11%
Titans 13+
No votes

Total votes: 9

twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Re: 2022 Rd 20 V Titans: Game Day

Post by twistedbydesign »

Agree 100% on Leilua. He was excellent for us for several seasons, when you consider his career before and after the Raiders we got incredible value from that signing.

To the game, I thought our kicking game was as good as I've seen it in quite a while. Admittedly this might have a bit to do with kicking off quick PTBs/poor pressure from the Titans, but both Fogarty and Wighton were impressive with their kicks. Fogs is no world beater, but he does have a very handy grubber when we're attacking the line.

CHN produced a 20 minute highlight reel of everything that Stuart hates about him - pushed passes, dumb penalties, lazy efforts in defense, it was all there. I don't think he'll be dropped as we really don't have any depth at the position, but it was a huge disappointment after last week's performance.

The left edge combo of Wighton-Young-Kris-Cotric is building nicely. All four are big, powerful runners of the footy with decent skill, with another year or so playing together we could have some real threat on that side of the field moving forward.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

julian87 wrote: July 30, 2022, 10:23 pm Few things put of this game and thread.

- Savage is a work in progress. Infuriating at times but there are no other options. And his superiority to CNK in attack can not be overstated.

- Hopoate. Had a great game last week. But he's just too limited. He's short. He's slow. He's rigid. He's better than Valemei. But he has to be your #30 player really. He'll never be a genuine first grader imo.

- I like the Seb Kris kudos. Very good centre. And in fact if these were our top 2 centres (with HSS about as well) we probably have the best monetary output combo there in the comp.

- We need to sign a genuine lock. We will miss Elliott.
With Rushton and Mooney coming through, I'm not worried about lock. We've got a few good options there. Second row is where we fall short.
mobrulesall
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Andrew McFadden

Post by mobrulesall »

For mine, next week determines if we play in September. If Luai is still out we are in with a shot.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Cleary and Luai are no chance of playing against us.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2022- ... 095c504603

Let's hope Tapine doesn't face a suspension for the punch as suggested for this article. For me it seemed that the 10 min in the bin would suffice and perhaps a fine.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 31, 2022, 9:43 am https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2022- ... 095c504603

Let's hope Tapine doesn't face a suspension for the punch as suggested for this article. For me it seemed that the 10 min in the bin would suffice and perhaps a fine.
I can’t see a punch anywhere there. The camera follows the offload and play so maybe something happened I didn’t see but you’d have to be disappointed getting a week for that push and shove.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

zim wrote: July 30, 2022, 5:13 pm Not sure what CHN, Timoko and Hoppa were smoking in that second half. Terrible defense all round. Expecting a lot of the laziness to clean up next week just because we're facing the panthers.
Vaping in the half time break
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

There’s two areas where Fog is really starting to find his feet. Those short grubbers near the line and the long pass onto Wighton’s chest.

It’s giving us some structure in the attacking 20 and creating room for our edges.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

mick63 wrote:
julian87 wrote: July 30, 2022, 10:11 pm
radicalraider wrote: July 30, 2022, 5:04 pm Chn is bj leilua in disguise... dumb and inconsistent.. drop the clown
Nah I won't cop that. Leilua was sublime for Canberra over a very long stretch. I've never been able to bring myself to re-watxh what u folded about 5 metres in front of me at the grand final. But he was a gun. 2016 Leilua in attack is unparalleled as an out and out centre in the modern game for mine.
Yeah,same.

I’ll rewatch the ‘19 GF one day.

But it’s still a long way off.
I don't think I ever can.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

JWH got a fine for shoving his elbow into the throat of Fulton - not much talk about the open hand palm strike to the face a minute earlier. It would be so NRL to suspend Tapine when JWH and NAS get away with worse on a weekly basis.

I really liked some of the individual efforts yesterday. A fantastic effort from Fogarty to keep Herbert (?) In goal after a little grubber. Some great one-on-one defence from quite a few, Jack and Kris and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head. Really strong game from Hudson Young and that was the best half of football from Cotric in a very long time.

Well done to the players and coaching staff for turning the season around, we looked cooked 2 months back.

I thought everyone played well. A few lapses, when we were down a player that was a soft one but after so much sustained pressure it wasn't unexpected. Then that soft one at the end, but still a good defensive effort all things considered.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 31, 2022, 9:43 am https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2022- ... 095c504603

He will escape with a fine imo
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Fog is keeping it simple with nice short kicking and early wide ball to the backs.

The one area of his game I’m a little concerned with is his defence.

