Sharks 13+
6%

Total votes: 36

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2022 Rd 1 V Sharks: Teams and Previews

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders leaders tap into government top dogs' experiences

Raiders chairman Allan Hawke and director Dennis Richardson sat down with the Raiders' leadership group for a dinner at the Commonwealth Club recently to pass on their wealth of knowledge on leading under immense pressure.

Co-captains Jarrod Croker and Elliott Whitehead, Josh Hodgson, Jack Wighton, Jamal Fogarty and Adam Elliott were there. The Raiders have created two leadership groups for the upcoming campaign - one for the game day, while the other's known as the "culture guardians" who were in charge of protecting the "Raiders' way".

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders hoping for large crowd

The Canberra Raiders hope their eight-month wait to play in front of home fans will drive a return to last season's 20,000-plus attendance figures this week. Raiders halfback Sam Williams said the return to Canberra Stadium would be good for the club's younger players after their impressive pre-season trial form.

"It's been good for their exposure and been good to prepare in NRL conditions, and to play in front of crowds and TV audiences that you just don't get by training," he said.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thank goodness Adam Elliott has been appointed a culture guardian, or so it seems.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:Thank goodness Adam Elliott has been appointed a culture guardian, or so it seems.
have I got him mixed up with someone else???

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:Thank goodness Adam Elliott has been appointed a culture guardian, or so it seems.
Reminds me of when Tony Abbot became the Minister for Women.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: March 6, 2022, 8:16 pm Thank goodness Adam Elliott has been appointed a culture guardian, or so it seems.
Ricky must have been watching SAS Australia! They give the leadership roles to the dodgy one's to make them sink or swim!

Hopefully Jamal and Adam were just there as new senior( older) players.

Adam couldn't even pronounce Papa and Taps' surnames properly in the video last night !
The papa one I will let slide but seriously " ta- pine" ! He isnt a Christmas tree!
Vaccinated
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Adam Elliott needs to prove himself to the team and coach that he is a good guy that adheres to the Raiders way of doing things, as well as a player before he should be a part of any culture leadership group.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Yeah, but he says good things about the WRL and talks his missus up, sooo yeah.....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders five eighth Jack Wighton set to play 200th game

Wighton will become just the 13th Raider to reach the 200 NRL game milestone when he runs out against the Cronulla Sharks at Canberra Stadium on Friday.

"I've got the 200 coming up. I'm very proud and very honoured to play 200 games for this great club," Wighton said. "It's been a whirlwind, a rollercoaster, ups downs, highs lows, tears blood sweat. I'm absolutely blessed to be where I am and I can't wait to play 200."

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Canberra Raiders leaders tap into government top dogs' experiences

Raiders chairman Allan Hawke and director Dennis Richardson sat down with the Raiders' leadership group for a dinner at the Commonwealth Club recently to pass on their wealth of knowledge on leading under immense pressure.

Co-captains Jarrod Croker and Elliott Whitehead, Josh Hodgson, Jack Wighton, Jamal Fogarty and Adam Elliott were there. The Raiders have created two leadership groups for the upcoming campaign - one for the game day, while the other's known as the "culture guardians" who were in charge of protecting the "Raiders' way".

Canberra Raiders hoping for large crowd

The Canberra Raiders hope their eight-month wait to play in front of home fans will drive a return to last season's 20,000-plus attendance figures this week. Raiders halfback Sam Williams said the return to Canberra Stadium would be good for the club's younger players after their impressive pre-season trial form.

"It's been good for their exposure and been good to prepare in NRL conditions, and to play in front of crowds and TV audiences that you just don't get by training," he said.

Not sure they'll get 20k in that time slot, and on a long weekend.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders face Savage NRL selection call

Canberra winger Jordan Rapana says picking young gun Xavier Savage at fullback ahead of Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad for Friday night's round one clash with Cronulla at GIO Stadium would be a "kick in the face" for the incumbent.

"I'm not gonna beat around the bush, Charnze is one of the best fullbacks in the game," Rapana said. "Xave is a great up and coming young gun but I believe he's still got a fair way to go to take that spot off Charnze. It would be a kick in the face to Charnze to say that spot is in jeopardy."

Read more: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-5959852

‘You’ve got our blessing’: Moment NRL veteran knew his time with Ricky and Raiders was up

Josh Hodgson looked around the dressing room at the end of last season and knew his time in Canberra was almost up - and he couldn’t have been prouder.

“The decision just made sense from both sides of the coin,” Hodgson said. “I knew I wanted to leave the club in a good place, there’s a few of us that have been here for a long time that have been really trying to drive the expectations and the standards here and I think from when I came in my first year in 2015 to now it’s a really different place."

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 787ca72784
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Canberra dump long-serving centre Jarrod Croker to second grade for Sharks clash

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has confirmed he's made one of the most difficult decisions of his career after informing Raiders captain Jarrod Croker that he will start the season in NSW Cup.

“Jarrod is doing a lot more than he could do at training last year after the stem cell surgery,” Stuart said. “I am really happy that he is progressing well. At this stage we would just like to give him a bit more time.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... f433ec8fb4

Captain Croker set to miss Raiders round one selection: https://canberraweekly.com.au/captain-c ... selection/
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

A tough call, but the right one re: Croker.

But, I'm now scared Semi will play centre
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Surely it’s Kris and Timoko

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

If Croker is in reggies, I’d imagine this is what’ll be selected.

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Savage
6. Wighton
7. Schneider
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. CHN
13. Whitehead

14. Starling
15. Elliot
16. Sutton
17. Horsburgh

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Surprised by that
If it’s to shoe horn in Valemei it’s actually the wrong call :lol:

If it’s for Kris, that’s fine, and I’d really keen to see if he’s made strides in the areas he was lacking in last year
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Who’s kicking goals? Raps or Schneider?

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Clarkey's column reporting Valemei to start at centre

If that is the case I'm guessing that'll mean Timoko as one centre and Kris on a wing with Savage either benched or left out... could be wrong

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Croker in reggies= probably the right move overall, but he must be struggling at training not to get up over the other contenders with all the injuries.

It does open the can of worms of who are the centres.

We can assume CNK being told he's a lock for #1 are true.

Semi got a lot of time at centre. He looked like a strong runner (better than last year, he's added size) with offload or tackle busting ability. Defence suspect- tends to shoot out but not make an effective tackle at the end of it. Wife has noted of Semi how often he charges in fast but then makes a weak dive that barely reaches the targeted player, if at all. Commits himself to the move but not the hit. Ran his winger out of room then tried the pass in the trial showed he's not grasped centre play yet- compounded by Kris out of position outside him. Is this the Allwood of 2022?

Kris didn't get as much play in the trials that I noticed. He got given a bath by some other centres last year and will want to improve his reads + contact. He CAN hit well, he has a bit of power about his game, but it's not consistent.

Surely they are the two candidates if Croker is out. There's wackier options if CNK (centre) or Schiller is considered for a wing but that seems unlikely.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

Sid wrote:Clarkey's column reporting Valemei to start at centre

If that is the case I'm guessing that'll mean Timoko as one centre and Kris on a wing with Savage either benched or left out... could be wrong
Surely not

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Sid wrote: March 7, 2022, 4:39 pm Clarkey's column reporting Valemei to start at centre

That would be very frustrating as Kris showed no real aptitude for wing play during the trials (less even than Semi at centre)- not decisive in when to play wide, when to cut inside and most observers thought his future lay further infield as a tweener centre/edge than a centre/wing which he never was.

Putting Semi and Kris in a team without Savage in it is dumb enough for me not to bother going. Utter, over-thought, overwrought bollocks. Find your best players- pick 'em. Don't leave a Ferrari in the shed to fit more Lancer's and Skylines on the track.

Been a member every year I've lived in Oz for some time. Even flown back to attend games. 50/50 whether to bother going to Bruce or not on Friday- till hemming and hawwing about a membership too. I guess I'll decide on Tuesday.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Danaman137 wrote: March 7, 2022, 4:32 pm Who’s kicking goals? Raps or Schneider?

Raps suspended so Schneider or Papa.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

I understand Savage is probably not ready for FG fullback but he’s ready for FG. If he’s not in the team I’ll be really unhappy.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Ricky loves his shock round one selections. It may well be Valamei in the centres, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

If anyone doesn’t have Schneider in SuperCoach go get him now. $188k with a starting 7 jumper and goal kicking duties. Yes please.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

Decisions like this, Shillo, and Campo, are why I will always ALWAYS have Ricky's back.

He is a brave, courageous man that makes incredibly difficult decisions that 99% of other coaches don't have the balls to make.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

I get that Croker has injury concerns but this seems crazy for round one when we don't have either of our backup kicker options...

It's the DailyTelegraph, so could be full of **** too.

If true I feel we are putting WAY too much on Schneider's shoulders, which would be classic Stuart... "Hey you get to be the halfback, the kicker, want the captaincy too?"

Instead of trying to fix one thing he will change a million things, it will come crashing down, he will do a knee jerk reaction and the season will be over before it began...
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

If it's Valemei at centre (which it very obviously will be) I'll be absolutely **** livid. And it will be. With a **** centre/second rower on the wing.

Jesus H
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

If Timoko is lining up on the left it’ll be hard for Toots to win that spot back. We know Ricky can be stubborn in regards to moving centres and wingers to the other side of the field.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: March 7, 2022, 4:58 pm If it's Valemei at centre (which it very obviously will be) I'll be absolutely **** livid. And it will be. With a **** centre/second rower on the wing.

Jesus H
I might die of laughter if Stuart pushes the Croker button and it actually reveals a Semi at centre, Kris at wing and savage left right out trap door

:lol:
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

NRL Tonight Brent Read says Croker will start in NSW Cup.

No one from NRL Tonight tipping us for the top 8 (but it's only Blocker and Brent Read)
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

julian87 wrote:If it's Valemei at centre (which it very obviously will be) I'll be absolutely **** livid. And it will be. With a **** centre/second rower on the wing.

Jesus H
Agree.

Wouldn't have a problem with Croker finding his feet back in Cup but not at the expense of **** Valemei.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

considering Kris played centre, fullback, wing and backrow in the trials I'll take a punt he's on the bench with Savage or Hoppa on the wing.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

If savage isn't on one wing then I'll eat my hat....

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

If Brent Read from the Australian is correct with his sources that Croker will start in NSW Cup, I'm tipping Kris and Timoko in the centres, Savage on the wing. He has to play Savage somewhere considering what he did to Cronulla last time round.