i like that.

This place is woke.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Not overly surprised by this. icare copped the same criticism while under the reign of Dom. Spend crazy on middle management and senior execs, share the blame when you don’t support front line workers

Nickman's love of NSW
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Has the labor party ever cut down the number of EL positions in any government?

By the way I think the growth of the overpaid over hyped middle management of the NSW Govt is a bit sad.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

papabear wrote:Has the labor party ever cut down the number of EL positions in any government?

By the way I think the growth of the overpaid over hyped middle management of the NSW Govt is a bit sad.
Yes. When Abbott came to power it was claimed that they decreased the public service considerably. However Abbott and his supporters pointed out that Gillard/Rudd had reduced the public service prior to the Liberal party gaining power.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

gergreg wrote: January 18, 2022, 1:44 pm
papabear wrote:Has the labor party ever cut down the number of EL positions in any government?

Yes. When Abbott came to power it was claimed that they decreased the public service considerably. However Abbott and his supporters pointed out that Gillard/Rudd had reduced the public service prior to the Liberal party gaining power.
That is going to cause a fair bit of cognitive dissonance.

Much like those who cling to the "vibe" that the LNP are the lower taxing government when actually the two highest taxing governments over the past 60 odd years are the Howard and Morrison governments. And yes that includes the Whitlam government too.

Another classic is the vibe that the LNP are somehow more "fiscally responsible", despite doubling net debt before COVID.

To be clear, the LNP are failing on many fronts, but the above two metrics are those they literally set for themselves as to why they should be in government. And they are second best even on those.
Up The Milk
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Total public service level isn’t really the point here.

Increasing teachers / nurses / police where needed is all good in the hood.

It’s the size of ELs both from a tax payer perspective and a distorting the economy perspective.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Mickey_Raider wrote: January 18, 2022, 3:33 pm

That is going to cause a fair bit of cognitive dissonance.

Much like those who cling to the "vibe" that the LNP are the lower taxing government when actually the two highest taxing governments over the past 60 odd years are the Howard and Morrison governments. And yes that includes the Whitlam government too.

Another classic is the vibe that the LNP are somehow more "fiscally responsible", despite doubling net debt before COVID.

To be clear, the LNP are failing on many fronts, but the above two metrics are those they literally set for themselves as to why they should be in government. And they are second best even on those.
last time I looked at the data generally speak labor were dreadful when it came to not producing a massive deficit.

Whereas the liberal / coalition were ok.

As for the general tax take - I dont find this point persuasive as Howard bought in the GST specifically to get more money in so this was always going to happen. FTR I supported labor at this point, and stand by my position on not giving money to the govt when it can be avoided.

As for the general balance of the budget.

IMO - two massive things should be addressed:-
- 1 - individual higher incomes are taxed too high. Company tax rates should never have been decreased.
- 2 - There is too much Family Tax benefit / single parent support etc etc where it makes financial sense for people both earning 80k to 'split' and tbh at this point theres every chance they are receiving more in cash from the govt then they are paying back through direct taxes.

What I would like to see:-
- 1 - income tax rates at the top end decreased so as not to motivate people to minimise their income. I would also look at having less tax brackets, potentially upping the 18200 no tax bracket having one lower bracket to 50-60k, then everyone on the top bracket.
- 2 - company tax rates - increased up to 30% - potentially even higher to 35% to marry up with the top income tax rate.
- 3 - I would get rid of Family tax benefit A and B, I would also look at tightening up the single parent support system, I would also fix up the child support system.

Of all three of the above I see labor staying away from it all, whereas the coalition will be stupid on company tax and may one day move the top tax rate down by a piss ant amount.

I would also abolish:-
- Capital Gains Tax - being taxed on holding assets that dont get depreciated by the government printing money is offensive to me.
- With CGT gone you can get rid off claiming tax deductions on your income from negatively geared property / shares / other assets...

Of the above - I dont see any govt ever cedeing the above territory, but imo it will go towards making a fairer more equitable country.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

papabear wrote: January 18, 2022, 4:18 pm As for the general tax take - I dont find this point persuasive as Howard bought in the GST specifically to get more money in so this was always going to happen.
Trying to get my head around your logic here.

So the data shows that Labor is in fact the lower taxing government....but this is not persuasive because the Howard government...introduced a tax?

:hmmm

Sounds like the sizzling sound of cognitive dissonance.
Up The Milk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

papabear wrote:

It’s the size of ELs both from a tax payer perspective and a distorting the economy perspective.
I'm not sure this distinction or level of detail is made public?

Edit, actually you could probably find this information if you dig around, Annual Reports will show it but I'm not sure if the data is published in one place? The keyword/s here are "you".
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gergreg wrote: January 18, 2022, 6:15 pm
papabear wrote:

I'm not sure this distinction or level of detail is made public?

