All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2022

Post by Botman »

In a vacuum, Brooks over Fogarty is a no brainer
But when you consider the Brooks contract.... its just not honestly feasible. That's one of the worst contracts i've ever seen in professional sports (relative to the salary cap of those leagues)
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Botman wrote: June 22, 2022, 7:24 pm Just to immediately do a 180 on what i said 2 posts ago... Jeremiah Nanai, if you want to target a second rower, that's the guy to target imo.
We did this with Tapine, identified an elite talent and did what it took to get him here and now he's one of the best players in the world. Nanai has that potential too
Would be amazing. He will be a star.
We did go way earlier on Tapine though. Ship has probably sailed on Nanai being affordable.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:In a vacuum, Brooks over Fogarty is a no brainer
But when you consider the Brooks contract.... its just not honestly feasible. That's one of the worst contracts i've ever seen in professional sports (relative to the salary cap of those leagues)
Yep. It’s signing Brooks to 5 Pie’s and 10 Schooners of Beer a game for your Monday night touch football team.

No one is worth that kind of money (although I remember playing touch against a maybe 17 yo Mclinden and he beat me on the outside, I thought whose this guy, then I see him a year or so later for Raiders)
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Luke Brooks is easily the worst career first choice halfback I have ever seen. Closing in on 200 games.

Tigers will improve with Hastings and Douehi.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

julian87 wrote: June 23, 2022, 9:04 am
simo wrote: June 22, 2022, 2:45 pm Would like us to make a play for liam Martin. Defensively outstanding and runs hard on a good line. Obviously we’d have to pay slight overs but i think in some situations you just need to do that.
Paying overs for someone from Penrith, just because they're from Penrith, would be bad news imo.
It’s absolutely not “just because hes from penrith”. Have rated him for a while. Wanted us to sign him to replace bateman
simo wrote: June 1, 2020, 11:04 am if im trying to find a replacement for bateman, im looking at someone like liam martin from penrith. hudson young is probably still my pick of them though, having been training in our system already. tough, solid and busy.
Dont delete this GE
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Beejay wrote: June 23, 2022, 12:55 pm
Botman wrote: June 22, 2022, 7:24 pm Just to immediately do a 180 on what i said 2 posts ago... Jeremiah Nanai, if you want to target a second rower, that's the guy to target imo.
We did this with Tapine, identified an elite talent and did what it took to get him here and now he's one of the best players in the world. Nanai has that potential too
Would be amazing. He will be a star.
We did go way earlier on Tapine though. Ship has probably sailed on Nanai being affordable.
We didn't go earlier on Tapine per se. They're at identical points of their career for when we sniped Tapine.

The difference is Tapine was very under rated rather than flavor of the month over rated. Knights fans weren't too worried while I was **** ecstatic. Looked a gun from the first time I saw him and has steadily improved year after year.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

simo wrote: June 23, 2022, 1:49 pm
julian87 wrote: June 23, 2022, 9:04 am
simo wrote: June 22, 2022, 2:45 pm Would like us to make a play for liam Martin. Defensively outstanding and runs hard on a good line. Obviously we’d have to pay slight overs but i think in some situations you just need to do that.
Paying overs for someone from Penrith, just because they're from Penrith, would be bad news imo.
It’s absolutely not “just because hes from penrith”. Have rated him for a while. Wanted us to sign him to replace bateman
simo wrote: June 1, 2020, 11:04 am if im trying to find a replacement for bateman, im looking at someone like liam martin from penrith. hudson young is probably still my pick of them though, having been training in our system already. tough, solid and busy.
Fair enough. I just wouldn't over pay players from premier sides. Especially second rowers. There's a huge list of failures there.

Luke Garner will waltz into the Penrith side next year and look like a world beater and be in Origin discussions imo.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gergreg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:I know Luke Brooks is an unpopular name here and the Raiders aren't at all interested, but I'm very much looking forward to seeing how he goes at another club.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
1.3 million next year has been tossed around. What the **** were the Tigers thinking when they cleared that? And whoever did should be sacked - was it Pascoe?
Yep, not sure how accurate that is, but whatever he has been paid is way too much.

That's why the Tigers are a mess. Ridiculous contracts.

However, I look at a player like Ben Hunt and can appreciate how someone in a key position can overcome the burden of expectation and become a really solid player after years of inconsistency.

Hunt is now 32 and Brooks is still only 27. He should have a few good years left in him if he goes to the right club.

