Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders reportedly interested in Jack Hetherington

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Great news for us
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We seem to be chasing some very average players.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

He's played 3 games at edge so perhaps he will turn out to be a really good one using that GPS speed. I doubt it though. People excited about his training stats should give some thought to reconciling how the fastest forward in the NRL makes less than 10 runs per game, 9m per carry, and about 25 post contact meters. There are plenty of forwards at those terrible clubs he's been with much better output. Why is he only known for defence and only memorable for taking people's heads off?

The way I reconcile this doesn't end up with him being a good NRL player. Bullet dodged
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

greeneyed wrote: June 11, 2022, 1:32 am We seem to be chasing some very average players.
I think you mean “coachable” GE.

Nothing much changes it seems.

Remember that time the club turned up its nose at Nicho Hynes????
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Rickmando wrote: June 11, 2022, 9:20 am
greeneyed wrote: June 11, 2022, 1:32 am We seem to be chasing some very average players.

Did the club turn it's nose up? We were interested and had (reportedly) contacted his manager. Nicho was pretty open about his preferred lifestyle (surf) and how that has fit in with overcoming some mental health issues which were holding him back - seemed more like a case of him not being a fit for us and vice versa, we'd have had to go massive overs to be in the hunt in that case and every chance he'd be unsettled here.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

BadnMean wrote: June 11, 2022, 10:30 am

Did the club turn it's nose up? We were interested and had (reportedly) contacted his manager. Nicho was pretty open about his preferred lifestyle (surf) and how that has fit in with overcoming some mental health issues which were holding him back - seemed more like a case of him not being a fit for us and vice versa, we'd have had to go massive overs to be in the hunt in that case and every chance he'd be unsettled here.
I don’t remember us ever being in the conversation? He was clearly the best spine talent on the market and we had both cash and available positions… I don’t feel like we were ever discussed (but your memory could be better than mine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Yeah, more like Hynes turned his nose at the Raiders. Not sure why the opposite narrative continues to be pushed.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Northern Raider wrote: June 11, 2022, 11:14 am

Yeah, more like Hynes turned his nose at the Raiders. Not sure why the opposite narrative continues to be pushed.
If he’s turning his nose up - then our offer wasn’t strong enough (take your pick of the reason(s)).

There may be an internal recruiting report we aren’t privy to that didn’t rate him that highly - but in essence you’ve got a young, potential cornerstone spine player on the market. They don’t just fall out of trees.

Given we had recently lost our starting halfback, it should be the club’s job to table an offer that is competitive? We didn’t have the luxury of passing him over - which we absolutely did btw. Every year, we are linked to every spud player under the sun, but strangely we weren’t seriously linked to the blue ribbon recruit of 2021??!! Give me a spell
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Rickmando wrote: June 11, 2022, 11:39 am

If he’s turning his nose up - then our offer wasn’t strong enough (take your pick of the reason(s)).

There may be an internal recruiting report we aren’t privy to that didn’t rate him that highly - but in essence you’ve got a young, potential cornerstone spine player on the market. They don’t just fall out of trees.

Given we had recently lost our starting halfback, it should be the club’s job to table an offer that is competitive? We didn’t have the luxury of passing him over - which we absolutely did btw. Every year, we are linked to every spud player under the sun, but strangely we weren’t seriously linked to the blue ribbon recruit of 2021??!! Give me a spell
There was about 10 days between George Williams being released and Hynes officially signing with Sharks. That deal was as good as done before we entered the market. The fact is neither you nor I know what transpired and how much (if anything) was offered. One thing that is certain though. The debate is 100% moot and pointless being constantly dragged up 12 mo the later.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Hynes was courted heavily. As stated the road he took to get where he was was unconventional and had it's challenges. He was very open and honest about that, and about his love and passion for surfing helping him overcome some of the troubles in his life

He wasnt coming here when he had options in locations that suited him better. Rickmando can push what ever barrow he wishes on that, however unless our offer was so astronomically better than those on the table at situations that suited him better, he wasn't coming here, and paying atronomical overs for a Storm product has rarely turned out in favour of the clubs.

We know based on reporting the club were interested. We also know that by the time the George Williams situation reached it's boiling point, it was mere weeks before he was announced as going to the Sharks, so negotiations on that front were clearly into the final stages. Sometimes circumstances dont fall in your favour.
Rickmando needs to find a new drum to beat, this one is busted.
Last edited by Botman on June 11, 2022, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Northern Raider wrote: June 11, 2022, 11:52 am
Rickmando wrote: June 11, 2022, 11:39 am

There was about 10 days between George Williams being released and Hynes officially signing with Sharks. That deal was as good as done before we entered the market. The fact is neither you nor I know what transpired and how much (if anything) was offered. One thing that is certain though. The debate is 100% moot and pointless being constantly dragged up 12 mo the later.
Gee heaven forbid someone does a bit of speculating and provoking of discussion on a fan forum eh?

Only come at NR if you’re an employee of the club folks. (And even then, probably only those on the board).

General point is - we are always linked to plodders and cast offs. When genuine players enter the market, it’s never us. I’m not here to stir up the silly inferiority complex narrative, only to point out that it’s fair for us (and hopefully the club decision-makers) to review why we aren’t landing our share of big names.

A salary cap should ensure we are at least making a splash occasionally, more or less at the same rate as the other 15 clubs. (Also not interested in hearing about salary sombreros, paper bags etc)
Last edited by Rickmando on June 11, 2022, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Botman wrote: June 11, 2022, 1:38 pm Hynes was courted heavily. As stated the road he took to get where he was was unconventional and had it's challenges. He was very open and honest about that, and about his love and passion for surfing helping him overcome some of the troubles in his life

He wasnt coming here when he had options in locations that suited him better. Rickmando can push what ever barrow he wishes on that, however unless our offer was so astronomically better than those on the table at situations that suited him better, he wasn't coming here, and paying atronomical overs for a Storm product has rarely turned out in favour of the clubs.

We know based on reporting the club were interested. We also know that by the time the George Williams situation reached it's boiling point, it was mere weeks before he was announced as going to the Sharks, so negotiations on that front were clearly into the final stages. Sometimes circumstances dont fall in your favour.
Rickmando needs to find a new drum to beat, this one is busted.
Yeah don’t get too fixated on one example. But you can’t tell me you also would rather hear us linked to the calibre of a Hynes occasionally rather than the calibre of an Elliott or Hetherington. Nitpick all you want but there’s a distinct pattern.

And anyway, you know I’ve only got one drum to beat ;)
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Im sure we'd all love to be linked to Nathan Cleary, James Tedesco, Harry Grant and players of their ilk
But the simple reality is those players will be highly coveted by EVERYONE... and when you've got the pick of the liter in terms of clubs and lifestyle and there is a hard salary cap in place that ensures for those superstar players the money is pretty much the same, there just simply arent many in the Male 18-30 year old demographic who are going to pick Canberra over what big cities on the coast can offer

I know that will offend some who cant fathom that people dont like Canberra and would prefer to live in warmer climates with a beach and a vibrant exciting night life.

And i know it will be an "excuse" to others who think the club should find a magic bullet that somehow solves the problem of attracting players to what is generally considered an undesirable location/climate but also doesnt involve overspending so we can have a juggernaut team

But it is what it is.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Is there some kind of statute of limitations over signing we didn't make? Bleating about not getting Hynes whenever we approach anybody of any level about a contract is a serious punish.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Northern Raider wrote: June 11, 2022, 2:34 pm Is there some kind of statute of limitations over signing we didn't make? Bleating about not getting Hynes whenever we approach anybody of any level about a contract is a serious punish.
You seem to be positioning yourself as the arbiter of appropriateness here, so why don’t you suggest a statute of limitations for us to all follow blindly?

Or, you could make your point and then go away if you’re finding the conversation too punishing?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Rickmando wrote: June 11, 2022, 2:53 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 11, 2022, 2:34 pm Is there some kind of statute of limitations over signing we didn't make? Bleating about not getting Hynes whenever we approach anybody of any level about a contract is a serious punish.
You seem to be positioning yourself as the arbiter of appropriateness here, so why don’t you suggest a statute of limitations for us to all follow blindly?

Or, you could make your point and then go away if you’re finding the conversation too punishing?
That's rich. You're the one bleating about unrelated events of twelve months ago.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Why are you still commenting? You’ve said you’re not interested in having a conversation. Take a walk and let someone else have a turn!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Rickmando wrote: June 11, 2022, 3:10 pm Why are you still commenting? You’ve said you’re not interested in having a conversation. Take a walk and let someone else have a turn!
I'm still commenting because you are posting questions of me. If you don't want me to comment then stop asking questions. I'm will to move on if you are.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
Rickmando wrote: June 11, 2022, 3:10 pm Why are you still commenting? You’ve said you’re not interested in having a conversation. Take a walk and let someone else have a turn!
I'm still commenting because you are posting questions of me. If you don't want me to comment then stop asking questions. I'm will to move on if you are.
You missed the question mark on that last sentence NR.
Shoving it in your face since 2017