Sydney Roosters 2023

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Sydney Roosters 2023

Post by greeneyed »

NRL 2023 team previews: Sydney Roosters free agency wrap, crystal ball

They already boasted a starstudded roster, but the addition of Brandon Smith could take the Roosters back into premiership favouritism in 2023.

BEST 17

1. James Tedesco
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Joseph Suaalii
4. Joseph Manu
5. Jaxson Paulo
6. Luke Keary
7. Sam Walker
8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
9. Brandon Smith
10. Matt Lodge
11. Angus Crichton
12. Nat Butcher
13. Victor Radley

14. Jake Turpin
15. Linday Collins
16. Terrell May
17. Egan Butcher

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... c8a2b34a25
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Sydney Roosters 2023

Post by -PJ- »

Top 2.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

-PJ- wrote: December 27, 2022, 5:10 amTop 2.
Yeah if Penrith weren’t such a ridiculously fit and well oiled machine I think you’d have to pick this squad as outright first on paper.

Tedesco
Manu
Talent in the halves
Smith
Radley
Tough forwards
Best wing combo by the length of the Flemington straight

It’s an insane squad

Having 3 blokes who’d walk into fullback at about 10 different clubs is just bloody scary.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

julian87 wrote: December 27, 2022, 5:58 am
Yeah if Penrith weren’t such a ridiculously fit and well oiled machine I think you’d have to pick this squad as outright first on paper.

Tedesco
Manu
Talent in the halves
Smith
Radley
Tough forwards

It’s an insane squad

Having 3 blokes who’d walk into fullback at about 10 different clubs is just bloody scary.
Best wing combo? Tupou has been one of the best wingers for years now, but not sure about Paulo. Don’t know if he’d make too many other clubs starting line ups.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

President Clinton wrote: December 27, 2022, 7:18 am

Tedesco
Manu
Talent in the halves
Smith
Radley
Tough forwards

It’s an insane squad

Best wing combo? Tupou has been one of the best wingers for years now, but not sure about Paulo. Don’t know if he’d make too many other clubs starting line ups.
Tupou and Sualii. Paulo won’t be near first grade. Robinson knows what he’s doing Momirovski or Allan will placehold the least important spot in their team: left centre.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

julian87 wrote: December 27, 2022, 8:31 am
President Clinton wrote: December 27, 2022, 7:18 am

Tedesco
Manu
Talent in the halves
Smith
Radley
Tough forwards

It’s an insane squad

Tupou and Sualii. Paulo won’t be near first grade. Robinson knows what he’s doing Momirovski or Allan will placehold the least important spot in their team: left centre.
I see. I was looking at the predicted team in the OP. That is a phenomenal back three in that case.

Interested to see how Keary goes this season. One or two more head knocks and he might be in trouble.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

question marks over the halves and an aging tedesco

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

bonehead wrote:question marks over the halves and an aging tedesco

Lodge covered up a real weakness for them last season. JWH is past it and they've lost Liu and Takeahiou (spelling?) in the past few years. Hasn't helped Collins having a few injuries. I'd love to have a drinking session with Smith and Radley. Would be a hoot I imagine.

They're a contender most years and next year is no different. At 100% they're one of a couple of teams that can hang with Penrith.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

bonehead wrote: December 27, 2022, 12:56 pm question marks over the halves and an aging tedesco

Really? I couldn’t disagree more. Sam Walker is ready to tear the League apart and Keary is still a commodity.

I think they’d probably be better served letting Keary go, moving Manu to 6 and using that money elsewhere but Keary does enable Manu to be a second fullback.

Most teams in the comp would love one of those 3 players to bolster their spine imo.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Tedesco is still a sublime player. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Roosters are the only team capable of taking it to Penrith.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Teddy had a fantastic RLWC. Manu was named FB of the RLWC, but at club level he won't oust Teddy. I had Tedesco among the Top 5 Aussies in every match he played. Josh Addo-Carr was phenomenal and Liam Martin along with Munster and Mitchell had a great RLWC.

Chooks will be up there as they are usually very good defensively as well.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Team Talk: Roosters 2023 overview, best 17, squad update

The Roosters will go into the 2023 season optimistic they've got the squad that can challenge for a title after a shock finals exit in week one last year.

