'The Canberra Chameleons'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Lord Funkington
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia Soliola

'The Canberra Chameleons'

Post by Lord Funkington »

Really good writeup about the club and season 2023 here.

The Canberra Chameleons: How the Raiders defeated logic - in a tight finish, of course

What is going on down in Canberra? The Raiders, even more than usual, are impenetrable. They’re the most confusing team in the NRL, unquestionably good but also inexplicably so. They win games, but they’re not really good at anything. They’ve got lots of decent players but no superstars.

Their coach, Ricky Stuart, has been there for a million years and is on the brink of a fourth finals appearance in five years – including a Grand Final in 2019 – but there’s no such thing as Stickyball.

Read more: https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/08/10/t ... of-course/
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Re: 'The Canberra Chameleons'

Post by KasparRaider »

I agree, good to see someone doing some decent analysis of the Raiders, besides the Sportress, which is a lifeline.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The roar and the sportress both remind me of the old LWOS days and the writing comps there.

For all we know it's legend, willow and everloving anti christ writing that dross

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

It’s not 100% accurate.
The story says the Raiders have only had 1 close loss, a golden point field goal loss to the Warriors.

Pretty sure we got pipped by a point in Townsville rnd 1.

Fake news.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

-PJ- wrote:It’s not 100% accurate.
The story says the Raiders have only had 1 close loss, a golden point field goal loss to the Warriors.

Pretty sure we got pipped by a point in Townsville rnd 1.

Fake news.
Made my point.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I really enjoy the Sportress. Some lucid analysis conveyed with lively writing. Good stuff.

I'd say we aren't chameleons though. We are a team who is almost precisely as plod and ugly in round 20-23 as we were in round 1-3.

With most of the same problems, some through squad limitations, some through game plan and some self inflicted.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’ll do stats for you Ricky. Call me
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

gangrenous wrote:I’ll do stats for you Ricky. Call me Image
Hey, gangers? It's Ricky, mate. Need you to do some stats for me.

Gangers: EW and Croker are too old. We need Mooney. And Kris sux as FB.

Ricky: Are you challenging me?

Gangers: Yes. Your selections are bad, and you should feel bad.

Ricky: F you, gangers. I'll get dubby.

Gangers: his head looks like a knee and is twice as dumb.

Ricky: F you, Gangers

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Great article, proves none of us really know what we will get next.

Also poses and interesting question for the next few years. Unlike current teams, it does look like we might have a few superstars coming through in 2-3 years. Will our structure and game plan need to change to accommodate them?
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Interesting that the stats show that we are really good at shutting down the oppositions strengths even if we don't have too much of our own. As fans we know a lot more about our team than we do the opposition so maybe we don't see it and don't give our coaches the credit.

Perhaps explains why we have been pumped a few times. If we don't shut down the opposition's strengths we have very little to counter it.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

dubby wrote:
gangrenous wrote:I’ll do stats for you Ricky. Call me Image
Hey, gangers? It's Ricky, mate. Need you to do some stats for me.

Gangers: EW and Croker are too old. We need Mooney. And Kris sux as FB.

Ricky: Are you challenging me?

Gangers: Yes. Your selections are bad, and you should feel bad.

Ricky: F you, gangers. I'll get dubby.

Gangers: his head looks like a knee and is twice as dumb.

Ricky: F you, Gangers

I’d make the prettiest graph showing EW was too old Image
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think it’s a bizarre article. We’re terrible but it’s all part of a plan? The Rugby League Eye Test article was very good. Better to read that one.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Conor
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Conor »

I think they’re both good. Different approaches to analysis, but an article that casts a positive light on how we’re going is a bit refreshing. When Qld play tough / never give up etc they’re lauded, and yet our team shares *some* of those same characteristics and we tend to focus on the problems rather than appreciate what we/the coaching staff appear to be doing well.

Good reasons for all that and I’m not suggesting we’re in form, and obviously we have issues, but that article is a welcome fresh perspective and threads the needle between “happy clapping” and engaging with our side in a more optimistic way (IMO).
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Raiders Human chameleons?
Crawled across a tartan rug at half time and we were totally exhausted for the second half.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

That's a good article. Some really good insights, both in general and Raiders specific.

Interesting observation that we are quite good at neutralising the most potent aspects of the opposition attack. Gives me some confidence that dropping Croker and Starling significantly improves our defence.

Just need to sort out the left hand side issues with our attack.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: August 10, 2023, 6:20 pm I’ll do stats for you Ricky. Call me Image
Given Joel Carbone is in the box/there on game day, to the extent Ricky wants stats he has them… he seems to know them quite well after games. To suggest there’s no statistical analysis being done on game day seems to be clearly wrong.
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

For what it’s worth I have noticed in NSW Cup at Kippax a couple of times against the Roosters and The Bears (also currently part of the Roosters system) that they have a team of people set with laptops doing stats and analysis while there doesn’t seem to be anyone doing it for the Raiders.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

The part where it says" Ricky knows what he doesn't know and how he surrounds himself with people who will be able to tell him ". Hilarious stuff 😂
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

greeneyed wrote: August 10, 2023, 7:15 pm I think it’s a bizarre article. We’re terrible but it’s all part of a plan? The Rugby League Eye Test article was very good. Better to read that one.
Its something I've never considered a plan. If they planned, they would have statistics involved as part of the coaching staff / support wouldn't you think ?
I've mentioned it to my Mrs a fair bit and she has watched games and agreed.
That we play to the level of the opposition and dominate in areas to the point that good opposition players have crap games.
And average opposition players look like immortals.
I think the article was out there, long but made sense to me in this mad season, 5th with -70 odd f/a
I would of told someone they were mad if they told me this would happen after savage broke his jaw in the trial