He's definitely not an organising halfback though. He needs a solid 7 beside him.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

julian87 wrote:Luke Brooks is easily the worst career first choice halfback I have ever seen. Closing in on 200 games.

Brooks has never been an organising halfback. That's part of the problem. He also needs to get out of that environment.

IMO he's a talented player who struggles for consistency and plays like the whole team is relying on him to get them over the line.

Appreciate the "worst...ever" claim though. I clearly have a number of very different views to yours.

Moot point for us though. He won't be coming here, that's for sure.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on June 23, 2022, 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The August 1 deadline is looming. Here is who your club could sign on a mid-season deal

RAIDERS

Available roster spots: 2
What they need: A hooker and a prop.
Who they could target: Mitch Rein and Matt Lodge

Zac Woolford has been a revelation since rejoining the club he played his under 20s footy with and should be rewarded with one of the free spots in the Top 30.

The Raiders were in the market for a prop not too long ago and went after off-contract Bulldogs Jack Hetherington for next season. They missed out on him, but with Matt Lodge without a club, there’s an opportunity for Stuart to bolster his pack before the business end of the season.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1cc7f53b39

Mitch Rein and Matt Lodge have to be the two most ridiculous suggestions they could have come up with.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Lazy journalism.

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 23, 2022, 4:18 pm
julian87 wrote:Luke Brooks is easily the worst career first choice halfback I have ever seen. Closing in on 200 games.

Brooks has never been an organising halfback. That's part of the problem. He also needs to get out of that environment.

IMO he's a talented player who struggles for consistency and plays like the whole team is relying on him to get them over the line.

Appreciate the "worst...ever" claim though. I clearly have a number of very different views to yours.

It's hard to not post novels and make a clear point. Worst ever in this context from my point of view takes into account his run of 180 odd games as an NRL halfback. From everything I've seen (early 90s onwards) he's the worst I've seen in terms of length of career and output.

There's been a plethora of poorer halfbacks but I'd struggle to find any who've played 100 games. Even 50 would be a stretch and a pretty short list.

Seems like Newcastle or Redcliffe may pick him up. But I think even at 500k that would be a disaster for either of them. Redcliffe have done the right thing in not signing sub par star players. Someone will shake free and they'll pounce, I'm sure. I think they'll have an inception halves pairing of Keary and Milford. This is all off topic I know but that would be a win for rugby league if it happens seeing Keary at the new club and Joey Manu finally moving in field for Easts.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 23, 2022, 4:25 pm Lazy journalism.

Agree. Canberra don't need a prop or a hooker. Trevilyan, Mooney, Guler and Hola all in reserve grade as it stands.
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

Westsydneyraider wrote: June 23, 2022, 5:35 pm
julian87 wrote: June 23, 2022, 5:22 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: June 23, 2022, 4:25 pm Lazy journalism.

Agree. Canberra don't need a prop or a hooker. Trevilyan, Mooney, Guler and Hola all in reserve grade as it stands.

100%
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It’s bizarre that people think we need a middle forward
We’re lousy with them! Our nsw cup middles would be nrl players at a lot of clubs
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

I get the feeling that CNK will be released, and he will sign with Warriors, with Reece Walsh possibly on Dolphin Watch, and the fact that we are showing intrest in Jake Connor, pure Speculation here, doesnt this add add up?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Crusader wrote:I get the feeling that CNK will be released, and he will sign with Warriors, with Reece Walsh possibly on Dolphin Watch, and the fact that we are showing intrest in Jake Connor, pure Speculation here, doesnt this add add up?
I thought Walsh had committed to the Warriots about a month ago?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

Botman wrote: June 23, 2022, 5:41 pm It’s bizarre that people think we need a middle forward
We’re lousy with them! Our nsw cup middles would be nrl players at a lot of clubs
Same article says the Warriors should target Erme Guler as a replacement prop.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

gergreg wrote: June 23, 2022, 9:44 pm
Crusader wrote:I get the feeling that CNK will be released, and he will sign with Warriors, with Reece Walsh possibly on Dolphin Watch, and the fact that we are showing intrest in Jake Connor, pure Speculation here, doesnt this add add up?
I thought Walsh had committed to the Warriots about a month ago?
Yep, he's got at least another year and after that a PO if he wants.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

KasparRaider wrote:
Botman wrote: June 23, 2022, 5:41 pm It’s bizarre that people think we need a middle forward
Same article says the Warriors should target Erme Guler as a replacement prop.
Hope so. He's just as useless in reserve grade. Needs to move on.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

julian87 wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: June 23, 2022, 4:18 pm

It's hard to not post novels and make a clear point. Worst ever in this context from my point of view takes into account his run of 180 odd games as an NRL halfback. From everything I've seen (early 90s onwards) he's the worst I've seen in terms of length of career and output.

There's been a plethora of poorer halfbacks but I'd struggle to find any who've played 100 games. Even 50 would be a stretch and a pretty short list.

Seems like Newcastle or Redcliffe may pick him up. But I think even at 500k that would be a disaster for either of them. Redcliffe have done the right thing in not signing sub par star players. Someone will shake free and they'll pounce, I'm sure. I think they'll have an inception halves pairing of Keary and Milford. This is all off topic I know but that would be a win for rugby league if it happens seeing Keary at the new club and Joey Manu finally moving in field for Easts.
Not sure how much football Keary has left in his career. Those concussions make him a super risky prospect.

Brooks has certainly underperformed as a highly paid halfback, although he does turn up to play every week - unlike some others I can think of. I'd like to see him get a chance as a 6 at another club, just to see how he goes. I'm not sure Newcastle would be the best move for him though, or a team like the Warriors for that matter. He needs a club that plays with some discipline.

radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Bulldogs marquee recruit Matt Burton has reportedly informed the club he will not take up a player option for the 2024 season.
Wighton replacement?
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

radicalraider wrote: June 24, 2022, 2:17 pm Bulldogs marquee recruit Matt Burton has reportedly informed the club he will not take up a player option for the 2024 season.
Wighton replacement?
Which means he will be seeking more money than whatever they shelled out for him. There will be a number of oversized contract offers on the market to compete with Dolphins come 1 November, I presume.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Brutal for the dogs
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

He would be an ideal signing for us and worth paying overs for, but Keary to retire and Burton to Roosters is my guess.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

6. Burton
13. Wighton

I’d be very happy with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue

Post by Westsydneyraider »

I’d right now be talking to Jarrod Croker about medical retirement to get burton.
Sad but true
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Burton has also said he's looking forward to the arrival of Kikau and Mahoney. Just leveraging his contract position with the uncertainty over their coach.

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

If my comprehension of that is correct I am really perturbed. If Burton wants to move on my bet it is to a big/successful club. That is all fair enough but I'd be willing to punt that the umpteen Penrith selections and dumping of Addo-Carr as soon as he went to a small club played a part. Suali and Radley in extended squads further underlines that.

You'd be ropeable as a Dogs fan if true.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

julian87 wrote:If my comprehension of that is correct I am really perturbed. If Burton wants to move on my bet it is to a big/successful club. That is all fair enough but I'd be willing to punt that the umpteen Penrith selections and dumping of Addo-Carr as soon as he went to a small club played a part. Suali and Radley in extended squads further underlines that.

You'd be ropeable as a Dogs fan if true.
We'll have to wait and see how it unfolds but if he ends up at the Roosters some serious questions need to be asked of Fittler.

However I think these questions need to be asked anyway - can anybody give a single reason why Radley made the squad? He has been injured for the last 5 weeks. Hasn't played a game since Round 10. Is he better than Yeo or Murray. Also the second most likely player to get sinbinned in a big match (TPJ probably first in that category).

Tupou is also a stretch with JAC hitting some nice form. Suali's selection you can actually understand, kids a special talent.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Im rather confused by this conversation

If im reading this right, are we suggesting that rep selection processes are flawed and players at big market clubs are over represented based on form and abilities?

Because it seems like thats the discussion and i've got 1998 on the phone and they're asking for their content back.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yeah Radleys been in great form hasn't he.
Daniel
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Post by Daniel »

I've only read the headline, but apparently Botman is leaving us for Newcastle. Sad news. We'll miss you, Botman!

Newcastle have offer accepted for Botman: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/footbal ... ar-AAYPZ3w
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

If there was a club that I thought Botman would never go to it was Newcastle.

What next Aftghsg becomes CEO of Manly and signs Sezer to replace Cherry Evans. Whilst claiming “I was always Sezer’s biggest supporter”.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: June 25, 2022, 10:43 pm If there was a club that I thought Botman would never go to it was Newcastle.
It's a shock move alright.