That being said , most of the rubbish seemed to coincide with CHN playing next to him…

I love what CHN brings in attack but he needs to be reminded to be more focused in defence and smarten up with his general decision making.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders prop Joe Tapine charged with grade one contrary conduct, will escape with a fine

Canberra Raiders forward Joseph Tapine was charged for grade one contrary conduct on Titans forward David Fifita and is facing a $1,000-$1,500 fine.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/13/jud ... t-charges/
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

I see the Titans are saying publicly that letting Jamal go was a huge mistake. He does seem to be finding his feet here.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Getting rid of your genuine 7 to run a spine full of juniors and players out of position was not the best recruitment decision. They would have been better off this year with:
1. Brimson
6. Sexton
7. Fogarty

They're also hamstrung by that 1.2mill dead weight in the second row. A reasonable contract there would have seen them easily hold onto fog.
They may see Sexton as the long term 7 but he needs a couple of years with a proper partner next to him.

The spine isn't even their biggest issue. Foran arriving next year will help. They really need to find some defense out wide.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

zim wrote: July 31, 2022, 12:28 pm Getting rid of your genuine 7 to run a spine full of juniors and players out of position was not the best recruitment decision. They would have been better off this year with:
1. Brimson
6. Sexton
7. Fogarty

They're also hamstrung by that 1.2mill dead weight in the second row. A reasonable contract there would have seen them easily hold onto fog.
They may see Sexton as the long term 7 but he needs a couple of years with a proper partner next to him.

The spine isn't even their biggest issue. Foran arriving next year will help. They really need to find some defense out wide.
What did the Titans see from Sexton that made them let Fogarty go and cement him as the their number 7?

I’m mean he’s guided them to the spoon this year and wasn’t even in the 17 last year. Crazy decision that sums up the Titans FC.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Been great in juniors and reserve grade. Pretty much the same process we've been running with our junior 7's that came through.
He'd be fine with a senior guy next to him and a side that could sometimes defend its mistakes. Take that pressure away from always feeling like you HAVE to make something happen and you'll see him start to make better decisions and build to a win rather than so much eyes up footy.
I don't think this year is on him even if he's wearing the 7.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Titans handling is atrocious. We were gifted the ball too many times. Losing players to vaping at half time and have the player post it on social media says a lot about the culture at the Titans. It is not illegal but it's not professional either.

As for the Raiders recruitment for next year we do need another edge back rower. Preferably a good defender who will be able to assist on the Fog, Timoko side.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

RedRaider wrote: July 31, 2022, 1:24 pm Titans handling is atrocious. We were gifted the ball too many times. Losing players to vaping at half time and have the player post it on social media says a lot about the culture at the Titans. It is not illegal but it's not professional either.

As for the Raiders recruitment for next year we do need another edge back rower. Preferably a good defender who will be able to assist on the Fog, Timoko side.
I agree about the Titans Red. There are a few players in that team that are top shelf but geez they play badly. Something not right at that club!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' Joe Tapine explains his reaction to Aaron Booth tackle

Joe Tapine wasn't proud of his fiery reaction to Titans hooker Aaron Booth diving at the Raiders prop's legs late in a three-man tackle. But Tapine believes Booth's actions were unacceptable.

"I felt like it was a cannonball," he said. "If I did that to someone, I would be getting penalised so that's what really angered me. It was dangerous contact. I shouldn't have reacted like that, but it is what it is."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Johns is 100% right and it was what I said at the time
Whether it technically meets the criteria for a cannonball, its a dangerous tackle with serious ability to injury a prone player

I don’t know that his solution is right, would have to think more about it but that sort of tackle HAS to get legislated out of the game. Whether he technically hits the hamstrings first doesn’t change his intent, which is to attack the legs and buckle the player, and if you wreck his knee is the process, so be it

That all being said, and I won’t harp on it because as others highlighted last night, he’s improved dramatically in this area… but tarps can’t react like that and get himself binned. He’s just gotta compose himself a bit.
Last edited by Botman on July 31, 2022, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

100% right, just because he grazed the hamstrings doesn't mean it wasn't dangerous

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Yeah don’t disagree, but there needs to be a common sense approach to determining a crook tackle and not a technical criteria based approach like in union where the video refs seems to need precision instruments to determine if it’s play on or send off depending on first contact and regardless of outcome. It’s crazy stuff.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Yep, can't believe how many people are defending the tackle because "oh well his shoulder grazed the hamstrings". ****?! It's still goddamn dangerous!

We had a huge stroke of luck this week. Every single result we needed went our way, and Cleary is suspended for five weeks. If we're to make the finals, this week and next week are so important.

The lack of Cleary and Luai next week makes the Penrith game so much more winnable. We CANNOT miss this opportunity.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Narrator: but alas, they missed the opportunity
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

More like death ride the raiders forum.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

raiderskater wrote: July 31, 2022, 6:14 pm Yep, can't believe how many people are defending the tackle because "oh well his shoulder grazed the hamstrings". ****?! It's still goddamn dangerous!

