Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: The Film Thread

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Thor teaser dropped
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Looks pretty good!
Ragnarok was one of the best marvel films in their history. And this looks to be picking up where it left off in terms of the how it's approaching Thor as a character.
Really looking forward to it

Unforuntately i just realised Multiverse of Madness comes on Thursday the 6th of march, i fly out to Fiji at 6am that morning, and am driving up to sydney the night before so the midnight sessions are out too... im going to have to get through 2.5 weeks of a holiday avoiding all the spoilers and try and go and watch it the day after i get back.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah it’s looking good. I’m curious about his journey to find who he is. I’ve been thinking lately how being the only one worthy to wield Mjolnir was his thing. Now Cap and Portman have both proved worthy, is this part of his search to find himself?

Good luck with spoiler dodging, I’ll keep watch around this place for you! I’m still dodging Moonknight for now till I can binge it proper.

In other news, Ive watched Star Wars 1 - 6, and powering through Mandalorian. Wrapped up Season 1 and onto Season 2. Damn this show is good!
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched Local Hero (again). It is nearly 40 years old and it is still as wonderful as it was when first released. It has stunning photography, scenery and perfect music for the film. Quirky, gentle humour and it makes your heart ache at times. It envelops you in the atmosphere.

I went to the village it was filmed at… and the beaches it was filmed at. The village near Aberdeen on the east coast of Scotland and the beach on the west. In the village I got abused by a lady who came out of her house… simply for parking on the street across from her kitchen, obscuring her view of the beach. Quirky, but not in the way I was expecting.

Has a lot of parallels with Brigadoon.

It is just about the perfect film, and one of my favourites of all time.

On Amazon and Tubi.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

watched MoM today, managed to avoid spoilers on the holiday and thought it was good but not great
Im feeling this phase 4 of the MCU is a bit of a table setter and ultimately a little disappointing... but i have great hopes for what it's setting up, and thats hopefully a some Xmen/F4 content which im dying for.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I haven’t seen it, but I listen to Kevin Smiths podcast, and his review sounded like it wasn’t as mad as the title suggests.

I’ll still watch it, but I think it’ll be a Disney + one for me. Speaking of, about to finally finish the Star Wars series tomorrow. Ep 8 was ok. It was the weakest of the bunch I think. Feel like they did Luke dirty in it

Nickman's love of NSW
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

The Film Thread

Post by Sid »

When I first saw stuff pop up for She Hulk : Attorney at Law I thought they were satire trailers as a joke for how many Marvel/Superhero spin-offs/sequels etc. there are, but it looks like it’s a legit show
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the she hulk trailer CGI was... concerning.... i love the character though and think the show can be good if the asthetics are ok. BIG ask though!

Mostly right now im locked into the next Star Wars vehicle. Im very bullish on what Obi Wan will be as a show.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Surprised at how good the Top Gun sequel was. Excellent

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: May 25, 2022, 9:23 pm Surprised at how good the Top Gun sequel was. Excellent

Heard nothing but great things about it... apparently it **** rules :lol:
I dont reckon ill go out and see it at the movies but im going to watch it the moment it comes out via one my many streaming platforms.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Top Gun is like trying to capture lightning in a bottle- twice.

First one was great because it was a rollicking action flick that was completely the zeitgeist of it's times. Which also gave it legs as a cheesy rewatch exactly because it was so hilariously uber 80s (see Futureman) full of homoerotic volleyball and 80s film cliches - the crusty old dean/chief/admiral the maverick cop/pilot/agent and his partner who dies/is kidnapped/dies/dies.

If they can make it again without being so slick it's boring/lacks rewatchability and ensure it dates horribly but hilariously into the future without trying too hard- lightning in a bottle but STILL works as an action film... Only Maverick could do it!

The original was COMPLETELY without irony, introspection or **** given. Can they still do that?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

BadnMean wrote:Top Gun is like trying to capture lightning in a bottle- twice.

First one was great because it was a rollicking action flick that was completely the zeitgeist of it's times. Which also gave it legs as a cheesy rewatch exactly because it was so hilariously uber 80s (see Futureman) full of homoerotic volleyball and 80s film cliches - the crusty old dean/chief/admiral the maverick cop/pilot/agent and his partner who dies/is kidnapped/dies/dies.

If they can make it again without being so slick it's boring/lacks rewatchability and ensure it dates horribly but hilariously into the future without trying too hard- lightning in a bottle but STILL works as an action film... Only Maverick could do it!

The original was COMPLETELY without irony, introspection or **** given. Can they still do that?
Have you even watched it?

