38%

Total votes: 13

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: 2022 Rd 16 V Dragons: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: June 30, 2022, 11:57 am If it's as wet as forecast, someone also needs to tell Savage to put a lid on his touch football carries.
Someone should do that anyway.
Absolutely.

This place would melt down if CNK was a last minute replacement in this game, but if the rain is as bad as expected and I was the coach, I'd absolutely consider doing it. But having named him to start, I expect the coach will show confidence in Savage irrespective of the conditions.

Last edited by Seiffert82 on June 30, 2022, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

CNK hasn't exactly been error free this year, particularly under the high ball or cleaning up grubbers where Savage far excels...
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The Nickman wrote: June 30, 2022, 9:50 am Who is "advocating for CNK over Savage"? I must've missed that post.

All I see is a lot of disproportional hate thrown towards CNK for simply being named on the bench, a role I think suits his versatility quite well.
Not really if you're rolling with a 9 on the bench though. 2 big men is pretty radical, every time we try and be radical it tends to fail :roflmao

Especially when you consider we have Whitehead who is gassed after 15 minutes.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We're 3 days away from kick off and ol Seiffert is already EDIT for a Savage error :lol:
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Yeah CNK is a much better option than Schiller, given the latter can really only play wing and FB at a pinch.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 30, 2022, 3:13 pm
The Nickman wrote: June 30, 2022, 9:50 am Who is "advocating for CNK over Savage"? I must've missed that post.

All I see is a lot of disproportional hate thrown towards CNK for simply being named on the bench, a role I think suits his versatility quite well.
Not really if you're rolling with a 9 on the bench though. 2 big men is pretty radical, every time we try and be radical it tends to fail :roflmao

Rocky has been carrying a useless back on the bench since before this week, I'd much rather have CNK there who can cover anywhere in the backline than Schiller.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: June 30, 2022, 3:28 pm

Rocky has been carrying a useless back on the bench since before this week, I'd much rather have CNK there who can cover anywhere in the backline than Schiller.
I’d much rather have someone like CHN who can actually play a useful role every week, and use a combo of CHN/Elliot/smelly to fill a gap at centre and shuffle on the off chance we actually lose a back for the match.

Compromising every week just in case a low percentage concern happens is backwards thinking.

For the record, we are the only team in the comp to carry a back and a hooker on the bench this week.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Just watched the 2016 game at Kogarah, the one that went into golden point.

The floodlights blew, and Jack threw the best intercept pass ever for the Aiken try.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
lightning
Sam Backo

Post by lightning »

Azza wrote: June 30, 2022, 2:26 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: June 30, 2022, 10:53 am
Raider Azz wrote: June 29, 2022, 11:11 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: June 29, 2022, 6:38 pm Canberra Raiders' run home has them primed for NRL finals

The Raiders have one of the easiest draws of the six clubs fighting it out for the bottom two spots in the top eight. Using the average ladder position of their opponents as a guide to how tough the remaining fixtures were, the Raiders have the second best run home with 9.6 their average. The Knights (10.5) were the only one of the six teams with a higher average, and therefore easier draw.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

BEHIND THE LIMELIGHT: Sebastian Kris: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/06 ... ian-kris3/
I feel like it will be very out of character for us to storm home for a 6-8 placed finish.

Ricky sides tend to either be more or less competent all year (2016, 2019, 2020); or else a frustrating, underachieving, game squandering rabble who just can’t get it together (2017, 2018, 2021).

You have to unfortunately say that we have taken on the character of the latter, rather than the former this year.
We were not competent all year in 2016. We were average as hell the first half of the season (middling around 8th place) then suddenly turned invincible and went on a 10 game winning streak to finish 2nd.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk
Went back to jog my memory.

We started the season 4-1, and rounded out the season by going 13-1.

Apart from a little form slump in the middle of the year where we went 1-4, we were pretty consistent all year.

By this point of the year in 2016 we were well entrenched in the top 4.
Shoulda won the comp. Blew it with that Sharks home game in week 1 of the finals.
Is that the game Edrick Lee dropped some absolute sitters to a point you almost wondered if he had money on the game
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote:

I’d much rather have someone like CHN who can actually play a useful role every week, and use a combo of CHN/Elliot/smelly to fill a gap at centre and shuffle on the off chance we actually lose a back for the match.

Compromising every week just in case a low percentage concern happens is backwards thinking.