Predicted Round 1 team

1. James Tedesco
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Paul Momirovski
4. Joey Manu
5. Joseph Suaalii
6. Luke Keary
7. Sam Walker
8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
9. Brandon Smith
10. Lindsay Collins
11. Angus Crichton
12. Nat Butcher
13. Victor Radley

14. Connor Watson
15. Terrell May
16. Egan Butcher
17. Fletcher Baker

Other: Sitili Tupouniua, Billy Smith, Corey Allan, Jaxson Paulo, Drew Hutchison, Jake Turpin, Siua Wong, Naufau Whyte, Robert Toia, Tukupa Hau Tapuha

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/01/03/tea ... ad-update/
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

What’s the line for combined games missed due to suspension from Smith and Radley?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I thought the Butcher brothers were increasingly impressive over the course of last season. So that annoys me no end.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roosters star Angus Crichton granted leave from the club

Angus Crichton’s availability for the opening round of the premiership is in doubt after he took time off from a Sydney Roosters’ pre-season camp in New Zealand to deal with personal issues. Crichton, a fixture in the Roosters back row, missed the club’s camp in Queenstown last week and only rejoined his teammates at training this week.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 3464f1335c
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Of course the salary sombrero Roosters have signed Dom Young, to add to their international backline of Tedesco, Sualii, Manu, Tupou.

Young drops bombshell on future as Roosters win race for star winger

In-demand winger Dominic Young has reportedly informed the Knights that he will join the Roosters next season. It means the Titans and Dolphins have also missed out on the 21-year-old’s signature. The Titans were willing to offer Young over $500,000 a season but it couldn’t compare to the Roosters’ reputation and premiership chances.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d6ddce1b91
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

He will be Tupous replacement.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: February 21, 2023, 9:37 am He will be Tupous replacement.
Long way to go to be as good as Tupou but he's got the talent to do it.
But i think he'll thrive under Robinson.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Finchy wrote:Of course the salary sombrero Roosters have signed Dom Young, to add to their international backline of Tedesco, Sualii, Manu, Tupou.

In-demand winger Dominic Young has reportedly informed the Knights that he will join the Roosters next season. It means the Titans and Dolphins have also missed out on the 21-year-old’s signature. The Titans were willing to offer Young over $500,000 a season but it couldn’t compare to the Roosters’ reputation and premiership chances.

I’ve never been able to get my head around the bold part. The way I understand, a player can’t go to a club for a deal below their value, eg when Parra tried signing Folau.

So these stories of “Player X signed unders to play for Roosters because of the vibe” don’t make sense. So are they saying Young’s true value isn’t over $500k?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm convinced that players don't sign on for a particular club for less than offered at other clubs. All clubs are doing dodgy ****, some clearly better than others. The NRL really needs to rethink the management of the salary cap.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 21, 2023, 5:34 pm
Finchy wrote:Of course the salary sombrero Roosters have signed Dom Young, to add to their international backline of Tedesco, Sualii, Manu, Tupou.

I’ve never been able to get my head around the bold part. The way I understand, a player can’t go to a club for a deal below their value, eg when Parra tried signing Folau.

So these stories of “Player X signed unders to play for Roosters because of the vibe” don’t make sense. So are they saying Young’s true value isn’t over $500k?
I thought it was set with a bit of leeway. So Young could sign with the Roosters for 400ish, but you couldn't sign a guy for 250ish.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Angus Crichton’s dad reveals bipolar diagnosis, indefinite NRL leave

The father of Sydney Roosters star Angus Crichton has revealed that his son is out for an indefinite period after being diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

Crichton, a key member of the Roosters forward pack, is yet to play for the club this season after sitting out both their trial games.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 32bad79e04

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 671f47d07b

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Big sombrero at Bondi.

I’m hearing they have signed Spencer Leniu.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘There’s an elephant in the room’: Roosters salary cap questions after signing yet another star

Gorden Tallis has questioned if the Roosters are under the salary cap after they reportedly signed another star in Spencer Leniu. The Roosters have recruited of Panthers premiership prop Leniu and Knights winger Dominic Young, while they’ve also re-signed star lock Victor Radley.