We had a huge stroke of luck this week. Every single result we needed went our way, and Cleary is suspended for five weeks. If we're to make the finals, this week and next week are so important.

The lack of Cleary and Luai next week makes the Penrith game so much more winnable. We CANNOT miss this opportunity.
The win isn’t in doubt it’s really just about how much we can improve our for and against I think!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

raiderskater wrote:Yep, can't believe how many people are defending the tackle because "oh well his shoulder grazed the hamstrings". ****?! It's still goddamn dangerous!

Warriors over Storm too would have been nice ImageImage
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:Johns is 100% right and it was what I said at the time
Whether it technically meets the criteria for a cannonball, its a dangerous tackle with serious ability to injury a prone player

I don’t know that his solution is right, would have to think more about it but that sort of tackle HAS to get legislated out of the game. Whether he technically hits the hamstrings first doesn’t change his intent, which is to attack the legs and buckle the player, and if you wreck his knee is the process, so be it

That all being said, and I won’t harp on it because as others highlighted last night, he’s improved dramatically in this area… but tarps can’t react like that and get himself binned. He’s just gotta compose himself a bit.
Not sure what Johns’ solution was, but I’ll go out on a limb and guess it was daft.

I think in the NRL you want rules to be as black and white as possible. But when it comes to safety issues like this I’m more open to grey. I think they should adjust it to: “it is illegal to use dangerous force on a stationary (or near-stationary) player’s legs as judged by the referee. “

I’d like to see the rule also cover unnecessary force for players on the ground or submitting. I don’t like seeing the thugs of the game deliberately smash a prone player on the ground when a hand on them constitutes a tackle. They’re only doing it to injure.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah it's tough because you have to write a rule for it and that's how you get that tackle not technically being considered a cannon ball because of rules but it's absolutely a "you know it when you see it" type of thing.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Andrew Johns said that if there are two defenders in the tackle and momentum of the player in possession is stopped then a third man coming in should be illegal. I think if the third man in is deliberately attacking the legs of a player who is stopped and has no opportunity to see the incoming defender or brace for the tackle then he has a good point. They went on to show the Bronco's Carrigan with a third man in hip drop tackle which took out the West Tigers player and forced him from the field injured. That has to be stamped from the game as have other tackles such as chicken wing because of the likelihood of injuring the player in possession.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's really not too far different to a hip drop tackle. The tackler is throwing their body weight at a point below the centre of balance and the attacking player (Tapine) really has no option but to fold over. It's clearly very dangerous and only a matter of time before it's threatening a player's career or season.

That Carrigan one was awful. Hate seeing a player (Hastings) in such pain.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gangrenous wrote: July 31, 2022, 6:57 pm
Botman wrote:Johns is 100% right and it was what I said at the time

Not sure what Johns’ solution was, but I’ll go out on a limb and guess it was daft.

I think in the NRL you want rules to be as black and white as possible. But when it comes to safety issues like this I’m more open to grey. I think they should adjust it to: “it is illegal to use dangerous force on a stationary (or near-stationary) player’s legs as judged by the referee. “

I’d like to see the rule also cover unnecessary force for players on the ground or submitting. I don’t like seeing the thugs of the game deliberately smash a prone player on the ground when a hand on them constitutes a tackle. They’re only doing it to injure.
You're supposed to smash the other bloke when he has the ball though. And if he wants to lay down instead of running it, guess what, he's still going to cop it. The game shouldn't encourage laying down.

If we get to the point we are legislating how hard people can tackle each other then it gets a bit dull.

Sometimes people get hurt in tackles. The rules can't cover every circumstance like this guy getting away with a not quite cannon ball- but you can jam in the ribs of a guy and break one or whack a shoulder into his kidneys in just the same circumstance and it's A OK.

My central point is- not everything has to be legislated. There's room for things that are a bit ****. Not every single injury needs to be legislated against or it never stops. They've already stopped the cannonball. No one got hurt. But we want to change the rules... again!?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

That Carrigan one was tough watching. Broke the ankle. Real shame for Hastings.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: July 31, 2022, 7:29 pm Andrew Johns said that if there are two defenders in the tackle and momentum of the player in possession is stopped then a third man coming in should be illegal. I think if the third man in is deliberately attacking the legs of a player who is stopped and has no opportunity to see the incoming defender or brace for the tackle then he has a good point. They went on to show the Bronco's Carrigan with a third man in hip drop tackle which took out the West Tigers player and forced him from the field injured. That has to be stamped from the game as have other tackles such as chicken wing because of the likelihood of injuring the player in possession.
How about instead of complicating the game by adding more damn rules, we apply the ones we have?

Ref calls held- then no one hits the legs. Not a single rule added or changed.

If only we had a 2nd ref to control the ruck and be right on cue with that sort of thing...