a measly 9000 with over a week to organise

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Northern Raider »

bonehead wrote: February 12, 2022, 5:26 pm Image a measly 9000 with over a week to organise

Only just short of the 500,000 target.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I read it was over 1 million cars???

When someone pointed out that would cause a line of traffic 7,000km long, the conversation stopped quite quickly.

Also read a post saying the book fair was probably shut so the organisers could attend the protest🤦‍♂️
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Nah according to one Nation there was 1.5 Million there yesterday.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

saw a Facebook post offering free bus to Canberra for it starting from the gold Coast pick up anywhere on the way, 5 buses with over a week to organise and they still had 180 spare seats

Edrick The Entertainer
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Yep, makes sense. Over 3 times the total population of the ACT managed to fit on the lawn out the front of Parliment house.

Reputable news outlets saying around 10,000, which is more than I expected to be honest.

In other completely irrelevant news, a ‘modest’ crowd of 12,000 watched a cricket match last night in Sydney.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm not sure 10,000 people would fit in that space in front of Parliament house. When I walked past on Tuesday there seemed to be as many Afghani protesters as 'freedom' protesters.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

1.2 Million cars entered Canberra and he said 2 per a car so there were 2.4 Million here.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

1992 wrote: February 12, 2022, 5:20 pm Bit more than a few thousand now..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

😎
No, it was indeed just a few thousand :lol:
and now the rats scatter... I feel really sorry for the easily led sheep like you, clinging to these charasmatic fringe lunatics who've all abandoned the ship at moment the going got tough.
It's genuinely sad to see people like you get hoodwinked like this.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

One of my FB friends shared a post from the protests in Canberra. Lead me down the rabbit hole and ended up looking at other group posts. They legitimately believe there were 1million plus people there. All the pics and clips show around 10,000 that police estimated. I'll be generous and say 15,000 assuming we can't see how many were in the corporate suites.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

1.4 million cars entered Canberra on Saturday.

2000 left this afternoon.

Yet Epic is empty.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

If anyone wants a summary of what happened last night.

https://cookerpedia.org/wiki/Cooker_Ope ... rand_Final

My MVP goes to Shannon
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Well I guess we now know why 12 people turned up outside Parliament house today to protest.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

A succinct summary of Camp Cooked

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Universal condemnation for the reprobates that trashed a crucial mental health charity event should be an absolute given, and probably the most uncontroversial stance ever.

And yet I have literally heard from a Convoy to Canberra sympathiser that — when it comes to foregone revenue of upwards of $1 million dollars on account of the event cancellation — it is the government's fault for not moving the Lifeline book fair and farmers markets.

It is apparently not the fault of the one's literally destroying event security fencing and hurling abuse at Lifeline volunteers. Volunteers merely trying to make a decent contribution to society.

To this dire state of affairs I appoint the goodest of grief.
Up The Milk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Mickey_Raider wrote: February 14, 2022, 7:27 pm Universal condemnation for the reprobates that trashed a crucial mental health charity event should be an absolute given, and probably the most uncontroversial stance ever.

And yet I have literally heard from a Convoy to Canberra sympathiser that — when it comes to foregone revenue of upwards of $1 million dollars on account of the event cancellation — it is the government's fault for not moving the Lifeline book fair and farmers markets.

It is apparently not the fault of the one's literally destroying event security fencing and hurling abuse at Lifeline volunteers. Volunteers merely trying to make a decent contribution to society.

To this dire state of affairs I appoint the goodest of grief.
Well there was 1.4 million people in an area that only accommodates 2000. Something had to give.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

The main purpose of this event was for a few grifters to fill their car boot with cash then abandon everyone.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Canberrans are used to their city being confused with federal parliament, but the recent protesters didn't understand the capital at all: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-16/ ... /100836566
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote:Canberrans are used to their city being confused with federal parliament, but the recent protesters didn't understand the capital at all: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-16/ ... /100836566
Not quite enough 'sheep' references for my liking.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: 2022 Trial 1 V Roosters: Teams and Game Day *Teams p1*

Post by gangrenous »

Finchy wrote:I honestly think that whilst everyone still freaks out about COVID and keeps testing for it and forcing isolation (they don't do that for the flu)
Probably because… *checks Botman’s notes*… it’s not the flu!
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

gangrenous wrote: February 20, 2022, 12:52 pm
Finchy wrote:I honestly think that whilst everyone still freaks out about COVID and keeps testing for it and forcing isolation (they don't do that for the flu)
Well until they start treating it like it is, it’s never going to end. So we either learn to live with it like it is the flu, or we get vaccinated every 3 months forever and keep wearing masks and checking in and isolating. Footy players can get used to being tested everyday for the rest of their careers.

The fact that the governments around the world are peeling back restrictions and saying only the most vulnerable should get a fourth jab moving forward (even though it’s been shown the vaccinations start wearing off in about 30 days or something and are basically down to 0% after 120 days) shows that they’re even slowly realising that the restrictions are unsustainable and we have to just live with it like it is the flu. I’m not going to debate it, obviously many disagree, but it’s my opinion regardless.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Remember when I mentioned the twice weekly RAT wouldn’t last long in NSW schools ?

Bingo..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Finchy wrote:
Well until they start treating it like it is, it’s never going to end. So we either learn to live with it like it is the flu, or we get vaccinated every 3 months forever and keep wearing masks and checking in and isolating. Footy players can get used to being tested everyday for the rest of their careers.

The fact that the governments around the world are peeling back restrictions and saying only the most vulnerable should get a fourth jab moving forward (even though it’s been shown the vaccinations start wearing off in about 30 days or something and are basically down to 0% after 120 days) shows that they’re even slowly realising that the restrictions are unsustainable and we have to just live with it like it is the flu. I’m not going to debate it, obviously many disagree, but it’s my opinion regardless.
You make it sound like all we had to do was pretend it was nothing and it would have been fine - Newsflash it wouldn’t have been and that’s thanks to the restrictions we’ve had. Yes restrictions are unwinding where safer now, and that’s where we’re heading. But implying it’s just a flu people overreacted to is insulting and ignorant.

Speaking of vaccinations starting to wear off, maybe you should not bother eating? I hear the energy from it starts to wear off in a day and it’s basically down to 0% in a few weeks.

It’s good you’re not going to debate it as it’ll save GE moving more posts to the COVID thread.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Coronavirus

Post by gangrenous »

Not surprised. But I think this is premature.

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/100845968 - “Data from the NSW Department of Education last week revealed more than 20,000 school children had tested positive for COVID-19 in the first two weeks of the school year and the number of cases among students was rising rapidly, with an almost 50 per cent increase between week one and week two.”

So they had 8k in week 1 and 12k in week 2 and they’re going to remove the testing to help limit the spread?

School kids can’t yet have had their second dose of the vaccine.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

gangrenous wrote: February 20, 2022, 3:23 pm
Finchy wrote:

You make it sound like all we had to do was pretend it was nothing and it would have been fine - Newsflash it wouldn’t have been and that’s thanks to the restrictions we’ve had. Yes restrictions are unwinding where safer now, and that’s where we’re heading. But implying it’s just a flu people overreacted to is insulting and ignorant.

Speaking of vaccinations starting to wear off, maybe you should not bother eating? I hear the energy from it starts to wear off in a day and it’s basically down to 0% in a few weeks.

It’s good you’re not going to debate it as it’ll save GE moving more posts to the COVID thread.
I’m not even go to dignify that false equivalence with eating with a response.

And I think people have over reacted. Not sure how we’re heading into a “safer” world now. It’s shown that the current vaccines wear off quickly, are ineffective at preventing the infection and transmission of Omicron and likely any new variants that will pop up, there’s 10s of thousands of cases spreading in the community every day, yet we’re opening back up and getting rid of masks and check ins? Maybe the governments have realised that there’s been an overreaction, it’s now unsustainable, and we just have to live with it. Yes people will still die, but *checks notes* we’re all going to die anyway. Those over 80 with underlying health issues are on the way out regardless, it’s a fact of life.

Ben Fordham touched on this the other day.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.dai ... eaths.html
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Its worn off me let me tell ya.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

gangrenous wrote: February 20, 2022, 3:31 pm Not surprised. But I think this is premature.

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/100845968 - “Data from the NSW Department of Education last week revealed more than 20,000 school children had tested positive for COVID-19 in the first two weeks of the school year and the number of cases among students was rising rapidly, with an almost 50 per cent increase between week one and week two.”

So they had 8k in week 1 and 12k in week 2 and they’re going to remove the testing to help limit the spread?

Hmm, 20,000 cases and counting? How many died? None? And most of them aren't vaccinated? Sure, no-one overreacted.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

2 tests per week per kid.

How many kids ?

They canned it because of the cost.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Finchy wrote: And I think people have over reacted. Not sure how we’re heading into a “safer” world now. It’s shown that the current vaccines wear off quickly, are ineffective at preventing the infection and transmission of Omicron and likely any new variants that will pop up, there’s 10s of thousands of cases spreading in the community every day, yet we’re opening back up and getting rid of masks and check ins? Maybe the governments have realised that there’s been an overreaction, it’s now unsustainable, and we just have to live with it. Yes people will still die, but *checks notes* we’re all going to die anyway. Those over 80 with underlying health issues are on the way out regardless, it’s a fact of life.

How do I put this politely… Ben Fordham is irresponsible, and doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Gullible fools lap it up because it’s what they want to hear.

This article looks at the outcome after all of the hard work and restrictions you are railing about and then pretends like that implies that it wasn’t so bad after all.

It’s like saying we’ve developed an operation that cures cancer 99/100. Then at the end of the trial saying well turned out only one of our participants died from this cancer and they had several other problems that made them harder to save. Guess the cancer isn’t so bad after all, we wasted all those operations.

I mean **** me sideways you have case studies over the rest of the world that shows the number of deaths countries that didn’t take our precautions had! This line of “reasoning” is mind-numbingly stupid.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Finchy wrote:
gangrenous wrote: February 20, 2022, 3:31 pm Not surprised. But I think this is premature.

Hmm, 20,000 cases and counting? How many died? None? And most of them aren't vaccinated? Sure, no-one overreacted.
1. Death is not the only poor outcome
2. Teachers work there, you might have seen one died this week after testing positive in her 40s. https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-ac ... 5f1f9780f7.
3. These kids go home to parents and older relatives.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

gangrenous wrote: February 20, 2022, 4:21 pm
Finchy wrote: And I think people have over reacted. Not sure how we’re heading into a “safer” world now. It’s shown that the current vaccines wear off quickly, are ineffective at preventing the infection and transmission of Omicron and likely any new variants that will pop up, there’s 10s of thousands of cases spreading in the community every day, yet we’re opening back up and getting rid of masks and check ins? Maybe the governments have realised that there’s been an overreaction, it’s now unsustainable, and we just have to live with it. Yes people will still die, but *checks notes* we’re all going to die anyway. Those over 80 with underlying health issues are on the way out regardless, it’s a fact of life.

How do I put this politely… Ben Fordham is irresponsible, and doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Gullible fools lap it up because it’s what they want to hear.

This article looks at the outcome after all of the hard work and restrictions you are railing about and then pretends like that implies that it wasn’t so bad after all.

It’s like saying we’ve developed an operation that cures cancer 99/100. Then at the end of the trial saying well turned out only one of our participants died from this cancer and they had several other problems that made them harder to save. Guess the cancer isn’t so bad after all, we wasted all those operations.

I mean **** me sideways you have case studies over the rest of the world that shows the number of deaths countries that didn’t take our precautions had! This line of “reasoning” is mind-numbingly stupid.
Again, the cancer thing is a false equivalency. If the "hard work" that got us here was vaccinations, masks, and checks ins, then why now, after it's established that the vaccines don't really work or for very long against new strains, are we removing restrictions when there's tens of thousands of cases spreading?

If we're basically going back to square one, isn't that a concession that the restrictions were an overreaction? If our starting point for COVID was "we're vulnerable without vaccines, masks, or check ins, everyone isolate!", and now two years in, our position is "the vaccines aren't very effective or long lasting against new variants which have taken over, but we don't need masks, check ins, or isolation", how are we any better off?

In reality, we aren't. But they've realised the restrictions are unsustainable. We aren't opening back up because we defeated the thing through hard work, we're opening back up because there's no other option but to live with it like any other illness. They realised that unless you're very old and sick, the vast majority of people will survive, like any other respiratory illness.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

gangrenous wrote: February 20, 2022, 4:28 pm
Finchy wrote:

1. Death is not the only poor outcome
2. Teachers work there, you might have seen one died this week after testing positive in her 40s. https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-ac ... 5f1f9780f7.
3. These kids go home to parents and older relatives.
One teacher. Very sad. When they all start dropping like flies, freaking out and shutting down everything might be a rational response. I'm sure there are daily cases of otherwise healthy people dropping dead of pneumonia, heart attacks, strokes, or any number of illnesses that most people will survive. That's life.

Again, if after two weeks we've got 20 thousand COVID positive kids returning home to parents and relatives, if it's that bad, why aren't we in lockdown again? Why are schools open? Maybe, just maybe, it's not as bad as everyone thinks it is.

I have close relatives and countless colleagues that have had or currently have it, some unvaccinated. They've barely had more than a sniffle. They can't all be outliers or in the minority. The ones in the minority are those who end up in hospital and die, which again, 92% of them have other issues.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Coronavirus

Post by gangrenous »

Finchy wrote: Again, the cancer thing is a false equivalency. If the "hard work" that got us here was vaccinations, masks, and checks ins, then why now, after it's established that the vaccines don't really work or for very long against new strains, are we removing restrictions when there's tens of thousands of cases spreading?
If restrictions and interventions did nothing why is our death rate lower than other countries?
Finchy wrote: If we're basically going back to square one, isn't that a concession that the restrictions were an overreaction? If our starting point for COVID was "we're vulnerable without vaccines, masks, or check ins, everyone isolate!", and now two years in, our position is "the vaccines aren't very effective or long lasting against new variants which have taken over, but we don't need masks, check ins, or isolation", how are we any better off?
We’re not back to square one. The vaccines have been shown to have the resistance to infection wear off. But the reduction in serious outcomes like hospitalisation last longer.

The vaccines were very effective against Delta. Omicron is a different beast and evades vaccines more successfully largely because it’s quite different, luckily those differences also mean more it’s not as harmful as Delta was.
Last edited by gangrenous on February 20, 2022, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Finchy wrote: Again, if after two weeks we've got 20 thousand COVID positive kids returning home to parents and relatives, if it's that bad, why aren't we in lockdown again? Why are schools open? Maybe, just maybe, it's not as bad as everyone thinks it is.
Who said we should lockdown? No one.

I’m suggesting maybe RAT testing for a few extra weeks might have been a good idea. Particularly if it got a lot more kids to their second vaccine dose.