Steve's Lazy Snooker Est 2005

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Steve's Lazy Snooker Est 2005

Post by gerg »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:INXS’s Wembley concert is on now on ABC. Man they were something else.

Them and Nirvana are the two bands I wish I was born earlier to experience in their heyday.
Nirvana played in Canberra, ANU bar. Friends and I went along, we were all 17 so couldn't get in. We sat outside and listened with a huge group of people. They were the most popular group in the world at this time. It was very loud and Kurt sounded dreadful with his screaming. As I said, we were young and it didn't sound great so when the crowd outside started trying to smash their way into the venue we got the hell out of there.

I was more a Pearl Jam sort of guy and lucky enough to see them a few times. They put on a great show.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

gergreg wrote: December 4, 2021, 9:10 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:INXS’s Wembley concert is on now on ABC. Man they were something else.

Them and Nirvana are the two bands I wish I was born earlier to experience in their heyday.
Nirvana played in Canberra, ANU bar. Friends and I went along, we were all 17 so couldn't get in. We sat outside and listened with a huge group of people. They were the most popular group in the world at this time. It was very loud and Kurt sounded dreadful with his screaming. As I said, we were young and it didn't sound great so when the crowd outside started trying to smash their way into the venue we got the hell out of there.

I was more a Pearl Jam sort of guy and lucky enough to see them a few times. They put on a great show.
Pearl Jam know how to do it right.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

gergreg wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Side question: If you could have any singers voice, who would you have?

I think mine is Michael Hutchence, or Jeff Buckley
Always great to see a Jeff Buckley fan. I met him very briefly.

I remember seeing his song on Rage one night - eternal life - it blew me away. Then a few months later he toured. So this was back when I pretty much went to a gig every fortnight or so. So I went to see him at the Canberra convention centre, by myself because my friends weren't interested and he put on a fantastic show to a very small crowd. I was front and centre.

I had such a good time, when he announced an extra show in Sydney I convinced my (at the time) girlfriend to go. We rocked up to the Coogee Bay hotel, booked a room and hit the downstairs bar. We were playing a game of pool and this bloke comes over and challenges us. Of course we said and then I quickly realised he was with a small group of guys that included Jeff Buckley. I was starstruck and he saw it. He introduced himself as Jeff's Australian drummer. He took me over and introduced us. I was too starstruck to say anything to him and also wanted to leave him alone because he was clearly a massive introvert.

Anyway we beat the two of them. Nobody recognised him, but as soon as the concert started there were hundreds of young ladies screaming out their love for him ... marry me .. etc... I found it funny when an hour earlier he was casually sitting in the bar.
Man what a story! I have a work colleague who went to a party as a teen and met Jeff before he was big. Said he was a very deep thinker at the time.

The only celeb story I have is the night I gatecrashed Michael Caton’s wrap party. Still top 5 nights of my life.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: November 26, 2021, 8:09 pm INXS’s Wembley concert is on now on ABC. Man they were something else.

I saw Nirvana at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto about a month before Kurt died.

Great show...

I had tickets to see Neil Young with Pearl Jam supporting him but I wasn't interested in PJ so I rocked up after their set had finished. They came on towards the end to play with Neil. At the CNE, an outdoor stadium (same place I saw McCartney the first time, and Dylan with Santana as his support act).
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Barkeep, I’ve been rewatching Friday Night Lights lately as a fallback show. It got me thinking, who would you prefer as your coach and why - Eric Taylor or Ted Lasso?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Eric Taylor. Not a doubt. Clear eyes. Full heart!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Question wrote:ST marys/ The Riff lost a goodun that day.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
@Bot, when did you leave the Riff? I’m assessing likelihood of us ever being in the same place at the same time.

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Steve's Lazy Snooker Est 2005

Barkeep - Keen to get the thoughts of the bar on this one. I was having this discussion with some work mates recently.

We were talking about this Olympic stat about how there are only 5 olympians who have won more than 8 gold medals. 4 of those 5 have 9. Michael Phelps has 23.

Now granted, that is impressive, the point I was trying to make is that this stat is flawed. Phelps is a legend, no doubt, but he competes in a sport that has multiple disciplines + relays with multiple disciplines. This gives him more of a chance to rack up the Golds more so than other sports.

What do you think? I still give him props, as his Gold : Silver / Bronze ratio is impressive. The dude never lost

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The stat is flawed.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Exactly! Thanks for siding with me. End thread

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Usain Bolt is the best olympic athlete i've ever seen
A spinter, the young mans game, to dominate like he did across 12 years is unheard of and likely will never be seen again'
We'll see another superfish who can swim 2-3 strokes and win a ton of swimming medals again, im fairly confident of that.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:Usain Bolt is the best olympic athlete i've ever seen
A spinter, the young mans game, to dominate like he did across 12 years is unheard of and likely will never be seen again'
We'll see another superfish who can swim 2-3 strokes and win a ton of swimming medals again, im fairly confident of that.
Unless the 'thinking' has changed sprinting isn't a young man's game. They used to say that a sprinters prime was late 20s and into the 30s. But your - longevity comment - still stands. Personally I have some doubts about the entire Jamaican sprinting program. There were links to Balco.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

This was a surprisingly well done cover.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What a classic album, way to get in the mood for a trip to Canberra Stadium. Bar closed from 3:30pm.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Let's share a drink before the game, Fergus.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

dubby wrote: March 11, 2022, 1:50 pm Let's share a drink before the game, Fergus.
Line one up for me too, old mate

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sounds good! Last round!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Barkeep, I’m sure you’ve seen the wheels vs doors debate circling the internet. Do you think there are more wheels or doors in the world?

For me it’s wheels, no brainer

Nickman's love of NSW
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Agree, Fui. I have 3 doors, 5 wheels
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Barkeep, I’m sure you’ve seen the wheels vs doors debate circling the internet. Do you think there are more wheels or doors in the world?

For me it’s wheels, no brainer
Does the fly screen count as an extra door ?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

That's deep Sid.

Makes the question clarify, doors or door entrance

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Sid it's about time we had a drink. My shout. What you having?

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

It's gotta be doors

Don't forget cupboard doors

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Barkeep?

One doors, please

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

dubby wrote:Sid it's about time we had a drink. My shout. What you having?
Cracked open the good stuff to celebrate Raiders opening round victory

Mind Harvest East Coast Indian Pale Ale

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Never heard of it.

Fergus has it though

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

dubby wrote:Barkeep?

One doors, please

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Sid wrote:It's gotta be doors Image

Don't forget cupboard doors

See, we’re talking in the world. You look at your local Coles and compare how many doors they have vs how many shopping trolleys they have. Multiply that by every shopping centre in the world.

That alone gives wheels an massive advantage. Same with offices. 1 meeting room has 1 door, plus minimum 1 chair with at least 4 wheels on it

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Also, most of your drawers have wheels for the slides to work

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There are obviously more doors.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Barkeep, do you have any life rules / philosophies you live by? I see you as a thinker. I have 3 at the moment

1. Check yourself before you wreck yourself: Undisputed number 1. Most conflicts happen in the world because one person didn’t check them self

2. You do you: Just do whatever makes you happy, as long as it doesn’t make someone else unhappy

3. Never trust a person who reverse parks in a Bunnings car park: They don’t know what they’re doing. How are they going to get the trolley to the boot?

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Some good maxims for life there.

The other one... which I have followed at crucial points, but I've too often ignored.

If it frightens you, if it disrupts you from your comfortable life, do it.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote: March 31, 2022, 11:24 am Some good maxims for life there.

The other one... which I have followed at crucial points, but I've too often ignored.

If it frightens you, if it disrupts you from your comfortable life, do it.
That’s another good one. Some caveats The idea of chopping my toe off frightens me, and would disrupt my comfortable life, but I won’t do it.

Poppy Fui used to always say nerves were a good thing. If you’re nervous about something, it means you care about it, and you want to do a job of it. Don’t back out of anything because you’re nervous about it

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That's another good one. Don't chop off your toe unless you really, really have to.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

:lol: