Raiders player signing speculation 2022

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2022

Post by bonehead »

With Frizell and Angus Crighton both available I'd like to hear us mentioned on those 2 at least. We're stacked for middlesand there's 2 gun edge players, also heard Hetherington is being looked at as an edge.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think Frizzell is one of the more overrated players in the comp. Plus a ball hog, similar to Gallen.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

BigPapa wrote:

We should be looking at a few of these young Panthers players some maybe waiting a while to get a start
I’ve been saying for a while, if they’ve eaten at Big Chief or gone out to the Fiddler, they should be automatic consideration.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

gergreg wrote: June 1, 2022, 7:40 am I think Frizzell is one of the more overrated players in the comp. Plus a ball hog, similar to Gallen.
Agree with the first sentence. Hasn't done much in the last 3 years and his stats don't match his salary.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah i'd take a big pass on Frizzel, very over-rated at this point and would not be worth the money, also he's 30. I dont want to be investing big money for 30 year olds

Crighton has had a couple of down years where he hasnt quite been the superstar he is paid like, but he's still been a very good edge footballer, and he's still only 26. I think he's a guy you could take a punt on and with a change of scenery, new situation, i could easily see him getting back to being one of the best edge forwards in the game. I dont think we're much of hope of getting him though, i expect his market will be fairly strong from other sydney based clubs
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: June 1, 2022, 8:20 am Yeah i'd take a big pass on Frizzel, very over-rated at this point and would not be worth the money, also he's 30. I dont want to be investing big money for 30 year olds

Crighton has had a couple of down years where he hasnt quite been the superstar he is paid like, but he's still been a very good edge footballer, and he's still only 26. I think he's a guy you could take a punt on and with a change of scenery, new situation, i could easily see him getting back to being one of the best edge forwards in the game. I dont think we're much of hope of getting him though, i expect his market will be fairly strong from other sydney based clubs
Agree 100 on Frizell.

Angus Crichton strikes me as lazy. He might turn it around here for the first season the way players like Costigan and Bronson did but I can't see a good ROI on a 3-year deal. One of those things though- if we had a punchers chance of landing him it's probably worth the gamble.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Seiffert82 wrote: May 28, 2022, 10:08 pm Yeah, if a club wants to move a contracted player on they are usually obligated to pay part of their salary under the club's cap for the remainder of the original contract.

Similarly, if a player agitates to break a contract to move on to another club I don't see why the gaining club shouldn't be obligated to compensate the losing club with a corresponding cap adjustment. As suggested, 20-25% of the original contract value might be fair.

Might stop some of this nonsense, particularly for very well paid players.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
Completely agree with this. Just watching NRL360 and the discussion on Haas. I'm sick of players who have signed deals (good deals - like Haas for $800,000) wanting to get out of contracts for more money or to play for a better club. An uplift of 20-25% of the original contract deters clubs like Roosters to clear their books to sign players like Haas, and if Haas does not have that avenue then he's not going to agitate to get out of his contract. I don't think that's a restraint of trade but I would argue that clubs that clear salary cap space and negotiate with players under contract are committing tortious interference with contracts / procuring a breach of contract.

I also think third party deals are inequitable for the competition.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

My thoughts on Frizell have changed over the years. He's a very good, tough second rower at this point. But I think we've witnessed big time over the past 5 years that edge forward is a young mans position. Many of the bigger edge forwards have become middles. While those who've stayed on the edge at back end of careers have been considerably down in performance imo.... Kaufusi, Proctor, Graham, Whitehead are a few obvious examples.

That being said I think bringing in a hard nosed leader like Frizell would probably be a good thing for the mindset of Canberra. Paul Kent made a point earlier in the year that he can't get around Canberra because when the going gets tough they look for a miracle play....a forced miracle offload, a one on one strip or a short kick off. I tend to agree with this and think players who will lead the way through toughness and hard work may be a good way to go. Especially having looked at off contract backrowers and that's a pretty barren wasteland as it stands imo.

You'd need the wiggle room of Crokers $$$ and some dice rolls on young players to bring in on lower contracts to make it work cap wise though.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

julian87 wrote: June 1, 2022, 9:48 am My thoughts on Frizell have changed over the years. He's a very good, tough second rower at this point. But I think we've witnessed big time over the past 5 years that edge forward is a young mans position. Many of the bigger edge forwards have become middles. While those who've stayed on the edge at back end of careers have been considerably down in performance imo.... Kaufusi, Proctor, Graham, Whitehead are a few obvious examples.

That being said I think bringing in a hard nosed leader like Frizell would probably be a good thing for the mindset of Canberra. Paul Kent made a point earlier in the year that he can't get around Canberra because when the going gets tough they look for a miracle play....a forced miracle offload, a one on one strip or a short kick off. I tend to agree with this and think players who will lead the way through toughness and hard work may be a good way to go. Especially having looked at off contract backrowers and that's a pretty barren wasteland as it stands imo.