Botman this is a movie that is made for the big screen , worth seeing in the cinema.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I think I suffer from a Tom Cruise paradox. I feel like I don’t like him, in fact I know I don’t like him. But I love so many of his movies.
  • Top Gun
  • Mission Impossible
  • Days of Thunder
  • His role in Tropic Thunder
  • Edge of Tomorrow
  • Minority Report
  • Interview with a Vampire
So while I think I don’t like him, there’s evidence there to suggest otherwise

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: May 29, 2022, 3:42 pm

Botman this is a movie that is made for the big screen , worth seeing in the cinema.

You're about the 6th person to tell me that too. Really making me rethink my decision!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: May 29, 2022, 3:42 pm

Not sure if it was out when I posted that. No I haven't- did I say so in the post?

Pretty sure I talked about the first film then used the word "if" to indicate uncertainty, as in I haven't seen it. Then I ask if they can do it again- another clue I'm not claiming to have seen it. Not a single part where I knocked the new one- you might find "Only Maverick could do it!" as fun/hopeful...

If you like it- please rave about it. Not quite sure why you had to have a grab at me?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:I think I suffer from a Tom Cruise paradox. I feel like I don’t like him, in fact I know I don’t like him. But I love so many of his movies.
  • Top Gun
  • Mission Impossible
  • Days of Thunder
  • His role in Tropic Thunder
  • Edge of Tomorrow
  • Minority Report
  • Interview with a Vampire
So while I think I don’t like him, there’s evidence there to suggest otherwise
No paradox for me. Can't stand him, can't sit through any movie he is in. Same as Nic Cage.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

@Botman - Do you listen to Kevin Smith’s “Fatman Beyond” Podcast? I think you’d like it. He hosts it with Mark Bernardin, who’s been a writer on shows like Star Trek.

In the latest Ep, Bernardin was trying to make a point about possibly getting “Marvel fatigue”. His thinking was 12 years ago, you would get 1-2 Marvel movies a year, with an all-in movie every 2-3 years. But since End Game, there’s a movie practically every quarter, and a tv show every month. So you find yourself watching stuff so that you don’t fall out of the loop, rather than actually waiting a year and looking forward to it.

The more I think about it, I think that’s a fair argument, and I think I’m in that bucket. I think the new X-Men would probably snap me out of that, but I’m keen to see what you think about this.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 3, 2022, 6:25 pm @Botman - Do you listen to Kevin Smith’s “Fatman Beyond” Podcast? I think you’d like it. He hosts it with Mark Bernardin, who’s been a writer on shows like Star Trek.

In the latest Ep, Bernardin was trying to make a point about possibly getting “Marvel fatigue”. His thinking was 12 years ago, you would get 1-2 Marvel movies a year, with an all-in movie every 2-3 years. But since End Game, there’s a movie practically every quarter, and a tv show every month. So you find yourself watching stuff so that you don’t fall out of the loop, rather than actually waiting a year and looking forward to it.

The more I think about it, I think that’s a fair argument, and I think I’m in that bucket. I think the new X-Men would probably snap me out of that, but I’m keen to see what you think about this.
I used to love Kevin Smith, his movies are still some of my favourites because i watched them so often in my formative years
Something about his podcast when i gave it a try just didnt quite capture me, so i let it go fairly quickly (i have a long podcast list, so my trigger finger is pretty itchy on pods im just not into)

Re: Marvel fatigue... i can understand that, and i think it's certainly going to be a problem for lots of people, this phase 4 is not only a lot but it's a lot to keep track of too, there is so much going on, i genuinely dont know how they're going to bring it all back for the team up movies

That being said i think Loki was probably the best content they've done in marvel so far, including the infinity saga. I've genuinely enjoyed every thing they've put out bar the Eternals (which absolutely sucked ****), so for me im not there yet and i dont think i will ever get there, i love the genre too much i think

but i agree it's a fair argument and people are going to feel that way, its something they're going to have to wrestle with. But all those people suffering fatigue... the moment that proper MCU Fantastic 4/X-Men drops, they'll all come swarming back :lol:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: June 3, 2022, 8:55 pm Image
If i had a dollar for everytime me and my dumb mates got drunk/high and ended up watching malrats, i'd have had about $3 more a week to spend on booze and weed
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Botman wrote:I used to love Kevin Smith, his movies are still some of my favourites because i watched them so often in my formative years
Something about his podcast when i gave it a try just didnt quite capture me, so i let it go fairly quickly (i have a long podcast list, so my trigger finger is pretty itchy on pods im just not into)

Re: Marvel fatigue... i can understand that, and i think it's certainly going to be a problem for lots of people, this phase 4 is not only a lot but it's a lot to keep track of too, there is so much going on, i genuinely dont know how they're going to bring it all back for the team up movies

That being said i think Loki was probably the best content they've done in marvel so far, including the infinity saga. I've genuinely enjoyed every thing they've put out bar the Eternals (which absolutely sucked ****), so for me im not there yet and i dont think i will ever get there, i love the genre too much i think

but i agree it's a fair argument and people are going to feel that way, its something they're going to have to wrestle with. But all those people suffering fatigue... the moment that proper MCU Fantastic 4/X-Men drops, they'll all come swarming back :lol:
Yeah I think that’s fair point about Kevin. I think if Fatman Beyond was just him, it would get dull. Nothing on him, but I think because he’s just a massive film / comic fan, he loves everything. So his reviews are just praising everything, with the caveat “If I don’t like a movie, I won’t talk about it at all.” This is where I think Mark comes in handy, to add that proper in-depth review.

I see these movies turning out to be similar to how people read comics. There god knows how many different characters out there, you don’t need to read them all, you’ll just align to the ones you like. Same with the movies.

Nickman's love of NSW
Rusty Crowe
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Rusty Crowe »

Rewatched The Water Diviner last night with Terri. Cracking movie that still holds its own.

Anyone else looking forward to seeing the new Thor flick? I’m hearing it’s the best one yet.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

My wife and I went to see Top Gun Maverick last night. Both of us loved it. Very Hollywood hero, but some laugh out loud funny scenes as well. Action sequences impressive and lots of the music used in TG1. Good to see Val Kilmer in it. We'll go again. Azza is on the money with this one.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

RedRaider wrote: June 30, 2022, 8:20 pm My wife and I went to see Top Gun Maverick last night. Both of us loved it. Very Hollywood hero, but some laugh out loud funny scenes as well. Action sequences impressive and lots of the music used in TG1. Good to see Val Kilmer in it. We'll go again. Azza is on the money with this one.
I've seen it twice (had a voucher to blow) and didn't regret the second visit. Would have loved to have seen it in IMAX but alas, the Sydney one is still being re-built.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I watched Dune last night. It was much better than I thought it might be, having seen the original film. One of the films of the year in 2021, not sure about that. The state of film making is sadly at a fairly low ebb, dominated by comic book movies.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: September 22, 2022, 12:15 pm I watched Dune last night. It was much better than I thought it might be, having seen the original film. One of the films of the year in 2021, not sure about that. The state of film making is sadly at a fairly low ebb, dominated by comic book movies.
And remakes/rehashes.

The mid budget movies where a lot of the quality or more original film making used to be has dried up.

So we get a few big budget movies which need to part of a franchise/appeal to everybody + foreign markets in order to make their profit so we get these kind of bland films popping up (comic films included).

The flip side is the creative juice has flipped to streamers where the limited run series or occasional quality tv show has filled that niche to some degree.
RackyRaces
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Meninga

Post by RackyRaces »

Do NOT watch the latest Thor movie, Love and Thunder. It was the worst movie of the year by a wide margin. It was like the producers, directors, writers and actors all got together and said 'let's put gags in everywhere, even when it's not needed'. The result was pretty much unmatchable.
Anyone but Panferz
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Thor’s not that bad. If you’re expecting Ragnarok again, you’d be bummed. But it’s fine for what it is.

I feel like Taika can’t do serious. When he’s not taking it serious and he’s having fun, his work is fire. Once he starts trying to be deep and serious, it doesn’t work. Our Flag Means Death showcases this perfectly. First half of the series is magical, then it starts faltering as it gets serious.

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Film Thread

greeneyed wrote:I watched Dune last night. It was much better than I thought it might be, having seen the original film. One of the films of the year in 2021, not sure about that. The state of film making is sadly at a fairly low ebb, dominated by comic book movies.
Yeah I liked Dune. Never saw the original, or read the book. So the first 20 mins was spent pausing, and working through with Mrs Fui what was going on. But I liked it.

Agree with BnM. There’s a lot of good mid budget films going around. I feel film making is at a point now where the cinema will be just for your big blockbuster franchises, and your more indie films will go direct to streaming.

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched “Pressure Point” on Netflix. It’s seems the critics didn’t like it, but I’m a sucker for American sports against the odds movies (this time rowing), so I enjoyed it. Gets a high audience score on Rotten Tomatoes and can see why.

Watched “Coda” last night after Telstra gave me three months “free” for Apple TV+. I can see why it won Best Picture. Worth watching. But having watched it, there’s pretty much nothing else I want to see on Apple TV+. I started watching “Spirited” but it’s horrendous.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Try Ted Lasso on A+ GE, very enjoyable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Agree. Ted Lasso is one of the best shows going around. Hanging for Season 3

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brewdle wrote: November 19, 2022, 2:08 pm Try Ted Lasso on A+ GE, very enjoyable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, agree, but have seen it last time I subscribed.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watch Pinocchio, the version directed by Guillermo del Toro, on Netflix. A simply terrific film. The best animated film I've seen in a very long time. The documentary that accompanies it, which shows how the stop action animation is done an eye opener as well.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I got through half of a Christmas Ransom on Stan. It was c r ap

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine