Broncos 13+
8%

Total votes: 12

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2022 Rd 14 V Broncos: Game Day

Post by GreenMachine »

So I see people are finally realising that Jack isn’t a half…

He’s a great player as evidenced during Origin… definitely a centre and could probably play back row or 13…but he isn’t a half…

But carry on. I’m sure by the end of the season there will be more people finally converted to this reality.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

I honestly don't care if savage does drop the ball occasionally. It literally doesn't bother me at all. He's dropping it because he's a young guy playing a bit loose but who else in our squad is cutting a side open like that.

He's a work in progress but he's not shy about putting in. He's convinced me more the last weeks even with his errors. Errors happen. He will sort that out.

We aren't going to get perfection but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

What we do lack is ball playing in a major way though. The best pass last night was papaliis double pump and I think tapine right now is passing better short than starling. It's a huge problem. I like what I see from woolford off the ground though.

We aren't winning anything with the ball playing the way it is. Add a couple of guys who can pass into that spine and we have the talent to threaten.

We are much closer to being a good team than I thought a few weeks ago but that last piece of the puzzle is by far the hardest to get.
Yap
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Dave Leave Nothing In The Tank Shillington

Post by Yap »

GreenMachine wrote: June 12, 2022, 9:28 am So I see people are finally realising that Jack isn’t a half…

He’s a great player as evidenced during Origin… definitely a centre and could probably play back row or 13…but he isn’t a half…

But carry on. I’m sure by the end of the season there will be more people finally converted to this reality.
There is only one person we need to convert to this line of thinking, but he is too stubborn to admit he was wrong
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Boomercm wrote: I reckon Mitchell Moses would be a better option for us than Munster - he would compliment Jack better.
Moses: What a fantastic tackle today, and I must say you look simply smashing!

On a serious note. Yes please to trying out moving Jack.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Seeing fogarty spray Savage at least twice wasn't a good look, fog might want to look in the mirror before he starts doing that
Agree that Jack is not a 5/8.
Need to go all in for Munster, add him and this team goes to top 4
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Pete Cash wrote:I honestly don't care if savage does drop the ball occasionally. It literally doesn't bother me at all. He's dropping it because he's a young guy playing a bit loose but who else in our squad is cutting a side open like that.

He's a work in progress but he's not shy about putting in. He's convinced me more the last weeks even with his errors. Errors happen. He will sort that out.

We aren't going to get perfection but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

What we do lack is ball playing in a major way though. The best pass last night was papaliis double pump and I think tapine right now is passing better short than starling. It's a huge problem. I like what I see from woolford off the ground though.

We aren't winning anything with the ball playing the way it is. Add a couple of guys who can pass into that spine and we have the talent to threaten.

We are much closer to being a good team than I thought a few weeks ago but that last piece of the puzzle is by far the hardest to get.
I agree.

Coming into the game I didn't expect us to win so I'm not overly disappointed with the loss. The game was there for the taking and we probably should have won but meh, we do look better than earlier in the year. If we continue to play each week with this better attitude and offloads I think we can sneak into the 8. We're not winning anything but a finals game would be good experience for some of the younger guys. Savage was off but his still young. Fogarty was better again. Jack wasn't his best but clearly knackered.

We don't have enough ball playing and I think we need to accept that for now. I'd like to see some structure, we can't play like madmen alone - there needs to be some structure and we flip between the structure and the adlib play. But overall I think there's some positive signs.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Neeeegz wrote:Seeing fogarty spray Savage at least twice wasn't a good look, fog might want to look in the mirror before he starts doing that
I think it depends on Savages character. Some young guys learn quick from a spray and it’s good for their development. But others can be negatively affected by it.

I’m 50/50 on it at the moment. Maybe better coming from another experienced Raider.

Certainly want can’t be argued is that Savage needed to setup Fogarty better last night (and it wasn’t too complex a play required, simply continue to sprint at the fullback before passing to the support player).
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

We STINK

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

GreenMachine wrote: June 12, 2022, 9:28 am So I see people are finally realising that Jack isn’t a half…

He's a very good running 5/8 who can kick pretty well now. He is just not a game manager.

Swapping him for blokes like Luai and Munster (the SOO 5/8's) wouldn't improve this team much. They are not game managers either.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

We need a coach, and sooner rather than later.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

TongueFTW wrote: June 12, 2022, 8:37 am Thought I would feel better this morning about the game, but after watching the Stuart press conference, feel worse:

* I mentioned it in the other thread, but the lack of football IQ beggars belief. We just needed two full back to back sets, and we would have scored, yet we spent the whole time going for miracle plays in a panic, making some stupid mistakes. We did not give Timoko a single one on one chance, which beggars belief.
* As others have said, with Starling we lost any semblance of calm and control - in saying that, he made a couple of half breaks and there was no push support through the middle. This is something Savage needs to work on. Savage is a work in progress, the main issue is his handling out of trouble. Our attack definitely looks better with him there. He did drop a Reynolds kick last night, but overall I have been impressed with him under the high ball, particularly compared to CNK.
* Wighton shouldn’t have played. I saw some footage of him on Thursday morning, he was struggling to walk. He didn’t take a single run last night, or help at all coming out of trouble - understandable too, given his massive effort on Wednesday. This whole “Origin players back up” is not a general rule across all games and all performances. After the speed of the game and Jack’s performance on Wednesday, he needed a break. A couple of times I felt he could have went for a run when we were camped in the Broncos 20, but he didn’t want the contact.
* Our right side defence is a major, major concern, and next week we will be coming up against Ponga, who will tear us to pieces. Whitehead has lost his motor, and Fog, as I mentioned at the time of his signing, is good in physical contact but makes poor decisions. There was nothing unlucky in that performance. Actually, we had all of the luck go our way. Structural issues in attack and defence cost us.
* Tapine is the best forward in the game, and I thought Elliot, Young, and Horsburgh were great in support. What I love about out pack is the balance - different body shapes, all with distinct running styles. Very hard to defend. Right side second row is an issue.
Great post. Really enjoy reading them. We may have won with Frawley as our 5/8. All we needed was calmness and a repeat set and better kicking. Jack took wrong options. Fog did the opposite of what was needed - ran when should have passed, passed when should have ran. His kicking on the 5th was terrible and I'm worried about his defence as well.

Whitehead needs to play the the English SuperLeague. He's finished as an NRL FG footballer and is a liability.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: June 12, 2022, 10:32 am
Neeeegz wrote:Seeing fogarty spray Savage at least twice wasn't a good look, fog might want to look in the mirror before he starts doing that
I think it depends on Savages character. Some young guys learn quick from a spray and it’s good for their development. But others can be negatively affected by it.

I’m 50/50 on it at the moment. Maybe better coming from another experienced Raider.

Certainly want can’t be argued is that Savage needed to setup Fogarty better last night (and it wasn’t too complex a play required, simply continue to sprint at the fullback before passing to the support player).
Savage got caught double thinking and doubting himself. Maybe it was the previous errors, maybe it's a coach who throws him up to the media whenever he makes a mistake to save his own blushes.

He just needed to either just pin the ears back and go for it, or engage the FB to set up support- he tried to do both and butchered it.

We (some forum members, me included) have been crying out for someone out there to be holding people accountable for some of these bonehead plays and trying to sort it. (as opposed to say Raps throwing two dumb miracle balls for back to back errors in a 4 point ballgame) So I'm ok with it.
the drunk
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: ron giteau

Post by the drunk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 12, 2022, 10:59 am
TongueFTW wrote: June 12, 2022, 8:37 am Thought I would feel better this morning about the game, but after watching the Stuart press conference, feel worse:

* I mentioned it in the other thread, but the lack of football IQ beggars belief. We just needed two full back to back sets, and we would have scored, yet we spent the whole time going for miracle plays in a panic, making some stupid mistakes. We did not give Timoko a single one on one chance, which beggars belief.
* As others have said, with Starling we lost any semblance of calm and control - in saying that, he made a couple of half breaks and there was no push support through the middle. This is something Savage needs to work on. Savage is a work in progress, the main issue is his handling out of trouble. Our attack definitely looks better with him there. He did drop a Reynolds kick last night, but overall I have been impressed with him under the high ball, particularly compared to CNK.
* Wighton shouldn’t have played. I saw some footage of him on Thursday morning, he was struggling to walk. He didn’t take a single run last night, or help at all coming out of trouble - understandable too, given his massive effort on Wednesday. This whole “Origin players back up” is not a general rule across all games and all performances. After the speed of the game and Jack’s performance on Wednesday, he needed a break. A couple of times I felt he could have went for a run when we were camped in the Broncos 20, but he didn’t want the contact.
* Our right side defence is a major, major concern, and next week we will be coming up against Ponga, who will tear us to pieces. Whitehead has lost his motor, and Fog, as I mentioned at the time of his signing, is good in physical contact but makes poor decisions. There was nothing unlucky in that performance. Actually, we had all of the luck go our way. Structural issues in attack and defence cost us.
* Tapine is the best forward in the game, and I thought Elliot, Young, and Horsburgh were great in support. What I love about out pack is the balance - different body shapes, all with distinct running styles. Very hard to defend. Right side second row is an issue.
Great post. Really enjoy reading them. We may have won with Frawley as our 5/8. All we needed was calmness and a repeat set and better kicking. Jack took wrong options. Fog did the opposite of what was needed - ran when should have passed, passed when should have ran. His kicking on the 5th was terrible and I'm worried about his defence as well.

Whitehead needs to play the the English SuperLeague. He's finished as an NRL FG footballer and is a liability.
Agree lack of IQ does beggar belief. All we had to do was run at the posts for the last 20 minutes and win by 2 or 3 tries. I am at a loss that we had not a single leader out there that couldn't work that out. Otherwise the effort has been good.
the drunk
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: ron giteau

Post by the drunk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 12, 2022, 10:59 am

Agree lack of IQ does beggar belief. All we had to do was run at the posts for the last 20 minutes and win by 2 or 3 tries. I am at a loss that we had not a single leader out there that couldn't work that out. Otherwise the effort has been good.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Boomercm wrote: June 12, 2022, 10:42 am

He's a very good running 5/8 who can kick pretty well now. He is just not a game manager.

Swapping him for blokes like Luai and Munster (the SOO 5/8's) wouldn't improve this team much. They are not game managers either.
Sometimes it’s addition by subtraction with team sports.

Just move him out of 5/8 and keep the combo that has been winning us games. Any combo of Fog/Frawley or Schneider.

Jack can play anywhere else and still have a significant impact. Probably start I’m at 12 in place of the inept Whitehead and then move him into 13 later in the game.

To continue to smash our heads against a brick wall by playing him in the halves role is ridiculous.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

GreenMachine wrote:

Just move him out of 5/8 and keep the combo that has been winning us games. Any combo of Fog/Frawley or Schneider.

Jack can play anywhere else and still have a significant impact. Probably start I’m at 12 in place of the inept Whitehead and then move him into 13 later in the game.

To continue to smash our heads against a brick wall by playing him in the halves role is ridiculous.
We're going to pay a second rower just under a million a year? How much does that leave to upgrade the halves?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Theoretically, we have Hodgo's money to bring in a half.

We can run value for money with Woolford at #9 in the meantime, and upgrade him when needed/from elsewhere.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's easy to sit back and 'Supercoach' the competition from a couch. What if Wighton doesn't want to play in the forwards? I honestly don't know if he does or not. Tick him off and he'll go elsewhere.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Until the next crop of youngsters (or outside purchase) comes along and are FG ready I would not be moving Jack. Three days previously he was one of the best for NSW in State of Origin. To recover in 3 days would be incredibly difficult given the pace of that Origin match and the physical contact in it.

The Raiders were leading at half time and then could not score a try in the second half. Again. There is something being said at half time which is producing this outcome week after week. Only the Coaches and Players would know what direction is being given but it is clearly not working. We made twice the errors of the Bronco's so that is something to work on for this week. I would like to see us roll the ball into the opposition in goal and go for repeat sets. We don't seem to have mastered the accuracy of this type of kick as yet.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Is that because it’s a kick that Jack is not very good at, and one he doesn’t choose when he should?

Which might be improved by… moving Jack out of the halves?
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

gergreg wrote: June 12, 2022, 12:29 pm
GreenMachine wrote:

We're going to pay a second rower just under a million a year? How much does that leave to upgrade the halves?
Doesn’t matter with our current roster and where our cap is currently spread.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

gangrenous wrote: June 12, 2022, 1:56 pm Is that because it’s a kick that Jack is not very good at, and one he doesn’t choose when he should?

I think they play to the coaches instruction gangers.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Put Adam Reynolds in our team last night we win
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

dubby wrote: June 12, 2022, 6:42 pm Put Adam Reynolds in our team last night we win
I agree. I said to my friend, swap our halves with theirs and we win. Reynolds being obviously the main one
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

RedRaider wrote:
gangrenous wrote: June 12, 2022, 1:56 pm Is that because it’s a kick that Jack is not very good at, and one he doesn’t choose when he should?

The coach’s instruction doesn’t include playing for repeat sets?

I’m not buying it…
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders prop Joe Tapine dubbed the 'best player by a mile' at Lang Park

Joe Tapine is the man in green to watch. NRL commentator Andrew Johns dubbed him the "best player on the field by a mile" following the Canberra Raiders' six-point loss.

"He's up there with the best," Jack Wighton said. "He's becoming an incredible leader, both on and off the field. We've got to get on the back of him, because he is really setting a good example for all the other players. If he keeps that up, and we can get on the back of it, to follow his lead, it'll be good."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The problem is as soon as he goes off we seem to lose our way and become headless chooks. Probably partly a Starling thing too.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

So in fairness, how much credit does Ricky get for this form. This time last year he benched him, copped it from his Missus on social media but essentially laid down a challenge that Tarps has risen to. Any credit or all Tarps?
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

I don't have any issue giving Ricky a slice of the credit for not just Tapine's form, but the resurgence of our pack in general. I think Woolford's addition was more good luck than good management, but it's evident that we've made some changes in our play to move the ball around a bit more among the forwards. The much maligned Adam Elliot has been pivotal in this adjustment. In the process we've gone from a team that was last in running meters to one which is pretty consistently winning the battle up front, even against some decent teams.

The problem is that none of this answers the big question marks that exist around Ricky as a coach, namely his ability to develop spine players and to structure an attack. Those are the areas we need to address if we want to really compete, and no amount of superhuman performances from Taps change this equation.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Taps playing in amazing form for long stints in the first half I’m sure is a big part of the reason we are unable to ice games in the second… our bench use is terrible and our main meater eater and offloader is cooked and plays less minutes when it counts.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

gangrenous wrote: June 12, 2022, 7:50 pm
RedRaider wrote:

The coach’s instruction doesn’t include playing for repeat sets?

I’m not buying it…
From my point of view, there is a change in playing tactics after half time. Some evidence for this is the lack of tries we are able to score in our second halves. The same 17 players are unable to score tries in the second half which they can in the First half. To me that is likely to be half time instructions the players are following. This is not a one off. It is happening regularly.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

dubby wrote: June 12, 2022, 6:42 pm Put Adam Reynolds in our team last night we win
Put a $750k premiership winning half into any team above a $400k journeyman half and the probably win a lot more games, yes.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: June 12, 2022, 8:14 pm The problem is as soon as he goes off we seem to lose our way and become headless chooks. Probably partly a Starling thing too.
Yeah we've played just as rudderless in long stretches of 2nd half when he is on the field and still going forward. It's on the coach, hooker and halves mainly to sort out play style in the 2nd half. I am 100% sure most of our dropped ball and errors 2nd half were a direct result of our frenetic, panicky approach.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

(1) When we had Hodgo/Sezer (footy smarts) and Jack at 5/8 we made a GF and Jack was in the conversation as the best player in the comp. When Jack played centre in Origin he was in the conversation as the best player in the game. Jack is great as a 5/8 or centre. He just needs some footy smarts around him and to play a well defined role. Jack is currently our best player (backs) - he is a rare athlete and there is not many of them. What impact on the young guys to see him perform in Origin like that!

Jack can choose where he wants to play and we can build around him. If he wants to play 5/8, then a lack of direction and footy smarts from hooker and the halfback is the problem.

Moving him to the forwards is a dumb idea at this stage (maybe well down the track).

(2) We need a stop gap solution, and a long term plan, to address the footy smarts/direction issue. Hodgson previously gave us that voice/direction. We now need that coming from others. Germ 2 looks ok from this perspective. Fog has had three games and yells a bit (though he shouldn't overly target Savage). There is some emerging hope re these stop gap solutions.

(3) Frawley is only another stop gap. You could bring him in and push Jack to centre - and maybe we win an extra game or two. But we don't challenge to win anything this year anyway. So you don't do that if it upsets Jack, or if it upsets a longer term plan to challenge in 2023/24. They may well want Frawley playing with Schneider and Trev to help guide them. If that is the plan, stick with it.

(4) Longer term you've got to hope it is Trev and Schneider that provide calmness and direction. Maybe Germ 2 in that mix as well, he's going well enough. And if the coaching staff don't believe those are the guys they will be shopping for them. It won't be a Munster type, he is the cherry on top in a well organised side. He's like Jack with a poorer running game and better vision/passing game. We need a Townsend/Reynolds type.

(and to be fair, Fogarty is a pretty good cheap approximation of this type. It's a shame he got injured and fingers crossed he improves. Many would have rated him somewhere near Townsend. Lots of people would have spat the dummy had we paid 800k for Townsend - but it would have been money well spent if we had the cash)

(5) we could well have a war chest with Hodgo money, plus other $ on the horizon (Croker etc). I think we are in a very good position to compete in 2024. We just have to cleverly spend that money and stick to long term plans.

Summary:
So far this year has been a pretty good one, if you think in terms of it being a stepping stone to a proper tilt in 2024.
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

Good post ^. There’s a plethora of evidence that Jack IS a very good half.