You'd need the wiggle room of Crokers $$$ and some dice rolls on young players to bring in on lower contracts to make it work cap wise though.
I'm a bit divided on Croker. First, he's not given us much output in the last two years when he's been on a good salary and we could have used that cap money to better effect. This year was through no fault of his own and it was an unfortunate shoulder injury. Last year he was hampered by his knee and he didn't play at FG level when he actually played. But we played poorly and lost badly in games without him being in the side so cannot blame him for the poor state of the team. I'd argue Whitehead's form was far worse - AND we still extended him. Second, the club shouldn't pay a centre that much - regardless of his pointscoring / history with the club. Broncos got into a mess with Darius Boyd - Bennett said he should finish his career at the Broncos, and was clearly in decline and not FG standard BUT still paid him in excess of $800,000. Third, we really need a solution that is good for all parties going forward, that respects Croker but also reflects his likely output for us for the duration of his contract options. I hope he gets to 300 this year and there's a solution at the end of the year.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 1, 2022, 10:05 am
julian87 wrote: June 1, 2022, 9:48 am My thoughts on Frizell have changed over the years. He's a very good, tough second rower at this point. But I think we've witnessed big time over the past 5 years that edge forward is a young mans position. Many of the bigger edge forwards have become middles. While those who've stayed on the edge at back end of careers have been considerably down in performance imo.... Kaufusi, Proctor, Graham, Whitehead are a few obvious examples.

I'm a bit divided on Croker. First, he's not given us much output in the last two years when he's been on a good salary and we could have used that cap money to better effect. This year was through no fault of his own and it was an unfortunate shoulder injury. Last year he was hampered by his knee and he didn't play at FG level when he actually played. But we played poorly and lost badly in games without him being in the side so cannot blame him for the poor state of the team. I'd argue Whitehead's form was far worse - AND we still extended him. Second, the club shouldn't pay a centre that much - regardless of his pointscoring / history with the club. Broncos got into a mess with Darius Boyd - Bennett said he should finish his career at the Broncos, and was clearly in decline and not FG standard BUT still paid him in excess of $800,000. Third, we really need a solution that is good for all parties going forward, that respects Croker but also reflects his likely output for us for the duration of his contract options. I hope he gets to 300 this year and there's a solution at the end of the year.
I can't see him being back by round 15 or 16. He's already written off for the season isn't he?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

And also this is a drum I've been banging for quite some time. Frawley is a decent back up, but the squad needs more versatility.

A half with utility really needs to replace Williams/Frawley or even one in for both. A Salmon/Lam/Keighran type player that can be a back up half but also fill a hole if required on the bench or somewhere other than the halves. This type of signing provably won't make you a stronger team at full strength. But you don't go through a season at full strength. There are probably better options but those names are just an example of the style of player the current squad lacks imo.

3 rigid back up halves just puts unnecessary shackles around a salary cap/squad.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Adam Keighran can play anywhere from centre to hooker. He's not going to give you any highlights or develop into something more though. Just a solid squad backup.
I'd favour Salmon or Lam over him just because they can produce on the odd occasion rather than steer.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

bonehead wrote:With Frizell and Angus Crighton both available I'd like to hear us mentioned on those 2 at least. We're stacked for middlesand there's 2 gun edge players, also heard Hetherington is being looked at as an edge.

I'd be quite happy playing Hetherington back in the second row.

Young and Hetherington. Two crazy eyed second rowers. What could possibly go wrong!

Can't see a great deal of value paying either Frizell or Crichton premium money to play in those roles. Not sure our cap would allow it.

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Turpin free to negotiate with other clubs but I reckon I'd rather see what we have with Woolford and Trevelyan

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Dufty back on our radar
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

radicalraider wrote:Dufty back on our radar
God I hope not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Sid wrote:Turpin free to negotiate with other clubs but I reckon I'd rather see what we have with Woolford and Trevelyan

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Thanks, but very much no thanks on Turpin... he actually sucks a little bit, i've liked what i've seen out of both Woolford and Trev
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

radicalraider wrote: June 1, 2022, 8:41 pm Dufty back on our radar
According to… ?
denissnowy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by denissnowy »

Only way Crichton is coming to Canberra is if he is going to suit up for the Brumbies.

Informed by nothing other than he strikes me as an out and out Sydneysider.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

denissnowy wrote: June 1, 2022, 10:26 pm Only way Crichton is coming to Canberra is if he is going to suit up for the Brumbies.

Informed by nothing other than he strikes me as an out and out Sydneysider.
I concur. I saw an article saying the ARU are ready to raid the NRL for talent again leading up the the RUWC and aside from thinking "oh, we're doing this again! Good luck" but Crichton felt like a realstic target for a dying code looking for a last chance saloon
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sounds unlikely. Savage is basically the same player.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Raidernation wrote: This can and does happen. The club can request the gaining club provide payment for the player, they can request the club provide a player in return otherwise they can wait until the end of the players contract. These types of situations should be self regulated to allow clubs the greatest opportunity to be provided with fair compensation not additional regulation. If clubs cant handle their own affairs to their benefit than that's on them. We should be promoting clubs moving for undervalued players, we should be promoting players being paid market values as it helps level the playing field. We have benefited from Tapine and Perhaps Fogarty in this situation, hodgeson and bateman also was agreed with clubs whilst on contract. I dont agree with arbitrary regulation because clubs cant do their jobs.
Clubs can request all they want. Reality is the player can just be a massively disruptive pain and the club doesn’t really have the bargaining power to hold out.

