NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt »

Broncos requested permission to interview Patriots LB coach Jerod Mayo for their HC job, per source.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Bears have fired HC Matt Nagy, per @adamschefter
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Kupp OPOTY
Chase OROTY
TJ Watt DPOTY
Parsons DROTY
ARod MVP

Sound right?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: January 11, 2022, 5:02 am Kupp OPOTY
Chase OROTY
TJ Watt DPOTY
Parsons DROTY
ARod MVP

Sound right?
Yep, I think that’s 100% spot on
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Flores being fired surprised me a little
Though it probably shouldn’t, there were issues there in terms of the coaching structure with two oc’s which was weird, a lack of success and getting the best from Tua
So I guess it sort of makes, but I thought he’d hold on to the job for one more year

Assuming the dolphins will go offensive minded, seems the insiders have already put a kybosh on the Jim Harbough thing

Fangio got a bit of a tough deal too.. their issues were at qb, which was not his domain, he did as good a job as expected given the qbs he was given. Their defence always played well. But all that being said, I don’t really believe in defensive minded coaches for teams who need so much work on offence. The roster is strong, but they need someone who can scheme it up to make it easier to get by with their qb situation. Going forward you want someone who can identify and potentially develop a qb… so tough break but I think it’s the right move. Whoever gets Fangio as a DC will instantly have the best DC in football imo… the la chargers loom given his relationship with Staley

Nagy and Zimmer firings were a long time coming and very much needed and expected. Not much to say. Other than I expect both will be excellent coordinator hires. I don’t expect Nagy to get another HC chance… Zimmer I think could get another chance
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I’m surprised by Flores. I’d think he’d get another HC job, maybe not in this hiring cycle but in the near future.

Is Pigman said, Fangio got a bit of a raw deal. Not much he could do with the QB situation he was left with.

Zimmer seems like a good hire for a **** franchise like the jaguars. Kind of like how Rivera was a good hire for the WFT.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I'm of the firm opinion that the biggest problem with the Dolphins sits right at the top with the owner. The franchise has been mired in mediocrity ever since Ross took over. Time for the senile old codger to move along.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Dallas Cowboys’ 2022 opponents:

HOME: Bears, Bengals, Buccaneers, Colts, Lions, Texans, Eagles, Giants, Washington

ROAD: Jaguars, Packers, Rams, Titans, Vikings, Eagles, Giants, Washington

This is a seriously up and down draw, but 3 super hard road games.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Broncos requested permission to interview Packers’ OC Nathaniel Hackett for their HC job, per source.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 11, 2022, 6:33 am I'm of the firm opinion that the biggest problem with the Dolphins sits right at the top with the owner. The franchise has been mired in mediocrity ever since Ross took over. Time for the senile old codger to move along.
Yeah I think that’s the case with a lot of franchises
It’s very hard to win in the nfl with poor ownership, particularly when they’re as hands on a Stephen Ross

The more I think about it the more wild it is to me that Flores is fired and the main reason he wasn’t successful was the QB selection and the OL, which was a disgrace… but that’s the GM’s doing, and the GM is staying

Very strange decision. It would make more sense to clean house and start again than to just fire Flores
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 11, 2022, 7:22 am
Northern Raider wrote: January 11, 2022, 6:33 am I'm of the firm opinion that the biggest problem with the Dolphins sits right at the top with the owner. The franchise has been mired in mediocrity ever since Ross took over. Time for the senile old codger to move along.
Yeah I think that’s the case with a lot of franchises
It’s very hard to win in the nfl with poor ownership, particularly when they’re as hands on a Stephen Ross

The more I think about it the more wild it is to me that Flores is fired and the main reason he wasn’t successful was the QB selection and the OL, which was a disgrace… but that’s the GM’s doing, and the GM is staying

Very strange decision. It would make more sense to clean house and start again than to just fire Flores
Hearing a lot of stories coming out as to what's behind the sacking. Hard to filter truth from speculation. Expect more clarity in the coming weeks.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hmmm yeah that's interesting, there has to be more to this, because on the surface it doesnt make a ton of sense imo
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Obviously something behind closed doors. Otherwise there's no way you fire a coach that's had back to back winning seasons. Even his first year he got 5 more wins than most people expected as they were supposed to be tanking for draft picks.

