POLL: Strongest 2022 line up: Props

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will join Josh Papalii at starting prop in 2022?

Emre Guler
No votes
Peter Hola
6%
Corey Horsburgh
3%
Ryan Sutton
31%
Joe Tapine
60%

Total votes: 35

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What's your strongest possible 2022 Canberra Raiders line up? That's what we are asking the readers of The Greenhouse. We're looking at the "Locks and contenders" for each position in the team in a special series of articles. Some players have clearly locked down their spot but we're looking at all the contenders for places in the Green Machine's top 17. For contentious positions, we're supplementing the discussion with a series of polls.

Josh Papalii has a "lock" on one starting prop spot. In the third of those polls, we're asking which prop should join him in a starting role up front.

Remember, we're looking at the strongest possible team, irrespective of injuries.

Click here to read more: Locks and contenders: Props

You have ONE vote in this poll.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: POLL: Strongest 2022 line up: Props

Post by Matt »

Ricky will pick Tapine, so I have here, but id separate our 2 big boppas by starting Sutto.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I went with Tapine, as per the article.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

The only argument I can see merit in not starting Tapine is if the plan's to bring him in around the 30min mark and not take him off. Otherwise I'd prefer to go old school and have our two best starting props starting the game. There's no reason why Sutton or Guler shouldn't be able to give us quality week in, week out off the bench at this stage of their careers. I think Hola will also be a handy weapon for us off the bench if given a chance.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I have high hopes for Guler.

He needs to string together plenty of footy without injuries.

Same as Hors as well.

Both guys have an upside.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Taps for me.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Ryan Sutton. Put no.10 on him, start him in that position and leave him there for the year. It ain't rocket science.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sleek the Elite wrote:Ryan Sutton. Put no.10 on him, start him in that position and leave him there for the year. It ain't rocket science.
I also like Sutton off the bench at Prop. He always upped the energy when he came on.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Probably Tarps last year so I expect him to have a big one.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Taps is comfortably our second best. That's how I'm approaching these polls. Rather than thinking about how I want to balance the team.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Tapine is definitely our second best prop but I voted Sutton as I feel he plays better starting and I think impact off the bench is important for our team.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Sutton. Tapine is significantly better. But if Hodgson is moving to loose forward you don't want Sutton on at prop when that happens because he doesn't make enough metres when running the ball.

And FWIW I reckon you should pick your lock first so you know what your 3rd middle is set to be before picking you're second starting prop.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: January 19, 2022, 5:26 am Sutton. Tapine is significantly better. But if Hodgson is moving to loose forward you don't want Sutton on at prop when that happens because he doesn't make enough metres when running the ball.

And FWIW I reckon you should pick your lock first so you know what your 3rd middle is set to be before picking you're second starting prop.
Most teams are going to a smaller guy at lock now anyway. As you have suggested, we are likely to see the Starlo/Hodgo combo again.

Which means your starting 13 is nearly irrelevant, as they only play that position 25mins. In our case, they probably end up in the prop (middle) rotation anyway, if they even return to the field - Lui and Sia often didn't.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Matt wrote: January 19, 2022, 11:58 am
julian87 wrote: January 19, 2022, 5:26 am Sutton. Tapine is significantly better. But if Hodgson is moving to loose forward you don't want Sutton on at prop when that happens because he doesn't make enough metres when running the ball.

Most teams are going to a smaller guy at lock now anyway. As you have suggested, we are likely to see the Starlo/Hodgo combo again.

Which means your starting 13 is nearly irrelevant, as they only play that position 25mins. In our case, they probably end up in the prop (middle) rotation anyway, if they even return to the field - Lui and Sia often didn't.
Hmm I don't really agree. Stuart has loomed hesitant to play Hodgson at 13 for long periods. And 3 lumbering props in the middle for any period is a massive no no for mine. 13 has to be one of Young or Elliott for mine. Sutton at 13 continuously was one of the biggest downfalls last season. It was just stubbornness from Stuart and not moving with the times.

13 has become one of the most important positions now with what the likes of Murray, Radley, Smith, Watson, Yeo, Peachey and Co offer. Just on that I find it absolutely disgusting that Connor Watson has landed back at Easts on less than what he was on at Newcastle. Absolutely mind boggling.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Poll declared for Joseph Tapine.