This is exactly the kind of thing where regulation like a minimum 20% penalty paid on a player breaking contract is good regulation to drive the behaviour in the market that is overall beneficial. Which I know you “the market is always right” types hate.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

radicalraider wrote: June 1, 2022, 8:41 pm Dufty back on our radar
I thought it was a done deal with Warrington.
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

No chance.

He kind of made some sense last year at the height of V’Landy’s ball.

He’s done nothing this year to enhance his reputation.

ESL or bust for him.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 2, 2022, 5:51 am

Oof, that's harsh. I'm not sold on Savage, but Dufty has been next-level bad this year
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

gangrenous wrote: June 2, 2022, 5:59 am
Raidernation wrote: This can and does happen. The club can request the gaining club provide payment for the player, they can request the club provide a player in return otherwise they can wait until the end of the players contract. These types of situations should be self regulated to allow clubs the greatest opportunity to be provided with fair compensation not additional regulation. If clubs cant handle their own affairs to their benefit than that's on them. We should be promoting clubs moving for undervalued players, we should be promoting players being paid market values as it helps level the playing field. We have benefited from Tapine and Perhaps Fogarty in this situation, hodgeson and bateman also was agreed with clubs whilst on contract. I dont agree with arbitrary regulation because clubs cant do their jobs.
Clubs can request all they want. Reality is the player can just be a massively disruptive pain and the club doesn’t really have the bargaining power to hold out.

This is exactly the kind of thing where regulation like a minimum 20% penalty paid on a player breaking contract is good regulation to drive the behaviour in the market that is overall beneficial. Which I know you “the market is always right” types hate.
It's more you have a contract so use it. If for example Fogarty did get 550k a year from say 250k why couldn't the titans say look, you can leave if Canberra pay us 200k for the last year remaining on the contract. Fogs gets an additional 100k for the year left plus an additional 2 year contact at 550k and titans get 200k. Maybe tians playhard ball and ask for the full 300k difference. My point is the contract allows for negotiated settlements if clubs decide to negotiate. If clubs decide not to negotiate than it's up to them, every situation is different.

Now I might be complicating things but I'll add that I would be happy to see a waiver introduced where a player can be waived their contract sum on the salary cap in their final year, 1 per club, meaning they get paid by the club, waived on the salary cap and cannot play for the first team if waived. Opens up options for clubs whilst having players think twice before playing contract games in their final year giving clubs back some leverage, also gives clubs options if a player gets a season long injury i.e. Hodgo.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

So with the Eels re-signing Mitch Rein are we thinking they are going to drop Hodgson? If they did would we want him back? I wouldn't mind him at lock if we got him on the cheap.

Also of note the Eels fans seem convinced they will sign Woolford for next year now too because his dad has a role with them... Seems they want an entire team of hookers?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Ultima wrote:So with the Eels re-signing Mitch Rein are we thinking they are going to drop Hodgson? If they did would we want him back? I wouldn't mind him at lock if we got him on the cheap.

Also of note the Eels fans seem convinced they will sign Woolford for next year now too because his dad has a role with them... Seems they want an entire team of hookers?
no I think his body is done at the price

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hodgson is not a lock, repeat not a lock. He can't defend effectively in the middle in contact or laterally- he does his best but he heither goes high and gets bumped off them big men/carried for a 15m ride or the mobile guys just scoot around him. And that was before his 3rd knee reco. He'd also effectively lower the average mobility of our pack. And add a second small man target alongside Starling (who at least has a beautiful tackling technique and gives as good as he gets).

He can make a dart if there's a gap but he can't barge a tough run and he's not really a nimble slide between and poke through guy either. I don't see any value in Hodgo as a lock these days.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Ultima wrote: June 3, 2022, 4:59 am So with the Eels re-signing Mitch Rein are we thinking they are going to drop Hodgson? If they did would we want him back? I wouldn't mind him at lock if we got him on the cheap.

Has Rein played a FG game all year? :?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

2 off the interchange for less than 20mins. Any idea he'll be their first choice hooker bar significant injury would be news to them.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Finchy wrote:

Oof, that's harsh. I'm not sold on Savage, but Dufty has been next-level bad this year
Yeah, not talking about this year's form specifically. Hopefully Savage turns out to be significantly better in defence.

Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Watching the Titans last night and had a similar thought about Savage. Could end up like Isaako. Loose carries and dodging heavy contact whenever possible.

Let's hope he heads more in the Papy direction.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

When have you seen Savage dodge contact? I remember him diving desperately into a tough contact to help with a held up in pre-season. He's taking his hit ups and making metres (you do not make 200 easy metres in an nrl game). He missed a cover tackle on Johnson on the weekend. But he stuck another one too.

The loose carry was dumb. Naive.

He's trying to learn one of the most demanding positions and he's barely played lower grade footy for 2 years thanks to covid. He's far from the finished product. But I see a lot to work with and I certainly don't see him dodging contact.