Edit, actually you could probably find this information if you dig around, Annual Reports will show it but I'm not sure if the data is published in one place? The keyword/s here are "you".
I am good, I am sure if either political party can show the data showing them in a positive light against their opposition they will share it with us soon enough :)
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Mickey_Raider wrote: January 18, 2022, 6:00 pm
papabear wrote: January 18, 2022, 4:18 pm As for the general tax take - I dont find this point persuasive as Howard bought in the GST specifically to get more money in so this was always going to happen.

So the data shows that Labor is in fact the lower taxing government....but this is not persuasive because the Howard government...introduced a tax?

Spare me the use of cognitive dissonance.

I will try and flesh my position out a bit more so hopefully I can avoid copping a new word you hear yesterday that you thought made you sound intelligent.

The total tax take isn't the general argument against the labor party, the general argument is that they tend to spend way more then they bring in. Which the data supports. People dont generally think the liberal /coalition are low taxing federal government, they may think they are better then labor to a greater extent (if at all) then they are... but this is not the general argument used.

The total tax take, tends to increase (except recently with the economy in a funny place) as time goes on as inflation takes hold...

That all said, I do think you have a point in that if people are voting for the coalition because they consider them lower taxing then that point isn't accurate nor borne out in the data might be accurate, I am just not sure that is the case.

In any event, I can't speak for what other people vote for, only what I would. My economic thoughts I have made clear where I stand, and to be honest I am leaning into voting on environmental points heavier and heavier...

Out of interest, how and why do you vote a certain way?
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

papabear wrote: January 19, 2022, 1:16 pm The total tax take isn't the general argument against the labor party, the general argument is that they tend to spend way more then they bring in. Which the data supports.
papabear wrote: January 19, 2022, 1:16 pm The total tax take, tends to increase (except recently with the economy in a funny place) as time goes on as inflation takes hold...
The data does not support this. The data shows that in terms of taxes relative to GDP — that is as a percentage of GDP — Labor is the lower taxing party. We are not talking about some situation whereby the gross taxation is higher only because the economy has boomed or inflated under the Coalition and as a corollary so too has the gross tax take.
papabear wrote: January 19, 2022, 1:16 pm People dont generally think the liberal /coalition are low taxing federal government, they may think they are better then labor to a greater extent (if at all) then they are... but this is not the general argument used.
papabear wrote: January 19, 2022, 1:16 pm That all said, I do think you have a point in that if people are voting for the coalition because they consider them lower taxing then that point isn't accurate nor borne out in the data might be accurate, I am just not sure that is the case.

In any event, I can't speak for what other people vote for, only what I would.
Can't agree with the above. The reason why the likes of Frydenberg and Morrison continue to sloganeer that they are the government of low taxes and fiscal responsibility ad nauseam is because they know it is fertile ground. Even though government is as bloated as it has ever been and taxes are higher and the debt larger than it has ever been; it appears to accord with the "vibe" and ethos of what a Liberal government stands for. So they continue to say it and it continues to be accepted by a large cross section of society.
Up The Milk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

papabear wrote:
Mickey_Raider wrote: January 18, 2022, 6:00 pm

Spare me the use of cognitive dissonance.

I will try and flesh my position out a bit more so hopefully I can avoid copping a new word you hear yesterday that you thought made you sound intelligent.

The total tax take isn't the general argument against the labor party, the general argument is that they tend to spend way more then they bring in. Which the data supports. People dont generally think the liberal /coalition are low taxing federal government, they may think they are better then labor to a greater extent (if at all) then they are... but this is not the general argument used.

The total tax take, tends to increase (except recently with the economy in a funny place) as time goes on as inflation takes hold...

That all said, I do think you have a point in that if people are voting for the coalition because they consider them lower taxing then that point isn't accurate nor borne out in the data might be accurate, I am just not sure that is the case.

In any event, I can't speak for what other people vote for, only what I would. My economic thoughts I have made clear where I stand, and to be honest I am leaning into voting on environmental points heavier and heavier...

Out of interest, how and why do you vote a certain way?
Environmental points? I never took you for an Australian Greens voter, but good on you!
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Does anyone have any children or grandchildren they would like to volunteer for forklift duty to save the supply chains?
Up The Milk
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Botman should have passed that on thru his linage.

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

ST marys/ The Riff lost a goodun that day.

This place is woke.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Do Forklift licenses expire? I got one when I was 18. I’ll put my hand up.

When I first moved to Sydney, this old guy I boarded with told me to get my RSA and Forklift licenses and I can get work anywhere in the world. Looks like the time is now for Fui

Nickman's love of NSW
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

They expire mate, ya just need to renew at the post office.

This place is woke.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

A job for tomorrow then.

Nickman's love of NSW