For the record, we are the only team in the comp to carry a back and a hooker on the bench this week.
It appears that CHN has **** in Ricky's cornflakes or something.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote:We're 3 days away from kick off and ol Seiffert is already EDIT for a Savage error Image
Can't wait.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

lightning wrote: June 30, 2022, 5:00 pm
Azza wrote: June 30, 2022, 2:26 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: June 30, 2022, 10:53 am
Raider Azz wrote: June 29, 2022, 11:11 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:
I feel like it will be very out of character for us to storm home for a 6-8 placed finish.

Ricky sides tend to either be more or less competent all year (2016, 2019, 2020); or else a frustrating, underachieving, game squandering rabble who just can’t get it together (2017, 2018, 2021).

You have to unfortunately say that we have taken on the character of the latter, rather than the former this year.
We were not competent all year in 2016. We were average as hell the first half of the season (middling around 8th place) then suddenly turned invincible and went on a 10 game winning streak to finish 2nd.

Went back to jog my memory.

We started the season 4-1, and rounded out the season by going 13-1.

Apart from a little form slump in the middle of the year where we went 1-4, we were pretty consistent all year.

By this point of the year in 2016 we were well entrenched in the top 4.
Shoulda won the comp. Blew it with that Sharks home game in week 1 of the finals.
Is that the game Edrick Lee dropped some absolute sitters to a point you almost wondered if he had money on the game
That was the prelim.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders first, then Jordan Rapana sets sights on representing the New Zealand Kiwis at the Rugby League World Cup

Fresh from a starring role for New Zealand, Jordan Rapana now has his sights set on the World Cup.

"Given the body holds up for the remainder of the season, I'd obviously love to be part of the World Cup. But I've got to be playing well and stay injury free. The goal is to win a comp here. That's the ultimate goal, but that'd be awesome to be a part of that tour at the end of the year."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders ready for wild Wollongong

The Bureau of Meteorology is forecasting up to 90 millimetres of rain and 40 km/h winds for Wollongong on Sunday.

"We addressed that in video this morning, especially in our back field with me, Xavier and Nick making sure we're on our A-game," Jordan Rapana said. "We know it's going to be a windy and miserable day so we've got to make sure our errors are a lot better than they have been and give ourselves every chance."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders v Dragons: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35213

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/06 ... v-dragons/

VIDEO: James Graham and Renee Gartner preview the Round 16 match between the St George Illawarra Dragons and the Canberra Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/06/30/dra ... -round-16/
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

It’s only Thursday and I’m already furious about the result of our game on Sunday. I can feel it coming.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Finchy wrote:It’s only Thursday and I’m already furious about the result of our game on Sunday. I can feel it coming.
Yep. This is a classic Raiders shoulda won but didn't kind of game

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Toviii wrote: June 30, 2022, 3:03 pm CNK hasn't exactly been error free this year, particularly under the high ball or cleaning up grubbers where Savage far excels...
Yep
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: June 30, 2022, 6:43 pm
Finchy wrote:It’s only Thursday and I’m already furious about the result of our game on Sunday. I can feel it coming.

You can feel the stink bomb brewing in the waters :lol:
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Across 2017/2018/2021/2022 there must be close to a neat round number of about 20 games where we have seriously pissed it up the wall. Usually games with massive leads squandered where any moderately competent side ices the game.

I seriously wonder where that legitimate resilience we had for a little while there circa 2019 disappeared to.
Up The Milk
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

gergreg wrote: June 30, 2022, 5:11 pm
Coastalraider wrote:

It appears that CHN has **** in Ricky's cornflakes or something.
I've changed my mind on this and think maybe it's something more personal we're not aware of. If it was just the coach CHN could put on a clinic in NSW cup with his skillset. If it is just a coaching decision it's not a great one.
Off
Laurie Daley

Re: 2022 Rd 16 V Dragons: Game Day

Post by Off »

Will be played in a monsoon of mud, these games need smarts, we are the dumbest team I have ever seen , Dragonz by 10

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: June 30, 2022, 10:42 pm

Across 2017/2018/2021/2022 there must be close to a neat round number of about 20 games where we have seriously pissed it up the wall. Usually games with massive leads squandered where any moderately competent side ices the game.

I seriously wonder where that legitimate resilience we had for a little while there circa 2019 disappeared to.
And we win those games like a moderately competent team should and we make the finals every one of those seasons.

I suspect a large chunk of the legitimate resilience disappeared back to England in Johnny Bateman's carry-on.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

The Nickman wrote: July 1, 2022, 9:50 am

And we win those games like a moderately competent team should and we make the finals every one of those seasons.

I suspect a large chunk of the legitimate resilience disappeared back to England in Johnny Bateman's carry-on.
Not having a halfback that could consistently control a game by forcing repeat sets at crucial times is another important factor. Slowing down or controlling momentum is massive, but unfortunately missing during those years.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

President Clinton wrote:
The Nickman wrote: July 1, 2022, 9:50 am

Not having a halfback that could consistently control a game by forcing repeat sets at crucial times is another important factor. Slowing down or controlling momentum is massive, but unfortunately missing during those years.
Yep, there is a fine line between forcing a repeat set and conceding 20m with 7 tackles.

Excepting 2019, we've consistently crossed that line.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Not Dragons-game related, but also not worth it's own thread, so I'll just put it here.

Pretty ordinary reading for Raiders fans considering the Warriors haven't even been in their own country.

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Well we stink and so does our stadium so what do you expect
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Oh I agree, who'd pay to watch this rabble. Just saying it's ordinary reading.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

God, Canberra home fans are the absolute worst... go to any away game in Qld and it's packed with Raiders fans who have travelled from all over the state, go to Canberra and they all stay home and complain about their seven minute commute.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

The Nickman wrote: July 1, 2022, 11:56 am God, Canberra home fans are the absolute worst... go to any away game in Qld and it's packed with Raiders fans who have travelled from all over the state, go to Canberra and they all stay home and complain about their seven minute commute.
Don’t live in Canberra anymore but I can’t agree with this.

I reckon most of the crowds we get at GIO are admirable considering the often below freezing conditions and the abomination of a stadium down there which seems to actively contribute to how cold and miserable it is in there through its design.
Up The Milk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 1, 2022, 12:16 pm
The Nickman wrote: July 1, 2022, 11:56 am God, Canberra home fans are the absolute worst... go to any away game in Qld and it's packed with Raiders fans who have travelled from all over the state, go to Canberra and they all stay home and complain about their seven minute commute.

I reckon most of the crowds we get at GIO are admirable considering the often below freezing conditions and the abomination of a stadium down there which seems to actively contribute to how cold and miserable it is in there through its design.
Wait a second... Canberrans are ALWAYS trying to convince me that the weather's not THAT bad down there. You can't have it both ways, which is it? Inhospitable hellhole or not?
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Drandyt »

-PJ- wrote: June 30, 2022, 4:47 pm Just watched the 2016 game at Kogarah, the one that went into golden point.

The floodlights blew, and Jack threw the best intercept pass ever for the Aiken try.
Why would you do that to yourself??
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Finchy wrote: July 1, 2022, 10:59 am Not Dragons-game related, but also not worth it's own thread, so I'll just put it here.

Pretty ordinary reading for Raiders fans considering the Warriors haven't even been in their own country.

As a proportion of population though... we do much better than Brisbane, by my maths
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The Nickman wrote: July 1, 2022, 12:18 pm

Wait a second... Canberrans are ALWAYS trying to convince me that the weather's not THAT bad down there. You can't have it both ways, which is it? Inhospitable hellhole or not?
We object to the term "Urine soaked hell hole" when you could have said "pee pee soaked heck hole"
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote: July 1, 2022, 12:42 pm
The Nickman wrote: July 1, 2022, 12:18 pm

We object to the term "Urine soaked hell hole" when you could have said "pee pee soaked heck hole"
Freezing hell hole?

no, crowds at stadium!
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Drandyt wrote:
-PJ- wrote: June 30, 2022, 4:47 pm Just watched the 2016 game at Kogarah, the one that went into golden point.

Why would you do that to yourself??
Only moment from that game i remember is Blake Austin getting socked in the face by Joel Thompson, lying down with blood streaming out of his nose and is told to get up and play the ball. Infuriating game.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The average crowd at Canberra Stadium this year is 12,300 on my calculations, as they only got 8,000 at Wagga (which is included in the quoted average above).

The other thing to note is some teams numbers are inflated by Magic Round, but not Canberra. The Sharks’ home crowd is just a little over 10,000. The Sea Eagles’ home crowd is 12,000. The Titans’ home crowd is 12,200. The Roosters’ home crowd is 11,800. The Tigers’ home crowd in 11,300.

Accounting for Magic Round, the Storm home crowd is actually 15,250. The Bulldogs’ home crowd just over 14,300.

The Warriors’ crowd at Redcliffe has been 6,200, including a match against the Broncos which was sold out. Small stadium though.

The Dragons’ got the home billing for ANZAC Day at the SCG this year. Their average home ground is 11,000.

A more reasonable interpretation of the numbers is that the Raiders’ home drawing strength is about six places higher… in a poor season.

No doubt I’d like to see them all a lot higher.

https://afltables.com/rl/crowds/canberra.html