The Tricolours have long been accused of playing under a salary ‘sombrero’ instead of the cap, which they fiercely deny and say culture is the reason behind their ability to sign almost anyone.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... df263c98b7

Sydney Roosters set to sign Penrith prop Spencer Leniu: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 56b5b3a1ae

Penrith Panthers media release

Penrith Panthers can confirm Spencer Leniu will depart the club following the 2023 season to join another NRL team. The Panthers forward will remain with the club for the remainder of the 2023 campaign.

Having debuted for the club in 2019, Leniu has totalled 61 NRL games for the Panthers and played a significant role in the club’s back-to-back premierships. The 22-year-old prop has also represented Samoa on five occasions, including the World Cup final.

“Although it’s disappointing to see a Panthers junior sign with another NRL club, we understand Spencer is a premiership winner and international player, who has received external interest,” Panthers Rugby League CEO Matt Cameron said.

"Panthers thanks Spencer for his efforts for the club and is looking forward to seeing him run out for the Panthers for the remainder of the 2023 NRL season.”
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

I'm sure the highly qualified NRL Salary Cap auditors have been watching this, have learnt from the multiple time they missed and when they next audit the Roosters ,<checks notes> will find nothing wrong and its all down to culture.

When asked, key players will say they are here for the culture*.

*Reports of Culture being another name for brown bags are unsubstantiated at this point in time....
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

It's quite incredible that players who have a very small window to maximise they earnings from football are so willing to sacrifice income for this culture. All this while we keep hearing rumblings about player strikes until they get their "fair share". Maybe next time the NRLPA are at the negotiating table they should ask for better culture instead of more money. That seems to be more important for players.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Genuinely dont see the big problem with these recent signings.

They're getting Young and Leniu for Topou and JWH... I'd say at absolute worst that's a zero sum game in terms of cap space, and probably actuallty a net gain.
Tupou and JWH are long term staples of the squad and rep players... I think they're probably paying Young a bit more than Topou because of the nature of his market, but ill doubt Leniu is getting more money than they are paying JWH.

I get it's the roosters and they could sign Josh McCrone to replace Keary and people would complain about "cap sombrero" but objectively these are perfectly reasonable replacements for players they'll be losing
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Where’s JWH going ?

I missed this news.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

-PJ- wrote: February 28, 2023, 9:20 am Where’s JWH going ?

I missed this news.
He's 34 years old and off contract... he'll almost certainly retire at the end of this year, or piss off for a super top up in ESL for a few years
Im fairly confident he wont be a rooster beyond this year which way it goes.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Botman wrote: February 28, 2023, 9:23 am
-PJ- wrote: February 28, 2023, 9:20 am Where’s JWH going ?

I missed this news.
He's 34 years old and off contract... he'll almost certainly retire at the end of this year, or piss off for a super top up in ESL for a few years
Im fairly confident he wont be a rooster beyond this year which way it goes.
Fairynuff.

I should read more.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Didn’t Crichton just leave also? If not, he might not be long for their world.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Angus is on personal leave Mr Fui.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 28, 2023, 11:58 am Didn’t Crichton just leave also? If not, he might not be long for their world.
he was rumoured to be on the move this past off season so i think there is a very good chance he might be elsewhere in 2024... also think they'll let Tupouniua walk
The roosters also have got Egan and Nat Butcher and Siua Wong who are all good younger back rowers, and they've flatly refused to entertain releasing one of them to the Knights to get Dom Young this year. So i think their forward pack is going to undergo a sizable makeover
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Compare the Warriors starting 17 to Roosters 17, who would you move from Warriors to Roosters to strengthen the team?.. Anyone?
For a comparison closer to home, how about from the Dragons 17 outside of Ben Hunt?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 28, 2023, 11:58 am Didn’t Crichton just leave also? If not, he might not be long for their world.
he was rumoured to be on the move this past off season so i think there is a very good chance he might be elsewhere in 2024... also think they'll let Tupouniua walk
The roosters also have got Egan and Nat Butcher and Siua Wong who are all good younger back rowers, and they've flatly refused to entertain releasing one of them to the Knights to get Dom Young this year. So i think their forward pack is going to undergo a sizable makeover
Crichton extended before Xmas but now on extended personal leave

Edrick The Entertainer