One key point is it might end the Watson to Miami trade scenario. It was reported that Watson wanted to play under Flores and happy to waive the no-trade clause to do so.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Gettleman retiring must be a concern for you NFC East guys.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 11, 2022, 10:34 am Gettleman retiring must be a concern for you NFC East guys.
Nah. That roster and coaching staff (Judge staying) still stinks. Got at least a couple of yrs before we worry
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: January 11, 2022, 10:36 am
Northern Raider wrote: January 11, 2022, 10:34 am Gettleman retiring must be a concern for you NFC East guys.
Nah. That roster and coaching staff (Judge staying) still stinks. Got at least a couple of yrs before we worry
Your concern is that they can now turn it around. No way it was happening under Gettleman.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I've seen it rumoured they'll strongly consider promoting from within... which would be delightful
But yeah an outside hire would be disappointing, it would give them hope of getting out of this mess... though i must confess i dont really have a great deal of confidence in their decision makers to make the right hire, so its not a HUGE concern... but they could luck into something for sure.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

NCCG is on right now, good chance to get a look at an Alabama team that will put another 22 first and second day picks into NFL teams over the next few years, and a Georgia Bulldogs team who have the most ridiculous NFL ready defence i've ever seen in college
Legit every one of the Dawgs starters on defence might be first rounders :lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 11, 2022, 11:23 am NCCG is on right now, good chance to get a look at an Alabama team that will put another 22 first and second day picks into NFL teams over the next few years, and a Georgia Bulldogs team who have the most ridiculous NFL ready defence i've ever seen in college
Legit every one of the Dawgs starters on defence might be first rounders :lol:
Damn! WOW!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Chicago has requested permission to interview Bills’ OC Brian Daboll for the Bears’ HC job, per source.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Its not just Zimmer, Vikings are parting ways with GM Rick Spielman.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Not just Nagyx, Bears let go GM Ryan Pace.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:Obviously something behind closed doors. Otherwise there's no way you fire a coach that's had back to back winning seasons. Even his first year he got 5 more wins than most people expected as they were supposed to be tanking for draft picks.

One key point is it might end the Watson to Miami trade scenario. It was reported that Watson wanted to play under Flores and happy to waive the no-trade clause to do so.
A falling out with Tua is one. Backing your QB over the HC.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Really good to see WR George Pickens make some plays here
He was pretty much a sure fire first round pick coming into this year, then he did an ACL... he's come back 8 months after the surgery, strong performance here could go a long way to getting him back into the first round conversation
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Jamison Williams just did his ACL by the looks of it?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

PrimetimeRaider wrote: January 11, 2022, 12:13 pm Jamison Williams just did his ACL by the looks of it?
Yeah im holding my breath for him, but it didnt look good
That would be devastating for the kid
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 11, 2022, 12:16 pm
PrimetimeRaider wrote: January 11, 2022, 12:13 pm Jamison Williams just did his ACL by the looks of it?
Was a potential top 10 draft pick.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: January 11, 2022, 11:38 am Chicago has requested permission to interview Bills’ OC Brian Daboll for the Bears’ HC job, per source.
He's going to be the most in demand guy on the market. Reckon Dolphins will go all out for him.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 11, 2022, 12:44 pm
Matt wrote: January 11, 2022, 11:38 am Chicago has requested permission to interview Bills’ OC Brian Daboll for the Bears’ HC job, per source.
He's going to be the most in demand guy on the market. Reckon Dolphins will go all out for him.
Would make sense for the dolphins, Daboll was Tua's OC and QB's coach at Alabama in 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 11, 2022, 1:15 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 11, 2022, 12:44 pm
Would make sense for the dolphins, Daboll was Tua's OC and QB's coach at Alabama in 2017
He also turned a young talented, yet incosistent QB at Buffalo into one of the NFL's best.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I don’t care how little Roseman cares about LB’s… the clowns on this roster couldn’t make a play for the second straight season, if Nakobe Dean is on the board with their #15 pick and we don’t draft him I’ll be so god damn furious

I don’t think he’ll be there, expecting him to be top 10 pick but because he’s an off ball line backer there is at least a chance he falls
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Bears requested permission to interview both Bucs coordinators, OC Byron Leftwich and DC Todd Bowles, per league source.

So Bears interested in both Bucs coordinators and both Bills coordinators, Brian Daboll and Leslie Frazier.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Absolutely gutted... the Giants have fired Joe Judge
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 12, 2022, 9:26 am Absolutely gutted... the Giants have fired Joe Judge
Nooooooooooooooooooooo.
They now have a chance to be competent (I said 'chance', even if its by dumb luck Botman).
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 11, 2022, 12:39 pm
Botman wrote: January 11, 2022, 12:16 pm
Was a potential top 10 draft pick.
Alabama's Jameson Williams, the projected top WR in the 2022 NFL Draft, tore his ACL last night vs. Georgia, per sources. Doctors believe that, after surgery within the next 10 days, Williams will retain his sub 4.3 speed, and they expect a full recovery.

As per Adam Schefter